Start by marking “Woke Up Dead” as Want to Read:
Woke Up Dead

Woke Up Dead

Hope Allison McKinley died. Or, at least everyone thought she did. When she suddenly wakes up in the middle of her own funeral - to the shock of all her loved ones - that is just the beginning of her problems.

Reawakened, Hope now sees what everyone really thought of her. The casket is cheap, the flowers suck, and she’s wearing an outfit she wouldn’t be caught dead in! It
Published August 27th 2019 by eLegal Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Woke Up Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Woke Up Dead

Start your review of Woke Up Dead
Katelyn Dickinson
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
*3.5/5*

**I received a digital ARC of this book for free from the author in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.**

This was such a fun read! The concept is intrigued me. It was well written and well thought out.
This story had so many elements to it. Mostly, it was humorous, but it also had some serious topics it touched on. I thought the writing was good. I could really tell the author felt connected to her character. Hope was so funny. I really enjoyed Hope as a character. The
Sieara DeLone
I liked the realistic edge the character had- she was a natural and had a sassy attitude, she was human. I like the lessons of the book.

I disliked some inconsistencies of the story. In the beginning the story describes Hope as witnessing what occurs with her mom, but later on the story is framed as if she didn’t know. I have a similar issue with the thing about the Facebook post. Hope’s workplace should have been described in detail the minute she goes back to work. Some details of the story li
Brandann Hill-Mann
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A delightful and quick read!

I love the informal voice, like having the whole tale spun to me by a girlfriend. A light take on a tough topic, with just the right number of moments that made me actually LOL. I truly adore HAM, and her raw journey through PTSD.

There were a few details I wanted to see more fleshed out, like the fraud and maybe more therapy, but really the only question I leave with is DID SHE GET HER CURLS BACK?
Carol H. Lisowski
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Take Me Away - Literally

A quick read. So much more insightful than I at first thought as the story unfolded. What started as a tragic misstep, turned out to deal with a human's ability to cope and deal with emotions, seek help from others and make the necessary decisions to move forward.
Kimberly Hicks
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: RABT Book Tours and PR
I hosted this book a few weeks ago on The Sexy Nerd ‘Revue’ for RABT Book Tours. It sounded so interesting, I asked them if I could read an advanced copy, and they granted me that wish. Below is my review of the novella.

Death is just as much of a living and breathing action as life. It’s something that we all must do. To live forever would be for the hearts and memories of those that remain on earth, but to physically last forever, is not possible to do. And speaking of impossibilities, how abou
Monica
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this quick read. I was inspired, motivated, and entertained.
Raven
Sep 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. (Would have been four if a few bits had been more developed)

Woke Up Dead is a short, easy to read, well-written, and professionally edited and presented novella. There are recorded cases of people waking up in morgues or even at their own funerals so the premise of the story is frighteningly possible. On hearing of such an incident, one's response might be to simply feel happy or relieved that the person was reprieved in the nick of time, but Ms Gilkes takes that one step further to e
Sandra Lopez
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
“The day I woke up dead was the day my life changed forever.” (3)

“I’ll sleep when I’m dead” was a mantra she overused and now it would seem ironically fitting.

How odd, right? I mean, how does someone wake up dead? I guess it all started when she woke up in bed to blinding lights and an earthquake. I didn’t really understand this particular transition or what exactly was going on here. Turns out she was at her own funeral. Then off to the ER she went.

