Start by marking “The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?” as Want to Read:
The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?

The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?

This expanded edition of the book that created a controversy because it challenged the "easy believism" that has characterized some quarters of evangelical Christianity deepens the debate over "lordship salvation" and the biblical understanding of faith and works. MacArthur states clearly that there is no eternal life without surrender to the lordship of Christ.
Published March 1st 1994 by Zondervan (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Jesus

Louis Lapides
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am half way through MacArthur's book. This is the second time I am reading it. I am reading it again because a lot of people, mostly charismatics, have accused MacArthur of false doctrine based on this book.

MacArthur goes through all of Jesus' teaching on salvation and how one makes a commitment to Jesus as Redeemer and Lord for salvation.

I have not found any false teaching unless one believes Jesus is guilty of false doctrine. Perhaps those who accuse MacArthur of teaching a false gospel kn
Jeanie
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very detailed book on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I very much appreciated and have more of a appreciation of the Old Testament. MacArthur shows the Jesus as the Prophet, King and Priest and how it is reflected in the Gospel. You are reminded when Jesus said the way is hard and narrow and the Easy Believeism that is so prevelant has many on the easy way. It is interesting to read others reviews on this and the rejection of Jesus Lordship. You begin to see it is a breaking of our will, a giving ...more
Philip
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh...it was a really repetitive work that really rehashed themes from Bonhoeffer's "Cost of Discipleship" and Luther's "whole life is repentance" concepts. I didn't find myself bothered so much as bored with MacArthur's presentation of the subject matter. There are a couple times where he moves towards Lordship as a condition of salvation. I think MacArthur would be better in these instances to state it as something of a pre-understanding issue.

For example: in order to be saved from sin one ha
Ed
A great book dealing with soul-winning and salvation. MacArthur deals with Lordship salvation and gives a good defense of what he believes. This book is also practical in that he gives many examples of people who say that they are saved, but do not seem to grow in their faith. In America, it seems 90 percent of the people believe that they are on their way to heaven, but most cannot give a Scriptural reason for that belief. The book comes with a good Bibliography, footnotes, Scripture Index (whi ...more
Orlando Acevedo
Lordship salvation is biblical, as MacArthur illuminates; so this book should have been titled something akin to that topic. For a complete view of the "gospel" please read Scot McKnight's The King Jesus Gospel where he writes that salvation is but one part of the full "gospel" story. For a beautiful and engaging read on sanctification (which MacArthur largely deals with) please read NT Wright's After You Believe: Why Christian Character Matters.
Malia
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, nonfiction
I had questions I didn't know how to word and concerns that hadn't quite taken shape. The church, some of the Christians I know, the whole religious scene in America--they seemed hyped up instead of internally ignited. But the gospel needs no exaggeration. It requires no introductory joke or luring snacks and films. Many say that becoming a Christian is simple. Yes, it is! But be advised that "simple" means CLEAR...and it does not mean "easy."

MacArthur combats easy believism with strong exposit
Ryan Coon
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one book that every pastor should read. You might not agree with his premises or conclusions, but you need to understand MacArthur’s position shall we say, “from the horse’s mouth.” I think that if those critical of MacAruthur on this issue would carefully read what he wrote, paying special attention to what he says he is not saying (i.e., that he is adding works to faith) then much of the controversy and confusion would be cleared up. Personally I tend to agree with his premises (that s ...more
Jesvin Jose
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two errors constantly plague the church: legalism and antinominiasm. Macarthur deals with both of these errors but focuses mostly on the second. Human works cannot earn favor with God (legalism denies this truth) while true faith must always result in good works or practical righteousness (antinominiasm denies this truth). In other words, the unbeliever cannot earn merit with God through good works while the true believer will never fail to produce fruit. Both these truths need to be held in Bib ...more
Sydneyann Chase
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Game changer book in my life. I had a friend give me this book a couple years ago as one of the most important and impactful books she has read in regards to her faith in Christ. I have to agree, this is a game changer for me too. There are some things I think the author takes a little of an extreme interpretation on, but overall this book is one I think every one should consider reading.
Vianny D'Souza
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book! It's more above how the Gospel should be presented and what it actually is. Brilliant examples given from the parables as to how Jesus proclaimed his Gospel. I also loved the small sections on the gospel according to the apostles and according to church history towards the end.
Danny Bennett
I came into the book pretty confident of my 'free grace' perspective and after reading MacArthur's book I am all the more confident in 'free grace' over 'lordship salvation.' MacArthur clearly explains his views and concerns about the gospel and how we present it which i swhy I gave him an ok review, but I found him completely unconvincing. I just simply interpret the bible, specifically James and the Gospel of John, differently; and I actually take Hebrews seriously. I found Appendix Three inte ...more
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an astute book that thoroughly examines the Biblical view of salvation. He deftly uses scripture to assert that the Bible clearly states one cannot be saved without a changed life as evidence. There are a lot of churches preaching that one can be saved and continue to conform to worldly thinking and living. They call these people "sterile Christians". In other words they are saved even though there is nothing in the behavior or talk to show it.

MacArthur clearly examines this false teachi
Peter Grafe
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I did love the book partly, I'm sure, because it echoes a firmly held belief for me: we live in an era of 'easy-believe-ism', with devastating consequences for the Christian church. MacArthur can look at familiar passages in a fresh way and uses clear concise language. What remains to be seen, is if the book is only 'preaching to the choir'.
Charles Ferguson
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite
Without a doubt a top 3 book every Christian should own, read, understand and live. John Macarthur explains very clearly what it means to be a Christian; not in his words, but in Christ's words.

