Start by marking “Tokio ya no nos quiere” as Want to Read:
Tokio ya no nos quiere

Tokio ya no nos quiere

Un viaje a un futuro no muy lejano en el que una de las drogas legales es un producto químico que permite borrar de la memoria los recuerdos no deseados. En un mundo en el que se ha descubierto la vacuna contra el sida, el protagonista viaja desde Arizona al sudeste asiático envuelto en situaciones en las que el placer es la única norma.

Tokio ya no nos quiere es un libro
Published March 1st 1999 by Plaza & Janes Editores, S.A. (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Tokio ya no nos quiere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tokio ya no nos quiere

Start your review of Tokio ya no nos quiere
Szplug
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better living through a bounty of chemicals, itinerancy, unfocussed energy, casual sex, and selective memory loss, in a world in which better is a relative term that easily—perhaps ultimately—inverts itself into negative scaling. Loriga's prose is relentless and hyperactive, his dystopian vision—an interconnected world of runaway consumerism and dissipated morality in which the most popular drug is one that effects the permanent erasure of an individual's short and/or long term memory—layered wi ...more
Eva
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2013
A stream of Kerouac-like impressions of drugs, booze, sex, swimmingpools, airplanes, told by a travelling drugs-salesman in a not-to-far slightly dystopian future, who dips too deep into his own medicine which causes memory-loss. The whirlwind of anecdotes and short story snippets is entertaining and the language poetic, but quickly grows boring, as no real story-development happens. But then, about half way in, our hero overdoes his drugs and lands in a clinic, where he undergoes treatment for ...more
andeeeeee
Nov 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such a subtly psychedelic and gorgeously blissful story. abstract and kind of dark, creepy and so so beautiful. a travelling salesman peddles a drug that erases the memory. either whole lives or single events. but then begins to sample his own wares, gradually losing his mind, not just his memory, all the while trying to avoid representatives of the drug company he works for (when he can even remember who it is he works for and what he does). amazing.
Jairo Eduardo
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like cyberpunk, distopia, disordered timeline and a sense of anxiety this book is for you. Some parts need to be read carefully because the chaos in the timeline.
Kye Alfred Hillig
In the spirit of burroughs' traveling brand of insanity, Loriga maps a strange earth, sick with drugs, sex, and bizarre happenings. Every page was a taste of edible oddity; things that seem impossible for the human mind to concoct. For those who love to step out into strange and dark worlds that seems to smirk at so much ugliness, this is your book.
Grace
Jun 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my all-time favorites. Apparently it's now translated into English, but I just can't bring myself to read that one...
Kat
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tokyo doesn’t love us anymore stuck with me for half a year. On my couch, on my table, in my bag. Never quite the book I want to read, never quite the book I want to give up on.
The idea behind the novel is brilliant. A not too distant future and an unnamed drug erasing the mind of those who would rather forget than to remember. The protagonist, the company he works for, the drug he sells traveling globally, all remain without a name. In the style of a diary everything is witnessed through his e
Gurldoggie
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wild and sad. A completely believable modern love story without a single named character and insane quantities of drugs. Perfectly captures the impossible difficulty of forming healthy emotional attachments in a world blurred by computer screens and chemicals. Sharp, honest, funny and depressing.
Joey Nease
I just don't know. The cover is nice looking on the copy I read. The synopsis sounds cool. That's about it.
Mericlander
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing internal monologue, makes you think about everything that is inside yourself and never comes out. Very personal narrative, a visceral style and a surprisingly mesmerizing atmosphere.
Tony Day
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had days and weeks like this but, sheesh, this is a sad, wild ride. Beautifully told but also like sitting through a story trapped on a long train ride with a manic companion.
Laima Natkeviciute
'' Sadness has no end, happiness does.''
Ana
Mar 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ana by: Maria Gala
Loriga es un autor increíblemente peculiar. Éste es el segundo libro que me leo de él y termino con la misma sensación que en el anterior.

Dice tantísimas cosas que cuesta asimilarlas. Escribe como si estuviera hablando sin parar y a veces es un cúmulo de sinsentidos que, a la vez, no te dejan indiferente. Aunque tengo que admitir que Tokio ya no nos quiere me ha llegado más que Héroes.

La sociedad que relata Loriga no me parece tan diferente de la de hoy en día. Todo el mundo está perdido y desea
Bookmarks Magazine

Bleak and hallucinogenic, Loriga's tale, published five years ago in Spain, follows a similar outline to ones used by William Burroughs, J.G. Ballard, and Philip K. Dick before him, not to mention Charlie Kaufman's screenplay Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Critics praise Loriga's ability to piece together a story that threatens to fall apart at any moment. Although it's tough to connect to the anonymous narrator, the author "adds romantic yearning and original wit to an increasingly ubiq

Sean
Aug 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Counter culture folks
Its a futuristic take on a "flowers for Algernon" type awakening; except its a de-awakening of sorts. The main character is a traveling salesman selling a drug that helps you forget the past. He starts taking it and loses his sense of reality and his ability to tell his story.

