Start by marking “Sword of Fire (The Justice War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sword of Fire (The Justice War, #1)

Sword of Fire

(The Justice War #1)

The celebrated DEVERRY series is an epic fantasy rooted in Celtic mythology that intricately interweaves human and elven history over several hundred years.

Published February 20th 2020 by HarperVoyager

To ask other readers questions about Sword of Fire, please sign up.
Loomy Mišurda i don't think you have to re-read all the books, i think it will be like meeting and old friend and it will all come naturally and you will remember..…morei don't think you have to re-read all the books, i think it will be like meeting and old friend and it will all come naturally and you will remember.. or maybe you will have the feeling like you know it from previous life...(less)

Start your review of Sword of Fire (The Justice War, #1)
Navessa
Dec 12, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arc, berkley, 2020

Uh, high fantasy with human & elven magic, mayhem, and political intrigue? YES, PLEASE.

Thank you to Berkley for granting our ARC of this!

Blog | FB | Twitter | IG | Pinterest | Tumblr | YouTube
Mark
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A superstar read

Really enjoyed read this book, a excellent character based epic fantasy and real good start to a brand new series by this author.

I have been reading her Deverry series ever since the first book was published, shes in my 10 favourite authors of all time and I have missed reading her deverry series.

This set 100s of year in the future.

Recommended to all my Goodreads friends.
Ellie
Mar 01, 2020 marked it as on-hold  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arc, series
im really not enjoying this (the dialogue is so stilted and it's super confusing) but maybe im just an idiot so ill give it back to work and if the other girls like it, i'll give it another shot
Mark Lawrence
I've not read this yet (though I have read many others in the same world, which were great.

I was sent a copy though, and my wife - a huge Katherine Kerr fan - has read it and loved it.
Sandra (LadyGrey Reads)
Review coming soon

Old comments
I screamed when I found out this was coming out.
The books about Deverry shaped so much of my Fantasy writing today and I felt the same emptiness after finishing the last one (back in 2011) as I felt after I finished the last Harry Potter book. Now February cannot come soon enough.
Blodeuedd Finland
I listened to this and I do confess that I do not know how to spell anything! So I will just not mention places or names for everyone cos yikes. I mean I did read the previous series and did I know how to pronounce things back then. It's like Welsh mixed with something else.

Anyway, you do not have to have read the previous series (15 books!) to get this. That series takes place 300 (and more) years before this. Now the world is closing in on the renaissance and it is such a different world than
Lauren
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First a bit of a disclaimer: I've been completely in love with the Deverry series since I first discovered it in seventh grade (way back when it was only about half finished), so my five star rating is probably a bit inflated. It's still the main fantasy series I hold up as an example of my favorite fantasies. I never expected to see more from this universe after the primary series was wrapped up several years back, but I was thrilled to find out that this new book was coming.

"Sword of Fire"
Lauren
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*3.5*

I think I would love it more if I read the original series first
Traveling Cloak
SYNOPSIS

In the Kingdom of Deverry, bards are highly regarded as the voice of the commoner. When one of the most well-regarded bards is allowed to starve himself in an attempt to force change, the people are on the verge of revolt.

Alyssa and Dovina are two ladies of the court who side with the commoners. They have come up with a plan to retrieve an ancient text that highlights traditional law that would turn current political theory on its head.

As each traverses the Kindgom to fulfill their end
John Adams
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Finished reading it! Loved it! I'll submit a full-length review to the British Fantasy Society soon and cross post here the link to it in due course, but many thanks in the meantime to Harper Collins UK for sending me an advance review copy.
Lori
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love these books. Its been years since the last Deverry book so I had forgotten how simple the writing is without much complexity to the plot. When I started reading I was wondering if I would still be interested since Ive been very impatient with books lately. But once again it got under my skin and I became attached to the characters and was charmed once again. So far no idea who is a reincarnated soul from the past ( this takes place a few hundred years later and past history is ...more
April Wheeler
Feb 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
unfortunately this book wasn't for me.
Ffion
does anyone know if i can read this without reading the other 15 books before?
Claire
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not an unbiased review. I adore the Deverry books and this new one is a welcome return to the world. In an amazing change for a fantasy novel progress, both social, technological and economical, has been made since we last visited. These are the logical extensions of events already chronicled by the author (I am assuming that this is also penned by Cadda Cerrmor although she is uncredited in this book). Canals and coaches have made their appearance, literacy and some education (even for ...more
Anders
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time-skip sequels (though really, this is an all-new series) in fantasy are very interesting to me, especially when the author has thought through the implications of technological, political, and economic development. Luckily, from the earlier books in the Deverry Cycle, Katharine Kerr has spent a lot of time thinking about Deverrian society changes over time (the earlier series, after all, took place across 600 or so years). For new readers, the past will provide a rich history, with the new ...more
M.J.
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful return to Deverry

In only a few words, Deverry and its rich cast of characters, are once more brought to life.
A wonderful new addition.
Nothing else ever quite matches up to these novels. Bring on the next book.
Smart Bookaholics Inc Bookstore
Wow! This was my first book in this series! I loved loved loved the fantasy in this story! I'm going to be reading from book 1 soon! Thank you Berkley Publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Shane Jardine
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted at www.archeddoorway.com

I have been a fan of Katharine Kerrs books since I first discovered my love of reading science fiction and fantasy, and while I like all of her books, The Deverry Cycle will always be my favorite series of hers. Since its been over 10 years since The Silver Mage released I thought we had seen the end of The Deverry Cycle, so I was pretty excited to find out we were getting a new book this year. I started reading Sword Of Fire the moment I got home from
Aleshia (Mad Scibrarian)
This review is also posted on my blog Mad Scibrarian.

