Start by marking “It's Not What It Looks Like” as Want to Read:
It's Not What It Looks Like

It's Not What It Looks Like

Listening Length: 3 hours and 5 minutes

In an audiobook like none you’ve ever heard before, blind YouTube star Molly Burke speaks with authenticity and candor about being a purple-haired, pink-loving fashion and makeup lover in a seeing world.

Diagnosed with retinitis pigmentosa, Burke has been legally blind since age five, and became completely sightless as a teenager.
Audible Audio, 4 pages
Published August 1st 2019 by Audible Original

To ask other readers questions about It's Not What It Looks Like, please sign up.
Maryalene It is an Audible Original, but it comes with a .pdf of the text that can be accessed through the chapters view on the Audible app. (I know that…moreIt is an Audible Original, but it comes with a .pdf of the text that can be accessed through the chapters view on the Audible app. (I know that doesn't help you since you don't have Audible, but just an FYI for anyone else who might be wondering.)(less)

Start your review of It's Not What It Looks Like
Erin
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
An Audible original selection for August; Audiobook narrated by the author 3hours 5mins 28sec

Funny, animated and completely honest, YouTuber Molly Burke offers a glance into the ups and downs of life with retinitis pigmentosa, her battle with mental illness, and a very blunt look at what people really need to know about people with disabilities and their service animals (specifically dogs). I certainly enjoyed Molly's bubbly personality.

Goodreads review published 13/08/19
Kim
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
very good audiobook! If you only get one thing out of this book.....remember, there's a difference between service lead dogs, and therapy dogs....and respect the disabled by not petting the lead dog.....you're only hurting the disabled person and making the training of that dog all the harder.
I was very humbled by Molly.....
Corinna
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible-listens
Way to go, Molly! This self-proclaimed girlie-girl who loves fashion and makeup in a world where she has been diagnosed as legally blind is spinning stigma on its head.

Her Audible original covers everything from her battle with mental illness to her love for pink and glitter, from fighting for social awareness for her disability to her high school prom date (her service dog).

Fun little listen, and worthwhile to support an awesome young lady doing so much for her community.

I'd rate this book a
Diane
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks, 2019
Being neither a millennial nor someone who watches much YouTube, I am the first to concede that I am not Molly Burke's target audience. I read this because I was interested in Molly's experiences with living in today's world while dealing with blindness. Unfortunately, on that subject I found the book to be superficial and lacking. To me, the story felt primarily like any millennial telling the story of how she built her YouTube presence, with little flashes of Molly's personal story of how that ...more
Cathleen
Sep 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
I seem to be the only person who absolutely HATED this book. This young woman has been through a lot, and I was really hoping for a motivational story about how she made a major difference in the world. Instead, this book showed me she is the stereotype of a vapid, narcissistic millennial. I can't figure out how she is a motivational speaker, seeing as she is so self-centered. She spent half the time lecturing her listeners about what terrible people we are to the disabled and how none of us ...more
Nikaley Chandler
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
John
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I suppose it says something about this book that I did not finish it, even though it's only 3 hours long.

I'm sure I'm not her target audience exactly, but even so I had some serious issues with the material. She mentions being bullied pretty much constantly all the way through school in Toronto. However, I don't recall a single episode described in any detail to get an idea of what she was going through. All I can recall is that once she found out that someone she thought liked her had been
Rissa
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. I think everyone should listen to this so they have that extra knowledge about someone’s life that is much more different then their own.
It was just amazing.
Cammie
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Molly Burke’s frank and sometimes funny memoir. She tells about becoming blind and the challenges she faced growing up and continues to encounter in her life as a professional.
Haley
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, purchased
First and foremost, it feels weird to leave a rating and put a number on someone's life story, especially when it is someone I watch on YouTube. This was a good book, but because of the reasons below I felt it was more average rather than excellent.

Molly's story was informative to learn about. I found it interesting to learn how she went blind, how she adopted her service dogs, and why she is in the career she is in. However, I found myself drifting and becoming disinterested half way through
John
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a quick audio book, but I appreciated Molly's candor in describing her experiences as a young woman who just happens to also be blind. She was encouraging and provided additional thoughts for the sighted who may have questions, but no clear way or place to ask them. I was particularly thankful for the information about Guide dogs and hope that everyone gives it a listen. It's so incredibly important to understand the rights and functions of Guide dogs, other support animals, and what ...more
Jillian
Audiobook Review.
This is not a book I would have chosen had it not been offered as one of the free Audible Originals for this month. I had never heard of Molly Burke. I'm glad I had the opportunity to choose it and listen. I ended up liking it and I even got a little emotional at some of the parts discussing her early years. Then I got really emotional when she talked about Gypsy passing away.

It's Not What it Looks Like is a quick listen, only 3 hours and 5 minutes, and is narrated by Molly
Rachel
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I had to read this for book club. I didn’t know anything about Molly Burke before & wouldn’t have picked this up on my own.

I got it for free on Audible so I can’t complain too much, but there really wasn’t much to it...no meat, no depth. It was extremely short & seemed like it was written just to make a few bucks.