The world has a very wrong view on what it means to be a Christian and what the Bible says about our Lord. This book helps clear the air on what the Gospel message really is.
Andy Kline
May 30, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author attempts to address some legitimate issues by creating a theology that mixes faith and works. Unfortunate. MacArthur has some great books, but this is not one of them.
Levi
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This rather old book by John MacArthur was a read that rocked me to my core. I had previously heard of MacArthur's controversial doctrine of "lordship salvation" from persons (or persons who knew such persons) who clearly had a bone to pick with him.

But I am convinced that MacArthur's theology is grossly misunderstood. Contrary to popular belief, MacArthur does not espouse a works-based-salvation theology. Rather, he advocates for a doctrine as old the New Testament itself: "You shall know a tr
Barron
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent book. Even though this was an anniversary edition published in the 90’s of a book that was originally published in the 1980’s, its messsage is still very relevant for today if not even more so.

The book deals with the duel subjects of easy believism and no-LORDship Christianity which are closely connected to each other. No-LORDship Christianity is the belief that one can accept Christ as their Savior without making Him their Master and LORD. This easy believism says that a
Robert Luff
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent treatment of genuine repentant belief. I found myself shouting "Amen," a lot at the beginning. Our contemporary church culture has been heading into dangerous antinomian waters for a long time, and this book articulated what has been troubling my heart, and demonstarted powerfully that true saving faith, according to Scripture, is always a repentant faith. A person must turn to God (faith) from sin (repentance) in order to be saved, and he or she will always show evidence later on of t ...more
Caleb
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you haven't heard of "Lordship Salvation", read this ASAP!

MacArthur fights valiantly for the truth of the gospel in this book. He seeks to push back antinomianism in today's churches that push an "easy beliefism" in replacement of following Christ and repenting from sin. It's not the gospel of the Bible and MacArthur has brought 300+ pages to prove it. It's loaded with scripture. The book reads more of a sermon than a structured book. It can be tough to hang on towards the second half.

I woul
Hillary
May 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book should have been titled "The Gospel According to John MacArthur". Throughout the book, MacArthur arrogantly claims to be the only "true" expert on interpreting Scripture. He even goes so far as to blatantly discredit and call out by name other theologians. His description of the gospel fails to include God's grace and love. Instead, MacArthur encourages a judgmental and "holier than thou" attitude that is evident in every book and sermon he gives.
Mitch Fortner
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changing

I would recommend this book to anyone who is truly open to understanding the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I was reading through the Gospel books again as I read this book, and I found absolutely nothing in conflict with the Bible, specifically the words of Jesus Christ. It is meticulously referenced. I believe this book will become one of my favorites and have a lasting impact on my faith. Thank you Dr. MacArthur.
Jeremy Pynch
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having come out of the easy-believism movement, I found this book to be extremely helpful in my understanding of the lordship controversy that is so prevalent in the church. Christ cannot be your Savior if he is not your Lord - the two are inseparable. To have one without the other is a fool's errand. I personally believe that every Christian should read this book.
Brandon Vaughan
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: soteriology
This is without a doubt one of the best books that I have ever read. It provides clarity to the gospel of Jesus Christ in a postmodern world. Dr. MacArthur absolutely nails down the fact that if one does not submit to Jesus as Lord, they cannot have Him as Savior. Whether you are a pastor, Lay Christian or skeptic this book needs to be at the top of your reading list.
Joseph Leskey
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody, probably
Several good points, several good points. Quite a fine book, really. There's no reason that I can see why you shouldn't read it. Of course, I'm not exactly snooping around in the essential facets of your existence, so maybe that's why.
Darin Vogt
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great theology and exegesis!

Without a doubt, this is one of the best books I have ever read. Everyone should read this and go war with the false understandings they may hold personally in reference to salvation.
Christian Barrett
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is arguably the best book I have read when it comes to breaking down the parables that Jesus presented throughout the gospels.
Njaka Tsiori
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Of course ! The Lord says "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no one comes to the Father but through Me". John 14 : 6

Gregg Veach
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
An exhaustive look into what the True Gospel is. This work will probably anger many, but that's okay, as the Truth often will anger those who don't understand, or want to believe, it.
Njaka Tsiori
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good New : Jesus is the only Way to know the sens of life !!!
Vivian Gapith
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Very informative and easy to understand. The true gospel as the Bible presents it and should be required reading for any new Christian.
  • The Truth of the Cross
  • The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended, and Documented
  • The Forgotten Spurgeon
  • Redemption Accomplished and Applied
  • Finally Alive: What Happens When We Are Born Again?
  • The God Who Justifies
  • The Seven Sayings of the Saviour on the Cross
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • The Death of Death in the Death of Christ
  • Pierced for Our Transgressions: Rediscovering the Glory of Penal Substitution
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
John F. MacArthur, Jr. is a United States Calvinistic evangelical writer and minister, noted for his radio program entitled Grace to You and as the editor of the Gold Medallion Book Award winning MacArthur Study Bible. MacArthur is a fifth-generation pastor, a popular author and conference speaker and has served as pastor-teacher of Grace Community Church in Sun Valley, California since 1969, and ...more
“J. I. Packer has written, “The repentance that Christ requires of His people consists in a settled refusal to set any limit to the claims which He may make on their lives.”17” 0 likes
“To say “Lord, Lord” and then disobey is the moral equivalent of a Judas kiss.” 0 likes