Start by marking “No Parking” as Want to Read:
No Parking

No Parking

When Marianne Windmere’s bakery customers begin complaining that her parking lot is always full, she assumes it must be customers for the new restaurant next door. She’s never met her neighbor, and with the parking lot situation, she has no interest in doing so. But when a snowstorm knocks out the power and traps both women in the building overnight, sparks fly–until the ...more
Kindle Edition, 1st edition
Published February 10th 2020 by Ninestar Press

To ask other readers questions about No Parking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Parking

Start your review of No Parking
Lex Kent
3.50 Stars. This was a nice read. My first by Wheeler and I believe her full length debut. For some reason I thought this was a novella but according to my Kindle it was a full length story and it felt like it. This was a little different than I expected, but I’m a fan of different so I appreciate those aspects. There were a few parts that I felt could have been stronger but it was a sweet read for sure.

This is a story about two bisexual women -either 59 or 60- who work next door to each other
Karen
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
No Parking was a easy read and a little on the slow side at times. Marianne Windmere owns a bakery and the building it is in. She is having a parking problem in the back of her lot, but assumes because of the restaurant next door. Her neighbor Rana leases out the store next door and has a restaurant. She assumes that the parking is because of the bakery. As to story progresses, the focus becomes who is parking in the lot, who owns it along with a host of other issues about the building that ...more
Kat
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Extremely interesting story. Loved the fact that most characters were bisexual. That the story promotes friendship, kindness, respect. From bakery owner who almost lost everything, to gaining not only what was hers, but acquiring love interest as well. All started with Parking war and ended in community coming together.
Honestly, I wish I was living there!
Great story. Might be slow on the beginning, but picks up quarter into the book.
I received an advance copy from the publisher via Netgalley for review purposes. This in no way influences my review; all words, thoughts, and opinions are my own.

Content notes:(view spoiler)
Sam
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Who knew a small town could have so much diversity and so much acceptance of the diversity?

We follow the story of Marianne and Rana, two women approaching 60 and owning a business right next to each other. Both women have been married to a man before and have multiple children. The characters are likeable, but somewhat unbelievable. Rana and her daughter are rather open and I found it somewhat unbelievable with their background. I doesn’t line up with my experience.
The ladies have trouble with
Alyshondra
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
eARC

WHAT a delightful book! I swear the last time I snacked this much during a book it was Redwall. So happy for an older f/f romance with small town legal shenanigans and FOOD.

Also I loved how Marianne was friend with her exes, even her ex-husband! That was a wonderful relationship I was not expecting to build.

ALSO ZEKE, Zeke is my bb and I love him.
Coral
Feb 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: recommended, romance
This is a nice romance about two lady business owners in a small town full of queer people, many of whom aren’t white, and there is legal maneuvering to be done! A protagonist who is bisexual and on the ace spectrum, MY HEART! I absolutely loved this.
Tessa
Feb 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this! The book (to me) was less about the romance and more about the town, the bakery, legal issues, social commentary, queerness sprinkled all over, which I enjoyed.
It probably says something about my state of mind as much as the writing, but I could feel the tenseness of the situation in my body while reading. Would recommend this book to others!

(also, ace rep aw yeah!)
Silas
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a delightfully cozy romance with an intriguing cast of characters and a wide diversity in a small town setting!

Marianne Windmere hasn’t always owned her family’s nearly century old bakery, but she has for nearly three decades. It’s seen as an institution in the small town of Swanley as much as the town itself. She lives a quiet life rising early to prep for her long day in the bakery, shares her workspace with one dedicated, albeit young, employee, and fumes over the omnipresent cars
Karin A
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Older characters alert! This is a small-town romance about two ladies in their fifties (almost 60). After reading I think you will enjoy this book if you like slow-paced books and identify as asexual or are interested in reading about that point of view.

Both MC's were married with kids, Marianne was born and raised in the small town and Rana is an immigrant from Egypt. Also, there is Zeke, who is a trans (FTM) man.
This book is very sensitive towards the diverse queer community with the correct
Joyfully Jay
Shelves: kris
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

I thought the blurb for this one sounded cute, and though the book turned out not to be what I expected, it was definitely a good story. The characters absolutely shine here, and really make this story worth reading, even if the plot didn’t quite strike my fancy.