She would start talking about something & then it would be over without going into any detail whatsoever. Like, “one time I felt so bad I wanted to kill myself but then I
Leslie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
August Audible Original Selection about a young woman with blindness. It is more geared for teens, young adults and early 20-30s. I do think it is important for young folks to read this given the theme as it is very important in our social medial realm. I also think that anyone dealing with any sort of longterm medical issue (not to take away from the blindness or what she has gone through) can learn from the author’s experiences. She also has advice on how to live life the best way she has so ...more
Amanda Butler
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir, audible
This was a very uplifting and informative audiobook about the YouTuber’s life and her experiences navigating school, career prospects, and her retinitis pigmentosa diagnosis. Her passion for disability advocacy shines through and I love her narration.

I do want to point out that the name of her first guide dog is G*psy, an ethnic slur for the Romani people. However, it’s clear that it was the dog’s training school that named her, not Molly.

I absolutely love how Molly is passionate about people
Joanna Tice
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Motivational book with some personal insight to Molly Burke's life. It was nice to learn a different view of sight and the challenges/successes in everyday life. P.s. I won't pet a working seeing eye dog on the job from here on out and I'll be sure to call bs when someone talks about prof of papers. Next thing to learn will be more about ADA laws.
Gabbie
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re dealing with a disability, know someone with a disability, or none of the above - you should read this. Some illnesses are noticeable, some are not, but in the end all who are affected are human. Burke does an excellent job of showing the challenges of living with a disability while remaining lighthearted and informative. Bravo!
Chelsea
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This audiobook does a great job of explaining what it's like to be blind to us sighted people. Burke has an interesting story and I learned a lot while being entertained by some interesting anecdotes. I look forward to hearing more stories like hers as our society (hopefully) becomes more accepting of disabled people of all kinds.
Kristina Stefanova
The life of Molly Burke read by herself. Very honest and positive story about her challenges, fears and successes.
Ieva Strupisa
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring story of Molly. It did make me cry at some points. I especially loved points about inclusion. High quality 'reading' material!
Jess
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a woman with a disability who uses crutches I love that she said don't praise people with disabilities for existing. It is a little belittling and don't pet service animals.

She has a good story and message to share. I appreciate that she is working to change the perception of the disabled. Really worth a listen
Amy
Aug 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ember Bladestorm
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Molly is such an inspiration. As someone who's legally blind, so much of it was encouraging and inspirational;
Anniken Haga
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, 2019, biography
So this was the other book that I picked up as one of my two Audible Originals for the month. I had some mixed feelings about it. It is, after all, a book about disability, and while I really want to support the author and educate myself, it might hit to close to home. And this book did. But in a good way.

I didn't know about Molly Burke from before. I'd never heard of her, as I'm not interested in fasion or makeup, or even hang at youtube all that much. I thought this might get in the way of me
Tom Brennan
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting memoir of a young woman who comes to terms with her blindness, what having a disability in an abled society means and some support/encouragement for those who are struggling with their own life experiences. I did not know who she was until I listened to the book where I found out she has a youtube channel with a substantial subscriber base (close to 2 million). There was much I was not aware of before listening to the book. One of the most satisfying chapters though was Burke's ...more
Ellen
Aug 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Real Rating 3.5. I always enjoy when books give me a new perspective and Molly Burke's It's Not What it Looks Like certainly does. I nodded my head vigorously as I remembered moments from my childhood, wondering what it meant to be labeled with a disability, especially when I didn't see myself as different from the other kids -- until I was. I'm not part of the Blind community, but I instantly knew what she was talking about. Burke does a great job of connecting with the listener, even knowing ...more
Ryan H
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is very educational and interesting listen. A little bit sassy and a whole Lotta personality fill up this book. It chronicles many of the major parts of the authors life and does a great job. We all have our ups and downs and I commend her on making it through hers and inspiring as all just a little bit, even though it’s just her living her life. At times this book does get a little bit heavy but she sprinkles her bubbly personality throughout it and toss is an a joke you’re there that had ...more
chris smith
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
Another book I came to cold, without knowing anything about the author or her story.
Things I liked: great source of inspirational stories stocked full of overcoming obstacles and dealing with emotional health, trigger warnings before talking about sensitive topics which I appreciated, insight about the world of blind disability, being educated about the disability world, the evolution of her growth within the story.
Things I didn't like: she's not a voice-over actor, she talked about "being
InkFire
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I never knew there was so much I didn't know about life with visual handicaps! Or handicaps in general, actually. I wish I'd started learn about this years ago!
Denise
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019, own
Another Audible Original I probably wouldn't have picked up if it hadn't been part of this month's free selection. Now, I'm not someone who gets anything (other than eye-rolling and mild annoyance) out of motivational speakers or someone who watches anyone's YouTube channels, and I happen to find bubbly, overly cheerful people extremely irritating most of the time, so I'm probably not really the right audience for this. That said, the journey Molly has undertaken so far to follow her dreams and ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Sisters (Cormac Reilly, #0.5)
  • The Absolute Brightness of Leonard Pelkey
  • Proof of Love
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • It Burns: The Scandal-Plagued Race to Breed the World’s Hottest Chilli
  • Body Of Proof
  • The Man Who Knew The Way to the Moon
  • Buried Deep
  • You do You: Proud to Be Fabulous
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads data base.