Start by marking “My FBI: Bringing Down the Mafia, Investigating Bill Clinton, and Fighting the War on Terror” as Want to Read:

3.41  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A spectacular New York Times and Washington Post bestseller, My FBI is the definitive account of American law enforcement during the Clinton years and in the run-up to September 11. Louis Freeh is clear eyed, frank, the ultimate realist, and he offers resolute vision for the struggles ahead.

Bill Clinton called Freeh a "law enforcement legend" when he nominated him as the F
Published October 3rd 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about My FBI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My FBI

Jack Lehnen
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
What a snoozer ! A writer He isnt . Lots of endless ramblings about how wonderful he is and how he kept his distance from Bill Clinton due to all the funny business going on over at the White House. I felt it was pretty much, I made a few mistakes in my career , but for the most part Iam a boy scout .

It had a few interesting sections that filled in a few gaps with regard to terrorists, but , for the most part it was all over the board . I hate that I just cant stop and toss a book once I have st
Susan
May 31, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting perspective on things like building a case against the Unabomber, fighting terrorism, and the limitations of the FBI. According to himself, Freeh is full of integrity and did a great job as director. He convinced me, but I'd be curious to hear other opinions about him.
Ice
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
For nearly a dozen years, Louis J. Freeh has been pointedly silent about the man who appointed him director of the FBI. That moratorium ends officially and loudly with the publication of Freeh's My FBI, a scorching account of his relationship with Bill Clinton and of leading the bureau at a time when, as Freeh writes, the president's "scandals . . . never ended."

To understand the depth of Freeh's antipathy, consider this one anecdote: Sometime after he resigned in 2001, Freeh ran into the former
Jon Moeller
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this. Mr. Freeh was my first Director and I had the chance to spend time with him on several occasions. He like to bust my chops, which I was good with. What is interesting (reading this years later), is the foreshadowing of the Mueller and Comey successions, as well as the non-stop and on-going Clinton issues. Freeh addresses remaining apolitical as FBI Director and did a great job of doing so (even with the Clintons' antics). Makes you wonder if Comey actually read his bo ...more
Dora
May 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was enjoying it until the huge editing error. Mr. Freeh talks about a date that should be seared in every American's mind. A date like December 7, 1941 or September 11, 2001. He says we should remember April 19, 1996.... what.... no the Oklahoma City bombing happened in 1995. How could that slip by editing? Really detracts from the point Mr. Freeh is trying to make by using the wrong date. I just couldn't believe it and it was in the print book and the audio version.

Face palm.
Olga
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not for me. I was interested in the history and the politics but there was a lot of flattering of all the people mentioned - not that I thought that they should be insulted - just that I thought pausing to say how great, smart, gorgeous, etc everyone was cut into the flow of the story and made me lose interest. I didn't finish it. Also the guy reading had a strange pace and inflection. I will try this book in print rather than audio CD so I can skim over the flattery.
John Ayer
This book was more interesting than I thought it would be. I had more questions than answers when the book finished. Freeh did point out that essentially Washington is a very ego driven vindictive place where people care more about themselves and their own position in the power plays than the problems the country faces. Of course he exempted himself and a few others, but, after reading this I think all of the players in D.C. probably feel the same way, as if the other guy is the narcissistic "I' ...more
Caroline Ragsdale
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down! It was fascinating. I have utmost respect for Freeh's integrity and leadership.
Ann Amadori
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at what went on behind the scenes during Louis Freeh's time as FBI Director - investigating Bill Clinton for the Whitewater deals, finding spies like Bob Hanssen and domestic bombers like Timothy McVeigh, the Unabomber, & Walter Leroy Moody. A look at overseas terrorist attacks on the US at Khobar Towers, the Cole, and others. Also a backward look at Ruby Ridge and Waco. As well as his time as a judge and prosecutor and FBI agent. I learned, as I thought was the case, that t ...more
Brian
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Louis Freeh provides an interesting look into the world of the FBI. The book takes an overview approach with specific vignettes of his time at the organization and how it evolved (or lack thereof) over the years. Freeh was director during a turbulent time when trust in the FBI was at a low and worked one of the toughest cases in its history with the Kohbar towers investigation. This investigation is the focal point of the book and done very well. He also covers a lot with the Bob Hansen treason ...more
Michelle
Aug 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book read like a children's book after reading Charlie Wilson's War. This book didn't go into detail about any of the cases during Freeh's tenure; it was more of an overview of the cases during his time as head of the FBI. I didn't know much about him before reading this book and he seems like a good guy, but there was tons of material he could have written about instead of talking about how his jogging routine and commute changed and lavishing praise on everyone he worked with. Bryan Burro ...more
Ryan
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This memoir reflects the outstanding career of Louis Freeh, who was appointed the top cop position during the Clinton administration. Freeh is a man of high integrety and his actions and decisions during his time as the Director showed this. At times it seems like he is tooting his own horn. However, I don't think that him doing this is gloating. I believe that he is simply defending his actions in the face of criticism.
Freeh's decisions during tough investigations show how to run an agency wit
Rick
Feb 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Pretty good book (actually I listened to this one). Freeh was the FBI director for about 8 years in the 1990s, almost entirely during the Clinton administration. He gives an interesting account of the war on terror pre-9/11, including the attacks on Kovar towers around 1996. Freeh definitely isn't complementary of the Clinton administration. It's an interesting read for anyone looking for info on the government's failures in preventing the 9/11 attacks. As critical as Freeh is of Clinton, he mak ...more
Samantha
Mr. Freeh really went after President Clinton in this book. I wish he would have provided a lot more details about this. I understand that he had to investigate him and how terrible it was that the president put him in that situation but it seemed way more personal. He highlights good things that happened in his time at the FBI but didn't really get into it too much. He got into things did wrong even less. I just expected so much more from him. He appears arrogant on TV and does in the book also ...more
Brian Martin
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My FBI is one of the best books I’ve ever read. It gives great insight to the major events in law enforcement though the Clinton administration through 9-11.

