Start by marking “Overland” as Want to Read:
Overland

Overland

Overland is the true story of a journey from Australia to Switzerland without flying. From vast deserts to an Indonesian fishing boat, a slow train through Burma to an armed confrontation in Laos, lullabies from middle-aged Chinese businessmen to a cold night on the Great Wall, wolves and reindeer herders, thieves and nomads: this is a vivid illustration of Asia and the pe

Published June 30th 2019 by Ewen Levick

To ask other readers questions about Overland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overland

Start your review of Overland
Dan Tasse
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I like this kind of thing! Like, "guy goes on long somewhat foolish adventure and writes an amateur self published book about it."

One pitfall this genre can run into is if the author is just a bad writer. But he held my attention and I read it pretty quick, so I dunno, his writing seems clear enough to me.

Another potential pitfall is thinking you're a more intrepid explorer than you are or talking shit about *anyone*. Levick runs into this a little bit in the first half of the book (ok yes we kn
Teo smite
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable read of an immense journey from Australia to Switzerland without flying. The Mongolia section is breathtaking. The author's interaction with helpful locals throughout his travels is heartwarming. I personally loved "Nobby" the cantankerous motorbike the author bought in Mongolia. I'm not sure I would say the same if I was the rider. ...more
Mrs Vanessa Barber
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully told journey

I'm a lover of travelogue books being a self published travel auther myself and having read scores over the years I was pleasantly surprised when I read Ewans story. The simplicity in his journey really does draw you in and the experiences he had and took on I'm sure will mould him in life's endless jounery.
It's a must read and the section with noddy really is epic, well done Ewan and maybe one day I will be lucky enough to ride a reindeer too

Martin
Amanda Zito
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
john foster, mrs Debra Foster
Amazing Journey

A fantastic adventure, really well written. An interesting account of an epic treck from Australia to Switzerland by any means available except air. Thoroughly enjoyed every page and highly recommend.
Ben Twoonezero
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
A interesting book but not a page turner, I went off the author early on as he was very dirisory about old people on a cruise ship. He is not engaging or funny so the feel of the book is not lite, I may read another book by him as is travels are interesting but him not so much.
Ganesha
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
An endearing and well-written book of a man's multi-country journey. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found certain bits quite humorous. Highly recommended for those who love those off-the-beaten track sort of adventures! ...more
Scribbles
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent Adventures

As excellent adventures go, this is almost so far fetched as not to be believed... Riveting it is and believable!
M Hewitt
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Overall very interesting

Took a while to get started but once it did, was quite captivating.

No - I do not want to do this trip.
Mrs.Lady
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was ok
Not a thrills and chills adventure. Lots of descriptions of landscapes, some trials and tribulations with the motorcycle but nothing exciting. The author met lots of kind helpful though also met a couple shifty types that almost got away with rip offs. The book was pleasant and his trip was an accomplishment suffering nasty weather and long lonely stretches. Inodded outreading this book several times so it is good for bedtime.
Cheryl
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

What an amazing story. Almost seems too crazy to be real, but what an exciting trip. I'm amazed at all Ewen did on this trip. And his writing puts you right in the midst of whatever crazy situation or beautiful vista he's in.
LL
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite the adventure.

Well described journey . Why not do this trip if possible , see different countries and people. The author was fortunate to get help when he needed it . He met people that even with language barriers helped him out. Hopefully he keeps on traveling and writing.
Callum Whitcombe
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Whilst I found the first half of this book slow going for the lack detail in the trip the second half and the authors general writing style really made up for it, an enjoyable adventure!
Johno
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this personal account of Ewen's trip.

There were just so many parts I related to - the Asian men with their bellies out, hosing down the road, wondering what other people do with all the selfies of you, and many more.

I especially liked the Mongolia part. I love that the author just decided to buy a bike and go for it, without really knowing what was in store for him. I call this The Arrogance of Ignorance (definitely meant in a good way!) and it's amazing how well it works out if y
Steve
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful description of a young man’s journey from Melbourne to Basel over land (and water). His experiences, particularly in Mongolia and Russia, restored my faith in the kindness of strangers.
Carolynn
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating

Well written ‘travelogue’ of inspiring travels. Thoroughly enjoyable with great descriptions and humor. . I felt like I was on his journey with him
Denis Shkuratko
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this fun adventure. It was hard to put down because I wanted to see where Ewen was going next. I recommend this! За здоровье!
Joe & Laurie O'Rourke
Sep 26, 2019
Peter
Jun 23, 2021
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• North To Alaska: The True Story of An epic, 16,000-mile cycle journey the length of the Americas
  • The Man in the Tent: My Life under Canvas - The First Four Years
  • BAD KARMA: The True Story of a Mexico Trip from Hell
  • The Man in the Tent: My Life under Canvas - Getting Started in Spain
  • My French Platter: A Journey to a Dream Life in France
  • Llama Drama: A two-woman, 5,500-mile cycling adventure through South America (Anna's Adventures Book 3)
  • Travels with Rachel: In Search of South America
  • The Pants of Perspective: One Woman's 3,000 Kilometre Running Adventure through the Wilds of New Zealand
  • Alaskan Wilderness Adventure: Book 1
  • The Crinkle Crankle Wall: Our First Year in Andalusia
  • Tuk-Tuk for Two
  • Follow Me to Alaska: A true story of one couple’s adventure adjusting from life in a cul-de-sac in El Paso, Texas, to a cabin off-grid in the wilderness of Alaska
  • Two Old Fools Down Under
  • Granny P.I.: A Memoir, True Tales from Forty Years as a Private Investigator
  • No Wrong Turns: Cycling the World, Part One: Paris to Sydney
  • Don't Come Back: a travel adventure of bad-tempered baboons, black magic, and breakups.
  • Lone Rider: The First British Woman to Motorcycle Around the World