Start by marking “Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)” as Want to Read:
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

(Harry Potter #3)

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  2,308,084 ratings  ·  45,255 reviews
Harry Potter's third year at Hogwarts is full of new dangers. A convicted murderer, Sirius Black, has broken out of Azkaban prison, and it seems he's after Harry. Now Hogwarts is being patrolled by the dementors, the Azkaban guards who are hunting Sirius. But Harry can't imagine that Sirius or, for that matter, the evil Lord Voldemort could be more frightening than the dem ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 435 pages
Published May 1st 2004 by Scholastic Inc. (first published July 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, please sign up.
De Wet Time travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy…moreTime travelling is always tricky to handle. For me it was perhaps the weakest spot in the book, but in an otherwise cracking read like this I'm happy to just let things go without over analyzing them. Not much point spoiling my enjoyment of a book by trying to do science and logic on fictional magic.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cmarks14
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  2,308,084 ratings  ·  45,255 reviews

Inge
This is a Weasley appreciation post.

Lily C
Feb 03, 2018 added it
This one is definitely my favourite of the 3 i've read so far.. :)

(Watch my review here): https://youtu.be/gFZ99uPXiIU
Zoë
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
“Don't let the muggles get you down.”
Yup yup yup I love this book.
Raeleen Lemay
Jun 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
re-read in February 2016
Harry is getting his sass on. I love it.

Re-Read in December 2014 for Harry Christmas to You

OH MAN. THIS BOOK IS SO MY FAVORITE.

The phone conversation at the beginning between Ron and Uncle Vernon was PRICELESS. I wish so much that that scene had been in the movie.

I was so into reading this book that I failed to take notes, so I don't have many specifics to add except that I love how Crookshanks was basically Sirius's secret agent spy cat friend and I LOVE THAT.

Also, this
Wil Wheaton
Jul 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I'm beginning to wonder if there will ever be a Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher who is just a teacher.
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

I last read this book when I was 14 years old, given that I'm almost 32 now, I have a whole new perspective on it. Despite the fact that I gave this book 5 stars previously, I have to admit that it didn't grow on me until this, my second read.

Confession time: I didn't like Remus or Sirius.

*Khanh ducks as rotten fruit and eggs are thrown her way*

OK, OK, I'M SORRY! I've since changed my mind! Notice that I used the past tense.

Obviously, there will be spoilers for the book below, for the 1.5 of yo
Hannah
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I have so much more love for this one re-reading it as an adult.

Five stars of course.
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 1/19/19: Idk what happened this time around but I SOBBED for the last 50 pages of this????? My heart aches for all the things that could have happened and I just 😭😭😭

Re-read 5/25/16: Perfection again. Re-reading this series is making me SO happy. Although this book is where things start getting really gloomy and it just breaks my heart to see bad things happening to lil Harry :c
Katerina
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
It's a rainy Sunday. It's colder than it should be this time of the year, so I'm drinking a delicious cup of coffee and I'm browsing my Goodreads shelves only to realise that I haven't written a Harry Potter review. Not a single one. So, I decided to start with the first Harry Potter book I ever read, the one that took me to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and made me believe that magic is something tangible.
“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good.”

I was 16 years old, and I ha
Jayson
(A) 85% | Extraordinary
Notes: Separating itself from its forebears, it’s a story of greater complexity, darker tones, and a vastly expanded mythology.
Luca Ambrosino
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ENGLISH (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) / ITALIANO

«Harry Potter was a highly unusual boy in many ways.For one thing, he hated the summer holidays more than any other time of year. For another, he really wanted to do his homework but was forced to do it in secret, in the dead of night. And he also happened to be a wizard»

Sirius Black's escape from Azkaban prison is on every wizard's lips. Not even the dreaded guards of the prison, the Dementors, managed to keep in a cage the wicked wiz

Raeleen Lemay
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, young-adult
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge: A Book Set in the Decade You Were Born

THIS WAS SO BEAUTIFUL. At first I was mad there weren't more illustrations, but I began to realize that every page was unique in its own way (mostly REALLY COOL background designs) and the chapter headers were all incredible. All in all, a super delightful read!
Navessa
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Still five stars. Love this so much. Can't review. Couldn't even take notes. Watched the movie immediately after finishing. Need next book. Wish I lived in this world. Damn you, Rowling.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I'm just going to add a few gifs and pictures from my book. Harry Potter books will always be 5 star no matter how many times they are read. (Hermione forever!)

I fell in love with S. Black in this book and I never looked back.

I'm going to add some pictures from my book, although now, I wish I would have added more but it is what it is. . . maybe later

I love these big illustrated coffee table editions of the books. It makes re-reading them an extremely fun experience. I just wish she would put t
Kai
“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

When I finished Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for the first time, it immediately became my next favourite book. J. K. Rowling outdid herself, and wrote something even bigger and better than before. And she'll keep doing it for another 4 books.

There's just nothing to criticise about book 3. Compared to the other books there's not a single scene that makes me uncomfortable, that I'd prefer
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, harry-potter
Since pretty much everyone I know has read these books, I figure reviewing them is pretty pointless. But with the new book coming out in a couple of weeks, I have to go through them beginning to end. To make the reviews more entertaining, I will be doing them in a variety of unexpected formats. For this review, I will be writing as Crookshanks fan fiction.

