Start by marking “In Five Years” as Want to Read:

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  7,229 ratings  ·  1,692 reviews
Where do you see yourself in five years?

When Type-A Manhattan lawyer Dannie Cohan is asked this question at the most important interview of her career, she has a meticulously crafted answer at the ready. Later, after nailing her interview and accepting her boyfriend's marriage proposal, Dannie goes to sleep knowing she is right on track to achieve her five-year plan.

But
Published March 10th 2020 by Atria Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Mar 10, 2020
    **THIS IS THE GREATEST LOVE STORY YOU'LL READ ALL YEAR. IT'S JUST NOT THE ONE YOU'RE EXPECTING.**

Enter to win an ebook of the instant New York Times

Format: Kindle book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 7149 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 27 - Apr 05, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about In Five Years, please sign up.
    This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    Oksana
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  7,229 ratings  ·  1,692 reviews

Start your review of In Five Years
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Im so ugly right now! My face is blotchy, my eyes are bloody red, my nails, oh no I have no nails left. Im a great candidate for any horror movie monster casting call.

Even the husband dearest who is normally coolest, mimic-less Scorpio man worried about me and cover my face with trash bag so he stopped screaming when he was looking at me!

After I finished this book, I cried so much! I couldnt help myself. Honestly my friends shaped my life and made me who I am more than my own family. They saw
    Meredith
    Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: netgalley
    Hated It!

Of course I have to be the person who didnt love this!

In Five Years is the story of a woman who has it all: the perfect fiancé, the perfect apartment, and the perfect job. But having it all doesnt mean that shes truly happy, and a tragedy is about to test the boundaries of all that she believed to be perfect.

The night Dannie, a corporate lawyer, gets engaged she has a wild dream that takes place 5 years in the future. This dream is about to alter her life in ways she could have never
    jessica
    Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
    huh. i kind of feel like the rug has been pulled out from underneath my feet and im left in a daze.

i went into this expecting the story to go in a certain direction (think one day in december) and i was 100% sure of it right until the last 10 pages, when all of a sudden the story doesnt end like i thought it would. and its not like it comes out of nowhere. it makes sense and im not angry about it at all. i was just so sure it would end in a certain way, i was completely blind to clues
    Larry H
    Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc
    Good god, I loved this book even if it left me crying on the plane!

"You mistake love. Do you think it has to have a future in order to matter, but it doesnt. Its the only thing that does not need to be come at all. It matters only insofar as it exists. Here. Now. Love doesnt require a future."

Dannie is a planner. Everything in her life is meticulously mapped outthe job she wants at the law firm she wants, her dream apartment in NYC, when she and her boyfriend will get engaged and married. Thats
    Brandice
    Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    In Five Years is a great story about Dani, a Type-A (ahem, relatable) woman, her love life, and friendship. She is a hard-working lawyer who crushes an interview for her dream job and gets engaged to her boyfriend, David. After falling asleep that night, Dani wakes up five years later in an unfamiliar setting with unexpected company. She then wakes up again, back in her current life, but has a hard time shaking this mystery premonition. Four years later, Dani is startled to meet this person in ...more
    Holly  B
    Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    4.5 STARS

Couldn't put this one down!

Although I'm not a huge romance reader, every now and then a book comes along that just warms (and breaks) my heart.

After reading the intriguing synopsis, I knew I wanted to read this one and find out just what In Five Years  was all about.

Dannie is a Manhattan lawyer with a five year plan (I love that!). She has a wonderful career, boyfriend, New York life, BUT who is this man in her dreams? He seems so alive and "real" to her, but he is not in her five
    Kylie D
    In Five Years is a wonderful book, both heart warming and heartbreaking at the same time. We follow Dannie, a lawyer on the rise in NYC, who at the start of the book gets engaged, and following the celebrations falls asleep. When she wakes everything is very different. She is in a different apartment, with a different man, and realises it's five years in the future.

When she eventually wakes up back in her own timeline, she thinks it's a dream, though a very realistic one, and puts it behind her.
    Emer (A Little Haze)
    Do you ever just finish a book, sit back and think to yourself 'what on earth did I just read?'

I went into this book expecting a sweeping love story for the ages, one with a love triangle that would really feel heart wrenching and give me all those conflicted feels.

But no...

What I got was a love rhombus?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

A very weird and very strange love rhombus.

Because for so much of this book we knew the ending...
    We knew the MC would end up in flagrante delicto with this guy who wasn't
    Christy
    Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
    4 stars

photo D97530CE-524E-4E23-9ED8-D4711D649940_zpszf1h6t8a.png

This book was nothing like I expected. If you're looking for a swoony romance or easy to read chick-lit type book, that's not what you're getting here. This was a hard-hitting contemporary fiction that hit me right in the feels. After reading the blurb, I thought I had an idea of how this book would go, but I wasn't prepared for what happened. It had twists and turns I didn't see coming, but I loved it.

