Start by marking “The Nursery (Alexis Tyler #2)” as Want to Read:
The Nursery (Alexis Tyler #2)

The Nursery

(Alexis Tyler #2)

Lex Tyler is trying to have it all.

But being a working mother is so much more difficult when you're a secret agent for an underground branch of the security services.

Platform Eight have been tasked with tracking down and eliminating the traitor in MI6 who has been selling information to the highest bidder through a headhunting website for the criminal underworld that
Published September 5th 2019 by Zaffre Books

To ask other readers questions about The Nursery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nursery

Start your review of The Nursery (Alexis Tyler #2)
Amanda
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lex is trying to balance bringing up her two year old daughter Gigi, which is hard enough with her tantrums and demands, working full time and trying to find time for her husband. But when you are a secret agent and you cannot tell you’re husband what you do at work, well that just complicates things more!!

“Mother. Secret agent. Two roles. Two lives”

There is a leak and some of the agents covers have been blown. Lex and her team are working on uncovering the snake. They have three suspects and
Bookread2day
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The review for The Nursery by Asia Mackay is on my website www.bookread2day.wordpress.com
Asia Mackay is back. I'm so pleased that Asia Mackay is back with The Nursery. I read Killing It, that I recommend. Killing it had red and black cover, so I felt that the plain red cover to The Nursery was right for danger zone.

Lex Taylor had to juggle two roles being a mother and working as a secret agent.

Working and Being a mother means you have to keep up with what your child is up to. Gigi, Lex's
Liz Barnsley
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I LOVED this. Wildly entertaining with a brilliantly witty main protagonist and a banging good story to boot.

There’s edge of the seat moments, hilarious asides, glitter and a bit of glamour and all the joys of juggling parenthood and professional life.

If you are a parent you will relate even if you are not a secret government assassin, the difficulties are the same. This, like Killing It, is a brilliant hybrid of espionage and family drama with an edgy, involving prose that will have you
Dawn
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lex is back! Surviving the terrible twos of her precious daughter, Gigi, and struggling with marriage and saving the world! How does a mum who is a spy keep it all in hand? The bigger threat is the safety of the spy’s and a leak in the platform. Using a cover story with the father of one of Gigi’s friends, can Lex save them all once again?
Wow wow wow! killing it was such a good book and then this one topped it! I have such a love for these characters it has to have a sequel soon. Thank you to
Katy Noyes
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent sequel, parenting/spying has never seemed so achievable or exhausting!

4.5 stars.

"People trying to kill me, bosses betraying me; who needed all that sh*t when I had teething and tantrums and potty-training to deal with?"

Our 'spy mum' returns, with her parenting worries intact and making us all feel a little reassured about ourselves, as Alexis now has to cope with the joys of a walking, talking preschooler whilst keeping the world safe in her secret occupation.

There's a traitor to weed
Dee-Cee  It's all about the books
The Nursery is the follow on book from Killing It and I honestly think I’ve found a new favourite character in Lex Tyler. She’s a bad ass, kick ass, assassin mother of a two year old Gigi and is trying to balance work life, motherhood and keep husband Will from finding out what her real job is.

When I heard about The Nursery and read the description I have to admit I got excited, it sounded fab and I’d heard about the first book Killing It but hadn’t read it, I soon changed that though. I flew
Lynn Brown
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book by this author that I have read. The first, Killing It, was the prequel to this book, but you can easily read this as a standalone book; but why would you? I enjoyed this book even more than the first one, but by reading Killing It you get twice the enjoyment. You can find my review of the first book "Killing It" here.

We meet Lex again in this book, it's two years later on and her daughter Gigi is now a toddler. Lex is still an undercover operative for Platform Eight
Rhian Eleri
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Well, I must admit that this book tested me! It's out of my comfort zone completely and I did struggle at times. But this isn't a reflection at all on the writing.
So Lex is a spy, working on the dangerous surroundings of the underground. She's also a mummy. Iv nothing in common with this character.... but I enjoyed reading about her home life with her baby girl Gigi and husband Will a little bit more than her spy life!
There were many parts where both came bumping into eachother and this for me
Joanna
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've had Asia McKay's Killing It, on my shelf for ages and hadn't yet got round to it. As it happened, I ended up with an advanced copy of The Nursery and read that first. However, I don't feel as though I lost anything by going in the wrong order.
Lex is a mother, worrying about whether she's projecting gender stereotypes onto her daughter. She's also an assassin. A pretty good one at that. She works for Platform Eight, the lesser known part of the UKs security service. As we meet her, she's
Courtney
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I have read Killing It recently and absolutely loved it! So this had high expectations!

