Start by marking “Such a Fun Age” as Want to Read:
Such a Fun Age

Such a Fun Age

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  272,320 ratings  ·  24,403 reviews
When Emira is apprehended at a supermarket for 'kidnapping' the white child she's actually babysitting, it sets off an explosive chain of events. Her employer Alix, a feminist blogger with a 'personal brand' and the best of intentions, resolves to make things right.

But Emira herself is aimless, broke and wary of Alix's desire to help. When she meets someone from Alix's pas
Published January 7th 2020 by Bloomsbury Publishing (first published December 31st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Such a Fun Age, please sign up.
Stephanie I think that's the point---we see Alix's disregard of Briar from he very beginning. She gave no thought about how inappropriate it was to have her lea…moreI think that's the point---we see Alix's disregard of Briar from he very beginning. She gave no thought about how inappropriate it was to have her leave the house. Notice that Catherine stayed home.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Damien Roberts The larger issue is that Alix then spends the rest of her life trying to prove she's not racist by doing insanely racist things. I am not sure that th…moreThe larger issue is that Alix then spends the rest of her life trying to prove she's not racist by doing insanely racist things. I am not sure that the author thinks Alix was terrible for doing what she did when she was 17, but that that it was a catalyst for her future behavior.(less)

·  272,320 ratings  ·  24,403 reviews

Start your review of Such a Fun Age
chai ♡
find this review & others on my blog

Such a Fun Age is a novel that disheartened me even if it didn’t surprise me. Something akin to relief gusted through my room like a warm front when I finished it: not because it was an unpleasant read—though it does depict many unpleasant moments—but because the story so often wound up my feelings to such a high point of second-hand embarrassment that it felt like a huge weight slid down my shoulders when it was all over.

Narratives about race and priv
Emily May
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, contemporary, arc
Wow. The writing in this book is so light and breezy and easy to read that it can take a while to appreciate the depths the author takes us to in Such a Fun Age. Combine the compelling writing with a cute font on the cover and this book is seriously deceiving.

You know, this book reminded me of some of the criticisms others and myself had about The Help. I feel like I have to be careful here because even now, ten years later, there are people who love that book so much that they kiss it before t
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Okay! I don’t know what I have to feel about this book. Did I like it? Mostly I did. But as soon as I finish, I felt like something missing. Maybe I didn’t like how the things ended for the characters and I wished alternate solutions for their stories.

I enjoyed the writing and intercepted lives of two female protagonists, the development and progression, objective and genuine approach of racism, diversity, hypocritical attitudes of the people. At the end of the story I lost my love for Ali
Cindy
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this is a simplistic story, it’s still a very accurate portrayal of performative activism and woke culture. I recognized so many of the central characters within people who exist in real life. I found myself nodding along to the book’s portrayals of liberal white allyship and the way people often believe their own self-serving narratives. I think because of the simplistic nature of the storyline though, the book was a little predictable and didn’t totally blow me away with new revelations, ...more
Asia J
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining mostly towards the end. For a debut novel it wasn’t terrible, but I most definitely felt like I was reading a book written about black struggles by a white woman. The dialogue was also fucking atrocious.
Kat
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the plot of this was super gripping (i read it in like 12 hours???) and i enjoyed the strong message that was woven throughout. interested to see how this author grows as she publishes more books.
jessica
i absolutely adore reese witherspoon and enjoy her book club choices, but this one isnt quite the hit i was expecting it to be, unfortunately.

i appreciate the dialogue this story opens about heavy topics such as racial inequality and ‘white saviour’ complexes. racism is a topic that tends to be discussed in fiction, but focuses more on the aggressive and antagonistic part of it. this is the first novel ive read where white people treat POC fairly, but only because they think it makes them a goo
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
2.5 stars. An easy read that lacked the emotional connection and powerful punch that I had expected.

This book is all the buzz lately. I couldn’t wait to dig in and see what all the hype was about. I’m not sure if the overhyping is what made me feel like I was missing something or this simply wasn’t a powerful book for me. Yes, there are some very heavy topics covered within these pages, but the way they are presented didn’t impact or resonate with me.