Story was merely describing the “process” of
Toni
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hope McKinley is having a bad day..which started about a week prior. She was ill and vaguely remembers passing out in the kitchen. The next she;s waking up in an enclosed place. When she sneezes and shifts she hears screams and pounding feet. When she;s able to push above herself she sits up and realizes she;s in a casket. In a green dress with lovely flowers which she hates and she doesn;t see anything with her favorite football team. Now begins the long arduous task of proving to everyone that ...more
greta ⛈️
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
first of all i wanna say thank you to the author for sending me her book in exchange for a honest review!

i liked the topic of this book cuz i've never read anything about waking up at ur own funeral. the main protagonist Hope McKinley actually wakes up minutes before being buried and we follow the afterward actions on how she's coping with it all, how she's trying to get back to her normal life. this is a short novella which made me think of what i would do if it was me in that wooden casket. p
Carol
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Fast read. Funny. It did make one think that it would be a good idea for everyone to write down/inform family about their wishes when they die. Do you want Cremation? Burial? Who inherits what?
Paige Reyes
Oct 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This novella had a very interesting plot. There were some parts of the book that made me feel a lot of things, like how terrible HAM’s family was, just as people. But then there were other parts where while I felt like it was interesting I wasn’t super engaged. The book overall felt a bit surface-y to me, like plot point after plot point being executed and not a lot of internal growth or external relationship building. I would have liked some more depth so I could connect more with the story.

I r
Pat Eroh
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing first book for me by this author. Certainly not my last book, I hope. This is beautifully written with humor and serious well placed. The main protagonist, Hope was meticulously developed and I became quite attached to her. I cannot wait for more by this author.

The cover is beautiful as well as the book itself!

Andi
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nadia’s first novella is clever and well-thought out. While parts of it contain some humor and are a bit tongue-in-cheek, there are some serious moments as well. She addresses the many issues I imagine someone would have if they went through an experience similar to her protagonist, Hope Allison McKinley. The story ended before I was ready to say goodbye to Hope; I want to know what happens next! I’m hoping there will be a sequel in the works.
Angelina Kerner
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So, I read this book after my surgery... and umm I was really happy that I was alive. The main character is talkative and curses a lot and tries to live again after waking up in a coffin. This book really makes you think about one of your worst nightmares... I mean that's why I want to be cremated... maybe.

For 18+ because it may give you nightmares. Colorful language.
Tina Layner
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I laughed all the way through it. Never in my dreams would I have read a book like this, but I am glad I did. When Hope McKinley woke up, she did not know what was going on . Everyone thought she was dead. This problem changed her life as she knew it.

Truly Trendy PR
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woke Up Dead by Nadia Gilkes is a fast-paced read that is full of laughs and drama. The characters are well-written and  humorous. I really enjoyed reading Woke Up Dead and only wished it was longer. *I received a complimentary copy for RABT Book Tours and the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.*
Heather W
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and found it to be an interesting and fun book. There is a lot of anger, humour, and serious issues handled by Hope. I can only say it's a good thing they did not try embalming her.

I read and reviewed a copy of this book with no obligation.
Lillian Bobbitt
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Funny and humor!

Love this book. Not too many unnecessary words. I love the way the author got into the humor and then into the serious, true side of the story. Looking forward to reading your next book, I am hoping for that. God Bless!
Ayana
is currently reading it
Robin
Sep 03, 2019

• Mask (Four Regions #1)
  • Trans Wizard Harriet Porber and the Bad Boy Parasaurolophus: An Adult Romance Novel
  • The Rules (Summer Nights, #2)
  • Bay of Sirens
  • The Winner's Circle
  • The Cure for Stupidity: Using Brain Science to Explain Irrational Behavior at Work
  • Asylum Road (Jake Caldwell #4)
  • Wicked Wonderland Retreat, Part 1
  • Deathless Divide (Dread Nation, #2)
  • Mapping the Interior
  • Booked Solid: A Billionaire Boss Erotica
  • Royal Hearts: An Alpha Bodyguard and Curvy Princess Romance
  • The Roo
  • The Double Date Disaster (Do-Over Date #2)
  • A Blind Date for Christmas
  • Where the Honeybells Grow
  • Shaking the Sleigh (Singletree #3)
I hate the idea of being kept in a box. I have always had a creative flair and delight in quilting, writing, and occasionally dusting off my flute. Over the past decade, I've served my clients and community as a family law attorney. I genuinely love serving, but being devoted to others can often leave one feeling drained and unfulfilled.
In 2019, a mind shift happened. I decided to unchain myself f