Start by marking “Breeders (Breeders, #1)” as Want to Read:
Breeders (Breeders, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

(Breeders Trilogy #1)

How far would you go? If human society was genuinely at risk, how cruel and heartless would our conscience allow us to be, in order to preserve humanity? If you thought the only means of preserving humanity was to capture, imprison and breed humans against their will - would you sanction it?

Ariet has been taken from her family, drugged and removed against her will to a se
Kindle Edition, 1, 216 pages
Published May 13th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Breeders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breeders

Start your review of Breeders (Breeders, #1)
Martyn Stanley
May 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, the bad.

'Breeders: Trilogy' is written in the first person. I don't warm to first person narrative generally. I found the first chapter, covering Areit's life in quadrant four rather flat somehow and uninteresting.

However, I fought through the first person narrative and when she gets whisked away to join the 'Breeders Program' the pace and the intrigue really picked up! It quickly became fast-paced, exciting and thoroughly readable. I found the overall theme fascinating and frighte
Trekscribbler
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Logan’s Run. The Hunger Games. The Island. What do those titles have in common? First, they’re science fiction. Second, as science fiction, they each tinker in the world of tomorrow where the ruling elite are engaging in some nefarious behavior right under everyone else’s collective noses. Third – and this is essentially what’s most important to those of us either reading or watching from the outskirts – once the mask comes off and the jig is up, that’s when the real story starts. Why? Because c ...more
Tortla
Aug 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too many distracting typos, misplaced modifiers, strange word choices, and formatting snafus (at least in my free digital version...). And the pacing was too fast. Too much telling (rather than showing) and generally rushed pacing. Characters' motivations were virtually nonexistant, and the world read as unbelievable. More like a draft, a sketch of the satire that this dystopian story could have become with more work. (And I'm not sure I agree with that satirical message...)
Alexandra Bayer
Ariet lives in a new world, isolated from the disease and wars of the Old World. Her routine is the same every day, save for when her whole family gets medical testing. Even this is fairly usual, though; that is, until she's kidnapped from her family and forced to become a breeder. Ariet has a unique gene that the Creators force her to carry on with a child. Thrust into a scary situation, she must marry and reproduce with a man she'd never met before, while her family believes her to be dead. I ...more
Tim
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dull and boring but short enough to read. The author can put a sentence together and the dialog is OK.

The problem with the book is two-fold. First, no tension. The reader just can't get into the story because there is no "What's going to happen next?" Things just go along. It it were a show TV, it would be one that you did something else while watching and looked up at in once in a awhile to see if it got interesting, and then back to whatever else you were doing, until the credits started to r
☾Aby ♌Kade☽
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those of you who'd like an okay short read
*ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange of an honest review*
3★★★ REVIEW

I WAS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO READING THIS BOOK WHEN I FIRST READ THE SYNOPSIS
description

Here's the thing:
I did not like Ariet.
I did not like Mason.
I did not like Thor.
Truth be told none of the characters really drew me in.
Maybe if Ariet was a little less...I don't know bitchy? Complaining? and more understanding of the fact that Mason was forced into this just like she was.
I liked what the book was about but it's obvious to me
Patty Blaney
I really wanted to give to give this more then 3 stars. The premise and plot was so promising. I felt like the Characters were somewhat flat and could have been better developed. As far as dystopian books are concerned there are definitely better ones out there. This book does leave a cliffhanger of sorts at the end and I felt like the "cliffhanger" didn't make sense based on what we knew of the "old world" I will probably read the next one just to find out what happens and hoping there will be ...more
Bonnie Calhoun
And by finished I mean I'm really finished! The story was mildly entertaining although the protagonist whined enough to get on my last nerve up until maybe the last two chapters of the book. And then just as I was getting into it...IT ENDED! No explanation, no wrap up, no actual ending! And the main character didn't even get the last word.

