Start by marking “One Star” as Want to Read:
One Star

One Star

Not every story was meant to have a happy ending.

Published July 20th 2019 by Pricks Like Thorn Media

To ask other readers questions about One Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Star

Start your review of One Star
Maureen
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
*3.5 stars *

As a book loving community here on Goodreads, we each create a platform in order to share our thoughts on various books, but of course, reading is a subjective matter, and our own background, life experiences, or culture can dictate how we view a particular story, but I doubt that any of us would intend to cause distress to an author. However, this is exactly what Li does when she posts a 1 star review for William Han’s ‘Lost Roll of Film’ little realising that it will be the final
Dita
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dita by: Michelle
Quite clever for a 5-minute, 17 page read! Already rethinking that 1-star review I dropped yesterday....

Eeek!
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Ohhhh I loved this! Read this!!!! Very clever 😍ending! Review to come when I am not so tired 🤣 Thanks Dita for this one 😘
Mort
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes - short, powerful and just a little bit perfect...

Read this, and you will think of it every time you give a one star review in the future -
just like you don't think about cows when you hear: "We need more cowbell!"
Lisa
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Yes, this went from a 4 star to a 3. I didn't even review this shortie, but the fact that I'm still thinking of it says later? Usually that's a good thing! This time though is different. Maybe, just maybe, I didn't like the subterfuge of the character. Lately, I've run into some shady author's and their "friends." Friends who are in fact themselves! This is not a denouement of The Berg! It's just the fact that some authors should come with a warning sign! I actually enjoyed the ingenuity of the ...more
Michelle
Dec 05, 2019 rated it liked it
As book reviewers I think we have all experienced the dreaded one star reviews we have to write from time to time. Hey, it happens. Books are subjective. Some of my favorites have one star reviews and books that I have hated have other reviewers singing it's praises.

So this short little 17 page story is about one bloggers one star review and how this review pushed an author over the edge. Definitely some food for thought. 3 stars!
marilyn
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I feel so manipulated and that's what it's all about. 😁
Paula
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
An okay but depressing little read. I kinda had a feeling where it was going.
Zoeytron
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fiendishly clever!  Never underestimate the workings of the creative mind.
Carol
THE DEDICATION from The Behrg - "To book reviewers everywhere. You are my heroes. (Regardless of how many stars you give)."

ONE STAR is a shocking and thought provoking read....in more ways than ONE.

Just a few words....

Li is a book reviewer/blogger who posted a ONE STAR book review that catastrophically impacted an author's life causing Li herself a great deal of stress and attention over the tragedy. You won't believe how it affected her......

Only 17 pages....and a freebie....that had me sha

Bark  |  Ladies Of Horror Fiction
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fiction
I am not going to lie, I was scared to death to start this short story. The title is "One Star" and if you've been around the block as many times as I have, you already know how treacherous the world of the one star review can be for the reviewer. If the author is sensitive, having a bad day or simply cannot take any criticism about their book baby they and/or their fans could drop a world of hurt on you for ruining their career (when in reality their tantrum is likely the thing that'll do it). ...more
Jayme
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excerpt: “This will be the last blog entry here at Modern Maiden of Horror.
Li pauses from typing, and considers how best to approach her post. Opening paragraphs can turn a reader off as quickly as a 3 AM informercial.”

Another FUN short story, about a “One Star” review, this time from the blogger’s perspective!

I cannot say anymore...it’s only 17 pages!🤭

You will have to read it for yourself...
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This was a good one! At only 17 pages, I can’t say much that won’t be a spoiler, but I’ll say that I love the homage paid to book bloggers here, and that I loved the way the story turned out. I wasn’t sure what to expect going in, but it wasn’t this, and I was pleasantly surprised! Definitely pick this one up for a quick, engaging, five minute read!
Ceecee
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very thought provoking

The narrator of the story Li, makes it clear that when you write a review you aren’t attacking the author but explaining why the book didn’t work for you. In my case, sometimes it’s mood but most likely because I didn’t care for the way it was written. ‘Reading is a subjective experience...’. The story is very clever, it’s short and to the point. I like what the author has to say at the end of the book. It won’t stop me being honest as someone will agree with me and as The
The Cats’ Mother
This was a great way to kick off 2020 for a committed reviewer - a free short story about the perils of writing negative book reviews! The author (who I had not heard of previously) makes it very clear that he is NOT trying to frighten people away from giving their honest opinions - but it is a good reminder to think about what you post and temper criticism with kindness. It’s only 17 pages long, but packs a clever punch.

Li sits at her laptop, composing her latest blog post in the aftermath of t
Lisa *OwlBeSatReading*
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, The Behrgs’ book, what can I say?

Firstly, I had to read it twice because it was one of those books. It was also very short, only 17 pages. But, OH MY DAYS, what a clever bloke you are Mr Behrg!

I’m not going to give anything away on the synopsis, you can get the lowdown here on Goodreads.

What I will say though is this;

If you’re a book blogger, reviewer, dark horror fan who doesn’t get too triggered by stuff, ‘ave a gander at this one.

To say this is a unique story is an UNDERSTATEMENT. I’ve
Char
A very short tale featuring circumstances that any long-time reviewers would recognize.

