Start by marking “Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic” as Want to Read:
Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic

Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic

Listening length: 1 hour, 55 minutes

A teenage genius with a big imagination, Wally just moved to Savannah, GA from Maine with his mom, who adopted Wally when he was an infant. In this charming and sweet solo show, Wally investigates a hiccup in the spacetime fabric of his neighborhood which is causing a number of strange events and occurrences. Part science fiction and
Audible Audio, Unabridged , 2 pages
Published August 1st 2019 by Audible Originals

To ask other readers questions about Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic

Start your review of Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic
Marianne
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok story read by a fabulous narrator.
Steve
This is probably the BEST of the free monthly Audible Originals that have been offered since the program started.

Fantastic coming-of-age story, fantastic writing, fantastic narration.

Highly recommended. 5 solid-gold stars!
Chelsea
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
This was an excellent short coming-of-age story that I wish had been longer. It was smart, funny, and engaging, with a wonderful narrator, William Jackson Harper (who plays Chidi in The Good Place!). I really need him to narrate more books.
Sheila Beaumont
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun coming-of-age short story in which a teenage boy finds a quantum anomaly in the fabric of space-time and travels to another dimension. Excellent narration by William Jackson Harper, who plays Chidi on "The Good Place."
Barbara
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible-original
I listened to “the audible original, “Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic” by Nick Carr performed by William Jackson Harper. It’s less than a two hour listen in which we learn that fifteen-year-old Wally can’t wait to have children. Odd thing for a teenage boy. Wally provides the listener with scientific knowledge of time/space continuum. He’s a funny kid, disappointed in his recent move from Maine to Savannah, GA. His arguments with his mother are hysterical, mostly because they ring so true! Wally’s ...more
Henry
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This Audible original is a quirky, funny (but hardly hilarious) story that is worth listening to. I listened to the entire story on my commute to and from work today. The best part was about trying to picture quantum physics: "Imagine an apple--close your eyes and and imagine an apple--but don't close your eyes if your driving; keep them open and imagine an apple."
Karissa
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun audiobook short story. It was a quick listen that I enjoyed. I got it free as an Audible Original.

This is done as a life performance audiobook, I am still not a fan of these. While this book only had one narrator, it had a variety of sound effects in the background that were distracting and I could have done without that.

Wally Roux is a boy genius who is finding quantum anomalies around his town. He is able to repair these anomalies, but they end up leading him on a journey of
Jay DeMoir
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love reading stories about brilliant African American boys/men! This was an enjoyable quick read. Wish it was longer and could've gone deeper into Wally's experiences with the other dimensions
Catherine Puma
Aug 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Being a straight-to-audio story that clocks in at just under 2 hours long, I think this just bit off more than it could actually chew.

Topics like quantum reality, adoption, coming of age, puberty, bullying, alternate realities, and first crushes were all glanced over here, but I don't feel like any one of them were handled adequately or fully.

Because the title of this includes "quantum mechanic", I think this could have been best served by focusing on Wally investigating and explaining the
Lis Carey
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-sf, fiction, audiobooks
Wally Roux is a teenage genius whose mother adopted him when he was an infant, and has just moved them from Maine to Savannah, Georgia. It is, in his opinion, lonely and boring at best. In addition to that, though, there's a strange space-time hiccup causing weird problems in his neighborhood. For instance, when he walks to and from school each day, he really is walking uphill, both ways.

After a chance encounter leads to him using his excellent mechanical skills to fix a bus engine, he starts
Salema
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn't know it was going to be a fiction but I caught on pretty quick when the protagonist says that he fixed an error in the space-time dimension. If you're not in the mood to read and generally gravitate towards sci-fi content, then this is the perfect audiobook for you. It's quirky, a little funny, and adorable. It is also short and makes for a perfect listen during your commute, because let's face it, the songs on the radio suck.
Richelle  Nicolé
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LeeTravelGoddess
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tops
I love books about smart African American kiddos— Wow Quantum Mechanics lol!!! ...more
Amalia
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Love the narrator (who plays Chidi on The Good Place), so when audible sent an email saying he narrated one of their free books, I went for it! It was short — only 2 hours, but I listen at 1.5 speed so it was more like 1.5 hours total — so, big a lot of substance. Like...kinda cute? And the narration was great, aside from all the looooong pauses audible put into production that kept making me think the book was suddenly over. I’m not really sure what I listened to, or really the point. But I’m ...more
Thomas
An alright little YA story of self discovery using the sci-fi tropes of alternate worlds and the boy-genius.

