Start by marking “Junkyard Cats” as Want to Read:

(Junkyard Cats #1)

Listening Length: 5 hours and 2 minutes

From the author of the best-selling Jane Yellowrock and Soulwood series comes a tough new heroine who is far more than she seems.

After the Final War, after the appearance of the Bug aliens and their enforced peace, Shining Smith is still alive, still doing business from the old scrapyard bequeathed to her by her father. But Shining is
Audible Audio, 5 pages
Published January 2nd 2020 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Junkyard Cats, please sign up.
Simone You can get an estimate of the number of pages. Just use the minutes of audio multiply them by 160. There are around 250 words on one page. So once yo…moreYou can get an estimate of the number of pages. Just use the minutes of audio multiply them by 160. There are around 250 words on one page. So once you have the number of words, divide by 250. That gives you a rough estimate of the number of pages.

E.g. this one is 5h 2min = 302 min; 302 min*160 = 48,320 words; divide that by 250 = approx. 193 pages(less)
Samantha Yes, cats are hurt and some die but not the main cats. It isn’t graphic with the cat deaths. They are the good guys.

Start your review of Junkyard Cats
Ian
Shining Smith runs a post apocalypse dystopian junk yard. The world has gone to pot and biker gangs have largely taken over. The Hells Angels have learned that she has some heavy duty alien tech in her pile of trash and decide to take it off her hands.

It's her and her somewhat sentient cats as well as a man who is more warbot than human who must fight them off and prevent the bad guys from getting world destroying tech.

I really enjoyed this for what it is but it wasn't always plain sailing. It
Montzalee Wittmann
By: Faith Hunter
Narrated by: Khristine Hvam
This was great! So much is in here! Advanced robotics, alien bugs, space ships, and other cool things like cats that help our gal! Great plot and characters, even the cats! The narration is terrific too!
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I really enjoyed this book. I picked this one up as a freebie on Audible and decided to listen to it right away. Unfortunately by the time I got around to writing my review, I didn't remember enough of the details to put together any kind of halfway decent collection of thoughts. It is a rather short book at just 5 hours of listening time so I decided I would just give it another listen, which is what I did.

While I read and listen to
Robin (Bridge Four)
Faith Hunter is an author that I’ve become very familiar with in both her Jane Yellowrock and Soulwood series. Junkyard Cats is definitely a shift from those two stories. It is set years later after a war or wars and an Alien invasion.

Shining Smith has lived a life of isolation since she died, or at least since let everyone believe she died. Now she lives in the middle of nowhere surrounded by junk in a scrapyard. Thing is that junk is hiding something valuable, even more valuable than the woman
Jamie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
There's an interesting, if busy, post apocalyptic world here - runaway nanotech, combat bots, alien invaders, bio-engineered insects, militias, rival biker gangs - but also loads of jargon and info dumping and a YA feel that turned me off. The heavily armed young female protagonist, replete with overactive hormones and smart "guardian" cats, is kind of bad ass on one hand, yet on the other her top priorities seem to include her outfit and personal hygiene. Anyway, much of the story is an intense ...more
Gary Sundell
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Top notch narration. Tough female main character, a warbot, some snarky AI, and cats. What a five hour ride. I hope the author is working on the sequel.
Jeanny
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m in love with this new series The world is intriguing & the characters well developed. I’m looking forward to book 2.

I’d highly recommend this series to those who enjoy Sci-fi, dystopian worlds, space, Evolutionary biology & Artificial Intelligence.
Fans of the Messenger Chronicles series by Pippa DaCosta will enjoy this new series.

5 stars
Jan
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
The idea was good, but the execution not so much. I looked forward to this one but was disappointed.
--I love cats, so their inclusion and the communication between them were fun. BUT...
--The amount of tech language was overdone; every few minutes we hear the model, caliber, and technology of the weapons being used, and there are a LOT of weapons. In fact, the whole story was one big shootout.
--Even in the middle of a life-or-death battle, the main character is wondering if she should sleep with
Daria
Jan 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
An absolute pile of trash. I was attracted by the concept of a female-led sci-fi, completed with cats. Sounded very exciting! But it was incredibly disappointing.

