Start by marking “The Age of AI: Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Humanity” as Want to Read:
The Age of AI: Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Humanity

The Age of AI: Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Humanity

Associate research fellow at the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission, Jason Thacker, helps us navigate our digital age in this thoughtful exploration of the social, moral, and ethical challenges of our ongoing interactions with artificial intelligence.

Alexa, how is AI changing our world? We interact with artificial intelligence, or AI, nearly every moment of the day wi
Published March 3rd 2020 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about The Age of AI, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Age of AI

Start your review of The Age of AI: Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Humanity
Ghadeer Hussein
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Informative and insightful book about AI and its impact on society and how it is changing human interactions.
The ethical impact of AI is one of the interesting and thought provoking points raised by this book. How will the wars look like with the expansion of using AI.
George P.
Popular thinking about artificial intelligence (AI) alternates between the utopian and dystopian. Will our future be like the 1999 film Bicentennial Man, in which a robot becomes human over the course of 200 years? Or will it be like the 1984 movie The Terminator, in which a cyborg assassin travels back in time to kill the mother of the man who will prevent an AI-initiated nuclear holocaust?

Perhaps the future will be a little of both. As Jason Thacker demonstrates in The Age of AI, humanity is t
Taylor Barkley
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fine introduction to AI, theology, and ethics for those who are looking for a place to start. It’s brief and very readable! The chapter on privacy adds much needed treatment to an underdeveloped body of writing and thought on the subject from a Christian perspective.
Grant Humphreys
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good overview of the evolution of A.I., how it impacts society and culture, and how we should ethically leverage it for the flourishing of mankind. This is one of the few books that I’ve come across that approaches A.I. from a Christian worldview and applies truth from scripture to the subject.
Sarah Robbins
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for believers wanting to engage with the current trends in technology.
Alistair Chalmers
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Artificial intelligence is not a topic that I've looked into much, I'm not great with technology. But this is an area that Christians must become aware of and engage with.

In this book you'll hear of some of the progresses that have been made with AI, it goes much wider than one might initially think. AI is involved in banking, medicine, warfare, work and even in our homes. So it's pretty important!

This book explores the benefits, limitations and dangers of AI. The fundamental conviction is that
Seth Woodley
This book is thoughtful and filled with practical wisdom for the present and the future. Thacker explains AI in a way that anyone can understand, and he examines the way it could affect a variety of areas in our lives and societies. There is something in here for everyone, and this book will serve as a helpful guide for years to come.
Tim
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I recently started to be interested in AI and was looking for a starting point for reading about it. Thacker's book caught my eye and is the first I've read on the topic with at least three more on my to-read list. It is as good a place as any other for anyone. I most highly recommend it for people of faith, specifically Evangelical, Bible-believing Christians looking for wisdom how to reconcile "the Age of AI" with biblical faith as artificial intelligence proceeds and continues to come more an ...more
Nicholas Lewis
Nov 28, 2021 rated it liked it
Jason Thacker’s book is more of a primer than a fully developed research project on a practical theology of dealing with A.I. but it serves as a wonderful introduction to the ethical dilemmas modern technology like A.I. presents to the Church. It’s a great conversation starter and for those working in the technology field, I think this is a book that you should read to begin to formulate discernment on the use and development of these powerful A.I. tools. I hope more books like these appear on t ...more
Austin
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: technology
This was a surprisingly simplistic treatment of the A.I. issue. I was definitely expecting better, since Jason Thacker brings considerable credentials to the table. But I found Bible verses shallowly or dubiously applied, cliched questions, and not particularly insightful answers to those questions. I did finish the book, but it was out of sheer self-discipline and respect for the person who recommended the book to me, not on the merit of the book itself.
Mam
Jun 04, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I read only a couple of paragraphs, sorry - not what I had thought.
Ruth Scaife Scaife
Jul 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good thought provoking book. After reading it I'm not sure which side the author is on whether for or against it. But I liked the parallelism to Biblical principals. ...more
Dominic
Dec 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
An interesting exploration of faith and a relationship with God in the age of Artificial Intelligence.
Isaac Whitney
Glenn
Oct 03, 2020
Jacob Ladd
Dec 04, 2021

• Is Christmas Unbelievable?: Four Questions Everyone Should Ask about the World's Most Famous Story
  • Peril
  • I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump's Catastrophic Final Year
  • A Church Called Tov: Forming a Goodness Culture That Resists Abuses of Power and Promotes Healing
  • Robot Dreams (Robot #0.4)
  • Tastes of Paradise: A Social History of Spices, Stimulants, and Intoxicants
  • Black and Mennonite
  • Harry Potter: A History of Magic
  • 2084: Artificial Intelligence, the Future of Humanity, and the God Question
  • Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow: Walt Disney and Technology
  • A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America
  • The Superman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • Recovering from Biblical Manhood and Womanhood: How the Church Needs to Rediscover Her Purpose
  • The Hiding Place: The Triumphant True Story of Corrie Ten Boom
  • DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore
  • Mother to Son: Letters to a Black Boy on Identity and Hope
  • Human Compatible: Artificial Intelligence and the Problem of Control
Jason Thacker serves as Associate Research Fellow and Creative Director at The Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention. He is the author of The Age of AI: Artificial Intelligence and the Future of Humanity with Zondervan (March 2020). He writes and speaks on various topics including human dignity, ethics, technology, and artificial intelligence. He is a graduate ...more