Start by marking “The Nursery (Alexis Tyler #2)” as Want to Read:
The Nursery (Alexis Tyler #2)

The Nursery

(Alexis Tyler #2)

Lex Tyler is trying to have it all.

But being a working mother is so much more difficult when you're a secret agent for an underground branch of the security services.

Platform Eight have been tasked with tracking down and eliminating the traitor in MI6 who has been selling information to the highest bidder through a headhunting website for the criminal underworld that c
Published September 5th 2019 by Zaffre Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nursery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nursery

Start your review of The Nursery (Alexis Tyler #2)
Amanda
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lex is trying to balance bringing up her two year old daughter Gigi, which is hard enough with her tantrums and demands, working full time and trying to find time for her husband. But when you are a secret agent and you cannot tell you’re husband what you do at work, well that just complicates things more!!

“Mother. Secret agent. Two roles. Two lives”

There is a leak and some of the agents covers have been blown. Lex and her team are working on uncovering the snake. They have three suspects and L
Bookread2day
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The review for The Nursery by Asia Mackay is on my website www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
Asia Mackay is back. I'm so pleased that Asia Mackay is back with The Nursery. I read Killing It, that I recommend. Killing it had red and black cover, so I felt that the plain red cover to The Nursery was right for danger zone.

Lex Taylor had to juggle two roles being a mother and working as a secret agent.

Working and Being a mother means you have to keep up with what your child is up to. Gigi, Lex's daugh
Liz Barnsley
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I LOVED this. Wildly entertaining with a brilliantly witty main protagonist and a banging good story to boot.

There’s edge of the seat moments, hilarious asides, glitter and a bit of glamour and all the joys of juggling parenthood and professional life.

If you are a parent you will relate even if you are not a secret government assassin, the difficulties are the same. This, like Killing It, is a brilliant hybrid of espionage and family drama with an edgy, involving prose that will have you laughin
Dawn
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lex is back! Surviving the terrible twos of her precious daughter, Gigi, and struggling with marriage and saving the world! How does a mum who is a spy keep it all in hand? The bigger threat is the safety of the spy’s and a leak in the platform. Using a cover story with the father of one of Gigi’s friends, can Lex save them all once again?
Wow wow wow! killing it was such a good book and then this one topped it! I have such a love for these characters it has to have a sequel soon. Thank you to ne
whitesidereads
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can't love this series enough. ...more
Katy Noyes
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent sequel, parenting/spying has never seemed so achievable or exhausting!

4.5 stars.

"People trying to kill me, bosses betraying me; who needed all that sh*t when I had teething and tantrums and potty-training to deal with?"

Our 'spy mum' returns, with her parenting worries intact and making us all feel a little reassured about ourselves, as Alexis now has to cope with the joys of a walking, talking preschooler whilst keeping the world safe in her secret occupation.

There's a traitor to weed
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
The Nursery is the follow on book from Killing It and I honestly think I’ve found a new favourite character in Lex Tyler. She’s a bad ass, kick ass, assassin mother of a two year old Gigi and is trying to balance work life, motherhood and keep husband Will from finding out what her real job is.

When I heard about The Nursery and read the description I have to admit I got excited, it sounded fab and I’d heard about the first book Killing It but hadn’t read it, I soon changed that though. I flew th
Lynn Brown
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book by this author that I have read. The first, Killing It, was the prequel to this book, but you can easily read this as a standalone book; but why would you? I enjoyed this book even more than the first one, but by reading Killing It you get twice the enjoyment. You can find my review of the first book "Killing It" here.

We meet Lex again in this book, it's two years later on and her daughter Gigi is now a toddler. Lex is still an undercover operative for Platform Eight whil
Jellichor
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*

Our main girl, Lex, is a relatively new mother, a wife and top secret agent - what a life to juggle! The first chapter throws you right into the mists of her action packed work life, and aptly prepares you for the fast pace of the book - closing off with reference to her home-life, and other role, as a mother to her little one who is just starting preschool...

Written in a colloquial and fun way this story includes sarcasm, dark humour and some well timed 'mum realness'. That was my favourite
Rhian Eleri
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well, I must admit that this book tested me! It's out of my comfort zone completely and I did struggle at times. But this isn't a reflection at all on the writing.
So Lex is a spy, working on the dangerous surroundings of the underground. She's also a mummy. Iv nothing in common with this character.... but I enjoyed reading about her home life with her baby girl Gigi and husband Will a little bit more than her spy life!
There were many parts where both came bumping into eachother and this for me
Joanna
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've had Asia McKay's Killing It, on my shelf for ages and hadn't yet got round to it. As it happened, I ended up with an advanced copy of The Nursery and read that first. However, I don't feel as though I lost anything by going in the wrong order.
Lex is a mother, worrying about whether she's projecting gender stereotypes onto her daughter. She's also an assassin. A pretty good one at that. She works for Platform Eight, the lesser known part of the UKs security service. As we meet her, she's ab
Courtney
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I have read Killing It recently and absolutely loved it! So this had high expectations!

I found this book really easy to read and enjoyed reading more about this badass assassin. It was interesting, funny, relatable and well written. There were definitely some laugh out loud moments!

