Start by marking “In Five Years” as Want to Read:
In Five Years

In Five Years

Perfect for fans of Me Before You and One Day—a striking, powerful, and moving love story following an ambitious lawyer who experiences an astonishing vision that could change her life forever.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

When Type-A Manhattan lawyer Dannie Cohan is asked this question at the most important interview of her career, she has a meticulously
Expected publication: March 10th 2020 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about In Five Years, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Oksana
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of In Five Years
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m so ugly right now! My face is blotchy, my eyes are bloody red, my nails, oh no I have no nails left. I’m a great candidate for any horror movie monster casting call.

Even the husband dearest who is normally coolest, mimic-less Scorpio man worried about me and cover my face with trash bag so he stopped screaming when he was looking at me!

After I finished this book, I cried so much! I couldn’t help myself. Honestly my friends shaped my life and made me who I am more than my own family. They
Larry H
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Good god, I loved this book even if it left me crying on the plane!

"You mistake love. Do you think it has to have a future in order to matter, but it doesn’t. It’s the only thing that does not need to be come at all. It matters only insofar as it exists. Here. Now. Love doesn’t require a future."

Dannie is a planner. Everything in her life is meticulously mapped out—the job she wants at the law firm she wants, her dream apartment in NYC, when she and her boyfriend will get engaged and married.
Holly  B
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS

Couldn't put this one down!

Although I'm not a huge romance reader, every now and then a book comes along that just warms (and breaks) my heart.

After reading the intriguing synopsis, I knew I wanted to read this one and find out just what In Five Years was all about.

Dannie is a Manhattan lawyer with a five year plan (I love that!). She has a wonderful career, boyfriend, New York life, BUTwho is this man in her dreams? He seems so alive and "real" to her, but he is not in her five year
Brandice
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In Five Years is a great story about Dani, a Type-A (ahem, relatable) woman, her love life, and friendship. She is a hard-working lawyer who crushes an interview for her dream job and gets engaged to her boyfriend, David. After falling asleep that night, Dani wakes up five years later in an unfamiliar setting with unexpected company. She then wakes up again, back in her current life, but has a hard time shaking this mystery premonition. Four years later, Dani is startled to meet this person in ...more
Christy
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

photo D97530CE-524E-4E23-9ED8-D4711D649940_zpszf1h6t8a.png

This book was nothing like I expected. If you're looking for a swoony romance or easy to read chick-lit type book, that's not what you're getting here. This was a hard-hitting contemporary fiction that hit me right in the feels. After reading the blurb, I thought I had an idea of how this book would go, but I wasn't prepared for what happened. It had twists and turns I didn't see coming, but I loved it.

Dannie is an attorney and a number oriented person. As a fellow Type-A person who
Emer (A Little Haze)
Do you ever just finish a book, sit back and think to yourself 'what on earth did I just read?'

I went into this book expecting a sweeping love story for the ages, one with a love triangle that would really feel heart wrenching and give me all those conflicted feels.

But no...

What I got was a love rhombus?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

A very weird and very strange love rhombus.

Because for so much of this book we knew the ending...
We knew the MC would end up in flagrante delicto with this guy who wasn't
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

"Where do you see yourself in five years?" is the quintessential interview question that most of us are required to BS our way through when getting our first job. Dannie, on the brink of getting her dream job, answers this question as well in an interview at the very beginning of the book. Things are going swell for Dannie: she has the dream boyfriend, a ritzy Manhattan lifestyle, and if she gets her position at this law firm, the perfect
Gabby
I really enjoyed this story. I do agree with other reviewers that the blurb is a little misleading - this story is about a woman who is working in New York and on the night she gets engaged to her boyfriend she wakes up five years into the future in a different apartment with a different man in her bed. That makes it sound like the book is going to have time travel or some crazy sci-fi elements to it, but that is a single event at the beginning of this book, and the rest of it is a contemporary ...more
Sheyla ✎

"Love doesn't require a future."

Can I just say I have mixed feelings?
Not because I didn’t love the story but because I’m not sure I agree with the ending.

What a heartbreaking and beautiful story! In Five Years brought out so many emotions in me.

The novel is a story of two best friends, their friendship and the love, loss and hope they experienced.