I personally love sci-fi. But many times, especially when talking to other women, I came across a very negative reaction to science fiction. "I like all the genres, except science fiction" - they would say. And I really struggled; how anybody who has an interest in the world we live in and the future not like science fiction? Pretty muc
Susan Kennedy
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. It was better than expected, although I wasn't really sure what it was going entail. The characters were interesting and you definitely got to know them. I love character development and this did a great job on building each of them.

The story was unique and kept me interested. You kept learning of the protagonists history little by little so it kept the story flowing. It was action packed and full of futuristic ideas that were fun. I loved the main character, her attitude,
☕️Kimberly
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-2020
I thoroughly enjoyed this science fiction tale set in future West Virginia and cannot wait for another installment in this series.

The audio is approximately five hours and does a stellar job of introducing the world and giving us history regarding the Final War and life for Shining and her companions at the scrapyard. Secrets, unusual cats, and creepy bots added to the tale.

I loved the AI, the cats…and the story as it unfolded. Hunter didn’t do a lot of info dumping, rather she shared as things
Lisazj1
4.5 stars! The intro novella into a brand new world from Faith Hunter has hooked me in short order. Not all that surprising since it is from Faith Hunter but I'm ready for more.

I confess it had to grow on me a bit, as did the the reader Khristine Hvam, who was new to me. But that was just initially as I was figuring out the world and characters. The reader actually did a damn impressive job with the story and I hope if the author continues, that she continues with audio as well.
Narilka
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, read-in-2020
Rating: 3.5 stars

Shining Smith ekes out a living running a junkyard. She's a survivor of the Final War, where she was altered by alien nanobots making her not-quite human any more. The junkyard is her sanctuary where life is predictable and safe. Right up until a scrapped Tesla warplane is delivered containing the dead body of one of her few friends with a warning inside. Someone knows her secret, what she's been guarding all these years. Shining's boring life is about to become a lot more inter
Veronica
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
This story is heavy on the jargon and info dumping and light on actual character development so I can't say I ever felt anything for any of the characters. I listened to this on audiobook and it's short, a little over five hours long, but the author crams in a backstory involving a biker gang war, WWIII against China, and a space war with bug aliens. Or something like that. My brain kept glazing over every time the story launched into a lengthy dissertation about this or that technology. On the ...more
Cori
This is a whole other level of cat lady.

Junkyard Cats' world building reminded me a LOT of Borderlands (the game franchise) which. I. Love. Actually, the world building left me wanting more. Why? When? What about? All of the above? Loved it.

That said, the character development was stunted simply as a result of the short story. While we got a decent snapshot for the main protagonist, the potential for some of the side characters to shine never came through. And personally, I felt like there was
Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees
DISCLAIMER
I am in no way an expert in the sci-fi genre. I am a very, very humble novice. This surprises me a little, since I love sci-fi movies, but it is probably because I have no idea what a hyperdrive looks like and much rather be shown.

Shining Smith. What a gal. Hero. Badass. Fashionista. Cat Lady.
In this action packed production, female weapons dealer finds her comrade, Harlan, dead in the trunk of a Tesla with a note in his hand.

"Name of the shooter was ONE-EYE JACK".

In a long ago war i
Maria Dimitrova
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, sci-fi
It's a rare thing when I pick up any of the monthly Audible Originals offers. But when I saw it's by Faith Hunter I had to have it. hands down I loved it. There were some low moments, mostly due to the overabundance of abbreviations but everything else was pure perfection.

Shining is a compelling heroine that just sucks you in. The set of secondary characters are no less enchanting. Particularly the ship's AI. I loved that sassy southern belle! And the setting... I never thought that I'd be inte
Alaina
Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This one definitely flew by!

Junkyard Cats mysteriously showed up on my audible app. I think someone was using it and claimed an original (or two) for January. Not mad because I actually enjoyed both choices they picked. Just found it weird.

