Start by marking “What's Left of Me Is Yours” as Want to Read:
What's Left of Me Is Yours

What's Left of Me Is Yours

A gripping debut set in modern-day Tokyo and inspired by a true crime, for readers of Everything I Never Told You and The Perfect Nanny, What's Left of Me Is Yours charts a young woman's search for the truth about her mother's life--and her murder.

In Japan, a covert industry has grown up around the "wakaresaseya" (literally "breaker-upper"), a person hired by one spouse
Expected publication: April 21st 2020 by Doubleday Books

To ask other readers questions about What's Left of Me Is Yours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Left of Me Is Yours

Start your review of What's Left of Me Is Yours
Fiona Mitchell
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This graceful and evocative novel, told in two time frames, transports you all the way to modern-day Tokyo. In the present, we meet Rina’s daughter Sumiko who, when she is on the cusp of qualifying as a lawyer, gets a phone call from the Prison Service about an inmate called Kaitarō who is somehow connected to her mother Rina. Sumiko has always believed that her mother died in a car accident, but now everything she knew about her family is about to fall apart.

The past charts the growing love
Shannon A
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How do I write a review for a book that is so descriptive and beautiful that it seems to have been an opera whispered?
This story is so meticulous researched that you forget that this a novel; a story of a family and love so masterfully woven you forget the crime.
A stunning debut of the many shades of love & how the best of lies are told nearest to truth.
Tammy
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review TK
Louise Beech
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, beautiful book that defies genre - and my words. There is a crime. There is betrayal. There is love. There is history. This is truly an epic, meticulously and lovingly researched, with such exquisite description and detail that I read the same lines over, many times. There are thought-provoking observations, unforgettable characters, and heart-breaking decisions that set in motion catastrophic events. I will not forget this book for a long time.
Roman Clodia
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a beautifully written but rather slight novel about the consequences of passion and long-held family secrets. What lifts it above many books in the same space is the elegant precision of the writing, and the insight into modern Japanese culture. The structure of a daughter reconstructing her mother's life is very familiar, but the relationship at the heart of the book is rendered with a visceral sense of bodies. Nicely done but not a book to linger in my mind once read.The

ARC from
Elle Rudy
Nov 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley, 2020, on-deck
*Thanks to Doubleday Books & Netgalley for an advance copy!
Egle (readingfreakquotes)
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
According to synopsis this book was inspired by true crime in Japan, but it's hard to say how much of this fictional story relate to true facts and how much was a pure fiction.

However it is very insightful and detailed debut novel and author had done an amazing job on her research. I always found Japanese culture fascinating and interesting and this book was a real treat for me with all these cultural facts and stories about Japanese way of living.

The story is told from the multiple POV's which
Erin
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley and Doubleday Books for the ARC of this book! This story is quite different from anything I have ever read. With its basis in true crime, the detail-rich Japanese legal proceedings and the description of the practice of wakaresaseya were definitely interesting. I normally prefer stories told from multiple perspectives, but these point of view switches and the bouncing between different time periods was sometimes difficult to follow. Though it felt a little disjointed to ...more
Milly Virus
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I could not pick a book that caught me and kept me.. Until this one.. What a beautifully written story!! Love; Betrayal; Murder!! Thank you for this book because it got me back to reading and it was so well written; so interesting with another country's culture and so on and so on!!! I HIGHLY recommend this book to avid readers! You will not be disappointed!!
Kim McGee
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it

Based on a real legal case this clever debut focuses on Japanese law and customs and their place in modern day relationships. Ir is told from the viewpoint of mother, daughter and the man who would both save and sacrifice the mother. There is a practice called "Wakaresaseya" where one spouse can hire someone to seduce and get dirt on the other spouse to pave the way for divorce. This is life changing because there is no such thing as no-fault divorce or shared custody of children. Sato hires
Audrey
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads

A slow burn of a read. What appears to be a simple case of a domestic murder, the psyches of the victim, murderer and survivors are explored. Told from multiple points of view in various points of time, the emotions of love and loss are fully explored. Based on a true crime, this fictionalized account also goes deeply into the Japanese legal and penal system. Those systems were just as fascinating as the underlying tale.

I received an arc from the publisher but all opinions are my own.
Maybe Nancy Reads
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In Japan, there is a person known as a "wakaresaseya" - literally known as a breaker-upper, who can be hired by spouse to seduce the other and therefore gain advantage in a divorce. When Osamu Sato hires wakaresareya Kaitaro to seduce his wife Rina, he has no idea what he has set in motion. Kaitaro and Rina fall in love and Rina remains unaware of the circumstances of their meeting. Told in alternating views of Rina in the past and her present now-grown daughter Sumiko, the story unfolds as ...more
Charissa
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was very frustrated with this story in that it seemed like it was all over the place. I kept rereading sections because I thought I missed something but it was very hard to follow.
Thank you NetGalley for a copy of the book.
Tyler

• Long Bright River
  • Such a Fun Age
  • Saint X
  • The Glass Hotel
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
  • Memories of Tomorrow (Nameless #6)