Dannie is an attorney and a number oriented person. As a fellow Type-A person who
    Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
    Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    This was such a bizarre reading experience for me. I was completely hooked to this from start to finish and I did VERY much enjoy this book, but I have some complicated feelings. I really liked all of the characters and I truly believed in all of their bonds and the messiness of their relationships/actions, but there were some things about this book that just made me feel a bit weird and I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I'm going with a 4 star rating for now because I really enjoyed the ...more
    Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
    Soul-stirring, striking, & an unexpected gem!

IN FIVE YEARS by REBECCA SERLE is an engaging, touching, heartwarming, and absolutely beautiful story of love and friendship that I was immediately drawn into and quickly devoured. The storyline definitely kept me intrigued and took me on an emotional rollercoaster ride right to the very end.

REBECCA SERLE delivers a fantastic, captivating, emotional and beautifully written story here with some startling twists and turns that will definitely give
    Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

"Where do you see yourself in five years?" is the quintessential interview question that most of us are required to BS our way through when getting our first job. Dannie, on the brink of getting her dream job, answers this question as well in an interview at the very beginning of the book. Things are going swell for Dannie: she has the dream boyfriend, a ritzy Manhattan lifestyle, and if she gets her position at this law firm, the perfect
    Sheyla ✎

"Love doesn't require a future."

Can I just say I have mixed feelings?
    Not because I didnt love the story but because Im not sure I agree with the ending.

What a heartbreaking and beautiful story! In Five Years brought out so many emotions in me.

The novel is a story of two best friends, their friendship and the love, loss and hope they experienced.

From the first moment I opened this book, I knew I wouldn't be able to put it away for any reason. It's one of those books that demand your
    Gabby
    I really enjoyed this story. I do agree with other reviewers that the blurb is a little misleading - this story is about a woman who is working in New York and on the night she gets engaged to her boyfriend she wakes up five years into the future in a different apartment with a different man in her bed. That makes it sound like the book is going to have time travel or some crazy sci-fi elements to it, but that is a single event at the beginning of this book, and the rest of it is a contemporary ...more
    Nadia
    Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fiction
    4.5 stars for this heartbreaking novel 💔💔💔
    I went into this thinking it was a romance, but I quickly discovered I was wrong.

In 5 Years is the story of two childhood friends Dannie and Bella, who are now 28, living in New York and can't be more different. While Dannie loves order, planning and stability, Bella is a spontaneous, free-spirited artist. Dannie has a very clear idea of where she'll be in 5 years from now - she'll be a corporate lawyer on her way of becoming a junior partner, married
    Nursebookie
    Dannie Cohan is on the right path in her five year plan personally and professionally - a budding lawyer on a path to a successful career and a stable relationship with her fiancée. Her meticulously planned life suddenly takes a turn when a vivid dream takes her 5 years into the future Dec 15, 2025, wearing a different ring, in a different apartment, and with a different man!

She wakes up back into the present in 2020, but cant seem to shake off how real the vision was and have always kept her
    Emily May
    Jan 30, 2020 added it
    Shelves: chick-lit, arc, 2020
    "What are the odds?"
    "In a city of nine million? Less than zero."

On occasion - but not often - I read a book and I really don't know how I feel about it. Not in that way where I say I don't know how I feel to soften the blow before I explain why I didn't really like it... but a way where I liked certain aspects of it, really disliked others, and couldn't ever balance out my thoughts into anything resembling a star rating. This book was one of those. I'm going to leave the rating blank.

Firstly,
    Aga Durka
    Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
    In Five Years is so much more than just a romance and chick-lit book. It is a story of friendship, love, fate, and self-discovery. Dannie is such a likable character and even with all her flaws and imperfections, she is one of those characters that you cannot help to love and cheer for. The beautiful friendship between Dannie and Bella is such an inspiration, and oh my was I ugly crying at the end of this book. I was as much heartbroken as Dannie was. It is a thought-provoking and emotional ...more
    Dilek VT
    Feb 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: death, cancer, open-ending
    The book has an open ending and I hate it when it is like that.

From the very beginning I had a bad feeling about this book so I couldn't read it properly, I just skimmed and scanned it to see where it goes. And in the end, I was happy that I didn't spend 5 or 6 hours on this book because the ending would frustrate the hell out of me.

Here is the result of my skim-scan and quick reading. It has all the spoilers so make sure you don't uncover it if you really want to read this book.

(view
    ♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡
    ❥ 2 / 5 stars

[ e-ARC received from NetGalley ]

Heres some advice from me : Before reading this book, read others reviews first because the story is not what you think. Its not the same as the synopsis said.

I started having bad feelings about it when Dannie fell asleep and dreamed about her new life in the next five years with an unknown guy named Aaron. I found it pretty weird that even though she didnt know him, she still had sex with him anyway after a little talk. I was like WTF. In real life,
    lazybookconqueror
    Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
    Shelves: netgalley, arc
    2.5 Stars.

I went through so many different emotions reading this book and that is not necessarily a good thing. The first few pages of In Five Years are enthralling - Rebecca Serle can write. I remember saying to my husband when I was 15% in that I could already tell that this had the potential to be a five-star book. Unfortunately, not long after, everything came crashing down.

