Start by marking “Seeing Voices” as Want to Read:
Seeing Voices

Seeing Voices

(Seeing Voices #1)

When her parents decide to take a
Published April 15th 2020 by WhiteFire Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Seeing Voices, please sign up.
Olivia Smit Thank you so much for asking! It popped up on the Indigo site yesterday, so you should be able to order it there now!

Start your review of Seeing Voices
Mikayla
Feb 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars
I had no idea what I was getting into when I read this book. It was much heavier than I expected but I loved it. Skylar was an amazing character, and her struggles were very authentic. I loved the whole family. It felt so real, and sometimes I wished I could hug the characters.
The struggles and sucesses of these characters were so vivid that sometimes I had to put aside the book just to process all of it.
I don't know a good way to discribe how much I love and related to some of these themes. Th
Olivia Smit
Feb 22, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my book baby, so I'm 100% biased in my review ... (!) Seeing Voices was an absolute JOY to write, and getting ready to share it with the world is even more wonderful!

Although Skylar popped into my head as fully-developed as a real person, it took me a long time to figure out what kind of story I wanted to write about her. In the end, Seeing Voices ended up being a lot about siblings and families, pain and guilt, and also (perhaps most importantly!) togetherness and love.

This story holds
Rachel McMillan
Endorsement:

In a book that balances the hopeful with the bittersweet, Olivia Smit has crafted a lovely portrait of beauty and tenacity reminiscent of Nicola Yoon and Jennifer Niven. Tight familial bonds are strained and new relationships forged when we journey through an unexpected change that forces us to--alongside our indomitable heroine-- reimagine our concepts of beauty and fulfillment. Smit's assured voice makes Seeing Voices an immersive and compelling debut certain to stand out in the ma
Tara
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly the read I needed to begin my time of isolation. When the world seems to be grieving, it's so refreshing to read about such honest and genuine characters who grieve and come through their experiences with hope and forgiveness. Olivia Smit goes beyond sharing a story about a character with a hearing impairment. She allows you to journey through the loss of hearing, into acceptance and love for the person she now is. LOVED THIS! Can't wait to see what's next for this debut author! ...more
Amanda Tero
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good YA read! I almost instantly empathized with Skylar and her family’s trials. I appreciated the very raw emotions the family was going through, due to Skylar’s accident and injury. And I absolutely loved Cam and his sometimes awkward but honest conversations about God.

I cannot freely recommend this to all YA readers. It is so good for its intended audience, which I would say is more for teens in less-sheltered lives. Yes, it deals with anger, bitterness, rejection of God, and s
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review, celebrate-lit
Every now and then a book comes along that just surprises you in such a delightful and unexpected way that you read it almost straight through in one sitting. I try not to look at the synopses of books that I intend to read so that I don’t enter into the story with any preconceived notions, good or bad, and so that I don’t end up piecing together the plot threads too quickly. Approaching this particular book, the first thing that came to mind was synesthesia because of the title. As it turns out ...more
Charis Rae
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I was provided with an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

3.5 STAR RATING

This book was an absolute delight and perfect addition to my all-contemporary summer TBR! Seeing Voices tells the story of Skylar Brady, a teenager who recently lost her hearing in a tragic accident. As it turns out, the accident stole more than Skylar's hearing, also damaging her relationship with her brother, Mike.

The story was quaint and simple while also exploring deep t
Angeline
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ever since I heard about this book, I have been wanting to read it. And I can happily say that it was just as good as I thought it was going to be. It may even be better :). Seeing Voices is Oilvia Smit's first book and it does not disappoint, she did a wonderful job with this book and I can’t wait to see what she writes next.
Seeing Voices gripped my heart, it was a book about a girl learning how to deal with the difficulty that has come up in her life and how to fight for her family. Skylar ne
Hanne T
this book was sunshine and an open window and a nice breeze
this book was the screams and laughter of children playing in the park
this book was wood smoke and hazy twilight
this book was birds singing in the trees
this book was summer and light
this book was love and hope and family

I read this book all in one afternoon: I started it and just kept going. This is the story of Skylar and Mike, but more than that, it's the family of their family, and of growth, and of learning to live with grief and los
Taylor Bennett
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Seeing Voices takes readers on an emotional roller coaster from page one all the way until the end. The characters are real, relatable, and completely lovable. It was hard for me to pick a favorite because...aaah! I adored them all! The setting made me want to pack my bags and go visit, and, by the time I reached the final page, I realized I wasn’t ready for the story to end. Olivia Smit has better start writing a sequel or she’s going to have an uprising of angry readers on her hands!!