I've heard of people saying they don't like the ending due to the fact that he has gone so insane by the end of the story he can't resolve some of the key climatic questions to the story. However it just further enhances th
Megan
I just couldn't get in this book. First I was turned off by his gritty portrayal of places in Arizona where I've spent some time. His depictions seemed pretty unrealistic, or at least forced. You've never been to Sedona or Flagstaff, have you Loriga? I was willing to let it pass considering hey, it's a book, and it's supposed to be set in the "very near future" anyway. Whatever. I wasn't too captivated by the story though. Hey, another motel! Another swimming pool! Some sex, drinking and drugs! ...more
Gabriela
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopia, spanish
Cyberpunk, chaotic, dystopian - way too much chemical blend and dizzy encounters. The timeline is like a wandering metaphor in itself, at times tiring, highly disturbing, then turning into a picturesque web of contemporary real elements. I haven't found out the funny part in this ... The warning where life nowadays might be heading to is vivid and dramatic. I wouldn't have imagined Bangkok the way it is described in this book, nonetheles, any capital could be a blend of narcotics this way, quite ...more
John
Apr 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, dystopian
Cool style that tackles an interesting question in uninteresting ways. Aside from neurological disorders, there were no drawbacks to the chemical. No social negatives, on a personal or global level, even though its never presented positively. So what we're left with is a book about taking drugs and having sex. Reading it while travelling through Vietnam and having already seen many of the other locations in the book was the one redeeming factor.
Lynne
Jul 12, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fiction
An interesting story. Set in a near future perhaps? I was never entirely sure. And I'm still not sure if the characters wife and/or daughter are dead, or missing, or what?? The last section of the book, once our main man is trying to recover his memory, is by far the best bit. It really does leave you feeling unsure and a bit bewildered.
Kacie
That was quite an interesting book. The plot line was very... different than anything I've ever read. That's to be expected, considering the subject matter, though. I really mostly enjoyed this book. It felt like I was sort of detached from the main character, just as he was detached from his own life. Definitely a different read, but most enjoyable.
Rebecca Stonehill
I knew from very early on that this just wasn't my kind of book. The writing itself was quite compelling, in a seedy, gritty kind of way, but there wasn't enough of a plot or storyline to hang the writing on. I managed about a third of it but then gave up. If you're in to Haruki Murukami or Henry Miller, it may be more for you but, despite the promising blurb on the back, it just wasn't for me!
Stacey
Apr 02, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's like Philip K. Dick with more sex scenes! How could it go wrong? He went wrong with the ending, which seems like a cop-out. Most of the book is a good read, it's just the last chapter that sucks.
Casey Rain
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Finally finished reading this. One of the strangest, most difficult yet enjoyable books I've ever read. I suspect at some point, I'll read it again and much of what didn't make sense upon first read, will become illuminated.
Adam
Oct 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drugs. Wierd ones...and scenes that you could not dream. This book is a ride. The back cover says: Jack Kerouac meets Bladerunner.
Mikael Kuoppala
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An odd tale that applies some interesting stream of consciousness strorytelling. A mystery, a nightmare, a dystopia.
Evelina Rimkute
First looked funny. Then a bit boring. Later the reader could feel how deeply and beautfully the hero is in love.

Holly
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
beautiful in a bleak, hallucinatory way but too tedious and hollow to be enjoyable.
Steven Felicelli
am a sucker for headlong, ironically unironic prose, so may be overrating it a bit - but Loriga is a find for me (and I find fewer and fewer authors this side of the canon)
Ian Douglas
Gloriously chaotic. Far fetched and yet close to home.
Catherine Williams
Apr 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I have been reading this book for about 2 minutes and I already don't get it. I love the front cover but that's it. I know some people may say that I didn't give the book enough time but with this book I know that I won't enjoy it no matter what mood I am in. I tried reading it and it just was a book which I know I didn't enjoy.

• Los asquerosos
  • Beatriz y los cuerpos celestes
  • Leviathan
  • Las ganas
  • Luces de bohemia: Esperpento
  • Winter Journal
  • Captain Alatriste (Adventures of Captain Alatriste, #1)
  • The Loser
  • The Best Thing That Can Happen to a Croissant
  • Half-Earth: Our Planet's Fight for Life
  • Ask the Dust (The Saga of Arturo Bandini, #3)
  • Familia no hay más que una y el perro lo encontramos en la calle
  • Huset vid vägens slut
  • Vertical Poetry: Recent Poems
  • Los cachorros
  • Hero: David Bowie
  • Malaherba
Jorge Loriga Torrenova, más conocido como Ray Loriga es un escritor, guionista y director de cine español.

Tras trabajar en diversos oficios y publicar relatos en diferentes publicaciones como Underground o El canto de la tripulación, debutó en 1992 con su novela Lo peor de todo. Ésta tuvo gran éxito de público y crítica y fue publicada en toda Europa, como ejemplo de la literatura de la llamada Ge

News & Interviews

“Es el recuerdo, no el olvido, el verdadero invento del demonio” 11 likes
“If everything that looks like love really were love, my God, this would be a different and better world and even the darkest nightmares would be followed by unbearably happy days.” 4 likes