Start by marking “You Ought To Know Adam Wade” as Want to Read:
You Ought To Know Adam Wade

You Ought To Know Adam Wade

Twenty-time Moth storytelling SLAM winner Adam Wade shares his life experiences in live performance in this unique memoir that combines his honesty onstage with his intimate reflections in the studio.

With his impassioned delivery and heartfelt perspective, Adam Wade and his personal, yet universal stories, have earned him 20 StorySLAM victories at The Moth and made him
Audible Audio, 2 pages
Published January 2nd 2020 by Audible Original

To ask other readers questions about You Ought To Know Adam Wade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Ought To Know Adam Wade

Start your review of You Ought To Know Adam Wade
Julie
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
DNF half way through not because it was bad but not the kind of material for me. Wade is a good story teller and if you like bitter sweet stories this could be up your alley.
Jeff
This was a comedic memoir of Adam Wade. I've never heard of him before but he is one of the top performers in the country in story slams such as The Moth. There are a number of stories here in five chapters, starting from when he was a child and up to him achieving fame as the winner of 20 slams in The Moth. How have I not heard of him?

Most of the stories were emotional and self-deprecating. There were some laughs. I thought the stories were fine, some were really good and some didn't connect
Alan Teder
Comedy Memoir told in Stories
Review of the Audible Original audiobook (Jan. 2, 2020)

This was funny self-deprecatory memoir told in 9 short stories with some brief interludes as stand-up storyteller Adam Wade recounts his life through day camp, high school, college and his restaurant work in New York City while trying to make a career in the production side of the TV business while also honing his stand-up routine at theatres and clubs. There are several characters that reappear throughout the
Ciprian Dobre-Trifan
Like a stand up comedy but more authentic presenting the growing up of an insecure child into an insecure adult chasing the American dream.
Teresa Barrera
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a free audible listen, so I gave it a go. I haven't heard of Adam Wade before and being I enjoy comedy, I was excited to listen to this.
I didn't get as many laughs as I hoped for, but I did get a few chuckles here and there.
It starts off with him as a kid building up to adulthood. He's dealt with some rough stuff in his life and I felt for the guy. I'd mention some things, but I don't want to spoil anything.
Maybe it's a different experience watching standup than it is listening, but I
Jack
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was a free audible selection; however, it really wasn’t a “book”. It seems to be Mr. Wade’s act as a storyteller. In most of the stories, Mr. Wade comes out on the losing end; however, except for the fact that he is the narrator, he does not give you reasons to root for him as an underdog.
Tom Walsh
Jan 13, 2020 rated it did not like it
I guess I’m too old for Audible Originals. This effort by Woody Allen/David Sedaris wannabe, Adam Wade, is supposedly very popular on The Moth but I found it to be a cliche-ridden juvenile attempt at humor and bathos better left to the Middle School schoolyard.

Read it at your own risk. It’s worth almost every penny of the $0.00 Audible Members paid for it. We really ought to charge a reasonable rate for the Two and a half hours wasted listening to it.
Margo Sinks
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I listened to this as an Audible Original. The sound quality was poor. The narrator faded in and out. A lot of what he said was muffled or garbled. The first two hours had some amusing moments but it wasn't until the last half hour when the author was in NY trying to make his way that I actually laughed out loud several times. I am glad that I got this book free, I would have felt cheated had I paid good hard cash for it. It may be that this is better as a book written on paper in spite of the ...more
Humbledaisy
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
I wasn't familiar with Adam Wade's storytelling so it took me a while to understand his techniques. Basically, this autobiography is a piece by piece retelling of how he got into show business, interspersed with his commentary on how it affected his growth from that event.

The stories are very gritty and emotional but written more in the style of standup comedy than a short story format.

I am still not sure on how I feel about his techniques . . .
Lisa Higgins
Jan 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
If you want a few chuckles by listening to the tales of a whiny nerd, this is your book.
Craig Adamson
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a very odd book to listen to. I downloaded it not really knowing who Adam WADE was or what I would be hearing.

Spoiler: this is all about Adam’s life from early childhood to early adulthood.

Its a set of stories that I would expect to hear from a good friend who’s been going through a lot of problems but I know them well enough to be able to hear the stories in confidence. I will give Adam Wade a lot of credit he really puts himself out there in ways that I don’t think anybody else would
Troy Zaher
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A few months ago I listened to Maysoon Zayid’s audible original memoir. Like Wade, she was a comedian, and the audible original was a way to tell her life’s story through humor, bittersweet melancholy, and self deprecation. After listening to this, I wish the audible director who helped create this piece, had worked on Zayid’s with hers.

Wade tells his story primarily in front of a live audience during a comedy routine. He then creates bridges between each story with a little more detail on how
Alexis
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was ok, I was hoping it would be a little funnier since it said done by a comedian. So I wanted laugh out loud funny. I smiled a few times but no chuckle.
I also wanted to like the short stories more since I like The Moth. It was fine enough, but I didn't connect as much as I was hoping I would have.
Niki
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a few listen from audible and I really enjoyed it. I had never heard of Adam Wade but the book was a bunch of chapters that were all different stories about his life growing up. He claims to be a nerd that nobody ever got and now has become a comedian and tells his stories to make people laugh.
Kent Kirker
An Audible Original for the moment! Adam Wade’s storytelling left me wanting much more! I laughed, I cried, I felt a deep emotional connection to his life and the way he parlayed it through comedy and humility. I WANT MORE!
Sher (in H-Town)
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another audible original that is basically not an audiobook. Basic standup comedy. I can take it or leave it. Something I might watch on tv if I couldn’t find anything else but basically didn’t seem anything like a book to me. The comedy was fine. Got it free from audible subscription.
Gilbert Stack
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Anyone who feels in need of a good laugh should listen to this short audio book. Wade tells endearing stories from his life that will bring you close to tears and then suddenly have you laughing out loud. I’d like to hear more from him.
Bkrieth
Jan 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Engaging listen from a talented storyteller. As with all good autobiographical material, Wade’s story offers some “ oh my goodness” differences and “ oh yes, I hear you” similarities to the reader’s life.
Heather
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
A sweet series of performances from a humble, down-to-earth, and all-around nice guy. I was originally drawn to the feature as a big fan of the The Moth spoken word shows. The compilation celebrates one of its alum and it's great that the program has become a launching point for talent.
Rinda
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This was marketed as an audiobook but was really clips of the “authors” stand up comedy with a brief set-ups from him before each clip. Some stories were funny, others embarrassing or nostalgic. Not what I was expecting but it was entertaining.
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read as a free audible month and it was great. Needed this comical relief after a more intense book prior too. I didn't know Adam before but do now. Well done!
Assortedtrashprincess
Terrible audio quality.
Henry
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy, audio, audible, 2020
I was expecting stand-up comedy but got so much more. Adam Wade's storytelling was complex, heartwarming, funny, and teaches some valuable life lessons.
Kathy
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun audible original for the month of Jan
Andy
Jan 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Entertaining to listen.
Joyce Driggers
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Short, sweet and charming. Made me smile.
Tim Gillen
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Humorous. Lightened my workout.
Kim
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Loved his honesty, humility, and story telling.
Hiba
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Awesome storytelling. Not sure if I'd call it a book though.
Wolverinefactor
Jan 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audible
An unfunny stand up routine this is not an audiobook and Audible needs to stop producing this trash as such.

• The Minuteman