Before reading it just know that it has a conservative bias to it but I don’t think that gets in the way of most of the facts discussed. Louis Freeh is very hard on presidents Clintons stance on law enforcement and he does not sugar coat his feelings towards him. However he does speak highly of Hilary Clinton and Al Gore that’s why I don’t f
Abram
Apr 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Its hard to say exactly why but, it might be in part because of admiration for Judge Freeh. It was refreshing to see someone who was true to moral values and principles rise to an office of high standing in our government with no other motive than to do a good job. It doesn't read like an action novel but if you stick it out you will be rewarded by admarition for the service Louis Freeh gave to our Country.
Karol
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, read-in-2009
Louis Freeh gives an informative and fascinating account of what it's like to be the director of the FBI. Most fascinating to me was the insight on why Mr. Freeh took some of the positions he did, and why he followed some of the methods he chose. He certainly dealt with a multitude of issues during his service for the FBI, from organized crime, to domestic terrorists, to presidential scandal. Well worth the time to read!
Derek
Feb 12, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting point of view from the former head of the FBI. Unfortunately, it felt like there was a lot of information that he wasn't able to tell us, but there was some candor on his part on how he felt towards President Clinton and his leadership ability (or possible lack thereof). I came away with the feeling that Louis Freeh is a very principled man who wanted to get some things off his chest.
Nuke
Jul 19, 2007 marked it as to-read
I gave this book as a birthday gift to ... errrr ... well, someone close at heart. Why? Because it's close to what he's doing.
But I have to ask him what he thought about the book before I have anything to say here. The only thing I can say after scan read the book is that it was a Pretty interesting book, really. Reveals many stories behind a closed FBI door.
Christopher Giesen
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
The FBI is one of my favorite subjects to read about so this novel was an easy choice. I found it informative and well written but at times it seemed self serving. Nonetheless I enjoyed the novel and was able to see some interesting views on major political and historical events through the perspective of a man who directed the FBI through these times.
Hollydabchotmail.com
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Read many parts of this book and enjoyed the read. It seemed somewhat one-sided, but very interesting.
Discusses Khobar Towers, the fact that Louis Freeh did not care for Pres. Clinton and issues he had to deal with during Clinton's presidency. Also discusses the Mafia and issues leading up to 911 and the War on Terror.
Terry
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a very interesting perspective on the national law enforcement agency actions during a very significant period in US history. Freeh brings a professionalism and nonpartisan perspective that is admirable. I found the book well worth the reading!
John Williams
Oct 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
This could have been a great book, the stories are there. I think Freeh wrote it himself, or I hope that he did since the author has almost zero ability to write a good story. Freeh could maybe write memoes and this been is one.
Jeremiah
An interesting if unbalanced report of what it was like to be the head of the FBI during the Clinton administration and the early years of the W Bush administration. After Freeh's account, my impression is that Freeh was the exactly wrong person to be running the FBI in a post Cold War world.
Peter
Jan 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The choice of books I read is mostly limited to the resale section of the library. This is another fine selection from the resale section. The book is an easy to read and interesting recap of the recent times, especially hearing about President Clinton's legal issues from the POV of "The Man". : )
Rebecca
Aug 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
I just finished this book but it took me a loooong time to get through. I thought that the history parts were interesting, but it was really just Freeh giving shout outs to all of his poilitcal friends. Boooring...
Joe Wisniewski
Feb 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very personable read. While the title implies political considerations, those accusations of a Clinton WH simply not interested in intelligence matters has been borne out in other biographies.
Lalaynm
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
very interesting but dragged greatly after his personal story was finished
Jo
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it
interesting insight into the fbi during the Clinton Admininstration.
Kim
May 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Eh! It was okay, but certainly not riveting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Unlimited Access : An FBI Agent Inside the Clinton White House
  • Taking Heat: The President, the Press, and My Years in the White House
  • Does America Need a Foreign Policy?: Toward a Diplomacy for the 21st Century
  • Zero Footprint: The True Story of a Private Military Contractor's Covert Assignments in Syria, Libya, and the World's Most Dangerous Places
  • Ten Minutes from Normal
  • Cold Zero: Inside the FBI  Hostage Rescue Team
  • To See and See Again: A Life in Iran and America
  • The Secret Service: The Hidden History of an Enigmatic Agency
  • Where the Right Went Wrong: How Neoconservatives Subverted the Reagan Revolution and Hijacked the Bush Presidency
  • Destructive Generation: Second Thoughts About the '60s
  • The Crusader: Ronald Reagan and the Fall of Communism
  • A World Transformed
  • Blood Sport: The Truth Behind the Scandals in the Clinton White House
  • Alfred Hitchcock: The Man Who Knew Too Much (Icons)
  • The Truth About Hillary: What She Knew, When She Knew It, and How Far She'll Go to Become President
  • Cop : A True Story