Start by marking “A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)

A Throne of Swans

(A Throne of Swans #1)

In a world where the flightless are ruled by those who can fly...

When her father dies just before her birthday, seventeen-year-old Aderyn inherits the role of Protector of Atratys, a dominion in a kingdom where nobles are able to transform at will into the bird that represents their family bloodline. Aderyn's ancestral bird is a swan. But she has not transformed for years,
Published January 9th 2020 by Hot Key Books

To ask other readers questions about A Throne of Swans, please sign up.
Katharine Corr Yes, though it is a subplot, not the most important aspect of what happens!

Start your review of A Throne of Swans (A Throne of Swans, #1)
Bookphenomena (Micky)

I think this will be the final completed read of 2019 for me and the year couldn’t have finished in a better way. What more can a bookworm ask for than a book that you cannot put down and that you think of when you aren’t reading it? A THRONE OF SWANS was all of this and with the most delicious cover too.

This book had the sense of a traditional fairytale but with more identifiable traits in the characters. So, while it had a historical feel, the behaviours and actions had more of a
Amybibliophile
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases
A Throne of Swans is an engaging story of royalty, betrayal & secrets inspired by Swan Lake.

Right from the start Katherine & Elizabeth Corr takes us into this magical world where nobility can transform into the bird that represents their house, where as those that aren't nobility are called flightless and are seen as lesser beings that are there to serve.

Aderyn is Protector of Atratys now that her father has passed away, one of the few people keeping her secret that she is flightless,
K.S. Marsden
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
As the new Protector of Atratys and the niece of the King, Aderyn has to go to court, the one place her father tried to protect her from. She has to work out who to trust, and protect her secret - she can't fly.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Aderyn lives in a world where the ruling class transform into birds. The 'Flightless' lower class live and die by their harsh rules.
After an attack when she was a child, which killed her mother and left Aderyn both
Max Lau  • Maxxesbooktopia
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come!!! ...more
Tilly
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I was so excited about this book and although it didn't quite hit my expectations, I still really really enjoyed it.
I am a massive lover of birds and merging with my love of YA fantasy, this book was always going to appeal to me. I wish I could transform into a bird!
The worldbuilding was really interesting and the inclusion of the map and family tree was helpful. The elite having the powers and the poor not having any is not a new idea, however the different houses and the ideas behind
ThatBookGal
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I adored the idea of the ruling class being able to transform into birds. This was fast paced, with an interesting cast of characters. The end has me needing the next book NOW!

Full review available on my blog here.
Lauren
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much to Darkroom Tours and HotKey books for sending me a free copy of this book for review.

From the very first page, Katharine & Elizabeth take us into a a vivid, magical world where nobility are able to transform into birds which represent each noble household and where those unable to transform are known as flightless. The flightless are viewed, by the nobles, as lesser than themselves and are basically only kept around to serve.

In this book our main character, Aderyn, is
Becca (Horners_book_corner)
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Throne of Swans is the first book in a young adult fantasy duology by the sisters Katharine and Elizabeth Corr. I found it was a well-written, fast paced, fun read with excellent (and surprising) plot twists, humour and just the right touch of romance. I loved the ingenious, unique magic system involving birds that links to how the society in this book is structure. I absolutely cannot wait to find out how the story thickens and what happens to Aderyn, Odette, Lucien and Aron in the conclusive ...more
Jane Kelsey
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg IT WAS SOOOOOOO GOOD. I love it. Full review to follow
Paperbacks
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I would like to say a huge thank you to Darkroom Tours and Hot Key Books for sending me a copy of this fantastic book for review. I mean I just took one look at the cover and fell in love with it. It’s apparently inspired by Swan Lake which I have to admit I really know little about which probably helped with how original and intriguing I found this story. From the first page I was totally drawn into the story in way I’ve not been for a long while. I just didn’t want to put it down as ...more
K B
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A Throne Of Swans, by Elizabeth and Katharine Corr is a Swan Lake inspired story of magic, royalty and murder.

Synopsis. Follwing the tragic loss of her mother at an early age, Aderyn is unable to transform into a swan. All noble bloodlines can transforms into a different bird, those who cannot are kown as the flightless and cannot rule. Aderyn’s father has just died and she is now the Protector of Atratys, her dominion, no longer protected by her family.

She decides to attend the court of her
The Bookish Faerie
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
HOLY SHIT! AHH AH AH! I am ever so grateful to receive an ARC of this epic tale from @definitelybooks. As a fan of dark medieval fantasy stories, I love this book so freaking much. Think Game of Thrones but it is The White Queen and the Houses are bird names. The deception and court politics is basically a TV drama series packed into 321 pages. I did not anticipate the ending! I had something else in mind BUT HOLY FRICK! This review is going to be all over the place and 100% love.

The hypnosis
Louise
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-releases, fantasy, arc, ya

I requested a copy of A Throne of Swans to review because I’m deeply shallow and the cover is stunning. Luckily, the story was amazing and proved my shallowest instincts were absolutely correct.

Taking inspiration from Swan Lake, but not so close as to be a retelling, A Throne of Swans has incredible and original world-building and is chock full of political, royal intrigue.