From the first moment I opened this book, I knew I wouldn't be able to put it away for any reason. It's one of those books that demand your
Nadia
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
4.5 stars for this heartbreaking novel
I went into this thinking it was a romance, but I quickly discovered I was wrong.

In 5 Yearsis the story of two childhood friends Dannie and Bella, who are now 28, living in New York and can't be more different. While Dannie loves order, planning and stability, Bella is a spontaneous, free-spirited artist. Dannie has a very clear idea of where she'll be in 5 years fromnow - she'll be a corporate lawyer on her way of becoming a junior partner, married to
Aga Durka
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
In Five Years is so much more than just a romance and chick-lit book. It is a story of friendship, love, fate, and self-discovery. Dannie is such a likable character and even with all her flaws and imperfections, she is one of those characters that you cannot help to love and cheer for. The beautiful friendship between Dannie and Bella is such an inspiration, and oh my was I ugly crying at the end of this book. I was as much heartbroken as Dannie was. It is a thought-provoking and emotional ...more
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Love doesn’t require a future.

This is most likely my final review of the year and although I failed by leaving more than 30 books on my “Currently Reading” shelf (which were 100% already read and only left there to serve as reminders of my failure to post things in a timely fashion), I can at least finish up the decade as a rightreader for once and with a glowing recommendation for In Five Years when it gets released this Spring.

So
Ashley
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Reviewed on: Ashes Books & Bobs.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Atria Books for the chance to read this novel early.

It's no secret I love mindbending books that play with the concept of time. As soon as I read the blurb for this one, I knew I would be bumping it to the top of my to be read list. I'm so glad I did because this book was very nearly perfect and not what I was expecting at all.

The blurb for In Five Years is a little misleading, but I'm actually glad it was. Oftentimes the blurbs
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Dannie Kohan has always been a planner and manages her life with long-ranging aspirations. One goal was met when she got engaged to her long-term boyfriend, David, after living together in New York City. Another goal is on the horizon after interviewing for a position at a prestigious law firm. This job is in line with her career ambitions as an attorney. Among her long term goals are to buy an apartment and eventually have children.

Dannie becomes unsettled after having a dream that takes place
Emily May
Jan 30, 2020 added it
Shelves: chick-lit, arc, 2020
"What are the odds?"
"In a city of nine million? Less than zero."

On occasion - but not often - I read a book and I really don't know how I feel about it. Not in that way where I say I don't know how I feel to soften the blow before I explain why I didn't really like it... but a way where I liked certain aspects of it, really disliked others, and couldn't ever balance out my thoughts into anything resembling a star rating. This book was one of those. I'm going to leave the rating blank.

Firstly,
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
3,5 - 4 stars

This started well , it has a great premise and I was intrigued to see how this will go!I find it unique and brilliant and I was expected to find an emotional read but for me it wasn't!I still loved it and I find myself hooked but I didn't love it as much as I wannted!

description

This is about love and friendship, I have to say that the main heroine was ok for me, I couldn't connect with her so I couldn't empathise her either.

Overall, it was a great read if you are looking for something
lazybookconqueror
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc
2.5 Stars.

I went through so many different emotions reading this book and that is not necessarily a good thing. The first few pages of In Five Years are enthralling - Rebecca Serle can write. I remember saying to my husband when I was 15% in that I could already tell that this had the potential to be a five-star book. Unfortunately, not long after, everything came crashing down.

Dannie is the type-A-personality-person that has her life together. She is methodical and mechanic. She has clear plans
Jessica Jeffers
Oct 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, edelweiss
There was so much that I hated about this book, I don't even know where to begin. I am hesitant to flat-out trash it because I do know that writers sometimes read these and there are others who will like something more than I did—it’s been more than three years since I’ve given out a one-star review, but this one absolutely deserves it.
Desi (Pastel Pages)
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My goodness, I absolutely ADORED this book. Did I ugly cry? Yes. Are my eyes stained with mascara? Yes. Did it pull at my heartstrings? Absolutely.

