Start by marking “A Thousand Mothers” as Want to Read:
A Thousand Mothers

A Thousand Mothers

In December 1942, the Nazis deport Perl Kaczlowicz from the Plonsk ghetto in Poland and send her to Ravensbruck, the infamous female concentration camp. She says good-bye to her husband that fateful morning not knowing that she is expecting their first child, or that she will never see him again.While imprisoned at the camp, she meets Helene Dvorak and other extraordinary ...more
Paperback, 1st Edition, 378 pages
Published November 2019 by The Writer’s Webb

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Mothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Mothers

Start your review of A Thousand Mothers
Matt Zanella
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible journey through an insanely horrific time period in world history. The author made me feel a personal connection to the charcters as they continued to find ways to cope with terrible situation after terrible situation. There were many sections of the book which brought tears of sadness to my eyes.
Jenny Knipfer
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I found A Thousand Mothers an inspiring and hopeful story despite the depiction of the horrific circumstances of the Nazi death camps. I had to take breaks between readings. The suffering of the characters became real as I read.

The story unfolds in part at the camps through different perspectives, which all revolve around keeping one baby alive. The second half of the book tells the story of the survivors and their lives after. The story is ripe with history and well-researched.

I would have
Amy Shannon
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful

Webb pens an intensely remarkable story in A Thousand Mothers. I was immediately drawn into this story the minute I read the Introduction, backed up by the Prologue. I've read this book in one sitting, but sometimes, I just had to put it down, before I could continue on. The story brings to life the horrors and strengths of survivors and victims in WWII Germany. This story was both powerful, raw, horrifying, and magnificent. The words of the author flow across the page, painting a story
Jean Roberts
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewers Note: I was given a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Plot: A Thousand Mothers is the moving story of a group of women who come together in Ravensbruck, a Nazi Concentration Camp in Germany, to save the life of a newborn child.

Characters: The first half of the book focuses on a large group of women who steal, lie, cheat death, and allow unspeakable things to happen to themselves and others, in order to preserve the life of Flora, an infant born at the camp.
Tiffany
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book. The historical information was on spot for the sad and unfortunate topic. The way the author told it through the characters keeps you reading and rooting for them along the way to survive.
Kathleen Mcloughlin
Billiejo
Jan 04, 2020
Kelly
Jan 04, 2020

• Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • My Mother's Silence
  • Where She Went (If I Stay, #2)
  • Secrets of a Charmed Life
  • Shores Beyond Shores: From Holocaust to Hope, My True Story
  • Regretting You
  • Other People's Houses
  • Mischling
  • The Occupation: Loyalties are pushed to the limits in this powerful wartime saga
  • AGAPE & ARES: A romantic story in verse
  • Angel from Hell (Anna Fehrbach, the Angel #1)
  • One Rough Man (Pike Logan, #1)
  • Wie Gräser im Wind (Tage des Sturms, #1)
  • Millions of Pebbles: Book Three in A Holocaust Story Series
  • The Darkest Canyon: Book Two in A Holocaust Story Series
  • Ripples: A Memoir of Reflection
  • Iron Rose: The Story of Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy and Her Dynasty
  • The Monsters of Music
Brenda Marie Webb is a self-proclaimed history nerd and a member of the Historical Novel Society. She lives in Wisconsin with her husband, 2 crazy rescue dogs, and a lot of cats. A Thousand Mothers is her first historical fiction novel. She is currently working on her second novel, A Memoir of a Holocaust Survivor, and hopes to have it published in 2020.

Brenda recently finished working with other