Start by marking “Taking Time” as Want to Read:
Taking Time

Taking Time

Taking time to listen to a bird's song on the breeze. Taking time to gather up the blossom dancing free. Taking time to imagine the deep sounds of the sea. Taking time to cherish you . . . and cherish me.

This poem is inspired by principles of mindfulness and invites children around the world to experience the wonders of nature and home.
Published April 7th 2020 by Lantana Publishing (first published 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Taking Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Time

Start your review of Taking Time
La Coccinelle
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, children, arc
This is a sweet, simple book about mindfulness and taking time to notice the everyday things that are all around us.

The poem that serves as the text is fine. It flows nicely, for the most part. I think the strength of this book is the illustrations, though. They're colourful and diverse, showing children from a variety of backgrounds all over the world. Though the pictures are all very different, there's a universality to the text that ties everything (and everyone) together.

Taking Time is a lov
Panda Incognito
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This beautiful book encourages children to take the time to enjoy the natural world around them. The poetry has an excellent rhythm, and the illustrations are soft, colorful, and creative, visualizing global children's encounters with nature and animals. This is a great resource for teaching little ones about the world and multicultural experiences, and I enjoyed it very much as an adult reader as well.

I particularly appreciate the fact that it is written to encourage "mindfulness" without usin
Alicia Bayer
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely picture book with sparse, rhyming text about the joy of taking time to notice the blessings of nature around us. The illustrations are beautiful and depict children experiencing wildlife and nature around the world. The rhyming text is lyrical and makes it perfect for bedtime or read-alouds. It's a beautiful book that will encourage mindfulness and an appreciation for nature in young children in a sweet way.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
Juli Anna
Gentle and affirming, with a a wonderfully global perspective.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Taking Time takes us all over the world to peek at children who are lost in the moment, the moment of a bird's song, a dog's fur, a cat's purr, the vast astounding sky.

Illustrations that pull you into those moments.
Rebecca
Nov 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leslie
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has been out for a month, and it’s the perfect summer read for your kiddos.
Not only is it beneficial to little ones (and the art is fab), but it’s got some good reminders for adults in there, too. The themes of mindfulness and being “in” the moment/appreciating and taking in the surroundings of this moment are timely.

I think many people are being forced to re-evaluate their realities during our current situation. Whether that is a good or a bad thing, I dunno, but I love basking in the
Andrea Rippon
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If there’s one thing we can do as parents, it is to spend quality time with our children. This will often mean making time; and Jo Loring Fisher’s book, Taking Time, gives us a wonderful reason to do this. With exquisite illustrations, Jo invites us to travel around the world to meet children who take time for themselves. Accessible to all, children can use their senses to listen to birds, to feel the purr of a cat against an open palm and to watch spiders weaving webs. As a Parenting Educator I ...more
Sandy Brehl
The text is minimal and eloquent, allow one line per spread to invite readers to "TAKE TIME... to engage with surroundings. This is not about jaw-dropping sunsets or crashing waves, it is about listening to curved shells and other ways of shifting our focus to the mundane in our presence (or in whose presence we live). The text, standing alone, would be lovely mentor text for a simple poetry writing experience, or for use in comparing various habitats and environments, or for use o intentional r ...more
Allie
During every single story time I do a breathing exercise to help every get nice and calm before we start reading. I started doing it after a Mindful Morning family program, but it's such a nice skill for kids to have that I just do it every time now. This would be a nice book to read if I ever do the program in person again! It's all about taking time to appreciate all the tiny little things that make our lives special. The illustrations are cute but not cutesy, and represent children all over t ...more
April Gray
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely book! The mixed-media illustrations are just so dreamy, soft, bright, and lush, showing children around the world taking time to enjoy different aspects of nature. "Taking time to" is the phrase that starts each spread, followed by a suggestion of something to notice in the natural world- birds singing, a cat purring, blossoms drifting down from a tree- an invitation to practice mindfulness that is easy to understand for any age.

#TakingTime #NetGalley
Aolund
A thoughtful and beautiful journey around the world to show children enjoying meditative moments in different places--a Black child listening to a shell on the beach, a Latinx child observing a flock of parrots with a caregiver, a White European child marveling at a snowflake, etc. The text is very simple, the illustrations pleasantly soft and sketchy. A great invitation to slow down.

Themes: Around the World, Meditation, Slow/Quiet, Take a Break, Social Emotional
Age range: 1+
Amanda
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 stars

Slowing down and being in the moment when the moment presents itself. Noticing and responding to the very little things that are precious and beautiful. Celebrating them with your child. Noticing with a child's eyes. Taking Time gathers these moments through children's experiences all around the world. Very beautiful.
Dina
Jul 20, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020
Mindfulness and diversity are the first two words that come to mind after reading this book. I enjoyed this book and think it would make a splendid read aloud and could spark lively discussion about "taking time". Fantastic illustrations from places all over the world also add to this book. It ends with: "Taking time to cherish you, and also cherish me." Simply a lovely book! ...more
Mary
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully-illustrated and poetic picture book about slowing down. It reads like a poem, with rhymes and a nice flow. The illustrations depict children all around the world doing calming things. I also appreciate the more size-realistic map of the world on the front end papers. It would make a great read-aloud for 4-6 y/o.
Westerville
Dec 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely book about mindfulness, featuring diverse children in settings around the world. Bonus: the final endpapers have an I Spy game. - Becky, Collection Development

Reserve a library copy
Pamela
What do you take time for? This poem encourages taking time for various joys of nature and loved ones- birds, blossoms, snow, beach, the sky, a journey, pets and a grandma. Starts w a world map showing location of the different kids pictured in the book. Ends w objects that you can seek and find throughout.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short book with GORGEOUS illustrations, depicting children all around the world appreciating nature, people, and other living things around them. A very relaxing book that will make you want to hug your family members and watch clouds drifting by across the sky.
Amy
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A book to remind children and their special grown-ups to slow down and take the time to experience what's around them. The illustrations of children from different countries are gorgeous. I love the message. ...more
Tracie
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Children around the world share the things they take time to do. I like the interactive look and find at the end.
Jared White
A book about children around the world taking the time to notice, appreciate, and cherish the simple things and each other.
Edward Sullivan
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, nature
Taking time to be mindful and appreciate every moment.
Trish
Aug 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brief meditation with beautiful illustrations on taking the time to notice, to listen, to feel.
Pinky
Sep 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Syntha Green
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beautiful
N
Beautifully illustrated. A wonderful book to show connection and midnfulness.
Effie
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful artwork and a nice message about enjoying being in the moment.
Caitlyn
Dec 03, 2020 added it
Shelves: tls-480
Each of us can benefit from taking time to enjoy life.
Katy
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely!
Andrew  Fairchild
Mar 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written poem accompanied with delightful illustrations about taking the time to enjoy the wonders of mother earth and each other.

• I Am Every Good Thing
  • Magnificent Homespun Brown: A Celebration
  • Lift
  • The Barnabus Project
  • Julián at the Wedding (Julián, #2)
  • The Ocean Calls: A Haenyeo Mermaid Story