What I particularly loved about this story was the effortless and organic way the author portrayed a truly diverse cast of characters. Not only with the MCs, but all the supporting secondary characters as
Malia
Feb 06, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm sure this book has its audience, and it isn't me. I enjoy that it was a small town romance that featured diverse characters, including sexuality, race, religion, ability, age. I enjoyed reading a romance in which one of the characters was asexual.

I didn't enjoy the prose. I'm more apt to complain when there's too much figurative language and it's leaning toward purple. This had virtually no figurative language at all, and it felt flat to me, like I wanted some attention on the actual art of
Em
Feb 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: f-f, arc, dnf
Did not finish.

The main character has big “will call the cops on you in your own building” energy and it’s so hard to root for her knowing her prejudice and ignorance allowed her to foster an overblown dislike of her neighbour for no reason.

Also, I’d really like for the author to consider getting targeted beta readers next time, because everything from the one-sided grudge to the hyper-focus on the accent, to this one terrible line: “She wasn’t about to get murdered in the dark over a parking
Deanna Ogle
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
"No Parking" is a sweet little novel where small town values and queer folks exist in harmony. Marianne, the protagonist, runs a bakery that has been owned by her family for multiple generations. Her customers have difficulty accessing the parking lot, which she thinks is the fault of the neighboring business, but when the two owners get snowed in together, they find out something more sinister is at work that threatens everything they've built.

There is a tender romance that blooms as Marianne
Karlee
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Kara
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
When I requested an arc of this (which I received, thank you!) i had no idea this novel featured two leads nearing 60! It was a pleasant surprise and the book certainly had all sorts of representation. The small town in this book certainly had a lot of diversity, especially on the lgbt front, which is always great to see, but the characters felt flat and one dimensional and the legal drama with their landlord was something that just felt tedious to me. I found myself largely skimming most of ...more
Mike
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This unapologetically queer little book is a really great look at the tension between thinking you're just living and working somewhere and actually being part of the community, and how sometimes the latter can sneak up on you. The book also took the unusual (in fiction) tack of letting its characters actually get along with their exes (not completely -- I mean, you can still see why they're not together anymore -- but more than a lot of media would have you think is possible). This made them ...more
Beth Younge
This was an interesting lesbian romance as it focused in older characters and most ones i've read focus on those who are thirty and older. I loved the relationship and it's up and downs but the whole subplot regarding who owned the land i didn't really need and i just wanted more pure romance rather than that drama. It felt unnecessary and like tacking on a plot as the story felt it was missing something otherwise.

I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Best Lesfic Reviews
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
We absolutely love books with older MCs. Creating a love story for people in their 50s/close to 60 is somehow so optimistic and heart-warming. Love doesn’t have to be the bastion of only the youth (teens) or young (people up to mid-30s), age groups that most romance writers stick to.

Read the full review @ https://www.bestlesficreviews.com/202...
LauraB
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fast fun read. I'd like to see more from this author after this delightful debut.

I loved this book for its spunky characters and weirdly accurate portrayal of small town New England life. I especially enjoyed the juxtaposition of good food and law as the setting for an emerging romance. It's just the way things happen IRL.
Maggie
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of No Parking by Valentine Wheeler and was instantly intrigued by the description. Older main characters, bi and ace characters, they’re snowed in together? I’ll pick that up! And No Parking delivered. I found it a delightful read that had me cackling with delight as legal shenanigans and small town drama were added to the mix. Absolutely pick this up for a nice romance read.
Melissa
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This book was about a town with a little romance thrown in. I felt like I jumped into the book and new each location and character. The only downside is some of story dragged on, but overall it was a good read.
Doris Raines
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
NO PARKING,
The_Book_Queen
rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2020
Valentine Wheeler
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-did-that
Ellee
Jan 05, 2020

• City Kitty and Country Mouse
  • The Inheritance
  • Out of Practice (Legal Affairs, #2)
  • Providence
  • Spellbound
  • The Empress of Xytae (Tales of Inthya, #4)
  • The Weight of Living (Cherrywood Grove, #3)
  • Mouth to Mouth (Lakeside Hospital, #5)
  • Elimination (After Dark, #3)
  • A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Darkness
  • Twice Upon A Time
  • On Second Thought
  • The Ruin (Cormac Reilly, #1)
  • The Persephone Star
  • An Unkindness of Magicians
  • The Lesbian Billionaires Club (TLBC, #1)
  • Soul Burn
Valentine lives in Boston, where she goes by Lis and spends her time citing obscure postal regulations and arguing with a preschooler. Her short fiction can be found at Ninestar Press and her first novel, NO PARKING, comes out in February 2020.