I went through this phase of life a long time ago, so I’m not really the right guy to rate this one.
Anniken Haga
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, audiobook, 2019
Remember what I said about listening to audiobooks while moving? Yeah. That's what happened here.

Ok, so I got this book for free from audible, it beingone of their monthly originals that they give away to subscribers. I didn't really expect much from it, and to be honest, I only bought it because it was so short.

So, I was pleasently surprised. The story was a bit twisty-turwy and felt cut a bit short at times, but generally I enjoyed it.
The plot was a little all over the place, though, but
Karen’s Library
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a free Audible Original from Amazon Prime and it was actually pretty interesting. I love quantum physics, and paired with a 14 year old’s coming of age tale, it was a decent story.

But what made this story exceptional was the performance by William Jackson Harper!! Well done!!
Eden
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Trippy but intriguing short story centered on a young boy tweaking quantum physics around his neighborhood.
Cherie
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. I really enjoyed it.

Wonderful narration by William Jackson Harper.
Claudia
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
An enjoyable, short and quirky coming of age story. Why only 3 stars? Because while the narration was great, there are too many big topics built into the narration but not fully explored.
Ardyth
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: format_audio
Fun and sweet story with excellent narration.
Taylor
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute, engaging, and absolutely loved it.
Bailey
Nov 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
I thought the premise was great, but execution was poor.

Characters & Story: There was no character development and the story was all over the place. Wally was not likable at all. There's a way to do isolated, narcissistic boy genius, and Carr managed to capture all of the worst traits of that archetype without any of the entertaining or redeeming qualities. In addition to that, Wally is meant to only be 14-15 years old, yet the amount of cursing used felt extremely out of place and just....
Ryan
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Wally Roux, Quantum Mechanic would have benefited from a longer running time.

Spoilers.

The central plot is that Wally Roux, a fourteen year old black child adopted by a single white woman, is transplanted from Maine to Savanah, Georgia, where he notes failures in the space time continuum, which he is able to repair with his trusty quantum-based tools.

I was unclear what type of genre this story would fit into, whether it be comedy or science fiction. It seems to veer into coming-of-age
LindaJ^
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This short audio book tells the story of Wally Roux, one very smart young teenager. Wally is adopted. He lived in Maine until 8th grade, when his mother moved to the South so Wally could have more experience with people like himself. Wally's a genius who figures out how to fix problems in the space-time fabric. He is also African-American; his mother is not.

Wally is not a fan of his new school and he misses his old friends. He finally makes a friend, also adopted. She just wants to be friends
Sarah Booth
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fascinating story about an adopted teenaged genius who is a quantum mechanic fixing odd little anomalies popping up all over the new town his mother moved him to in Georgia. Wally Roux is missing Maine and his school and friends there. He's having a bit of trouble making friends in the south and he does not like to take the bus. If that was me, I would feel a little bit awkward too and find a walk preferable.
This is an Audible recording and it's quite enjoyable to listen to despite the fact
Katherine
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Audible Original Audio Theater production... does this even count as a book? Good reads says yes.

I thought this was cute. Very short, as others have mentioned I would have liked the story to have been flushed out a bit more. Particularly the ending, it felt a little short and like things just tied up in too pretty of a bow. For YA it is heavier on language, but nothing the kids aren’t hearing at school.
Nicole
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Probably a 3.5 star rating... I'd give the book 4 stars if it had been produced differently. But the sound effects were annoying and sometimes louder than the narration. The story was good, the narrator was great. There was just way too much NOISE there, too. Example: I do NOT need to hear the sound of someone chewing with their mouth open in order to envision the scene. I can picture that sound well enough in my head already, thank you.
Leslie Camacho
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cannot for the life of me understand why the majority rated this so low .... There is so much to unpack in this short story it is impressive beyond belief !!! It touches subjects on racism, adoption or not to adopt, being an outlier, being raised by a single parent, stereotypes .... If you didn’t catch all the subtle nuances I am so sorry ! You need to listen again & open your mind !!!! Focus and pay attention, so much meaning. Just Wow. ...more
Stacy GeekRemixALot
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a short Audible freebie that I read while waiting for a library book to become available. Narrated by the actor who plays Chidi on The Good Place, and honestly that casting was an A+ choice! It's about a kid who can sort of bend space time and his thoughts on his life and parents. While the story itself is fun and clever, imagining this as a young Chidi def added to my positive feelings about this, and his narration is spot on.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • Interview with the Robot
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • The Man Who Knew The Way to the Moon