Start by marking “Hidden Steel (John Steel #2)” as Want to Read:
Hidden Steel (John Steel #2)

Hidden Steel

(John Steel #2)

In the UK, Detective John Steel is investigating the organization who killed his family. When he comes across information that something big is going to happen on the cruise ship Neptune, Steel goes undercover. He has fourteen days to figure out what is going to happen - and to stop it.

In New York, Steel’s NYPD partner, Detective Samantha McCall, is investigating a series

Published December 25th 2019 by Terminal Velocity - A Next Chapter Imprint

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Steel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Steel

Start your review of Hidden Steel (John Steel #2)
Jacqueline  sharp
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
This is quite a difficult review to write. I finished book one in this series, ignored some mistakes, enjoyed the action.

So was looking forward to book 2 as I liked the characters in book 1. So story wise ok same characters from book one John Steel and Sam McCall. However this time John was on a huge cruise liner, Sam was in NYC.

Steel is still following clues as to who killed his family, but as he is investigating, things are happening on the cruise liner, back into James Bond, meets John Mcla
Zoé-lee O'farrell
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020

Now I have a confession! I have read the first book in this series but it has been so long I must admit I couldn’t remember a lot about it! However, you can read this as a stand-alone, of course, there are thong slides to and mentioned that I haven’t remembered and some I did. So it proves my point but also makes me want to re-read it again! (It’s just my old fuddled brain!)

If this was a film, man this would be, in my opinion, a high octane Mission Impossible esq type of film! It was intense! Yo
Amanda
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Ginger Book Geek loves discovering new authors and Stuart Field is certainly a new author to me. Having enjoyed reading 'Hidden Steel' as much as I did, I can guarantee that I will be reading more of his work in the future. I really enjoyed reading 'Hidden Steel' but more about that in a bit.
I liked the character of Detective John Steel. He put me in mind of that famous NYPD police officer John McClane, as played by Bruce Willis. Well Steel certainly seems to have the sort of luck as McClan
Peter Adams
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A complex and totally absorbing plot

Book 1 was an explosive roller coaster with John Steel, ex-British Special Forces and now detective, tracks the killers of his family to New York where he works with Samantha McCall, Detective with the NYPD.
Book 2 in contrast is a slow burning fuse; a complex and totally absorbing plot.
John Steel disappears and Sam McCall is not happy about it. He then announces, out of the blue, he is on the maiden voyage of a luxury cruise ship leaving England and, in a ro
Honestmamreader
How can I describe John Steel. He is the epitome of a man of mystery and a thrill seeking secret agent. Think James Bond, Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible, Bruce Willis in Die Hard. These men have all got the same thing in common, they run around fighting evil and saving the world. Never getting hurt and always bedding the ladies. When I read up about the author Stuart Field, John Steel made perfect sense. Field has a passion for all these action films and grew up on James Bond. And, he's put al ...more
Donna Maguire

I was really looking forward to reading this book and it certainly did not disappoint!

It is a well written story with some great characters – I really enjoyed the interaction between McCall and Steel and I think they worked really well with the story too.

The plot was well developed and there was plenty of action! The setting for the book was great, the author had great attention to detail for me and I thought that the descriptions used were great too.

This
Hobart
Feb 20, 2020 added it
Shelves: 2020-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---
It sounds like the first volume of this series has John Steel working closely with a group of detectives from the NYPD, but the sequel has them (ultimately) pursuing the same criminal group from very independent directions—Steel is in Britain and then on a trans-Atlantic cruise ship following leads he uncovered while investigating his family's death.

Meanwhile, Det. McCall and those she works within Homicide are investigating a serious of s
Jessica Belmont
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quick paced, action packed thrill ride, Hidden Steel is book two in the series, but I read this as a standalone and had no issues. The only “issue” is adding yet another book to my TBR, because now I want to read book one!

The book does tend to change points of view quickly and it was a bit confusing until I got into it. Of course, once I was into the book, ines hooked! It was such an absorbing story that I felt like I couldn’t put it down.