All in a
Connie Saunders
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
As I read this book, The Pandemic of 2020 has completely altered the lives of Senior high school students in our country and, in this book, Skylar's senior year has also been dramatically changed. An accident right before her senior year has taken her hearing but more than that, it has altered her whole family and the close relationship she once had with her brother. Everything that Skylar believed in and dreamed of has been changed.

Seeing Voices is the debut novel of Olivia Smit and it is an e
Debbie
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Olivia Smit’s debut novel "Seeing Voices" is one that is really hard to believe is a debut novel. As always as on these tour for Celebrate Lit, I had no idea what the book was about but I am delighted to say I wholly recommend this book to all readers.

"Seeing Voices" helps me understand a little more of want my grandson James experiences, he isn't deaf in both ears, but he is in one of ears. He is only Six and I can't image not being able to express what it feels like.
This book is about so much
Suzie Waltner
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Olivia Smits debut novel examines how one moment, one unplanned and unseen minute, can change your entire world.

Almost a year after a life-altering accident leaves Skylar unable to hear, she and her family arrive at her aunt’s house for the summer. While there, she begins to rediscover her confidence but also struggles with the changes in her relationships with her family.

Seeing Voices does an incredible job of putting readers in Skylar’s shoes to experience the frustration, isolation, and fear
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of this author I am reading and she stole my heart with this book.
This story pulled at all my heart strings. It was heartwarming, interesting, captivating in such a way that you would know you have read pages without stopping. My heart literally went out for Skylar and Mike. I felt all they were feeling; the pain, sad, loss and triumph. I love how the author wove faith into the story. It was so skillful and life changing. All the characters were relatable in one way or the othe
Kristiana Y. Sfirlea
This was one of my favorite winter reads - even if the story takes place in summer! I was in a bit of a reading slump with my usual genres (middle grade, fantasy), and this was a welcome and invigorating break. I couldn't put it down! My favorite aspects were the library setting and sibling relationships (though Cam and Ana were totally awesome, too). My brother and I are super close, so the majority of SEEING VOICES broke my heart, but the ending made me really happy!

Really looking forward to t
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Skylar Brady has a pretty good idea of how her life is going to turn out, and getting in a car accident the summer before twelfth grade isn’t supposed to be part of the plan. Although Skylar escapes mostly unharmed, the accident has stolen more than just her hearing from her: she’s also lost the close bond she used to have with her brother.
When her parents decide to take a house-sitting job halfway across the province, it’s just one more thing that isn’t going according to pla
Tiana
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an early copy of Seeing Voices and it was such an amazing read!
The storyline was engaging and interesting, and I loved that it was set in a Canadian town. The characters were well-written and relatable, and I've never read a book that better demonstrates family dynamics. As someone who has a hearing impaired sister, Olivia really captured the miscommunications and frustrations that can occur when one family member can't hear. I can't wait for the book to be published so I can re-read it!
Hannah
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read an early edition of Seeing Voices and it was honestly one of the best books I've ever read. I totally got lost in the story... the characters are so relatable and the small town setting is so comforting; you feel right at home. I was so sad to finish it so fast, but I didn't want to put it down! So excited to read more from Olivia!! ...more
Brooke
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet and good book! Definitely a new, not-cliche read in the Christian teen division. It’s so cool how the main character wrestles with her past experiences and how those past experiences influenced her present and her future. You’ll get totally absorbed in the story!
Deana Dick
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
At first I had a hard time getting into the book. I had figured out that Skylar had been in an accident but I thought the book was moving too slow. Oh how wrong I was. I’m glad I didn’t give up on this story because it is truly a powerful story about guilt, forgiveness and finding God. Skylar is dealing with an accident that has cost her more than she realized. How do you cope with suddenly losing your hearing? I liked how the author takes us on a journey where Skylar will come face to face with ...more
Sheridan Kunde
Feb 28, 2021 rated it liked it
I mostly liked this book but it just lacked that oomph. I would say the author is American because they seem to be obsessed with God (both Americans and the author) but Olivia is Canadian. There were also just parts of this book that rubbed me the wrong way.