From start to finish the narrative made me
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***WINNER GOODREADS CHOICE AWARD FOR BEST DEBUT NOVEL 2020***

This is one of those books that’s hard to review because I think if read quickly it would come across as just a good story. Reading this more slowly it’s revealed that there is much more to this book than just entertainment. It highlights lots of racial issues, from two different points of view. Alix is a successful, married white woman and Emira an “undecided” African-American woman. Alix discovered her talents quite quickly and has
JanB
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

There are books I read for the pure pleasure of the storytelling and there are books I read to make me think. Occasionally a book comes along that does both, without it being an “issue book”. This is one of those books.

One of the best ways to make a point is through witty satire, through stereotypical characters who are ridiculous, yet compulsively readable. Taking the biggest hit in this book are the progressive “woke” individuals who are so fearful of appearing racist, so convinced
Nikki Roberson
I pre-ordered this book because of the premise. The complexity of what happens at the cross-section of racial stereotypes, especially with differing points of view, seemed compelling.

I spent 80% of this book FURIOUS. For context, I’m a black woman, and that influenced how I read this book.

Almost all of the characters in this book were infuriating. The character of Emira, the 25-year old college graduate with no real future, comes across as undeveloped. She’s written with three different persona
Emma Giordano
Nov 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was so fucking good.
Elyse  Walters
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emira Tucker, an African American woman, was going to turn 26 years old next week....
....soon to get booted off her parents’ health insurance. She’s known for a while that her babysitting job - ( for Alix and Peter Chamberlain- white upper class couple with two small daughters), wasn’t exactly sustainable- but she needed to figure out things on her own.

Emira had a college degree...but she didn’t know what she wanted to do next.
In the meantime - Emira’s part time babysitting job covered - ‘ ‘ba
Vanessa
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m completely in the minority here, this book is popular and there is a reason for it, it’s readable (mostly) engaging and fun with a fresh and contemporary feel while also tackling some pretty serious issues of race and white privilege, parts of this story are great for furthering discussion about inequality and racism although I’m afraid it also perpetuates stereotypes rather than evolving them. (Perfect for book club discussion!) But what I can’t get past is the poor execution of the writing ...more
Corina
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It’s hard to write a review about a book that left me so undecided. I think the biggest issue I had with this novel was trying to connect with any of the characters. Besides the relationship between Emira, and her charge, which was genuine and heartwarming, the story itself failed to draw me in deeply enough to become passionate about it.

The writing was acceptable for a debut novel, but I felt the execution was choppy at times. The way the plot was structured and told, especially the backstory,
karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards finalist for best fiction AND best debut novel 2020! what will happen?

THIS HAPPENED:

CONGRATULATIONS, WINNER! goodreads choice awards best DEBUT NOVEL 2020!

someday i will even get around to reviewing it. i hope.

this book is smart and excellent in like twelve different ways. believe all hype.

review to come.
Berit☀️✨
Such a fab book! Kiley Reid’s debut was extremely readable, tremendously thought-provoking, and very hard to review. On the surface this was an engaging story about Emira, A 25-year-old African-American woman finding herself and her voice. But there really was so much more to it, it really was a story about privilege, race, and economic status. The story starts with Emira being accused of kidnapping when she is at the grocery store late at night with A little white girl. The truth of it was she ...more
Deanna

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!!!

An unforgettable story!!

Twenty-five-year old, Emira Tucker is out with friends when her boss calls to ask if she would be able to babysit for a couple of hours. Emira regularly babysits for Mrs. Chamberlain (Alix) but it is already after ten on a Saturday night. However, there has been an incident at the Chamberlain home and Mrs. Chamberlain thinks it would be better if two-year-old, Briar is out of the house whi
Susanne  Strong
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unread-shelf
4 Stars

It is with such a heavy heart that I write this review for “Such a Fun Age” a book I read a week and a half ago, when in the few short days since having read this, so much has transpired in our nation.

This is a novel about class, privilege, society and racism from POV’s of two very different women: a successful, upper middle class caucasian woman and a young, struggling african american woman, who come from very different worlds. Alix is a wife, a mother, a blogger and an instagram infl
Gabby
I feel like this book started off pretty strong, but then it just sort of lost its way.. I really enjoyed the first few chapters of this book; I like what it was trying to say about race and the way people of color get treated differently and unfairly in certain situations, and I thought it was a really great start and shedding some light on important issues. But then I feel like as soon as Kelley’s character is introduced into this book, it really lost its momentum.