Crookshanks swished his tail back and forth as he crept up the stairs to the boys' bedrooms. He knew the rat wasn't what it was pretending to
Adam Silvera
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Loved it, duh. It's my favorite in the series and I'm not sure I got anything NEW out of this reread except some reminders on what a dick Snape is + how Crookshanks was MVP in getting the passwords to Sirius Black.
Grace (BURTSBOOKS)
I don't know what to say other than I love this book. I loved learning more about Harry's parents. I loved Harry, Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, and everyone else. I loved the storyline and how every single seemingly pointless detail somehow ended up meaning something to the bigger story and how I was left completely in shock. I loved the introduction of divination and I loved Sirius. I love love love this series. Superb storytelling. I AM IN LOVE😍
Saniya
Oct 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of-course, this book was EPIC! =D
Its Harry Potter now. It has to be epic! *Rolling eyes but smiling widely* xD

Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
This is my favourite book in the Harry Potter series!

It marks a distinct change in tone and a maturation of the writing. As the characters grew older, the challenges they faced became more dark and intense. The plot became murkier especially in regard to Sirius and his involvement (or lack thereof) in the murders of Potter’s parents. It all just got so much better. I think this is a large part of Rowling’s success. She could have fell into a trap and continuously wrote books like the first two,
James Lafayette  Tivendale
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
That was awesome. I really should have read this about ten years ago when all the cool kids did. I'm enjoying this series so much and it's great I have no idea what happens next. No spoilers, please! :) x
Julie
Okay, I will admit it here, publicly, for the very first time: I've got a mad crush on Remus Lupin.

How could I not have fallen hard for a man who, by day, has the vibe of a young Pablo Neruda, and by night strips down naked and takes on werewolf form?

I mean, can you imagine having sex with this man?

Well, I have. Several times. And, as a woman who read the entire Harry Potter series as an adult, rather than a child, I could not get over my joy when the series shifted from the wonderful, but some
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
Le sigh, so magical.

So Buckbeak.
So Hermione is a badass.

description

FAVORITE moment in ever, people.

But I digress.

I've said it in both my reviews for the first and second HP books, but I'll say it again here...In fact, lemme just copy/paste what I said in review #1 to save us all some time (typing for me and possible link clicking for you):

I have a confession to make.

I have never read Harry Potter.

description

Yes, yes, I know...this is akin to reader sacrilege.

But I just had no interest in these books when the
Mohammed Arabey
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
عندما بدأت هذا الجزء كنت متخوفا من أن اجد أحداث مشابهة للجزئين السابقين..ولكني كنت مخطئا
كلب اسود غريب يظهر لهاري وحده يسبب له الفزع، إنه نذير الشؤم

يبدأ هاري عامه الدراسي بأغرب الاحداث..ويقابله وزير السحر ويقدم إستثناء خاص لهاري غير متوقع

مجرم وقاتل هارب من ازبكان..له ماض سئ مع عائله هاري بوتر..ينجح في التسلل للمدرسة ويسبب فزعا كبيرا

لم يستطع احد الامساك به برغم حراسة المدرسة بحراس أفظع من المجرمين نفسهم..يبثون الرعب في التلاميذ..بالاخص هاري

مدرس الدفاع ضد السحر الأسود هذه المرة هو الأفضل..إلا إنه ي
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
Brina
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: j-k-rowling, rereads
Harry Potter for me is like warm apple pie and vanilla ice cream. It is the ultimate comfort read. This must have been at least the 10th time I've read it but I have lost track. The theme I can take out of this particular book especially after reading it all these times is hope. Harry largely naive for most of the first three books, meets Sirius for the first time and his world changes. For ever so briefly he thinks he can leave the Dursleys for good and live entirely in the wizarding world. Of ...more
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
OKAY. This book was fantastic! I can't get over how everything just fell into place perfectly. Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite of the series so far which is actually a surprise since Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was my least favorite movie growing up.

But reading and watching the movie truly is a different experience. Even though I've seen the movies repeatedly year after year, I was still on my toes while I was turning the pages of my book. It was like I was seeing all of this for
Chelsea Humphrey
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Sam (Clues and Reviews)
I guess you can tell from my rating that this wasn't my all-time favorite HP installment, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. I remember thinking that the movie was about a 3/5 star rating for me when I first saw it, but now that I've experienced the novel version, I can see how the ending in the book is so much more detailed and excellent than how they chose to portray the ending in the movie. Obviously I live for any appearance of the Weasley twins, and I was so excited to get to the book that ...more
Nayra.Hassan
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
سباعية هاري بوتر هي افضل ما قرأته عن الامومة على الاطلاق حتي يومنا هذا
كانت {ليلي بوتر }هي الغائبة الحاضرة و البطلة المطلقة التي منحت ابنها هاري الحياة..مرة ..لا مرتين ..لا لا بل عشرات المرات..

ظهورها كان عذبا" رفيقا" خاطفا" لقلوبنا جميعا ♡
احببناها طفلة و صبية و ام
لا يجب ان ناخذ تضحيتها بروحها كشيء مسلم به. .فهذا ليس الاختيار التلقائي لأي ام..فلو انت من المحظوظين بام مثل {ليلي } فقد ملكت الدنيا باسرها

و كل امهات السلسلة تميزوا و تالقوا وقت الجد والدة رون و اخوته الستة. .. والدة نيفيل ..حتى والدة
Beth

Third buddy read with my OTP

My god, this was gooooooooooood!. Up until now I’ve definitely enjoyed the books, but this had a darker side to the story which I really really enjoyed. I loved the fact that we got SO much more in this book. We find out more about James Potter along with; Lupin, Serius and Peter while at the school and the Marauder’s Map GIRL I LOVE IT.

We get to see lots of magical aspe
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Speak
  • Other Worlds
  • White Oleander
  • Touching Darkness (Midnighters, #2)
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume  #2
  • First Test (Protector of the Small, #1)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain, #4)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Witch Week (Chrestomanci, #3)
  • Haunted (The Mediator, #5)
  • The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)
  • The King of Attolia (The Queen's Thief, #3)