So this audio is quite short, but it also dumps loads and loads of information on you. Not a bad thing necessarily because it wasn't something that would make you fall asleep. Everything was kind of interesting for a world that survived an invasion from space
Jacqueline J
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this listen. The narrator did a fine job. The world building was intricate and was not just an info dump but was revealed over the course of the story. There is a strong female protagonist. There were cats that could communicate in images. So far they don't talk and I hope that remains true since I don't like talking animals. There seems to be a lot more story to be told. This is listed as book one so I hope we don't have to wait too long for the next one. ...more
Minx
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Junkyard Cats is an Audible original audiobook and it is the first in a new series featuring Shining Smith, a woman who grew up in a biker gang, saw action in the Final War, and settled in a scrapyard that was once her father’s. Now if after reading the synopsis you are intrigued and would love to read this book but are not a fan of audiobooks, do not fret. You will get your chance, the word on the street is that this book will come out as a kindle book (hopefully you have kindle or a kindle app ...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
I think the problem for me was lack of world building. Though there was a lot of information dump, it wasn’t cohesive enough. I walked away unsure what I read or the purpose. She had a ship. But it didn’t seem so unusual. So why were they after her? She was hiding but I didn’t get a sense of why the people after her would know anything for sure to be looking for her. Why did the one guy get so possessive she had to put him down? Thus thinking it would be okay to let the other one go. Too much in ...more
Donna
Nov 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was an Audible freebie. I went in with no expectations and I ended up being pleasantly surprised.

I liked the Sci-fi aspect of this and the fact that it wasn't too short. There was plenty of time to develop the story. More character development would be one of those things on my wish list though.

The MC, Shining Smith, was able to carry the story. She had an interesting life, an interesting world, interesting cats & ants, and interesting friends. My only real qualm with this was with some o
Natalie
Chrissy
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Dystopian Sci-Fi

I love Faith Hunter and I particularly enjoy listening to Khristine Hvam’s narration of her books. Buying this book was a no-brainer despite being a different genre from Ms Hunter’s usual works.

This work is set decades in the future, after several world wars and invasion of ‘bugs” from space. Shining Smith is a survivor of the wars, she lives in a junkyard left to her by her deceased father and is kept company by an office AI, called Gomez, a war-bot inhabited by a very dam
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Shining Smith runs a junk yard where she hides because she is official dead. She’s not all human... she’s undergone genetic modification from alien bugs and no one must ever find out the truth. She harbors a LOT of illegal tech and weapons on site, not to mention her war-bot friend, Mateo. Things are going fine until Enforcer Jaeger shows up, followed by a cell of MS Angels. Suddenly the normally quiet junkyard is a battle zone.

Junkyard Cats is a solid futuristic sci-fi. There are gadgets and sp
Angela Charles
I did not know what to expect when it came to this book. I have to admit that I'm a bit obsessed with Ms. Faith Hunter. I love everything that she writes so I was a bit excited but yet nervous when she told us that this was coming out. I do not know why I wasn't sure since she has not written a bad story since I have been following her but it's a different genre so I guess that is where the fear comes from.

When I first started this I was a bit confused. She started off talking about ants. I'm f
Linda
Aug 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn’t a novella so much as the first episode in a dystopian, Mad Max kind of story, very unlike Hunter’s other works. The narrative often is heavy on technical jargon describing various weapons and bio mechanical modifications, with some backstory of the previous and ongoing wars as well as the protagonist’s history sprinkled in. It lost me at times. But Shining Smith is an interesting character and I’m interested enough in what will happen with her that I likely will look for the next inst ...more
Nicole
Jan 27, 2020 marked it as dnf
Not a book for me. Too many bugs (bio-modified ants), too many guns, too many futuristic military acronyms, not enough cats (at least by 12% in). Probably more enjoyable to those who enjoy military sci-fi more than I do.
Elentarri
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neat world building and wonderful characters! A delightfully told story.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Intriguing world-building. I will continue the series. Some of the sci-fi jargon went over my head. This story feels fresh and not some regurgitated sci-fi fantasy (at least, none that I’ve read).

• Interview with the Robot
  • A Misunderstanding (Hidden Legacy #4.1)
  • Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)
  • Ember (Awaken Online: Tarot #1)
  • Magitek (The Rift Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Aurelia Ryder, #1)
  • The Messengers
  • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
Faith Hunter's Junkyard Cats novella series is brand new, with book one available only in Audible at this time.

Faith's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

The Soulwood series is a dark-urban fantasy / paranormal police procedural /para-thriller series fea

Junkyard Cats (2 books)
  • Junkyard Bargain (Junkyard Cats, #2)