I loved Aderyn. She’s such a compelling character, moving from sheltered and slight stroppy teen to a dynamic and thoughtful
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
A thrilling read, I enjoyed the new take on fantasy here. I thought the world building was really good, the characters were well developed and relatable, the story was fast paced and lots of twists to keep you guessing. A Throne of Swans feels really fresh, interesting and is a breath of fresh air in YA fantasy. Looking for something new to devour , jump in here , I wasn’t disappointed at all, I loved it and I can’t wait for the sequel

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an
Kaya
Dec 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
a swan lake retelling.

No more words are necessary.
Thebooknerd90
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would rate this book 5/5 this book had me hooked from the start and I was unable to put it down. This book had it all for me, great characters some which you loved and others that you really despised, characters finding love whilst fighting for their place in the world along with broken loyalties with unexpected twists and turns, it had me sitting on the edge of the seat just waiting to know what would happen next. I highly recommend reading this book when it comes out in January 2020. ...more
Beth Knight
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC from Hot Key of this and DAMN! My girls have knocked it out of the park. This is sterling high fantasy, Aderyn is a fantastic protagonist and her arc is realistic as she tries to navigate the political quagmire the king's paranoia has caused at court. My heart broke for her several times and the wait for the second is going to be really, really hard.
Annette
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I remember how the witch's kiss ended on my bookshelf. I was buying books in a facebook group and accidentally typed the wrong title first. Instead of just deleting the comment, I looked up the synopsis and decided to just go for it. I really loved that trilogy in the end so when they announced this book I hit the pre-order button as soon as I could.

And I do not regret it at all. The book has everything I like so much in my books. First of all it has a fairytale vibe. It's slightly inspired by
Nikki
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of the arc of this at YALC, but as always, my opinions are honest.

Ooooooh yes. This was just what I needed! Really beautiful and interesting. I found the concept fascinating - especially the idea that the flighted can’t touch the flightless, which is heartbreaking and a very literal take on a class divide.

As always, I really enjoy politics like this, and I found the scheming by side characters brilliant. And I loved Aaron, Odette and Aderyn in terms of how they handle it and
Sabrina
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booktails
The flighted rule, and the flightless are little more than servants. Now that Aderyn's father has died, leaving her as protector of Atratys, if anyone discovered she has lost her ability to fly, she would lose her dominion and everything her father worked for. After being kept at home all her life, now she decides it is time to go to court and see more of the world. But she has no idea of the dangers she will have to face.
I feel like I was doubting everyone, any time Aderyn decided to trust
Jamie-Lee Turner
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like, WOW.

This book is perfect in every sense. From the kingdoms to the characters to the emotions, politics, danger! Gah!

Put this one on your TBR folks.

A Throne of Swans is going to sweep its white wings across the world and SOAR.
Manon
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to receive a proof of this title, and the synopsis had me from the start! I was very excited, and this book did not let me down! I enjoyed this immensely, and I absolutely can't wait for the next book!
Chantelle
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars. This book is so addictive. I loved it!
M.T.Wilson
Thank you so much to Bonnier Zaffre and NetGalley for the eARC of this book.

The concept for this book’s world is what first caught my attention. Also, the cover is striking and the title, A Throne of Swans, is clearly similar to A Game of Thrones. In this book’s world, shape-shifters are the rulers and the flightless, those who cannot transform into birds, are inferior. This is the strongest aspect of A Throne of Swans. This societal structure is well thought out and depicted, including
Andrew
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review Taken from The Pewter Wolf

***ARC given by publisher, Hot Key Books, in exchange for an honest review/reaction***

Inspired by Swan Lake, Throne of Swans follows Aderyn who inherits the role of Protector to Atratys after her father dies. Atratys is a dominion in a kingdom where nobles can transform into birds that represent their family bloodline. Aderyn’s is a swan. But she hasn’t transformed for years after witnessing the brutal murder of her mother, ripped apart by hawks who are
daintybeth
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love that this was inspired by Swan Lake, and I feel like this is a genuinely unique adaptation of a classic tale!
All the character were so real and had so much personality. I immediately loved Aderyn and her view on the world and politics. I loved her determination, her struggles and her realistic humanity. I also loved her friendship with her maid, Letya. It was so nice to see such a positive female friendship in a book that was genuinely lovely and supportive.
This book had me guessing
Christina Reid
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review to come! Very dark and addictive so I can't wait to read Part 2!
Laura Jayne
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
An absolutely stunning YA based on Swan Lake. No spoliers but The world is wonderfully realised and the villians suitably villainous. I had the pleasure of receiving an arc and gobbled it up in one sitting...definitely check this out when it publishes Jan 2020!
Aishah Humaira'
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It took me a single day to finish reading this book, and after being in a reading-slump for a few months, that really says something. I'm glad I went into the story without making any notes from the blurb (honestly, I've already forgotten why I chose to review this book when Pansing contacted me) because the moment it was revealed that the nobles in this kingdom are able to transform into birds that represent their bloodline (not a spoiler, it's obviously in the synopsis), I was immediately ...more
Aradhna Kaur
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairytales, fantasy
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
  • The Sisters Grimm
  • The Six
  • The Deathless Girls
  • The Surplus Girls
  • The Wrong Side of Kai
  • The Good Luck Girls (The Good Luck Girls, #1)
  • Wranglestone (Wranglestone, #1)
  • The Titanic Sisters
  • The Other You
  • Crown of Oblivion
  • Furious Thing
  • D.O.G.S (S.T.A.G.S, #2)
  • The Mercies
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Deeplight
  • Haven't They Grown
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)

A Throne of Swans (2 books)
  • A Crown of Talons (A Throne of Swans, #2)