Start by marking “Yours, Isaac Asimov: A Lifetime of Letters” as Want to Read:
Yours, Isaac Asimov: A Lifetime of Letters

Yours, Isaac Asimov: A Lifetime of Letters

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Isaac Asimov was one of the most prolific authors of our time. When he died in 1992 at the age of seventy-two, he had published more than 470 books in nearly every category of fiction and nonfiction. Asimov was a prodigious correspondent as well as a prolific author. During his professional career he received more than one hundred thousand letters, over ninety thousand of ...more
Published November 18th 1996 by Main Street Books (first published 1995)

Nisah Haron
Jul 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all writer's & writers-to-be
Recommended to Nisah by: Juliana Es
Frankly, I have only heard of Asimov and never read any of his science fiction work. (I read fantasy and not much s.f.). This book is so delightful as I love any book that would reveal the writing process of a writer (be it the whole process or partly thereof).

Asimov is definitely witty, and this explains why this book is funny and yet contains a lot of wisdom as well as good writing tips for a writer like me. I envy his speed of typing (90-words-per-minute on a manual typewriter!). I can only
Karen GoatKeeper
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Isaac Asimov was a prolific writer. Over the course of his career, he wrote nearly 500 books. That is not unusual of itself. What is amazing is that he had books published in all ten of the major categories of the Dewey Decimal system.
His books were translated into many languages. He received letters from fans from all over the world. And he answered them himself keeping carbon copies of his replies.
After Asimov's death, his brother sorted through some 40,000 letters and postcards. He selected f
Denis
Jul 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: hardcover, first
This was a great insight to Asimov's life. A friend of mine had a friend who was a huge fan of Asimov. He happened to be in New York (late eighties/early nineties) and had the gumption to go to Asimov's address and ask the security guy there to speak to his idol. The man said he would ask. To my his surprise, Asimov agreed to come down and meet him in the lobby. They then spoke for about twenty minutes. Cool or cool?

This book of compiled letters written to Asimov shows exactly the sort of attent
Magda
Nov 15, 2007 rated it liked it
I was sad to find out his views on certain things, but still able to enjoy his funny stories, jokes, and self-references.
Juliana Es
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A delightful compilation of letters. I really enjoy reading them, and may read the letters again and again for inspiration.
Liedzeit
Feb 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: auto-biography
Die Briefe des Meisters. Einige kurz und bündig, andere fast lang und voller Weisheit. Good Job, Stan!
Jason
Nov 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is a total delight. Shortly after Isaac Asimov died his brother Stanley began sorting through his exorbitant amount of personal correspondence. Asimov had thousands upon thousands of letters he had donated to his archives at Boston University. Well it took Stanley nearly two years to read through them but he has produced some true gems for our personal enjoyment.

The book itself is divided into segments or headings, which contain letters dealing with the heading's subject. For instance
Phil
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Isaac Asimov was the most prolific writer of all time. That is no more clearly seen that in his letters, which in addition to his 500 or so books, thousands of essays, number in the tens of thousands. His brother, Stanley, does a great job in sifting through, condensing, and presenting just a small portion of that verbose correspondence for the perusal of the casual reader. Not only does one acquire a feeling for the real, unassuming persona of Isaac Asimov, but one also understands what was imp ...more
Danielle
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was wonderful, so great! I am glad Isaac Asimov's brother decided to put together some of his letters! It gives such an unique and charming view into Asimov's life, personality, and work. I love Asimov! He was such an adorkable guy, so unabashedly himself and had a larger than life personality. I am amazed continually by how much CONTENT he produced during his life, how driven and absolutely tethered to writing he was. Death itself almost couldn't stop him! He was writing up until the ...more
Joshua
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I walked into a little bookstore in northern Vermont and saw a bin labelled "Free Books." How could I resist? I wasn't expecting much but then the unmistakable sideburns caught my eye. Beneath the cover photo it read "Bound Galley - Not For Sale" "An Uncorrected Proof" What a find! This will sit on the edge of the vanity in the bathroom. A place of honor in our home. It will take months to read letter by letter.
Jay Gabler
Mar 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Strictly for the trufan, and that would be me. The fact that Asimov's brother edited his letters down to little nubs of substance makes for convenient organization and easy reading, but it does seem odd that there are virtually no complete letters in this collection. Another quibble: since the collection only really starts in Asimov's 40s, after he started donating his papers to BU, it's hardly the "lifetime of letters" promised by the subtitle. Still, I enjoyed it.
Mike
Oct 04, 2012 rated it liked it
A bit dry, but interesting. A collection of correspondence between Asimov and his fans, and some famous people too. this helps to give you a glimpse of the kind of man he was.
Amber
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My only complaint is that there wasn't more. Asimov is such a joy to read and I thank his brother for this lovely work.
Will Slade
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm biased. I like Asimov's nonfiction a lot. What was surprising was that I found him a very positive example. Cocky-funny, even. A keeper.
Alan Mendelsohn
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
An excellent close up view of the Good Doctor's life
The Hendoman
Apr 11, 2008 rated it liked it
really only for hardcore asimovians, and after you've read the other biogs...
Sharen
Jul 30, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting peek into Asimov's mind. Recommended for any Asimov fan.
Path
  • Karya Nan Indah
  • Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids
  • Asexualities: Feminist and Queer Perspectives
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • The Prodigy: A Biography of William James Sidis, America's Greatest Child Prodigy
  • Principles of Information Systems
  • Historical Fact And Fiction
  • Carl Sagan: A Life
  • Pen on Fire: A Busy Woman's Guide to Igniting the Writer Within
  • Over the Edge/An Edge in My Voice (Edgeworks 1)
  • Marie Curie: A Life
  • How Great Generals Win
  • Social Anarchism or Lifestyle Anarchism: An Unbridgeable Chasm
  • Introducing Stephen Hawking
  • Tycho and Kepler: The Unlikely Partnership That Forever Changed Our Understanding of the Heavens
  • Robert A. Heinlein: In Dialogue with His Century: Volume 1 (1907-1948): Learning Curve
  • Great Physicists: The Life and Times of Leading Physicists from Galileo to Hawking

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o