Lots of action and characters that are believable, Stuart
ReadandRated
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars from me

This is book 2 of a series featuring John Steel, the hero, who is on a cruise ship 'Neptune' where he has a matter of days to work out what is going on and beat the bad guys.

I wonder if John Steel is a bit marmite - will you love or loathe his all action hero style? He is a bit of Bond, Bruce Willis (from every Bruce Willis movie), Siegal, Cruise et al pretty much rolled into one 'dude' who has ladies falling at his feet.

Meanwhile back in New York, Sam McCall, is busy clearing d
Margaret A.
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was ok
Poorly written and edited

The story had good intrigue but was so poorly edited that it took too much away from the story. There were words used incorrectly like vale instead of veil, embraced instead embarrassed as well as others. It was hard to follow who was speaking because sentences were correctly punctuated. It is unfortunate because the many obvious errors detracted too much away from the story.
Elaine
Oct 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Good storyline, terrible editing

Hidden Steel could be a good book it if was edited correctly. It seems to have been edited by someone unfamiliar with the English language; wrong words used,wrong tenses used, grammatical errors throughout, paragraphs starting and ending in the wrong places. It is difficult to decide who is speaking due to the incorrect grouping of sentences. All of these errors make for a frustrating read.
Susan Murray
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
No answers

The 2 books were riveting but the spelling was bad. Sack the proofreader!

I read this book to find out the answers to the cliffhangers in the first book but sadly that was not the case.

There seem to be fifteen books on John steel and if that’s how long it takes to solve the riddles then I am not bothering.

I would have read more of these if each one completed the story as they are well written and numerous.
Blinda E. Irby
Dec 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading this book, but it was so full of errors. Someone needs to proofread with a person & not spell check. The writing is highly entertaining, just what you want. The errors detracts from the entertainment. This problem carries on to 3rd book. For example “fir” instead of “fur”. I would have given it 5 stars if not for spelling errors. Thank you
Bernadine
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Too many errors!!

Story line may be decent but too difficult to get past all the errors: “Bowls of the ship” instead of bowels; “inenviable friendly questions” instead of inevitable; etc. These are just 2 of many, within the first few pages of the first chapter. I gave up on reading past this.
MR R DAVIES
Nov 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
Do a word check next time!

Peppered throughout the book are many off putting mistakes
The story itself is not bad.
2 examples: ' where' when you clearly meant ' were'. And vale instead of veil Lots more I won't be reading any more
Richard Davies
Eunice McEwen
Feb 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I like this Series of John Steel, but can't always know what ones I have Read. At one time it was slashed in the courner which one was finished. Is there a way to cancil them off my Kindle #2. ...more
Jacqueline E Raccio
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good story

The characters were well developed. The plots were twisty and t. Needs better editing! Took away from the reading pleasure.
Roger
rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Reacher Experiment: The Complete Series Books 1-9
  • Yeager's Law (An Abel Yeager Novel Book 1)
  • The Guest List
  • Skin in the Game (A Cain/Harper Thriller, #1)
  • Steel Force (Jack Steel #1)
  • Moving Target : A Porter Novel (The Porter Series Book 2)
  • Dead of Night (Harry Bauer Thriller #1)
  • Watch Me Run (Watch Me Series Book 1)
  • The Einstaat Brief (Harry Bauer Thriller #3)
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Overwatch (Reed Montgomery #1)
  • Hunt to Kill (Reed Montgomery #2)
  • Prior Bad Acts (A Cain/Harper Thriller, #2)
  • The Other People
  • Vengeance List (Foley & Rose Book 1)
  • Murder at Enderley Hall (Miss Underhay Mysteries #2)
  • Kiss My Assassin (Charles Bishop #1)
  • The Holdout

John Steel (4 books)
  • Steel and Shadows (John Steel #1)
  • Broken Steel (John Steel #3)
  • Blood And Steel (John Steel #4)

News & Interviews