Start by marking “Junkyard Cats” as Want to Read:

(Junkyard Cats #1)

Listening Length: 5 hours and 2 minutes

From the author of the best-selling Jane Yellowrock and Soulwood series comes a tough new heroine who is far more than she seems.

After the Final War, after the appearance of the Bug aliens and their enforced peace, Shining Smith is still alive, still doing business from the old scrapyard bequeathed to her by her father. But Shining is
Audible Audio, 5 pages
Published January 2nd 2020 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Junkyard Cats, please sign up.
Kristina More comment than answer...
More comment than answer...
I completely agree. For those of us that crazily track tons of aspects of our reading habits, including pages read, it is really frustrating. Sometimes I'll skip a title for that reason alone, a sad fact for the authors to consider and maybe they can ask Amazon to work on this issue as well.(less)
Katie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Junkyard Cats
Ian
Shining Smith runs a post apocalypse dystopian junk yard. The world has gone to pot and biker gangs have largely taken over. The Hells Angels have learned that she has some heavy duty alien tech in her pile of trash and decide to take it off her hands.

It's her and her somewhat sentient cats as well as a man who is more warbot than human who must fight them off and prevent the bad guys from getting world destroying tech.

I really enjoyed this for what it is but it wasn't always plain sailing. It
Montzalee Wittmann
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
By: Faith Hunter
Narrated by: Khristine Hvam
This was great! So much is in here! Advanced robotics, alien bugs, space ships, and other cool things like cats that help our gal! Great plot and characters, even the cats! The narration is terrific too!
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
Initial Thoughts
This was really well done. I have had Faith Hunter's books on my tbr for years but haven't picked one up before starting this audiobook yesterday. I ended up having a fantastic time with this story. I thought that the premise of the story was very unique and I thought that the world building was very well done. I thought that the characters were great and I wanted to see Shining Smith come out of the situation she found herself okay. I thought that the narrator really brought the
Jamie
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
There's an interesting, if busy, post apocalyptic world here - runaway nanotech, combat bots, alien invaders, bio-engineered insects, militias, rival biker gangs - but also loads of jargon and info dumping and a YA feel that turned me off. The heavily armed young female protagonist, replete with overactive hormones and smart "guardian" cats, is kind of bad ass on one hand, yet on the other her top priorities seem to include her outfit and personal hygiene. Anyway, much of the story is an intense ...more
Jeanny
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-new-release
I’m in love with this new series The world is intriguing & the characters well developed. I’m looking forward to book 2.

I’d highly recommend this series to those who enjoy Sci-fi, dystopian worlds, space, Evolutionary biology & Artificial Intelligence.
Fans of Shoot the messenger by Pippa DaCosta will enjoy this new series.

5 stars
Rita
Gunfight at the OK Corral
Not my thing. I felt that I was caught up in an old-fashioned western shootout. There was constant talk of weapons.
I loved the cats, hated the bugs. The main character is a tough talking, rough living female. There is no real character development. There is no background.
I got so tired of the constant tech talk. I didn't care about what guns were being used at a constant rate. The narrator seemed mostly talking in a sing song monotone. Guns, guns, guns
At least this was
⭐ Roxie |The Book Slayer| Voorhees ⭐
DISCLAIMER
I am in no way an expert in the sci-fi genre. I am a very, very humble novice. This surprises me a little, since I love sci-fi movies, but it is probably because I have no idea what a hyperdrive looks like and much rather be shown.

Shining Smith. What a gal. Hero. Badass. Fashionista. Cat Lady.
In this action packed production, female weapons dealer finds her comrade, Harlan, dead in the trunk of a Tesla with a note in his hand.

"Name of the shooter was ONE-EYE JACK".

In a long ago war
Alaina
This one definitely flew by!

Junkyard Cats mysteriously showed up on my audible app. I think someone was using it and claimed an original (or two) for January. Not mad because I actually enjoyed both choices they picked. Just found it weird.