There are two incidents in this book where something bad happens because Skylar isn't paying attention, something that is kind of important when you are deaf. But I think everyone zones out and has something stupid happen every once in a whil
Cheri Swalwell
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
My normal genre of books isn’t usually YA, but I read the back blurb of this book and wanted to try it. I didn’t realize the main characters in this book weren’t believers; however, I enjoyed the way the author introduced Skylar to the gospel in an authentic way through the use of Cam. Cam was probably my favorite person throughout. His character was written authentically, genuinely, and he was someone I’d like my child to hang out with. I also understood the feelings and emotions Skylar and Mik ...more
Kayla
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am one of those people who love light, fluffy books. But I think that it's good to have a balance of books that are heavier and lighter. In reality, life is hard and there has to be books that show darkness without leaving people with no hope. I think that Seeing Voices is one of those books.
Seeing Voices is about a girl who has been rendered partially deaf after a car accident. After the accident, Skylar was left feeling completely abandoned and alone especially by her older brother Mike. Sh
Patti Pierce
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a homeschooling mother, I am always on the lookout for new books for my children to read. So when I had the opportunity to read this book, I knew I wanted to read this book. With interesting characters, a realistic storyline, and more, I feel this book is one that needs to be read.

When Skylar becomes deaf as a result of an accident, life changes for her entire family and especially with her brother. Nothing is the same for the family. So they go to her aunt’s home only to find out her father’
Erin
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrate-lit
Wow. I loved this. The author did a wonderful job of taking bad happenings and problems become a wonderful story intertwining lives. Plus she took on hard topics and covered them with grace and ease. This was a great book to read and I can highly recommend it.

When I started this book I was intrigued. The further I went into this book I was in love. It deals with hurt and anger. But it also deals with disabilities and differences. Plus you find friendships and healing and finding your new normal
Amy
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Seeing Voices was a refreshing young adult novel with relatable characters and real life situations and feelings that many can relate to. Struggling teens, family fractures, and changing friends, this is a story that I would certainly recommend to teens and their families.

What parent or teen doesn't go through a growth period that results in some sort of tension? And when a tragedy or a rough patch happens, the feelings and situations can escalate.

Skylar is a seventeen girl who is watching her
Jane
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Olivia Smit is a new-to-me author. I love the title Seeing Voices since the main character is deaf. Skylar and her brother Matt have some baggage due to the accident which caused Skylar’s deafness. The reader does not find out the full extent of the baggage until near the end of the story, up until that point only bits and pieces are shared. Olivia Smit has created characters who are likeable in spite of their painful behavior. Much of that painful behavior (drinking, drug use, and driving under ...more
Kyleigh
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love, family, and forgiveness, those are the cornerstones of this story.

This is the perfect book about a summer getaway. You get all of the relaxed, beachy feelings of a summer read, but there is also a gravity to the topics covered that make it realistic. Every character, no matter how big or small, has such a perfectly palpable personality you feel like they are a part of your family.

At first, I was a little disappointed by the romance aspect of Seeing Voices, but then I realized why it frus
Nancy Wood
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The book starts out slow but with a lot of unanswered questions about Skylar's accident and her brother's strange actions. Those questions kept me reading until I really got to like and care about the characters. I've never really taken the time to think about what it would be like to be deaf and have to live among the "normal" people, and Olivia does a great job portraying the struggles-- I really felt for Skylar and can't imagine losing my hearing.

There's not a whole lot of action in this book
Naomi Downing
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t even know where to start withy my review- but I think one good place to start is: This is one of my favorite reads of 2020.

I took sign language in school, so I am interested in sign language, and deaf characters in books and movies and tv shows. So when I got this book I was looking forward to seeing what it would be like.

And it was so good! I loved the characters and how well she made each character a whole person and not just there to serve the main character, and it was obvious she di

• Dust (Heirs of Neverland, #1)
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • Swift (The Flight and Flame Trilogy, #1)
  • The Heart of a Hero (Global Search and Rescue, #2)
  • Plain Refuge (Amish Country Justice #8)
  • eXtreme Blindside
  • Dead End (Kaely Quinn Profiler, #3)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Victoria Grace the Jerkface
  • Chemicals and Christians: Compassion and Caution
  • Volition
  • Finding Peace in Wishing Bridge
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Betwixt Two Hearts (Crossroads Collection)
  • Finding the Road Home (Hearts of Oklahoma, #1)
  • Instant Daddy (Noah's Crossing #1)
Olivia Smit loves baking, visiting small towns, and writing stories that faces hard truth with hope and encouragement. Olivia has an Honours Specialization in Creative Writing, English Language, and Literature and lives in Canada with her family. Seeing Voices is her first novel, and the sequel releases on July 15, 2021.

You can also find her on Instagram and Twitter @oliviamsmit.

Seeing Voices (2 books)