Start by marking “Salty, Bitter, Sweet” as Want to Read:
Salty, Bitter, Sweet

Salty, Bitter, Sweet

“Happiness, like love, arrives through the kitchen. At least that’s what my abuela Lala used to say. I may not know much about love, but I definitely got the kitchen part down.”

Seventeen-year-old aspiring chef Isabella Fields’ family life has fallen apart after the death of her Cuban abuela and the divorce of her parents. She moves in with her dad and his new wife in
Expected publication: March 3rd 2020 by Blink

To ask other readers questions about Salty, Bitter, Sweet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salty, Bitter, Sweet

Start your review of Salty, Bitter, Sweet
Carolina
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
*sigh* i have a lot of thoughts and not many of them are good :'/

update: dropping down my rating to 2, cause the mere thought of this book makes me boil.
Marina
Dec 20, 2019 added it
Disclaimer: I got a free copy of the eArc of this book from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Rating: it's okay, would suggest borrowing from the library.

While I enjoyed Salty, Bitter, Sweet overall, the book sends mixed messages that I personally did not agree with. I also did not enjoy the stepbrother / sister romance and would have passed this book by if the summary had been more clear about it.

The book explores the world of professional French kitchens, with a mixed-nationality main
Rachel
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
In Salty, Bitter, Sweet, seventeen-year-old Isabella Fields is trying to move forward after her abuela’s death and her parent’s divorce, particularly the part where her dad cheated on her mom, remarried, and has a new baby on the way. She’s spending the summer with her father, though, because of his proximity to a summer apprenticeship she’s attending. To make matters more complicated, her new stepmother’s former stepson shows up unannounced and moves in…and he is HOT.

This set-up would make for
Jessica
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you like With the Fire on High or ANY cooking show this book is for you. I am no chef (I barely make pasta and eggs) but the visual explanation of the prep and execution of meals literally had my mouth watering. It makes me want to learn how to cook!

I love the family dynamic it is just complex as real life but with a hint of hope. The divorce representation was good, I only wish to have seen the mother possibly find happiness as the father did.
As a Cuban/African-American having an Abuela
JustYourFriendlyReader
Sweet, warm and friendly, this book tells about a teenage girl striving for her dream of workingin a professional kitchen. For three weeks, she is part of an intensive course in the restaurant of a famous French chef. At the end of the course, one participant will win a coveted apprenticeship.
Alng the way, Isabella must deal with her new stepmother, her grief over her grandmother, her relationship with her father after his affair and subsequent divorce for Isabella's mother. And the infuriating
Rhiannon
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Isa is a chef. She can cook up a storm and she’s even won a spot at a prestigious restarurant for a special summer school.

All is not what it seems though, Isa’a life is far from perfect, her dads new girlfriend seems to hate her and now Diego has turned up and everything seems to be going wrong.

Salty, Bitter, Sweet follows Isa through her summer school as she learns what she wants from life and finally learns how to move on from the death of a loved one.

I found this book so sweet, it reminded
Melhara
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poc, american, arc, ebook, netgalley
Anyone who loves reading YA novels and who also enjoys watching Top Chef, MasterChef, Chopped, Hell's Kitchen, or any kind of cooking show will like this book. I know I did!

Isabella loves to cook and dreams of becoming a Michelin-star chef. Her culinary skills scored her a spot in the prestigious summer cooking program with world renown Michelin-star Chef Grattard. The student who scores the highest marks in this program will win an apprenticeship with Chef Grattard and work alongside him at his
Maria Flaherty
Abi
This review is also found at The Rave Library.

Ah. My first read of this decade, and this is a one decadent read. I seriously have no expectations for this novel, but I'm glad I gave this one a shot. This indulging debut scored some points from me due to the following:

Isabella's journey to become a chef feels real to me. She's a multi-dimensional character who has flaws and mistakes but learns from them. And you know how it's not easy for her to deal with her new family. All the pain she suffered
Jessica
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-fiction
This was well written and engaging for the foreign setting, diverse cast and mouth watering descriptions of food. Can't tell if it will appeal more to middle-aged women or teens though... ha ha. The character development was fine, although I feel like the father-daughter dynamic fell flat and wasn't addressed as much as the story initially set out to tackle it. Unlike some of the other reviewers, I wasn't bothered by the Diego-Isa romance. It didn't break any mold, and it certainly calls into ...more
Katie
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lilian
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
RTC
Margaret Robbins
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Forthcoming review in SLJ, but for now, I’ll say that I loved it!
Katelyn Fowler

• The Dreamers
  • Red at the Bone
  • Dear Evan Hansen
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • The Rosie Result (Don Tillman, #3)
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • The Bright Hour: A Memoir of Living and Dying
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • The World on Either Side
  • Tease (Tease #1-5)
  • You Asked for Perfect
  • Smailholm
  • Don't Let the Beasties Escape This Book!
  • The Cracked Slipper
  • Spin
  • The Move (The Creek Water Series, #2)