It didn't go where I expected and I love to be surprised!

I need to read more of this author's work.

Recommended!
NILTON TEIXEIRA
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very clever

Great writing!
And what a great way to show a passion for books.
The explanation for “experiencing” a reading is absolutely terrific.
I enjoyed the author’s note as well.
But I wanted more! This is way too short!
Shaina
This story ... wow. If you are a blogger, a dark horror fan or a writer, this will get you right where you live. This is a very creative way to do it also.
Col
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b, 2020
Synopsis/blurb.....

Every action has a consequence. But when Li posts a one-star review of a novel on her book blog, the results are far more frightening than she could ever have imagined. Not every story was meant to have a happy ending.

ONE STAR is a previously unpublished horror short story, being released in The Behrg's upcoming short story collection--"The Passengers You Cannot See." It is the author's love letter to book bloggers and reviewers, and thus is being offered as a free download to
Meenaz Lodhi
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Never let someone else silence your voice. Until you discover at least, that you must silence your own.”
This has been a completely unexpected story! Short but concise. Just when I got to terms with what Li was writing and experiencing, a huge turn and macabre twist appears! Lol. I loved it! To what lengths will an author go, how reviews affect the authors and emotional upheavals is the storyline. I’m looking forward to reading the soon to release anthology by The Behrg!
Michael Hicks
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
My review of ONE STAR can be found at High Fever Books.

One Shot, a 17-page short story and the latest release from The Behrg, tells the brief story of a book blogger signing off for the final time. A short time prior, her critical one-star review of Jaxon Creed’s newest work tipped the author over the edge and he committed suicide live on Facebook. What follows is her response to her readers, her philosophies on reviewing, and her role in the author’s public demise.

As both an author and a review
Michael
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All reviewers
Quite thought-provoking; but then I've always been a deep-thinker anyway. It does make you think about the effects a negative review might have on an author. After all; they're people who have poured their heart and soul into their work.

I found this to be rather clever for such a short read, and it's another one off my huge TBR mountain.

Thanks for reading.
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

One Star is only 17 pages in length and it is a story that anyone who has ever written a review needs to read. It will only take you around ten-to-fifteen minutes and it is well worth it. I have read the story three times now and each time I am left in awe at how clever it is.

Li is the blogger at Modern Maiden of Horror and after a recent tragedy, she is writing her last blog post.
Steve Stred
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Opening paragraphs can turn a reader off as quickly as a 3 am infomercial.”

How do you even write a review on a short story (about 20 pages) that is both an ode to reviewers but focuses on the absolutely darkest side of reviewing?

The Behrg messaged me and asked if I was at all checking out his short story and I said absolutely. I didn’t expect what was inside. He gave me the basic premise – what happens when a one-star review from a book blogger/reviewer causes the author so much grief that they
The Behrg
Jul 26, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I can now officially announce my newest release, available on all ebook platforms for FREE. This is a horror story dedicated to book bloggers and book reviewers. Thank you for all you do!

I hope you enjoy the dark side of reviewing. :)
Jessica
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
All my reviews (including one star reviews) can be found at http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~~
This review will appear on my site on August 4, 2019.
~~~~~
This short story packs quite the punch in its short 17 pages! It is also currently free on Amazon and serves as a thank you from the author The Behrg to book bloggers and book reviewers. I know my blog is not a huge one, but my reviews get seen and what happens if you don’t like a book? What if the author sees your lower starred review even thou
Sterlingcindysu
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very clever!

When I think of all the reviews I do, on books and restaurants and hotels, I have to admit that even when I'm angry I realize I'm criticizing someone's livelihood. Not too long ago a barbeque joint really skimped on a take-out order. A side was forgotten, there was only two bits of meat, I waited forever and insult to injury, I had tipped pretty well at the register just to "insure" my order was taken care of. Two weeks later the place was out of business. Obviously it wasn't my rev
Bill
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great one from The Behrg. I have enjoyed his work in the past and if this story is any indication of the quality of his upcoming short story collection "The Passengers You Cannot See" then I am chomping at the bit to get to it.

Quick and entertaining with a very nice turn or two thrown in for good measure. This is how shorts should be done.

4.5 Stars rounded up to 5 because this story has stuck with me ever since I read it.

*I received a free copy of this work from the author in exchan
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m going to read it a few more times 😂
« previous 1 3 next »

• 2019 on Goodreads
  • Ritual
  • Midnight in the Graveyard
  • She Has a Broken Thing Where Her Heart Should Be
  • Ghost Stories (Scare Street Horror Short Stories, #1)
  • The Man in the Box
  • The Reddening
  • The Roo
  • True Ghost Stories: True Ghost Stories Of Terrifying Paranormal Activity, Haunted Houses And Spooky Places From Around The World - True Ghost Stories Books ... True Ghost Stories Series, Ghost Stories)
  • Slash
  • Bones
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • Stirring the Sheets
  • Hotel Z
My writing career began in the third grade when tasked with an assignment to write about rain. I opted to tell the story of a raindrop who decided life wasn't worth living and leapt to his death only to discover that really he was being reborn. (You know that whole life-cycle thing).

Yeah, I was a little twisted even back then. Thankfully my teacher encouraged my writing rather than send me for a