So this audio is quite short, but it also dumps loads and loads of information on you. Not a bad thing necessarily because it wasn't something that would make you fall asleep. Everything was kind of interesting for a world that survived an invasion from space
Angela Charles
I did not know what to expect when it came to this book. I have to admit that I'm a bit obsessed with Ms. Faith Hunter. I love everything that she writes so I was a bit excited but yet nervous when she told us that this was coming out. I do not know why I wasn't sure since she has not written a bad story since I have been following her but it's a different genre so I guess that is where the fear comes from.

When I first started this I was a bit confused. She started off talking about ants. I'm
Дарья
Jan 08, 2020 rated it did not like it
An absolute pile of trash. I was attracted by the concept of a female-led sci-fi, completed with cats. Sounded very exciting! But it was incredibly disappointing.

I personally love sci-fi. But many times, especially when talking to other women, I came across a very negative reaction to science fiction. "I like all the genres, except science fiction" - they would say. And I really struggled; how anybody who has an interest in the world we live in and the future not like science fiction? Pretty
Maria Dimitrova
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories, sci-fi
It's a rare thing when I pick up any of the monthly Audible Originals offers. But when I saw it's by Faith Hunter I had to have it. hands down I loved it. There were some low moments, mostly due to the overabundance of abbreviations but everything else was pure perfection.

Shining is a compelling heroine that just sucks you in. The set of secondary characters are no less enchanting. Particularly the ship's AI. I loved that sassy southern belle! And the setting... I never thought that I'd be
Mike Finn
"Junkyard Cats" is a new departure for Faith Hunter. She's freed herself from the super-nat saturated universe that both the Jane Yellowrock and the Soulwood series take place in; moved from Urban Fantasy to Science Fiction and broken with the tradition of bringing out the print version first and gone straight (and only) to audiobook.

I think all these changes are good.

It seemed to me that I could taste the energy and excitement freeing herself from the complex world she built and populated in
Chrissy
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Dystopian Sci-Fi

I love Faith Hunter and I particularly enjoy listening to Khristine Hvam’s narration of her books. Buying this book was a no-brainer despite being a different genre from Ms Hunter’s usual works.

This work is set decades in the future, after several world wars and invasion of ‘bugs” from space. Shining Smith is a survivor of the wars, she lives in a junkyard left to her by her deceased father and is kept company by an office AI, called Gomez, a war-bot inhabited by a very
Robin Mccormack
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-fiction
Where do I begin! I usually only listen to audiobooks in the car, but I was so enthralled with Shining Smith and the story, I plopped down on the couch and listened while coloring and while doing the laundry. I love strong female characters and unique science fiction stories. Feisty and talkative computer personalities, alien bugs, sentient cats, secrets, and more set in a futuristic united states junkyard. Now that I've listened once, the urge to race through is satisfied, and I'm listening a ...more
Jan McClintock
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
The idea was good, but the execution not so much. I looked forward to this one but was disappointed.
--I love cats, so their inclusion and the communication between them were fun. BUT...
--The amount of tech language was overdone; every few minutes we hear the model, caliber, and technology of the weapons being used, and there are a LOT of weapons. In fact, the whole story was one big shootout.
--Even in the middle of a life-or-death battle, the main character is wondering if she should sleep with
Darcy
I'm not quite sure what to think of this one. I liked Shining, thought she did a great job with everything that came her way and how she rolled with everything that she learned. I hated how lonely she was in her life and how she tried not to think of it. Yet quite a bit of this one was weird for me. I wasn't sure what was going on. I did hate how things were left, I hope that Shining can come out ahead.
Nisha D
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Free audible original book for January 2020

This was better then I expected. This is my first Faith Hunter book but I'll defiantly check out some of her other series.

This was a good introduction to this post alien war world and the characters were interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes and listening to other books as this series develops.
Troy Osgood
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An interesting post-apoc/dystopia sci-fi story. Started off kind of slow but got interesting. The world is different and unique with biker gangs, aliens, nano-tech, warbots and near sentient cats. There's some scary implications with Shining and Clarice and what the future can bring.
Scrblasco
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Had really high expectations. It was okay.
Hobart
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---

Faith Hunter dips her toe into SF with this Audible Original, and leaves quite an impression. The distinctive Hutner-flair is there, with science-y stuff replacing the magic stuff. It works pretty well.