I found this book really easy to read and enjoyed reading more about this badass assassin. It was interesting, funny, relatable and well written. There were definitely some laugh out loud moments!

The only reason I have given it a 3.5 star rating was that I did find due to having read the first book I was tempted to skip bits that were being explained again so I think that put me off a little bit. Also, the
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

Right, I didn’t realise this until afterwards, BUT, ‘The Nursery’ is the second ‘Lex Tyler’ novel, with ‘Killing It’ being the first. Do you need to read the previous book in order to enjoy the second? Well, seeing as I had absolutely no idea that this was a series, I can hand on heart say that, no, you do not need to read the books in order. That said, if you’re anything like me once you’ve read books out of order’ you
Jellichor
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5*

Our main girl, Lex, is a relatively new mother, a wife and top secret agent - what a life to juggle! The first chapter throws you right into the mists of her action packed work life, and aptly prepares you for the fast pace of the book - closing off with reference to her home-life, and other role, as a mother to her little one who is just starting preschool...

Written in a colloquial and fun way this story includes sarcasm, dark humour and some well timed 'mum realness'. That was my favourite
Nick Brett
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
This a light fun read that straddles the gap between an action thriller and humour. Lex is on one hand a Mum, on the other a female James Bond type working for a mysterious organisation. It’s an odd mix. The action stuff works pretty well to be honest and the balance of being on one hand a killer and on the other a yummy mummy type is sometimes clever, sometimes funny and sometimes irritating.
I found the code names they give to everyone and the weird bad guy organisation a bit over the top, but
Stefennie
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
2nd Book in the series and just as Girl power, kick ass, protective mother, loving wife & great agent-y as the first one. Love this character.....so wish I was her !
Cheri Champagne
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn't find this one as great as the first, but I still enjoyed it. The ending was disappointing (not just the cliffhanger); the "big reveal" was anticlimactic and there was no suspense. I found that it read more like a cozy, rather than something heart-pounding. Additionally, I could see the ending coming from the third chapter, which dulled the anticipation of the reveal quite a lot.

After reading the first novel, there was too much repetition at the beginning of this one; I wish that there'd
Jane Hunt
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More adventures, or misadventures of Lex and Platform eight. She’s tasked with finding a double agent in the secret services, and action and danger surround her.

Her home life is arguably more challenging. The mother of a two-year-old, she faces the terrible twos on a daily basis. Combining motherhood and being a spy leads to lots of drama and many humorous moments.

The plot is fast-paced and well written with twists, danger and delightful comic moments. The characters are vividly created but
Ruth
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-modern
FWFTB: Assassin, mother, shooting, daughter, Montessori.

Liked: The humour juxtaposed with some great action pieces. The main character, Lex is great and I can imagine that this series is just going to get better and better.

Not so much: For me, the plotting was a little haphazard but did not detract from the overall reading experience.

Recommended- yes.
Catherine
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in a very entertaining series where a young woman juggles marriage and a toddler with a job as a Government assassin.
Rosie Whibley
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just as gripping as the first.
fergus james kenneth glenapp
A wonderful book

This was an excellent read. The Nursery creates a very vivid and involving world that you don't want to end. Lex leaps off the page, like Villanelle with more Fleabag in her. I only hope her story continues.
Jacqueline  sharp
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book written by Asia Mackay with Alexis Tyler, Lex for short, the first book in the series is Killing It, I had to buy that and read it before I could get to this one, as I really don’t like reading books out of order. I wasn’t disappointed in either book.