I am a brand new reader diving into the world of Deverry here at its 16th novel. It is rather accessible to new readers as it is a first book in a new trilogy set within the Deverry series and was generally easy to follow along and pick up on everything. I am fairly certain that there are historical references that seasoned Deverry readers will enjoy, but to a new reader, were not distracting in anyway and mainly showcased the fact that the
Andrew Hurst
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a welcome return to the Deverry world and it concerns events about 300 years later than the Dragon Mage series. It is not essential to have read any of the previous 15 books (although they are excellent and highly recommended). There are, however, historical references to characters from previous books and I am certain that more will reappear in future books. The plot seems to revolve more around the politics of the Deverry world and there are hints that many of the protagonists are ...more
Jon Lawton
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I own and have read all 15 prior books multiple times.

That being said, you don't require any knowledge of the series to thoroughly enjoy this book. The plot pivots around something written by one of the main characters in the first Deverry Saga, but that's just trivia rather than essential information.

To the meat of it - I loved this. Strong female protagonists, well paced, relatively short by fantasy standards, political intrigue, forgotten knowledge... It's truly excellent.

It lacks
Donna Mackie
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i have waited many years for this story to pick up and continue in some shape or form, and i wasn't disappointed, seeing some characters were like welcoming old friends you haven't see in a long time, and feelings of melancholy when you remember former characters. While it took me a while to get back into the story, not once did i feel like i needed to put it down and come back to it like i have with other writers in the past. While slow in some parts there was enough to keep me enthralled until ...more
Kathy
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book more than I did. I got to the point where I was tired of the superior attitude of the female characters who were carefully manipulating all the male characters without damaging fragile male egos. All of this to arrange the presentation of an old book that would then cause the male authority to realize they hadn't been following tradition after all. I did like the colorful world the author created, and some of the characters were initially interesting, but fell a bit ...more
Joe Crow
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved the Deverry books for ages, since I first bought a copy of Daggerspell decades ago. Id been hoping Katherine would start exploring the future development of the setting, moving out of the medieval era of Deverry and towards the early modern period shes been hinting at in various in-character footnotes for most of the series, and it looks like thats what were getting here. Excellent work, and I cant wait for the next one. ...more
Sean
Mar 02, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, the story was compelling- I'm usually much more fond of characters than the story, but this was the other way around, sadly. The dialogue felt stilted and forced most of the time, and the characters were somehow too good. Maybe I'm jaded. I'll give The Justice War #2 a shot should it come to print.

FWIW, the characters & dialogue in the short story shared at the end (mine was a ARC I won from DAW) felt much more relaxed and genuine
Tanya Meikle
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read the entire series of Deverry twice which i have not for any other authors. I loved this book and while reading I realised I need to read the entire series again for a third time. I couldnt put this book down even sneaking a few pages at work. I cant wait for book 2 please hurry Katharine Kerr. ...more
Jenny T
Mar 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2020
In this world, bards are historians, collectors of antique secrets, and the voice of the people--when they decide to get involved in politics, the world has to listen.

A good epic fantasy on a smaller scale, with likeable characters and a satisfying (if a little predictable) ending. Good stuff, and I think I might end up following this series!
Shauna Whall
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So happy there is a new book from Katharine Kerr! Even though they are mostly new characters, it felt like reading about old friends again within a few pages. Such a lovely read all the way through.
Can't wait for the next one and kind of hoping that this trilogy will run to as many books as the first one? Please.
Claire
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I've never read any Katherine Kerr, but I'm so glad I did! Even though I found this hard to follow at points, I really loved the world and how political a fantasy it was. I definitely want to pick up Kerr's other novels now, and I hope this series will be continuing!
Lulu
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading about Deverry since I found Daggerspell as a teenager. Having grown up with Katharine's characters and world I am so pleased that this latest cycle is firmly in the Deverry I remember.

Thanks to all the gods for hearing her voice again!

• Pumpkinheads
  • Strange Planet
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • The Stand-In Boyfriend (Grove Valley High, #1)
  • Outmatched
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1)
  • Shiny Things: Mothering on Purpose in a World of Distractions
  • Al Dente's Inferno (Tuscan Cooking School Mystery #1)
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • A Confederacy of Dunces
  • Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)
  • Winter Cottage
  • The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Prosper's Demon
  • The Unwilling
Born in Ohio, 1944. Moved to San Francisco Bay Area in 1962 and has lived there ever since. Katharine Kerr has read extensively in the fields of classical archeology, and medieval and dark ages history and literature, and these influences are clear in her work. Her epic Deverry series has won widespread praise and millions of fans around the world.

Articles featuring this book

The start of 2020 has already delivered new books from some of the biggest names in science fiction and fantasy, from William Gibson and Mike C...