Shining Smith is a veteran, of a handful of things, really. This takes place in the near-future, following a World War and another one (called the Final War in an act of aspirational nomenclature, I assume). She lives in/runs a scrapyard
Anniken Haga
Guesstimating ca. 150 pages long, for those wondering about that.

I'm a fan of the author, and have so far read pretty much everything she's published on her own - I think it's been everything, at least. So there wasn't really a question if I was gonne read this or not, especially when I saw it was for free!

So what did I think? This short was a lot of fun.
Like the author's other works, it's well written, gives a good idea of the world, and the characters are unique and interesting.

Only down I
Karissa
Jan 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Series Info/Source: This seems to be the first book in a new series but I wasn’t able to find out if the story will be continued. I got this for free as an Audible Original through my Audible membership

Audiobook Quality (4/5): The audiobook was well done.

Story (3/5): This was a decent start to a new sci-fi series by Faith Hunter. It’s set on a future Earth where WW3 devastated everything. Our main protagonist is trying to make a living dealing black market scrap...or so it seems at first. The
Christa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
There is very interesting world building in this short novel that is the first of a series. I was a little confused a few times because of that intricate world building, and as the only format currently available is audiobook from Audible, I didn't have the option to flip pages back and forth each time it would have helped for me to look at something that happened in a prior part of the story. I expect I'll reread it when it comes out in ebook.

I really liked the main character, Shining Smith,
MELISSA
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating premise with the idea of nanobots expanding to change biological beings and not always in a good way. Then there is Shining and her junkyard and Mateo her male human colleague with a warrior bot body and then the sentient(?) cats prowling and guarding the junkyard. All of this taking place after the entire Earth planet was nearly decimated by war in the future. Extraordinarily detailed about science and weapons systems including black matter. I am wondering if Ms. Hunter will turn ...more
Vanessa
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books-read
Hunter's jump into a new heroine in a dystopian world hits all of the right marks. Shining Smith is a credible, intelligent main character. Former military, Shining has lived under the radar in her desert junkyard for some time. Accompanied only by one other person, her life in the junkyard is secluded. A life of scrapping old military parts is forever changed by the discovery of her friends' body in her latest acquisition. Clutched in his hand is a final message warning her of pending danger. ...more
Bailey
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Meh, it was entertaining. The plot of this one is more of living through one battle and uncovering several mysteries but doesn't really conclude the story. The world building was interesting, and I might still be interested in reading more with these characters, but this particular book felt more like one act in a play drawn out for way too long.
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I’m not sure if this is the start of a new series or a stand alone but I’m hoping it’s a new series. I’m a huge fan of all Faith’s work and really enjoyed this audiobook. Great world building, strong female characters and a great departure from the Yellowrock and Soulwood stories, which I love.
Caroline Åsgård
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Got this for free on Audible. It's not a genre I'm into, so it's no wonder that I couldn't really get into this story. It's probably alright for those who like that kind of stuff.
Also the narrator's voice is kinda nasal, which is annoying at times. But she's good at doing the different accents!
Minx
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great story, review to come.....
Charlotte
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting world- and character-building. I'd like to read more, but the story stands well on its own. Love the cats.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Midnight Son
  • Pont Neuf
  • Viva Durant and The Secret of the Silver Buttons
  • Peter Pan
  • Pile of Bones (The Legends of the First Empire #0.5)
  • A Misunderstanding (Hidden Legacy #4.1)
  • You Can Thank Me Later: A Novella
  • Camp Red Moon (an Audible Original)
  • Climbing with Mollie
Faith Hunter's Junkyard Cats novella series is brand new, with book one available only in Audible at this time.

Faith's Jane Yellowrock series is a dark urban fantasy. Jane is a full blooded Cherokee skinwalker and hunter of rogue-vampires in a world of weres, witches, vampires, and other supernats.

The Soulwood series is a dark-urban fantasy / paranormal police procedural /para-thriller series