The dialogue got so cringe.
Melissa ~ Bantering Books
Wow. Kiley Reid can write. No doubt about it.

I've been waffling back and forth about whether to go with a four- or five-star rating. I've settled on four stars.

I think. At least for now.

Such a Fun Age is an intelligent, deftly written debut . . . with a bite. Don't let the pretty cover fool you. The story behind the bright, cheery pink and blue hues is intense.

Reid tackles the tough issues of class, privilege, racism, and "white saviors" in this novel -- and does not shy away from any of it. Th
myo (myonna reads)
This book was so different from what i thought it would be. Everything that it says in the synopsis happened in the first chapter so i was really worried about what the rest of the book was about. I was pleasantly surprised as i read on. This book is actually about performative activism and how white people tend to use black people to get further in their lives.

You have the main character’s boss who has a very weird obsession with the main character where she wonders what Emira- the main charac
Larry H
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thought-provoking novel I didn’t want to put down.

Emira is nearly 26, that crucial age when she’ll be dropped from her parents’ health insurance. While most of her friends have started making their own paths career-wise and life-wise, she works as a babysitter for the wealthy (and white) Chamberlain family. She knows she needs a better, more stable job but she really enjoys taking care of their young daughter, Briar.

Late one night Emira gets a call from Mrs. Chamberlain. They had an i
Phrynne
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-2020
A good story with a lot of interesting social commentary but sadly I did not fall in love with it as many other reviewers have.

There are some great characters especially Briar and Emira and I loved the relationship between them. Alix was a horrible person, Kelley too, but this was good writing on the author's part. We are obviously not supposed to care for them. The story is basically about race and class and there is one major scene in a supermarket where Emira is accused of taking a child whic
Debbie
Put it in the pot and stir!

A rich white employer, a poor black employee. Stick them in a pot and stir. This isn’t a black and white story, though, or a soap opera. Oh such juicy, complex relationships.

Those 4 stars I was doling out? A thing of the past. I’m now firmly planted in 5-star land because I can’t stop obsessing over this book. I think it’s because the way the two main characters act around each other is so vivid. There’s usually an undercurrent, which seems like a character in itself,
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Nov 26, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, adult
every time i see this title, i think to myself what age is "such fun"... like, there is no age that is fun. "

toddlers - sucks because you can't do anything. you're a helpless blob of fat

teenagers - sucks because you're a hormonal mess

young adults - sucks because you're a hormonal mess who has to deal with college and living on your own

new adults - sucks because you are trying to survive being an adult (and 9 times out of 10, you're lonely)

middle aged - sucks because you're constantly wondering w
Kristen Cleghorn
Dec 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i hate to be the one to swoop in here and leave one star buuuuuuut

the main themes of this book are the intersection of race and class/income but the author for whatever reason seems dead set against any character in the novel acting across these lines in a way that is genuine or that doesn’t have an ulterior motive. there is no normal main character in this book.

in addition to the main character emira’s constant griping about everyone around her being more successful/wealthy than her (does the
Michelle
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's taken a few days for me to figure out how I want to review this. This is one of those books where there is so much going on, but the author made it so digestible that it's easy to miss things. It was a very enjoyable read and a timely one. I admittedly probably read it too fast, but my only real disappointment (very small 'd' disappointment) came with part of the ending.

Kiley Reid is definitely an author to watch. I have no doubt this will be a big book next year as well as a popular choice

• Africaville
  • The Seep
  • Grand Union: Stories
  • The Majesties
  • The Dilemma
  • Dear Sweet Pea (Dumplin', #2.5)
  • Oligarchy
  • How Quickly She Disappears
  • Motherhood So White: A Memoir of Race, Gender, and Parenting in America
  • So Lucky
  • Nothing More Dangerous
Kiley Reid (born 1984) is an American novelist. She is a recent graduate of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop where she was the recipient of the Truman Capote Fellowship. She lives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Such A Fun Age is her first novel.

Articles featuring this book

“I don't need you to be mad that it happened. I need you to be mad that it just like... happens.” 59 likes
“I think it best we went our separate ways, and that those paths never crossed again.” 46 likes