Lex is not just a mother, she is also an assassin, she is trying to juggle two totally different jobs, which is not always easy to do. Her husband doesn’t even know what Lex’s job is, which can complicate things even more, he
Charlotte
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loves this book so thrilling and nerve wracking. I read it all in two days so good I couldn’t put it down. It really needs another book in the series to finish it off but we’ll see what we get.
Marjorie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

After reading Asia Mackay's debut novel, Killing It, I was really looking forward to this one. Sure enough I was not disappointed when we take back up with Lex right in the middle of a dramatic firefight to rescue an agent whose cover has been blown. The team seem to have survived the perfidy of the first novel and are still fighting the good fight for the Country. Even better this is all sandwiched up against Lex's attempts to be a "normal" mother to Gigi and wife to Dan.

To be honest
Scott
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy from Readers First in exchange for an honest review.

When i discovered this was book 2 in a series i rushed to get book 1 read before receiving this one, then read them back to back. However on doing this i can safely say you can easily join the series from book 2 as there is enough references to the goings on in book 1 that you aren't missing out on too much. But if you enjoy this one then at least you know there is more already there for you ready to enjoy.

I don't think
Andrew
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Lex is a government assassin and a mother, a great idea with lots of potential, just my cup of Lapsang. Alas the weak research and characters let it down.

Lex has to bash some enemies of the state and pick up her child from nursery. The motherhood part is dealt with really well thanks to the authors own experience, there is a lot I can relate to. Gigi, the child is cute, but annoying at times with her repetition.

The action scenes are quick and have few details, this is tongue in cheek, but that
Breakaway Reviewers
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A cracking read that grows on you

At first, I was not sure where this book was going, and the writing style took awhile to get used to, but once I grasped the storyline I was hooked. Alexis Tyler is part of a top secret organisation called Platform Eight, based in an unused part of the London underground. Her husband, family and friends have no idea what her day job involves, as far as they are concerned she works for the Government Communication and Data Specialisation Branch, doing a dull desk
Bev
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I couldn't wait to get hold of this. The first book we see Lexi struggling with her self, her newborn and her colleagues preconceptions as she returns to work as an assassin from maternity leave.
Now Gigi is entering the terrible twos and Lexi has her relationship to worry about.
I really enjoyed the book, though it wasn't as funny as the last. There aren't as many toy, gun, baddie moments or awkward parent, or useful parent incidents, though there is a glorious moment with a Dinosaur torch, Pom
Tammy Tudor
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book starts off at such a fast pace and never slows down but it is just perfect for this genre and story and at times I didn't want to put it down was always wondering what was going to happen.

The writing style is very modern and very clever, it captures your attention at every given moment. Love the characters, especially the fact that the main character is female which is often rare for a thriller sort of story.

If you like action, this is for you! However, it is not an easy read at times
Ruth
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lex Tyler and her fellow Rats at Platform 8 (the secret Secret Service) are on the trail of a shadowy network that have infiltrated MI5 and MI6 and blown the cover of a number of agents. Only their team are working on this, all the others are in shutdown until it' resolved. Lex also has to work with a fellow parent from her daughter's nursery - Frederick, their link with MI6 on the investigation. Not only is he a fellow agent, he's also the nursery's resident Hot Dad, which adds an extra ...more
Hayley (Backpacking Bookworm)
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took me a couple of chapters to really get into this book. I didn't realise it was a sequel so I was a bit confused at the parts that were clearly relating to the previous book. However, once it moved past that and I got to grips with the character backgrounds and Platform 8, I was hooked.

Lex is a mum, a wife, and a highly trained assassin. The success of her next mission is vital to saving not only a very important delegate but also hundreds of innocent people. Their highly sensitive
« previous 1 3 next »

• Home Truths
  • The Fallout
  • Rewind
  • Live a Little
  • Three Little Truths
  • The Other You
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Seven Days
  • 17 Church Row
  • Your Guilty  Secret
  • The Exclusives
  • My not so functional family
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • The Pact
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • Starve Acre
  • The Titanic Sisters
  • How to Play Dead
Asia studied Anthropology at Durham University, after which she started a career in television. She presented and produced lifestyle programmes in Shanghai before moving back to London, where she worked for Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman as Project Manager on their round the world motorbike documentaries.

She started writing Killing It on maternity leave and undertook a Faber Academy course to

Alexis Tyler (2 books)
  • Killing It (Alexis Tyler #1)