Start by marking “American Anthem” as Want to Read:
American Anthem

American Anthem (American Anthem)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  132 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews

BJ Hoff offers another thrilling historical saga that will capture the hearts of readers everywhere.

At the entrance to the city, an Irish governess climbs into a carriage and sets out to confront the man who destroyed her sister’s life—a blind musician who hears music no one else can hear ...

On a congested city street, a lonely Scot physician with a devastating secre

Published March 1st 2009 by Harvest House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about American Anthem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Anthem

Ashley Daviau
Jul 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Well this was an absolute fucking chore to read. It's very rare that a book will bore me to tears. Very very rare. So much useless blathering that I found myself finding excuses not to pick it up. Thankfully over the years I've acquired the skill of speed reading, which I rarely use because I rarely come across a book this boring. But it definitely came in useful with this book because this could just not end fast enough.
Nadine Keels
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely MAGNIFICENT.

This is precisely what literature is supposed to do: live and breathe. The journey from the prologue of Book One to the epilogue of Book Three led not only to the manifestation of a wondrous sound but that of a vision as well. The vision of a blind genius, no less! Oh, I had a qualm or two on stylistic and technical notes (like, why did such an abundance of words, especially when it came to the characters' dialogue, have to be emphasized with italics? and shouldn't there h
Lydia
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
American Anthem is a story that brings together a group of characters historical and fictional to create one cohesive whole about redemption and second chances. Most prominently featured are an Irish family, and a young girl who emmigrates to America to meet her brother-in-law. B.J. Hoffs has a singularly unique ability to describe music that makes the soul leap and bound and your spirt soar. If you are aquainted with the movie August Rush you will have some idea of what B.J. Hoffs can do in wri ...more
Kim
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great historical fiction about 3 heartwarming families where love and faith are enough to conquer their obstacles. Characters are easy to connect with and likable. Three books in 1 volume.
Aline Florizone
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was an inspirational book which had my interest to the end. It was easy to read. I was also in the mood for such a book.
Joyce
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down!
Rebecca Young
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rebecca by: Heather Rodriguez
This book is truly amazing -- The very best I've read in a long time. It's really three novels in one, and I wished it would have been even more. The novel is full of appearances by individuals who played a part in our country's history, especially in faith-related aspects. Although the book is fairly long (549 pages), the chapters are small and headlined by wonderful quotes, including some poetry by the author herself. The story itself begins in New York Harbor in 1846, and is an insightful loo ...more
Alexandra
Lovely book. I give it a wholehearted recommendation. It's well-written, with a beautiful conceit about a blind composer who hears music from above. However, one point did irritate me. One character is scared of having children after witnessing someone dying in childbirth- but then she magically, in about five seconds, decides that she's willing to have a bunch, risking that over and over (and it was a genuinely huge risk back then), just because her husband wants them- even though it seems like ...more
Gloria Sherwood
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

I can't say enough good things about this book. This book/story touched my heart In so many ways. I enjoyed getting to know the characters as if they were family. The Lord was honored throughout this book. Thank you for not having any sexual content. This author is so talented, I recommend her and this book. If you love our country, it's history and our Lord you will be blessed reading this book.
Christin
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a wonderful book! My first of B.J. Hoff's writing, I can't wait to read more of her. Rather than concentrate on only one storyline per book, she seamlessly wove three families' stories together--it was hard to put it down! I'm glad I got this edition, and not the individual books because it would've been hard to wait for the next book. Highly recommended!
  • The Cautious Maiden (The Everstone Chronicles, #4)
  • Two Destinies (Secrets of the Cross Trilogy #3)
  • Catching Katie
  • The Thorn Bearer (Penned in Time #1)
  • The Last Storyteller
  • The Sound of Silver (Steadfast Love #2)
  • Virginia Brides
  • The Battle for Vast Dominion (Trophy Chase Trilogy, #3)
  • The Voice
  • The South Beach Diet Taste of Summer Cookbook
  • The Brides of Webster County (Brides of Webster County, #1-4)
  • Gideon's Torch
  • From Across the Ancient Waters (The Green Hills of Snowdonia, #1)
  • Sarah My Beloved (Little Hickman Creek #2)
  • Sadie's Secret (The Secret Lives of Will Tucker, #3)
  • Catch of a Lifetime
  • The Affectionate Adversary (Miss Pickworth Series #1)
  • The Lost Journal of Indiana Jones
BJ Hoff’s bestselling historical novels continue to cross the boundaries of religion, language, and culture to capture a worldwide reading audience.

Her books include such popular series as The Riverhaven Years, The Mountain Song Legacy, Song of Erin, American Anthem, and An Emerald Ballad. Hoff’s stories, although set in the past, are always relevant to the present.

Whether her characters move ab
More about B.J. Hoff...

American Anthem (3 books)
  • Prelude (American Anthem #1)
  • Cadence (American Anthem #2)
  • Jubilee (American Anthem #3)