Start by marking “The Night Before (Savannah, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Night Before (Savannah, #1)

The Night Before

(Savannah #1)

Blood Will Be Spilled. . .

In the dark shadows of a sultry southern town, a serial killer strikes. It's an act of sinister precision that has happened many times before. . .every victim an offering to a hunger that can never be sated. . .

Night After Night. . .

The next morning, Caitlyn Montgomery Bandeaux wakes covered in blood. But Caitlyn has no memory of the night before,
Published March 1st 2003 by Zebra

Colleen
I like Lisa Jackson's books but I do admit she tends to go overboard with her details. I find myself skimming through quite a bit of it to get to some actual dialogue. I liked this book, but I found myself skimming A LOT! It was a pretty long book and I think she could have cut through at least 100 pages by toning down the details.
Kaitlin
This book made me sort of uncomfortable. I understand the need for "romantic suspense" to generally have the main character fall in love, but in this scenario it was completely inappropriate. I don't care how much stretching of the truth of the protagonist's condition the author did, it really was just wrong. The story itself would have been great without this romance. Heck, I'd probably even be ok if they started developing "feelings" but didn't pursue them until the protagonist was healthy, or ...more
Rick
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather plodding, contrived thriller that was good enough to keep me reading, but not good enough to make me seek out this particular author again. And, oddly, the author seemed to have an obsession with smoking. Countless times, characters were lighting up and almost every one of them smoked. Yet none of it was germane to the story, so the constant mention of it seemed distracting and weird.
Elaine
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This was my first read of this author but definitely won't be my last. From the setting of the book, in Savannah, to the characters and twists and turns, Linda Jackson provides her reader with enough drama, thrills and entertainment to make this a gripping read. I'm already lining up her next book, The Morning After. Hopefully it's as good if not better than this one.
Kari
Jul 10, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: skimmed, 2010
I'll admi to being disappointed. I couldn't finish the book. The editing in this thing was awful. How many times did Reed have to wonder if his partner knew more about the dead husband than she was letting on? I think he asked himself that 6 times over 2 pages. Not sure if I want to attempt he sequel. I'll go back got the NewOrleans series. Hopefully that will be beter.
Danielle
Jan 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF... I'm glad I bought this for less than a dollar.

oh well. I have plenty of options
Alicia
Aug 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Writing wasn't great, characters were forced. Motive wasn't strong and overall it was just disappointing.
Maureen
Jun 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The story builds excitement--like soap opera excitement--unbelievable. Characters not well developed. Drones on. In short, "Trashy summer read."
GracieKat
May 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: not a living soul
Recommended to GracieKat by: Her New Orleans series
Kellie
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5. The book itself was ok. Just another run of the mill suspense/crime book. The few twists there were, were pretty predictable. The perspective of the detectives seemed completely useless to me. Neither of them added anything to the story except misogyny and.... nope, that's about it. The ending was entirely disappointing. The killer was caught (somehow, honestly we aren't given much insight as to how they figured out where to find the killer) and then we're snapped into the ending chapter wh ...more
Debbie Heaton
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
In Jackson’s suspense novel, a serial killer is picking off victims one by one in the dead of night. When Caitlyn Montgomery Bandeaux wakes up covered in blood, she has no memory of what happened. When the police find her estranged husband dead, Caitlyn finds herself wanted by the authorities. Not knowing what else to do, Caitlyn turns to psychologist Adam Hunt to help her piece together the haunting and fragmented memories that have begun to surface. And when all is said and done, she finds her ...more
Kelly Moran
Jul 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
romantic suspense, heavy on suspense.
this is the first book i've read of hers, and liked it. it wasn't gushy, had good twists. i'll definitely read more of hers. the only real fault was the psychiatric medical angle. not real accurate, but to my understanding, she knew that. it was played up for the book.
Mary
Feb 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
About 300 pages too long with ramblings that add nothing to the plot. I did not like the characters, relationships or storyline; especially the weak paranormal aspect.
Linda
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another great Book by Lisa Jackson! A real page turner!!
Terrie Fox Erhardt
I didn't finish this. There is no place to move the book to except "Read" or "To read".
Samantha Porter
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
More 4.5 stars then 5.

