Start by marking “Flawless Execution: Use the Techniques and Systems of America's Fighter Pilots to Perform at Your Peak and Win the Battles of the Business World” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Your business can take a lesson from the American military's fighter pilots. At Mach 2, the instrument panel of an F-15 is screaming out information, the horizon is a blur, the wingman is occupied, the jet is hanging on the edge -- and yet fighter pilots routinely handle the stress. It's not much different in today's unforgiving business world. One slipup and your company ...more
Published May 23rd 2006 by HarperBusiness (first published May 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Flawless Execution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flawless Execution

Steven
Had some good concepts and tools for being more effective in life and at work, but man alive did it drag on and on!
Jessica Hollo
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best business books I have ever read. Mostly because it is not all business. The whole books relies on a set of military terminology, which mean you cannot come into the concepts with any preconceived baggage on what things should mean. Author thoroughly explains all terms used with what HE means, so we can all be on the same page, even if we are not in the same room.
At 200ish pages, it is a fairly quick read overall, and it is sprinkled with enough examples from both business and th
Mike Mcdonald
Nov 02, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
The company I worked for hired this group to do a presentation about their experience flying fighter jets. It was supposed to inspire us to be better book salespeople. They gave everyone a free book. I haven't actually read it, but just by the cover you can tell it is bad. I'm ashamed to admit that the book is still on my bookshelf at home. Maybe tonight I'll remember to throw it away when I get home.
Andrew Kleimola
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
As with most businesses books, there is a lot of repetitiveness that could have been edited out. Many of the "Back in my day, when I flew a jet" stories just began to blend into each other. But I got a lot out of his process, particularly the Debrief portion. That spoke to my particular situation most closely, although I will find more value in the earlier sections as I move up in my career. Overall, I would recommend the book.
Chris
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a fair amount of repetition in here, but it serves to drive home the point. He takes an analogy and works it to great effect to inspire you, and pairs that with examples both from the military analogy he uses and the business world, to help you get your head around the intent. It's a really fresh analogy (to me anyway) which is well executed, and I found it inspiring and it gave me a few new ideas.
Eric
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Finally finished this and was reasonably satisfied, even thinking about getting his other book (Business is Combat). While his specific "Execution Cycle" didn't resonate as much with me, the framework supporting it offered enough reinforcement of good ideas and in some cases interesting presentation. Again, nothing really NEW in this book, but if you can get past the flyboy mentality a decent read.
Stephanie
Nov 22, 2016 added it
Shelves: leadership
When one gets thrown into he world of anti-trafficking and has to figure out how to lead people, this book helped more than I can admit. If your life is busy, your work is non-stop, and the people who work for you have way too much on their plate that is all needed, this helps to build a system where things don't fall into the cracks as easily.

I can't stand most leadership books, but I absolutely loved this one (probably because it is written by fighter-jet pilots).
Malek
Jan 11, 2014 rated it liked it
A common sense and helpful approach for operational organisations to effectively knock out work and continuously improve quality. Unlike many businesses books, you need to read every page - you can't just read the cover, first chapter, last chapter and chapter heading /conclusions. This is because it has useful process steps throughout. A decent, simple and easy to remember approach to getting work done in small batches (missions) as you might in a Scrum/Agile environment.
Mikeverville
How to make the most of your talents and elevate your own business performance or that of a team of employees. Written by former fighter pilots who apply their rigorous training to a corporate setting.
Andy Bulkley
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it
somewhat dated examples.
I am sure the live training is highly motivational. I think challenge will be to make this work in large organization, with project teams spread over multiple locations/cultures.
I will try some of the techniques personally.
Jon Force
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good Read. This book has some very good techniques to aid you in being purposeful with everything you do. Applicable with work, school and personal.
Mike
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was quite thought-provoking. Written by a former fighter pilot, who is now a consultant to business. I found many great ideas, along with a sound system for business and life.
David
This is a tactical planning book based on military tactical planning--specifically fighter pilots. It's useful though it also requires mastering a certain amount of jargon.
Chet Thompson
Jun 19, 2011 is currently reading it
Putting together a Future Picture of my branch right now. Nice book
Mike Williams
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Great principles, not an easy, entertaining read.
Lori Grant
An optional-read book on execution for knowledge workers, managers, executives, and entrepreneurs.
John
Sep 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
I had to read this for work...can you believe it??
Tim Eiler
Good book. Insightful thinking. The author is a little full of himself, and it was sometimes hard to get past that, but it's possible to do so.
Heather
Mark
Jan 03, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Uplifting Service
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • Blockchain: Blueprint for a New Economy
  • Taking the Leap: Building a Career as a Visual Artist
  • The Company: A Short History of a Revolutionary Idea
  • Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of Their Evolution
  • Difference: The one-page method for reimagining your business and reinventing your marketing
  • Competing on Analytics: The New Science of Winning
  • Thriving on Chaos: Handbook for a Management Revolution
  • Understanding Objectivism: A Guide to Learning Ayn Rand's Philosophy
  • Calumet "K"
  • Arguing About War
  • Free Market Fairness
  • Capitalism and the Jews
  • Money: How the Destruction of the Dollar Threatens the Global Economy - And What We Can Do about It
  • Introduction to Type
  • China's Trapped Transition: The Limits of Developmental Autocracy
  • I Am John Galt: Today's Heroic Innovators Building the World and the Villainous Parasites Destroying It

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99