Start by marking “Murder on Pleasant Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #23)” as Want to Read:
Murder on Pleasant Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #23)

Murder on Pleasant Avenue

(Gaslight Mystery #23)

When Gino Donatelli is accused of a brutal murder, beloved sleuths Sarah and Frank Malloy have to catch a killer who is out to destroy their innocent friend's life in the latest installment of the national bestselling Gaslight mysteries.

A victim is found, brutally murdered and the police are certain they've caught the killer. Their only suspect: Gino Donatelli.

Frank and
Expected publication: April 28th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Pleasant Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on Pleasant Avenue

Start your review of Murder on Pleasant Avenue (Gaslight Mystery, #23)
Melisa
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
As a long time devotee to this series and author, I am saddened to say that this probably my least favorite installment. I will, however, still recommend this series to anyone and everyone who will listen to me forever and ever.

ARC from publisher.
Anna Fox
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite series. I like how the author is able to keep the story lines going for the characters. They mystery kept me guessing. I also like the bits of history that you get while reading the books. We get more of Maeve and Gino in this book, while still getting plenty of Frank and Sarah.

Thank you to the publisher, author and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review.
Melissa
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
I had no idea about Italian Harlem. Learned something new as well as enjoying the mystery.
Krista
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series follow a traditional cozy formula with memorable characters its easy to root for, a well-established sense of place, and a puzzle that the reader can work out with the characters. Where this series diverges, however, is Thompsons willingness to lean into the darkness that was present in her chosen time period. In her novels she has addressed incest, child labor, sex trafficking, and other real evils that existed in our past and in our current reality. Her willingness to shine a light ...more
Sandy
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thompson writes a good mystery without giving away to much of the the ending. Great read,
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Great seeing everyone again. Once again one of their own is in trouble. I did wonder who done it. I also know one character was not what she seemed. The story includes a lot of historical information woven into the setting and the plot. This series is holding its own with new and interesting characters and plots.
Betty Cruikshank
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this latest installment in the Gaslight Series, Private detective Frank Malloy and his wife Sarah, are called to investigate the kidnapping of a volunteer from a settlement house in Little Italy. The neighborhood has been plagued by kidnapping and extortion from members of the Black Hand and they are suspected in the disappearance as well. Since members of the community are afraid to contact the police and also suspect they will not do anything, Frank and his employee Gino Donatelli pay a ...more
Brenda Freeman
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have loved the Sarah and Frank story was n this series and am excited to see Maeve and Gino getting bigger storylines. This time a Black Hand leader is murdered and they must prove Gino innocent.
Sharon
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Many story lines going for many characters. The tenement house residents and the help they receive from the settlement houses. Several children and young women are being kidnapped, and the only one coming close to claiming responsibility are the Black Hands group. When the leader of the Black Hands is murdered, the plot thickens. Gino is accused of the murder because he happened to be the one to discover the body. The whodunit kept me guessing. There were many bits of history and glimpses into ...more
Louise
"Murder on Pleasant Avenue" was ... pleasant. This was my introduction to this long-running historical fiction mystery series set in New York around the turn of the century (19th to 20th, that is). I enjoyed the historical setting a lot, but figured out the murderer long before the author revealed who it was. Other reviewers have written that they enjoyed the earlier books in the series more, so I may try to go back and start with the first one and see what I think.

OK as a standalone, but I'm
Cathy
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I was hesitant when I picked up this book, because I seldom read murder mysterys. I ended up finding this book to be a quick read, that kept me interested from beginning to end.

I really enjoyed the historical aspects of this book, especially being of Italian descent.
A 3 rating would be too low, but a 4 is bit too high, in my opinion. The biggest downfall was That I figured out who done it too quickly in the story.

All in all, I would recommend this book, and I think that I will read more books
Anne - Books of My Heart
Stephanie Curran
Paula
Helen Duquette
Sep 15, 2019
2-3-4 Challenge B...: * Murder on Pleasant Avenue by Victoria Thompson 1 4 Mar 27, 2020 09:41AM

• A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • House of Trelawney
  • Careless Whiskers (Cat in the Stacks #12)
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • The Book of Candlelight (Secret, Book, & Scone Society, #3)
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • The Girl He Used to Know
  • All the Ways We Said Goodbye
  • Undead Girl Gang
  • You Are Not Alone
  • Triple Jeopardy (Daniel Pitt #2)
  • The 19th Christmas (Women's Murder Club, #19)
  • The Sun and Her Flowers
  • The Tenant
  • The Cold Way Home (Bell Elkins, #8)
  • Elevator Pitch
  • A Long Petal of the Sea
Victoria Thompson is the USA Today bestselling author of the Edgar® and Agatha nominated Gaslight Mystery series and the Sue Grafton Memorial Award nominated Counterfeit Lady Series. She was nominated for an Edgar Award from Mystery Writers of America in 2001, and in 2012 she received a Career Achievement Award in Mystery Writing from RT Magazine. Six of her Gaslight Mysteries were nominated for ...more

Gaslight Mystery (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Murder on Astor Place (Gaslight Mystery, #1)
  • Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2)
  • Murder on Gramercy Park (Gaslight Mystery, #3)
  • Murder on Washington Square (Gaslight Mystery, #4)
  • Murder on Mulberry Bend (Gaslight Mystery, #5)
  • Murder on Marble Row (Gaslight Mystery, #6)
  • Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7)
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • Murder in Chinatown (Gaslight Mystery, #9)
  • Murder on Bank Street (Gaslight Mystery, #10)