Start by marking “Chasing Painted Horses” as Want to Read:
Chasing Painted Horses

Chasing Painted Horses

Chasing Painted Horses has a magical, fable-like quality. It is the story of four unlikely friends who live in Otter Lake, a reserve north of Toronto. Ralph and his sister, Shelley, live with their parents. On the cusp of becoming teenagers, they and their friend William befriend an odd little girl, from a dysfunctional family. Danielle, a timid 10 year old girl, draws an ...more
Published September 14th 2019 by Cormorant Books

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Painted Horses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Painted Horses

Start your review of Chasing Painted Horses
Ron S
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Five stars for the heart breaking character of Danielle Gadaaw, the quiet, troubled young girl that draws horses in this story of family and friendship.
Anne Logan
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m a big fan of Drew Hayden Taylor‘s writing. His words are funny, empathetic, and entertaining all at the same time. Every book of his I read, I’m more hopeful that Canada’s indigenous population, colonizers and immigrants will one day live in harmony, a mutually beneficial arrangement where everyone is legitimately taken care of (getting clean water for every single Canadian would be a great start). But I digress. Chasing Painted Horses is decidedly not political, and because of that, it has ...more
Alanna King
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The visions of this horse painting are like a portal between the past and the future, the rural reserve community and also the urban setting. I wish that I could see the chalk drawings that Danielle makes to feel the magic that she is creating. I like how this sort of magic isn't easily revealed to adults and also it's not strong enough to alter Danielle's reality.

I am a big fan of Drew Hayden Taylor's plays especially for the young adult audience so....I was disappointed in the first 60 pages
Marlies
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. It was handled so lovingly and that came through.
Garth Mailman
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are given a snapshot of reserve life from the perspective of a brother and sister age 12 and 10 and his best friend. The painted horse shows up as graffiti on a wall in Toronto on the adult beat cop’s walk. The tale switches back and forth between childhood on the reserve and life on the streets of Toronto.
Enid Wray
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Apparently also misses posting on this one as well...

Stunning. The writing. The characters. The narrative structure - the fluidity of memory. Heartbreaking story of neglect, and the limitations of the system. Quintessentially Canadian novel. Indigenous yes... but also universal. Open ended ending - not all wrapped up neat and tidy with bows. Perhaps new favourite of all DHT writing.
Karen Lowe
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book. I could be a 3-star rating.

The story told was powerful. The characters were fully realized yet the writing of the story wasn't up to the author's usual high quality. I think, after reading his notes at the end of the novel, thatbrhis is because the characters were so close to him; they had lived in his imaginative world for so long.

The story structure was good. The tale the book told was relevant, meaningful and touching. I believed in each character as a
Jan
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A lovely, lyrical touching book. Offering a realistic narrative yet also presenting both magic and hope is not a usual approach, and the story just soars. I will definitely seek out more of this author’s work.
Peter
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow!
Rebecca Green
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. I love all of the characters in this book. I want it to be longer!
Tomiko Robson
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I was so excited for this book and perhaps it was my high hopes that led to my disappointment. Love Drew Hayden Taylor and have read a lot of his writing, including both the short story and play for Girl Who Loved Her Horses. I especially love the play where the Horse is realized by a dancer and crosses the border between imagination and reality as he emerges through the wall. I was hoping, in novel form, that I would see more of the story but it just felt the same, maybe with more direct ...more
Veronica
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic novel that is both mystical and very real. The start of the novel is more philosophical and poetic but sets the tone. The characters are all so well developed that you can see and feel what they do. The plot is interesting and keeps you reading more. I stayed up late to finish this novel and then couldn't sleep because the story haunted me. A beautiful, sensitive novel about growing up and beginning to understand the complexities of living.
Hayden
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
An incredible storyteller. The writing was simple and effective, and didn’t distract from the plot. If I read it last year it would have been in my top 5.
Teresa Mills-clark
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I wish I could award half stars. This warrants 3.5. It is best suited for the YA audience.

I enjoy reading this author.
Amy
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: canlit, indigenious
A quick, easy read. Good story with decent characters.
Cassandra

• When You Ask Me Where I'm Going
  • Moon of the Crusted Snow
  • Synchro Boy
  • A Mind Spread Out on the Ground
  • Chop Suey Nation: The Legion Cafe and Other Stories from Canada’s Chinese Restaurants
  • The Difference
During the last thirty years of his life, Drew Hayden Taylor has done many things, most of which he is proud of. An Ojibway from the Curve Lake First Nations in Ontario, he has worn many hats in his literary career, from performing stand-up comedy at the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C., to being Artistic Director of Canada's premiere Native theatre company, Native Earth Performing Arts. He has ...more
“The way sound travelled over a snow-covered forest was like nothing else. He missed that. Here in the city, often the sounds he heard only reminded him of the alien world he lived in.” 0 likes
“We all choose our own paths, Harry thought. We can’t choose them for other people.” 0 likes