Very good book. Lots of twists and turns.
Katherine
2,8 / 5*

Jévanečky, to mě bavilo skoro o polovinu míň, než jsem čekala.
-_-

Anita
2.5 Stars

This book is chock full of the makings of Korean makjang (see: Dramabeans - Glossary, scroll down to the makjang entry) as each new, deep dark Montgomery family (and extended family) secret is revealed. There's the "Montgomery Curse", mysterious deaths, family secrets that weren't secrets, gossip about incest in the family... that wasn't really gossip, more and more deeper secrets...

But I’ve got to hand credit where credit is due: I got sucked in.

As much as I was trying not to roll my
Sabrina
The idea for this book was good but the execution was horrendous. The writing was choppy, POV switched multiple times within the chapter without letting you know who it was right away or had any connection with the sentence from the previous chapter. The dialogue was trite and the characters annoying, lacking depth or more than one emotion and everyone had a low IQ. There was a ton or repetitive dialogue, details and inner thinking/observations. The book could have been a lot shorter and told th ...more
Joanne
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Montgomery family are the rich family in town going back a few generations. With that wealth has come "The Montgomery curse which has to do with mental illness, incest, womanizing, and mysterious deaths in the family that are occurring in a systematic fashion. So when Caitlyn Montgomery Bandeaux wakes up in her blood-soaked bedroom, she knows something is very wrong. Problem is, she can't remember where she was or what she did the night before. That becomes a huge problem when she finds out ...more
Shannon Hooks
Cross between mystery and thriller to me. Starts out really slow. But as the book continues it picks up. To the point that your looking at the thin slice of book left and can't believe it will all be worked out in the little amount of pages to still be read. Author is a bit flowery and descriptive. To the point where you're like -get on with it. I finished it because I could not figure out the story for the life of me. There's a couple twists- I had figured one part of it out, but was still deba ...more
Jovdb
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was just way too wordy!! I just skimmed the last parts of the book because there was nothing going on that needed that much description.

I usually like books by this author but the relationship and unprofessional conduct between Adam and Caitlyn was too much. I don’t think that was necessary for the story and it was just a broken she too far.

Also, there was too much going on here - the family was all over the place, way beyond dysfunctional! And the extended family - just bizarre!

Sorry, I w
Teresa
Oct 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I struggled with this book by Lisa Jackson. Unfortunately the story never really grabbed my attention and I wasn't invested in what was happening in the story. The premise was intriguing enough, but I found the characters lacking something and I found myself not really caring about what happened in the story.

This book was a miss for me. But, I enjoy Jackson as a writer, this one just didn't grab me.
Penny Laster
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you reading

The book started out slow,and to many characters introduced at one time. As soon as I figured out who was who and how they intertwined I could not put the book down. It was a roller coaster of who done it, right down to the last page. As usual I cannot wait to go to the next book in this series. I recommend this book to everyone.
Casey Hickman
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I feel like I read this book twice. Repeat repeat repeat the same information over and over. Too much detail. But the overall story was twisted and entertaining. Hard to see how this detective gets another book though. He basically did squat to solve this case.
Plum-crazy
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a cracking book - a really good read that kept me engrossed throughout & I found Caitliyn's predicament absorbing reading. I did workout what one of the mysteries was but couldn't be sure which way it would play out....& I didn't workout "whodunnit" either!

Jolean O'Connell
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such an awesome book, just like the others I've read by you have been. You're books can truly be called mysteries, because a lot of the time, you don't get what you expect, like most mysteries I've read by other authors. They are truly great books, and I'll continue to read them.
Anita Hargreaves
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Amy
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a real page turner
Betty Spates
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Not bad. I liked the story line.
  • Enchantress (Medieval Trilogy, #1)
  • Hush
  • A Clean Kill (April Woo, #9)
  • What She Doesn't Know
  • Homesong
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Innocent as Sin (St. Kilda Consulting, #3)
  • Sudden Death (FBI Trilogy, #1)
  • The Other Daughter
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2; Shadows #2)
  • Fire & Water
  • Fatal Tide
  • Count to Ten (Romantic Suspense, #6; Chicago, #5)
  • Dead Before Dark

Lisa Jackson is the number-one New York Times bestselling author of more than 85 novels, including Afraid to Die, Tell Me, You Don’t Want to Know, Running Scared, Without Mercy, Malice, and Shiver.  She is also the co-author of the Colony Series, co-written with her sister, Nancy Bush. There are over 20 million copies of Lisa Jackson’s books in print in twenty languages.

Before she became a natio

Savannah (3 books)
  • The Morning After (Savannah #2)
  • Tell Me (Savannah #3)