Start by marking “Sinkhole” as Want to Read:
Sinkhole

Sinkhole

Could you learn to get along with a complete stranger - or even your worst enemy - to save your life?

A sinkhole swallows a girl in Michigan. Fire shoots into the sky in Pennsylvania. Deer attacks leave people hospitalized in West Virginia. And this is all just the beginning of a catastrophic series of global events that will make you question everything you think you know
Published October 8th 2019 by Midnight Grasshopper Books

To ask other readers questions about Sinkhole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sinkhole

Start your review of Sinkhole
Noel Penaflor
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A blistering read, mostly because the chapters are about 3 pages long. Normally this would irk me, but it fits the story to a T.

The characterization is light, but you know as much as you need to in a way that serves the story.

You know where the scares are coming from, but most of them are still effective. Recommended but you have to be in the mood for a quick read.
Lolapaige
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I was fully intending to give this book 4 stars because I truly liked the story. Unfortunately there were a few things that threw me off and resulted in me only giving it three. First off was one of my biggest pet peeves- "plyers". They are pliers. While I get this may not be a big deal to most folks things like that make me crazy and I couldn't stop thinking about it the entire book.
Secondly, at one point some of the characters are pulled over by the police after a pursuit and the cop makes the
RaeDawn Drenning
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scary

These kinds of books always scare me because the horror inside them is real. The things that happen could happen. They way humans behave is real. This is definitely an eye opener.
Glen
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: firstreads, horror
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

Sinkholes, inhabited by tentacles are opening up all over the Midwest. Idiots try to deal with them.

Woke horror. It's not scary if you don't care what happens to anyone.
Nona
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rev. Ravyn
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I admired how April Taylor managed to maintain the book's rapid pace and portray horror through the action scenes themselves. Ironically enough, as I finished this, an outbreak of an illness occurred and it had me thinking that the apocalypse was indeed coming by natural means! ;)
The Horror Report -Angela
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to be one of the few that was given this book by Ms. Taylor herself. What’s most interesting about this horror novel is that it is, in my mind, completely and totally relevant. And anytime a horror story, tv show, film can get into my head and show me that this is something that actually could happen, that’s when it’s the creepiest and scariest to me.

[Side Note: Things like IT, Nightmare on Elm Street, Puppet Master, Leprechaun, etc…those movies and stories don’t really sc
Horror DNA
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tony-jones
If you’re after a very fast-paced, short and punchy adventure horror novel from the same playbook used by the likes of Michael Patrick Hicks, Eddie Generous or even Hunter Shea (when he is in mellowed mood), then Sinkhole: A Horro Story is well worth an evening of your time. It starts fast, picks up even more speed, has an outstanding change of direction halfway through and hurtles towards a controlled but satisfying finish. You will easily read all 200+ pages without drawing much of a breath or ...more
Stefanie
Dec 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was behind on my annual reading challenge, so was looking for a quick read. Sinkhole is certainly a quick read, but it is also nonsensical and poorly written. Pretty much everything that any character says, does, or thinks is completely irrational. A neighbor who hates us and is currently shooting at us - let's go save him from a fire! A beloved twin sister is seriously ill - let's dump her at an overcapacity hospital that is not taking new patients, then try to flee the area for several hours ...more
Danielle
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
***NOTE*** I received a free copy of this e-book from BookSirens for an honest review***
I thought that this book started off really well. A lot of different and scary things started happening in different locations in North America. I liked that Centralia, Pennsylvania was used - the still-burning coal fires underground is a very creepy real-life phenomenon that was the inspiration for Silent Hill. I really enjoyed the tense, frightening, mysterious natural disasters that were happening to the i
Rebecca
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through a Goodreads giveaway. Sinkhole is a fast paced story. I appreciated the Michigan element as I'm a Michigander. There is plenty of action without getting into anything really gory or scary in case that is a concern. There is an element of fantasy regarding the explanation for why the events in the story line unfold. The end felt a little abrupt, but overall this is a highly enjoyable well written action tale that I had a great time reading.
John
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
April A. Taylor does it again with another fast-paced and multi-faceted horror novel. This time it's not ghosts, hauntings or psychopaths but good ole Mother Nature herself that's out to get us. This review will be spoiler free so I'll just say it starts with a sinkhole and escalates rapidly from there. Taylor juggles several storylines and characters with impressive skills and gives us a scary, fun and also downright chilling book.
RACHEL RANSOM
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fast paced, quick read that doesn't waste time with filler.
Maria Preston
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ok the cover really caught my eye , and my curiosity got the better of me ,. So let me discuss the cover , the more I starred at it the more it pulled me in , and encouraged me to read the first page of the excerpt to the book , and as I'm not to keen on horrors as I don't like how they make me feel during the read or after the read, or movie in fact , I tend to stay clear of them .
But I read the first page and it sounded interesting to say the least that's for sure , and I was pulled right back
Leigh
Feb 22, 2020 rated it did not like it
When choosing from a list of books to read for review, the information provided is often scant. It can be a brief synopsis of the story, or a copy of the blurb that will go on the back of the published book, or a couple of quotes from existing reviews – sometimes it’s a combination. On this occasion, it contained these statements:

“"Sinkhole should be part of every horror fan's TBR pile."”
“A sinkhole swallows a girl in Michigan. Fire shoots into the sky in Pennsylvania. Deer attacks leave people
Ziggy Nixon
Mar 26, 2020 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one, one of the worst books I've ever read
Recommended to Ziggy by: Kindle Unlimited offer
Shelves: horror-suspense
Less than 1 star. One of the most pathetic excuses for a book I have ever read. This 'horror pamphlet' is anything but. The first 5 pages are so excrutiatingly bad but somehow the book just gets worse and more clichéd with every pathetic chapter. No one calls the police, no one does anything even remotely believable, nothing.