"Love doesn’t require a future"

It's no secret that I love a bit of a twist when it comes to reading romance. I like it to be different from the norm. A story that makes me think. And that's exactly what this book was. I read it in 3 sittings and I just couldn't put it down. It was so much more than I expected. There was so much to love about it, but
Esil
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I liked In Five Years way more than I expected — especially as the story develops. Dannie is a serious type A. She’s a corporate lawyer in New York City and she happily calibrates every minute of her day. She has a five year plan that includes being a partner at her firm and marrying her corporate finance boyfriend. The only part of her life that is a bit less controlled is her strong bond with her childhood friend Bella. Then a dream or premonition shakes her up — she sees herself in 2015 with ...more
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Thank you to the publisher for gifting me an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review. I give this one 4.5 stars!

Oh how I love Rebecca Serle. I love her ability to make us question and ask "what if." In Five Years tugged at my heart strings. Dannie Cohan has played by the rules and achieved every goal she has set for herself. She's on the path to becoming partner at a prestigious law firm, she has an incredibly thoughtful fiancee, and she has the support of a loving family and best friend.
Katharine
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow wow wow. One of the most propulsive books I've read in a long time. I gobbled it up in just over two hours and could NOT put it down. I recommend going into this one without knowing much, so I won't say anymore. Read it.

Thank you to Atria for providing me with a free review copy. All opinions are my own.
Amber
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: made-me-cry, fiction
4.5 stars rounded up.

A beautifully touching story about friendship and love. In Five Years tells the story of type-A corporate lawyer Dannie and how a meticulously planned life doesn’t always end up that way. When Dannie falls asleep on her engagement night, she wakes up 5 years later to a strange apartment and another man. After a very confusing hour she’s back to where she began. Not telling anyone about her experience, she meets this mysterious man again 4 1/2 years later.

This storytelling
♡ Kim ♡
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, arc
4.5 - Absolutely loved this one!
Dennis
Imagine having a premonition five years into the future and your life is completely different—living somewhere you never thought you'd live and being married to someone you never met! This happened to Danielle "Dannie" Cohan and it's turned her life upside down. Currently, she is engaged to her fiancé David and the two live in Midtown Manhattan. Dannie is an star attorney, interviewing for one of the most influential law firms in the world, and her husband David works in the financial services ...more
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I don't think I could have loved this book more... easily in my top 5 for the entire year. Definitely add it to your TBR piles!
Heidi
“Love doesn’t require a future.”

Welcome to my first 5-star read of 2020!I have just turned the last page of IN FIVE YEARS and tears are streaming down my face. What an emotional roller coaster rode this book has been!

It’s difficult to review a book that has managed to connect with me on a very deep emotional level without giving away all the whys and hows that would spoil things for other readers. You know from the blurb that main protagonist Dannie, a lawyer and all-around super organised
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
[ e-ARC received from NetGalley ]

Release Date : 3rd March 2020
BookGypsy
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-publishers
The Dinner List is one of my all time favorite books. I still talk about it and recommend it. So I was really excited to this read this. Just when Dannie thinks she has has lifes plan all mapped out and in progress she has a dream so vivid of being married to someone else. Not her current partner. This is an unusual love story and it kept me glued to it. Romantic, heart felt and thought provoking. Truly one of the best books this year. I loved it.
Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte
Hudson Valley NY
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
In Five Years was the kind of book that snuck up on me in the best kind of way and overwhelmed me with its beautiful writing and storyline in a manner I did not expect. When Dannie somehow ends up five years in the future with a man who is definitely not her fiance, she doesn't think a ton of it - until back in present day, she meets her best friends new boyfriend - the man from the future.

IFY will unfold in a way that you will not expect (at least I definitely did not) and if you are anything

• The Honey-Don't List
  • You Were There Too
  • All About Us
  • The Other Mrs.
  • Happy & You Know It
Rebecca Serle is an author and television writer who lives between New York and Los Angeles. Serle most recently co-developed the hit TV adaptation of her young adult series Famous in Love, now on Freeform. She loves Nancy Meyers films, bathrobes, and giving unsolicited advice on love. She can be found on twitter: @RebeccaASerle
“You mistake love. You think it has to have a future in order to matter, but it doesn't. It's the only thing that does not need to become at all. It matters only insofar as it exists. Here. Now. Love doesn't require a future.” 6 likes
“Happiness. The enemy of all suffering.” 2 likes