Dannie is the type-A-personality-person that has her life together. She is methodical and mechanic. She has clear plans
    Kelly (and the Book Boar)
    Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Love doesnt require a future.

This is most likely my final review of the year and although I failed by leaving more than 30 books on my Currently Reading shelf (which were 100% already read and only left there to serve as reminders of my failure to post things in a timely fashion), I can at least finish up the decade as a rightreader for once and with a glowing recommendation for In Five Years when it gets released this Spring.

So here
    Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
    Dannie Kohan has always been a planner and manages her life with long-ranging aspirations. One goal was met when she got engaged to her long-term boyfriend, David, after living together in New York City. Another goal is on the horizon after interviewing for a position at a prestigious law firm. This job is in line with her career ambitions as an attorney. Among her long term goals are to buy an apartment and eventually have children.

Dannie becomes unsettled after having a dream that takes place
    Ashley
    Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley, 2019
    Reviewed on: Ashes Books & Bobs.

Many thanks to Netgalley and Atria Books for the chance to read this novel early.

It's no secret I love mindbending books that play with the concept of time. As soon as I read the blurb for this one, I knew I would be bumping it to the top of my to be read list. I'm so glad I did because this book was very nearly perfect and not what I was expecting at all.

The blurb for In Five Years is a little misleading, but I'm actually glad it was. Oftentimes the blurbs
    Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
    3,5 - 4 stars

This started well , it has a great premise and I was intrigued to see how this will go!I find it unique and brilliant and I was expected to find an emotional read but for me it wasn't!I still loved it and I find myself hooked but I didn't love it as much as I wannted!

description

This is about love and friendship, I have to say that the main heroine was ok for me, I couldn't connect with her so I couldn't empathise her either.

Overall, it was a great read if you are looking for something
    Mandy White
    Oh my goodness, Rebeca Serle you certainly know how to tug on those heartstrings! I absolutely loved The Dinner Party and had to have this book. In Five Years is not the book that you think it is going to be - and I say that in a good way. It is so much more than you expect and I could not love it more. I devoured it in 2 nights of reading and did not want it to end.

This is another book that you don't want to know too much about before you read it. It is a beautiful story of love, friendship,
    NZLisaM
    Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
    What if you suddenly woke up five years in the future and didn't recognise yourself?

28-year-old Dannie Cohan is obsessively committed to achieving her five-year plan. And everything is on schedule December 15th, 2020 sees her nailing an interview for a top law firm, and by the end of the night engaged to her live-in boyfriend of two years, David.8

But when she falls asleep, she awakens at 10:59pm in an unfamiliar apartment, next to a strange man who clearly lives there with her, wearing a
    In Five Years is my first book by this author. I would categorize this book as Women's Fiction.

This book was fantastic. I would recommend not reading the book blurb right before reading this book. As it gives away a lot of the story IMO.

The narrator is Dannie (1st person POV). The story is set in NYC. She is a very ambitious lawyer. The story starts in December 2020 (and moves forward until we reach five years later).

There is romance in this book. However to me this was not the main focus of the
    Tracy Marie
    Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: read-ng-ew-2020
    Dannie has a plan for her life, and she has been following that plan to a T. She and David seem to be perfect for each other as he fits right into her life and she seems to do the same within his. This is one of those relationships that aren't really tested with conflict, compromise and wanting different things. They have found the perfect match because they both want the same exact things out of life. Is that enough though, is that the way it's supposed to work?

Dannie goes to an interview for
    MELISSA *Mel Reader*
    Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arcs
    4 Stars!
    (ARC provided by Atria Books)

photo 9BE9998E-7273-409D-8F66-347440270367_zps4ei0z8o3.jpg

Dannie Kohan is a young, ambitious, Manhattan corporate lawyer who is extremely passionate about her job. Shes worked hard to get to where she is, and is determined to succeed. Everything in her life is planned and predictable. She stays in her comfort zone, and is a type A personality. She thinks she has everything figured out, and is on track to soon being engaged and landing her dream job at the top firm in the city. She has an interview for a job that
    The Quarantined C...: 1st pick! 1 10 Mar 14, 2020 06:54AM

• Six Wicked Reasons
    • Dear Edward
    • The Holdout
    • Yes No Maybe So
    Rebecca Serle is an author and television writer who lives between New York and Los Angeles. Serle most recently co-developed the hit TV adaptation of her young adult series Famous in Love, now on Freeform. She loves Nancy Meyers films, bathrobes, and giving unsolicited advice on love. She can be found on twitter: @RebeccaASerle

Articles featuring this book

Need another excuse to go to the bookstore this week? We've got you covered with the buzziest new releases of the day. To create our list, ...
    “You mistake love. You think it has to have a future in order to matter, but it doesn't. It's the only thing that does not need to become at all. It matters only insofar as it exists. Here. Now. Love doesn't require a future.” 16 likes
    “It feels impossible how much space there can be in this intimacy, how much privacy. And I think that maybe that is what love is. Not the absence of space but the acknowledgement of it, the thing that lives between the parts, the things that makes it possible not to be one, but to be different, to be two.” 7 likes