I truly cannot believe this collection of words that barely suffices to illustrate human excrement was up for any type of award at all. There is no suspense, no surprise, no
Gretchen
Jul 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Sinkhole is an amazingly fun plot-focused novel. The premise is compelling, and the writing is easy to read. Taylor has created an exciting situation around timely themes.

The writing style of this novel reminded me of serial stories like those shared in Victorian periodicals. It aided in elevating the tension, which can be a strength for horror. Each chapter was concise and easy to digest in minutes. They read like vignettes, where I could picture each chapter like it was in a movie.

The situatio
Heather
Jan 23, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s a horror story where the Earth decides she’s tired of our crap and sets about culling us. There’s even a section of text where we hear the thoughts of various animals and trees and such as they cackle over getting rid of those awful humans. This makes the whole thing seem really silly. Without that section it would have been much creepier; this just made it laughable. Also, there’s no reason given for why individual sinkholes and sentient tree roots are the main route of this rout, given th ...more
Scarlett Rue
Catriona
Aug 11, 2020 rated it liked it
No Place to Run, Nowhere to Hide

The best quality of Sinkhole was that I felt caught up by the momentum from the first chapter. The author also knew to play upon the fears common to everyone and did a good job at describing the scenes, thereby ratcheting up the tension. Some plot elements in Sinkhole are causing real life anxiety attacks in concerned people today.

It's impossible to write a horror story that has no elements that have already been used in other books, especially if the story is ins
Whitney
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Rose Aitken
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
well, why ever not?

This is a darned good book getting only four stars instead of the five it truly deserves due to the proliferation of the word ‘said’ in all the wrong places. Still, I’ve read worse in that regard so four it is. Why ever not? Why couldn’t it be just that way? It’s a social commentary yet when you read the book you’d not notice that about it. In short, I liked it. A really good read, short and to the point. Some might say a typical post appocolyptic story and yet it’s not really
Jeff D.
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
Didn't care for it... not particularly scary or thrilling. Book was too short to really grow the characters. Author could have shaved 100 pages off and maybe had a really good short story or added 100 pages and maybe the plot would have filled out better. I didn't see the point of adding the few chapters about the Oregon Devotees or the parts from the point of view of nature. Throw in the less than subtle political statement / social justice/environmental warrior stuff and the whole experience w ...more
Vicky Peplow
Mar 13, 2020 rated it liked it
A little disappointed

I was expecting more from this book and I'm sad to say it didn't live up to my expectations.

Firstly, a man wouldn't go into a police station still having a gun in his waistband and they wouldn't be following the police car to the station.

Secondly, I was quite disappointed with the ending as it would have been good for all the stories to join together. I also felt like the story ended quite abruptly, which was a shame.
Amy
Dec 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to BookSirens for the ARC.
Pub December 14, 2019

I love end of the world books. Loved that it didn't focus on one disaster but multiple. Sinkholes, unexplained weather, crazy attacking animals, and live trees!!! Not what I'm use to, "Earth is dying because global warming. Earth's core is shutting down. The sun will roast us soon." You know what I mean?

Ok here I go. Everything was just thrown, one event after another but it's a fast paced read because you want to know what's going to happen
Vivian
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Creepy and gory with great nonstop action.

Three towns and three families; all dealing with a similar disaster that would catapult to worldwide phenomena. Holes were consuming moles of land. Fires were sprouting up from the ground. Animals and trees were rabid and attacking anyone on sight. What was causing this? Was it the end of times?
Eileen Trainor
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
The trees fight back

This book is fiction; however, it is easy to believe as truth. We are destroying the Earth and its inhabitants. We rape and gouge and pollute and divert water needed by all. We continue to build cities, leaving no room for wild things. What if the Earth fought back? Read on ....
Brianna Johnson
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story and very well written, this book had me on edge the entire time. At first I wasnt sure how good it could be following so many people but April did an amazing job at getting you attached to each character and giving them great stories. And the ending was perfect! I'll have to read more of her work. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
blanche harling
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Got a little lost

Loved the way it began with a mysterious hole in the ground and an innocent child almost being sucked in. But the way it jumped back and forth got me a bit lost. And the part about the cult was a moment when I had to wonder what does this have to do with the main characters. I did enjoy parts of it.
Carrie
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mother Nature loses Her Rag

Brilliant story, the chapters were short and punchy so it was easy to get into the "oh, just one more" trap. Loved the perspective of the natural world once it became clear what was happening. Sad for a few characters but gleeful at one in particular's end.
« previous 1 3 next »
Ladies of Horror ...: Free Consumer Reviewer Copies Available 7 40 Nov 05, 2019 05:22PM

• Hometown
  • Mary
  • Claw
  • Intercepts
  • Something's Alive on the Titanic
  • The City of Light: A Supernatural Apocalypse Novel (Whiteout Book 4)
April A. Taylor is an award-winning, multi-genre author and dark art photographer. Her debut novel, The Haunting of Cabin Green, was featured on:

Popsugar's '13 Most Chilling Horror Books of 2018.'

Inquisitr's 'Best Horror Books of 2018.'

Ranker's '2018's Scariest Horror Books.'

BoredPanda's '7 Books That Scared Me Half to Death.'

BLGM's 'Best Gothic Horror Books.'

Sinkhole: A Horror Story and Mi