Start by marking “Overland” as Want to Read:
Overland

Overland

Overland is the true story of a journey from Australia to Switzerland without flying. From vast deserts to an Indonesian fishing boat, a slow train through Burma to an armed confrontation in Laos, lullabies from middle-aged Chinese businessmen to a cold night on the Great Wall, wolves and reindeer herders, thieves and nomads: this is a vivid illustration of Asia and the

Published June 30th 2019 by Ewen Levick

To ask other readers questions about Overland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overland

Start your review of Overland
Dan Tasse
Aug 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I like this kind of thing! Like, "guy goes on long somewhat foolish adventure and writes an amateur self published book about it."

One pitfall this genre can run into is if the author is just a bad writer. But he held my attention and I read it pretty quick, so I dunno, his writing seems clear enough to me.

Another potential pitfall is thinking you're a more intrepid explorer than you are or talking shit about *anyone*. Levick runs into this a little bit in the first half of the book (ok yes we
Teo smite
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable read of an immense journey from Australia to Switzerland without flying. The Mongolia section is breathtaking. The author's interaction with helpful locals throughout his travels is heartwarming. I personally loved "Nobby" the cantankerous motorbike the author bought in Mongolia. I'm not sure I would say the same if I was the rider.
Mrs Vanessa Barber
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully told journey

I'm a lover of travelogue books being a self published travel auther myself and having read scores over the years I was pleasantly surprised when I read Ewans story. The simplicity in his journey really does draw you in and the experiences he had and took on I'm sure will mould him in life's endless jounery.
It's a must read and the section with noddy really is epic, well done Ewan and maybe one day I will be lucky enough to ride a reindeer too

Martin
Amanda Zito
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Scribbles
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Excellent Adventures

As excellent adventures go, this is almost so far fetched as not to be believed... Riveting it is and believable!
Cheryl
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!

What an amazing story. Almost seems too crazy to be real, but what an exciting trip. I'm amazed at all Ewen did on this trip. And his writing puts you right in the midst of whatever crazy situation or beautiful vista he's in.
LL
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite the adventure.

Well described journey . Why not do this trip if possible , see different countries and people. The author was fortunate to get help when he needed it . He met people that even with language barriers helped him out. Hopefully he keeps on traveling and writing.
Callum Whitcombe
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Whilst I found the first half of this book slow going for the lack detail in the trip the second half and the authors general writing style really made up for it, an enjoyable adventure!
Johno
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this personal account of Ewen's trip.

There were just so many parts I related to - the Asian men with their bellies out, hosing down the road, wondering what other people do with all the selfies of you, and many more.

I especially liked the Mongolia part. I love that the author just decided to buy a bike and go for it, without really knowing what was in store for him. I call this The Arrogance of Ignorance (definitely meant in a good way!) and it's amazing how well it works out if
Steve
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightful description of a young mans journey from Melbourne to Basel over land (and water). His experiences, particularly in Mongolia and Russia, restored my faith in the kindness of strangers. ...more
Carolynn
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating

Well written travelogue of inspiring travels. Thoroughly enjoyable with great descriptions and humor. . I felt like I was on his journey with him
Denis Shkuratko
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this fun adventure. It was hard to put down because I wanted to see where Ewen was going next. I recommend this! За здоровье!
Graham Torrible
Patricia Lenkner
Mar 14, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• 3mph:The Adventures of One Woman's Walk Around the World
  • Cruising the Mississippi: From New Orleans to Memphis on a Genuine Paddlewheeler
  • The Peppercorn Tree
  • There Are Worse Things I Could Do
  • Too Clever By Half (A Davies & West Mystery, #2)
  • Rain Will Come
  • Two Old Fools Down Under
  • Odds On
  • Toward the Midnight Sun
  • Villa of Sun and Secrets: A warm escapist read that will keep you guessing
  • Women Gone Wild on Kayak Island (CJ's Outdoor Adventure Series)
  • The Only Way Is West: A Once In a Lifetime, 500 Mile Adventure Walking Spain's Camino de Santiago
  • The Scottish Isles: Shetlands, Orkneys and Hebrides: Part 1: The Shetlands, Orkneys, Mull, Iona, Raasay and Staffa
  • Fall into Murder Cozy Mysteries Box Set Collection
  • Tahoe Deep (An Owen McKenna Mystery Thriller Book 17)
  • Righteous Assassin (Mike Stoneman #1)
  • Joan of Arc: A Life From Beginning to End
  • A Tough Case to Crack (Nuts About Nuts Mystery #1)