The only reason I have given it a 3.5 star rating was that I did find due to having read the first book I was tempted to skip bits that were being explained again so I think that put me off a little bit. Also, the plo
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Just as good as the first book! I did guess the Snake pretty early on but that didn’t stop my enjoyment of the plot. Fast, funny, and well paced with interesting characters and enough intrigue to make the ‘its hard working and being a mum’ narrative less tedious. I’m not saying it’s not hard by the way. All in all I wish there were more!
Janice Staines
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Trip To The Museum

Lexi’s daughter, Gigi is now two years older and has started at nursery school. Lexi now has to juggle the school run, parent meetings and getting to know the other mums and dads with her job as special agent.

As it happens though, this turns to her advantage as she and her team try to protect a visiting Chinese minister from a rogue team of potential assassins.

And Lexi makes some new friends along the way.
I loved ‘Killing It’ and this second book doesn’t disappoint either. It
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Right, I didn’t realise this until afterwards, BUT, ‘The Nursery’ is the second ‘Lex Tyler’ novel, with ‘Killing It’ being the first. Do you need to read the previous book in order to enjoy the second? Well, seeing as I had absolutely no idea that this was a series, I can hand on heart say that, no, you do not need to read the books in order. That said, if you’re anything like me once you’ve read books out of order’ you
Nick Brett
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
This a light fun read that straddles the gap between an action thriller and humour. Lex is on one hand a Mum, on the other a female James Bond type working for a mysterious organisation. It’s an odd mix. The action stuff works pretty well to be honest and the balance of being on one hand a killer and on the other a yummy mummy type is sometimes clever, sometimes funny and sometimes irritating.
I found the code names they give to everyone and the weird bad guy organisation a bit over the top, but
Stefennie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
2nd Book in the series and just as Girl power, kick ass, protective mother, loving wife & great agent-y as the first one. Love this character.....so wish I was her !
Cheri Champagne
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn't find this one as great as the first, but I still enjoyed it. The ending was disappointing (not just the cliffhanger); the "big reveal" was anticlimactic and there was no suspense. I found that it read more like a cozy, rather than something heart-pounding. Additionally, I could see the ending coming from the third chapter, which dulled the anticipation of the reveal quite a lot.

After reading the first novel, there was too much repetition at the beginning of this one; I wish that there'd
Patricia
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lex Tyler is back and still struggling to be both a good mom and agent. Her daughter Gigi is a toddler now so trying to cope with her secret agent work plus attention seeking tantrums at home ain't easy....and that's just from her husband Will who (understandably) doesn't get why his wife is always absent. Both in body and mind. What he doesn't and can't know is Lex is dealing with a traitor in MI6....one that threatens both national security and her fellow agents. Too many have been lost alread ...more
Jane Hunt
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More adventures, or misadventures of Lex and Platform eight. She’s tasked with finding a double agent in the secret services, and action and danger surround her.

Her home life is arguably more challenging. The mother of a two-year-old, she faces the terrible twos on a daily basis. Combining motherhood and being a spy leads to lots of drama and many humorous moments.

The plot is fast-paced and well written with twists, danger and delightful comic moments. The characters are vividly created but beli
Ruth
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-modern
FWFTB: Assassin, mother, shooting, daughter, Montessori.

Liked: The humour juxtaposed with some great action pieces. The main character, Lex is great and I can imagine that this series is just going to get better and better.

Not so much: For me, the plotting was a little haphazard but did not detract from the overall reading experience.

Recommended- yes.
Neil
Apr 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
I received a free copy via Netgalley in exchange for a honest review.
This was just not for me.
I found the main character to be contradictory and the story to be far fetched.
This Could have been so much better if the author had decided whether it was a comedy or action.
In the end it was neither and was tedious reading to put it mildly.
Ros Taylor
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In spite of it being totally implausible, it made me laugh and I loved the heroine's self-deprecating humour. As a grandma with a three-year old, I could identify with so much of the interaction between mother and Gigi, especially to do with the nursery. Very similar to her first book but because it was so funny, I appreciated it. ...more
Paula J.
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great sequel to the wonderful Killing It. Mackay brings humor and pondering to the life of a spy juggling the school run with protecting visiting dignitaries and figuring out the identities of the mysterious dark web infiltrators.
Courtney
Apr 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i just love this book series so much !!!!!!!! LOVED the story, loved how it developed, loved the characters, just really loved it !!!!! very enthusiastic about it because i really loved it !!!!!! (have i made that clear yet!!!!)
Julie
Feb 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first half of this book then it seemed to go on for ever and I felt it lost part of the story about her being a mother and focused more on her job
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful sequel of Lex's story :) Already hopeing for a volume three :)
laura melbourne
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Down to earth and believable characters we can all relate to in some way
julie solari
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't put it down!

Loved the book. Grabbed by it from the start and kept me thinking all the way through. Just a brilliant read.
Catherine
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in a very entertaining series where a young woman juggles marriage and a toddler with a job as a Government assassin.
« previous 1 3 next »

• 17 Church Row
  • The Fallout
  • Home Truths
  • We Begin at the End
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • Live a Little
  • Rewind
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross Book, #27)
  • Elevator Pitch
  • Twisted
  • A House of Ghosts
  • The Girl in the Grave (Beth Adams, #1)
  • With the Fire on High
  • Woman on the Edge
  • The Night Caller (Detective Carrie Flynn, #1)
  • The Carer
  • Date Night
Asia studied Anthropology at Durham University, after which she started a career in television. She presented and produced lifestyle programmes in Shanghai before moving back to London, where she worked for Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman as Project Manager on their round the world motorbike documentaries.

She started writing Killing It on maternity leave and undertook a Faber Academy course to h

Alexis Tyler (2 books)
  • Killing It (Alexis Tyler #1)