Start by marking “Against All Odds: The inside account of the Thai cave rescue and the courageous Australians at the heart of it” as Want to Read:

I just want to warn you. Youre going to dive to the end of the cave. Youre going to see these kids. Theyre all looking healthy and happy and smiley. Then, youre going to swim away, and theyre probably all going to die.

In June 2018, for seventeen days, the world watched and held its breath as the Wild Boars soccer team were trapped deep in a cave in Thailand. Marooned
Published November 5th 2019 by Penguin eBooks

To ask other readers questions about Against All Odds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against All Odds

Start your review of Against All Odds: The inside account of the Thai cave rescue and the courageous Australians at the heart of it
Sharlene
What a great read! I can confidently say I will NEVER cave dive in my life! The story behind the news was very interesting. I struggled to put the book down and spent quite a bit of the weekend ignoring my family to get this finished!
Grace
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this from start to finish in a day and really struggled to put it down! Two great men telling an incredible story. I still can't believe it ended so perfectly.
Christine Murphy
Riveting - I couldn't put it down!
Abbie Liu
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great read. It shows you a perspective from Dr. Harris and Dr. Craig, which you will never know by watching news. The emotions are raw. I laughed and cried while reading it.
Tess Fisher
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 - hard to put down, told with humour & detail. Got to know the authors so much better than through all the media coverage & built even more respect for them. Incredible story - and still tense even though I knew the ending.
Tricia
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was fascinating. I read it in a day because I couldnt put it down.

They were very lucky that they had an anesthetist who cave dives on their team. I had no idea they sedated the kids to get them out.

Great read!
Daniel Miles
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-borrowed
Brilliantly told. What a story!!!! Champions
Bernice
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book would have been a very difficult read had I not known the outcome. Even knowing that all the boys were rescued from the cave the book still had me sweating it out at times. An interesting read given it was narrated by two authors, one of who was responsible for sedating the boys which initially was against his personal ethics. He, along with the others, realised the boys had no hope and any idea, even a bad idea was worthy of consideration. The book delves into the details of what was ...more
Christopher J.
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Against All Odds is not just a story of a couple of middle-aged Australian cave divers having fun in another country. It tells the warts and all story of two caring doctors whose medical and diving experiences placed them at the forefront of saving a Thai boys' soccer team and their coach from deep in a flooded cave system.
While others believed the boys' fate was sealed once the cave's river began to flood Drs Craig Challen Richard Harris fought for a seat at the table to rescue the teens.
What
Crouton
Mar 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, five-star
This book delivered all I wanted and more, what a great read. At the time of this event I was fascinated by the predicament these boys and divers were in while watching it on TV, but the news only gave you half the story.

This book really fills in all the gaps and confirms or denies any rumours about what happened in that cave and the rescue mission around it. I almost feel as if I've visited the cave myself after such a detailed and endlessly fascinating book. And I never thought I'd know this
Julie McKee
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an inspiring read. Great to hear what really happened from those who were there. Maybe I already loved this book before I read it because I knew there was a happy result at the end... or maybe I just loved it because it was written in such a way as to imagine yourself right there, breathing the dank air with them. Dr Harry doesnt like the word hero so Ill say hes a dedicated, humble, clever-clogs who took his role seriously, with caution, and prevailed despite his doubts. Having his mate ...more
Felicity
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow. I feel like I know people like these divers. People who care. People who volunteer. People who put themselves on the line. But this story is one out of the box. It probably is not a book that I would give 5 stars for the writing but the story is fabulous!

Goodreads star ratings from 23/9/17

My Goodreads star rating... *****

My Goodreads scale:
* waste of time
**filled in time
***good
****excellent
*****absolutely amazing
Amanda
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Courageous and Inspiring

Like everyone, the Wild Boar rescue captivated me and I was on he edge of my seat waiting for any news. This would not have come about without the dedication of all. Trust was paramount from the Wild Boars, they had faith in everyone to get them out. Having read this account I am in awe of both of the authors, it has inspired me more to get out and experience life and not be a passenger.
Kye-Lee
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good and interesting read, it provided more an insightful look into the rescue mission from two key Australians heavily involved in the Thai cave rescue that captured the world. From the media coverage this provides a deeper, real and different account of the events leading up and during the rescue to what in some ways was reported.
You almost can't believe that this is a true story, and how amazing that it had such a happy ending.
Howard
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly well-written especially given that the authors are doctors not writers, and a truly great read. Hard to put down, even though you know the outcome, and Harris and Challen manage to keep it nail-bitingly edgy. There's buckets of humour, tragedy, near-tragedy, and raw human emotion, but the book never gets maudlin, or over-hyped and there is not the slightest attempt at self-aggrandisement. The best book of its type that I've read in a long, long time
Naomi Von Senff
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A wonderful book showing that even in the darkest place, a spark of humanity can create hope. This is an uplifting story showing that heroes are the ones who step up and help, even when it seems impossible.
Erin
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
Such a good book, the first in a long time that I havent been able to put down.

After following the rescue through the media it was great to read the inside account of the rescue.
Kama
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the easy to read way it was written. Just didn't want to put it down. Great to find out some truths and not media propaganda!
Kylie Morrissey
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing
Michele
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing insight into the risks taken to save those stranded in the cave in Thailand. Good to read a first hand account of what actually happened instead of what the media told us.
Bec Booton (Bec's Books)
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Jaspal
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is really good and easy to read. The rescue section really did well in terms of putting me into the mindset of the rescuers at the time - will it or wont it work and built the tension nicely. ...more
John Kelly
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read!
Katie
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So incredibly interesting, I didnt realise the intricacies of what this rescue entailed.
Couldnt put it down.
Becky
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down. Even knowing the excellent outcome of this story it was still so nerve wracking.
Lee Baker
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! What a great tale or guts and courage on behalf of everyone involved.
Margi Smith
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I couldnt put this down read it cover to cover ...more
Denise Simons
An excellent book that detailed the very dangerous rescue mission of the Thai Footballers trapped in a flooded cave.
Kim Miller
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Well written and super interesting on a few different levels.
Sam Harvey
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really lovely account from the point of view of the two Australian cave divers who helped rescue the Thai boys.

• 488 Rules for Life
  • The Diamond Hunter
  • Khaki Town
  • The Prettiest Horse in the Glue Factory
  • Cold Blood (Aidan Snow #1)
  • The Strangers We Know
  • The Angry Sea (John Carr, #2)
  • To Die in Vienna
  • When All is Said & Done
  • Travel to China: Everything You Need to Know Before You Go
  • The Lost Summers of Driftwood
  • Peace
  • The Emperor's River: Travels to the Heart of a Resurgent China
  • Dead Man Switch (A Billie Walker Mystery #1)
  • A Bridge Even Further: From the UK to Singapore by train
  • The Girl in the Painting
  • The Weekend
  • Your Own Kind of Girl

Related Articles

“At an individual level,’ he said, ‘we must all accept personal responsibility for our destiny. Confronting the small challenges that appear every day and taking responsibility for your actions and their consequences is the only way to be ready for the life-defining events.’ Too many people hide from this, he said. ‘There is a temptation to take the easy road, to think that life would be better if we mould it to be as comfortable as possible,’ Craig continued. ‘But there is a real and serious risk in doing this, the risk that we miss the opportunities that present themselves. Missing a chance to lend a hand and help others. A risk of never knowing our own strength and what we are capable of. And we risk that, when we face our test and adversity confronts us, we crumble into a heap and give up instead of standing up.” 0 likes
“How you react to something makes a difference. It determines whether you’re going to enjoy it or not. It determines whether you’re going to be any good at it.” 0 likes