Well if that's supposed to be a cliff-hanger ending to get me to buy the next book...all it did was tick me off! I won't be reading any further in this series.
Dianna
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book ends abruptly but the storyline is very interesting and is set in a futuristic dystopian setting where people are expected to breed at 21 and a genetic breeding program works to develop certain genetic traits. I imagine the story will continue well once the rest of the trilogy comes out. I just hate it though when I am left hanging like this. I do not mind a trilogy or a series of books but it seems like a TRICK when each book does not wrap up a little to a reasonable ending. CLIFF HANGER a ...more
Alicia Huxtable
This book is very interesting. Ariet is taken from her medical with her family and forced to become a breeder after a gene is discovered. Being a breeder means she's too procreate with another suitable partner to create offspring with the genes the scientists are looking for.
Unfortunately for her and her new partner Mason, they discover things aren't as nice as they thought and take matters into their own hands.
Well written, only have it 3 stars cause it was a short book but it was a good shor
Liquid Frost
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
I started reading this book then read three other books before coming back, so that should be an indicator of where I'm going with this review. Below, there are no spoilers as you can glean enough of the story from the book description.

Quigley's "Breeders (The Breeder Trilogy Book 1)" has a great premise: Humans survive a world-collapsing plaque and continues as a species by methodically, through genetics and Orwellian control, matching partners to populate the next generation. You have a cold,
Sandra "Jeanz"
Nov 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved it! When can I have more please?

INITIAL THOUGHTS
To be totally truthful I have two books with similar titles and ended up reading this one first by mistake, but it turned out to be a great mistake . .
I was looking forward to learning more about what sounded a complex yet highly interesting dystopic society.

MY THOUGHTS
The cover of this book features the main female character of Ariet, and also a genetic marker too, which is a very brief gist of what the book is about. Ariet lives
Joetta Spurling
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
What would we do to save the human race? And would we destroy our humanity in the process?
This is the story of a 21 year old woman taken from her family and made to breed with a man she does not know. Now 3 months pregnant she runs to save the life of her child. What does she find? I enjoyed this book so much I could not put it down. I'm going to rent book 2 NOW!!!!!

Help I'm lost in my Kindle and I can't find my way out
Rachel
Oct 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian, kindle, 2014
First published at Elle's 411 on YA Books

Describe this book in one sentence- A spin off of every dystopian novel you've ever read... plus some shady stuff with human breeding.

Rating- PG-13

Why this rating? - Kissing scenes, intense situations of the romantic kind, and violence/death.

For ages- 15+

Recommended to- Fans of The Hunger Games, Divergent, and the movie "The Island".

Stars- One and a half out of five.

Why this number of stars- A half a star was automatically deducted for not being one of my
Terrence
Breeders was an enjoyable read for me, somewhat more so because I recently took a high-school biology class and understood a bit about genes!

The setting is certainly interesting, a not so bad dystopian future where life is actually pretty swell as long as you follow regulations. By carefully planning out how people reproduce, this government creates idealistic "superior" people, which is a pretty cool concept.

However, the setting is really the one thing that kept me interested in this book. Othe
Liquid Frost
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014

Heather
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*spoilers by recap.

Ok so yes its a new take on life after almost human extinction. This New World is all about genetics and breeding "experimenting" to create the results they are hoping for..a baby with the right genes.

Daily urine samples and weekly physical exams are a way of life in the quadrants. This goes on until they turn 21 then you have a year to find your own mate/partner before one is selected for you by they "creators".

Unless of course you have a certain something that set
Jenna
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love the cover it's perfect for this book.

Ariet is going to one of her weekly controls when she is drugged and abducted by the medical center.
Her family is told that she is sick. Ariet is chosen to become a breeder, for a genetic program that is run by the government.

Mason is also chosen for this program and together with Ariet they are forced to re- produce. The combination of them both makes the ideal human.

Ariet is heartbroken by all of this, she is names breeder and lost her identity. All
Maranda  @ Melange of Reviews
2/5 stars
You can find all my reviews here

Where to start…This one was actually really enjoyable and an interesting dystopia though my rating might suggest otherwise. I couldn’t convince myself to recommend the book as is though. First, it’s in first person which some people love but for me it just makes the story harder to warm up to. Second, as other reviewers mentioned it has several inconsistencies and grammar mistakes. Third, Ariat was an annoying and selfish character. Usually I can handle t
Mindy
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, free on Amazon at the time, was better than I anticipated. I definitely felt for Ariet and her predicament. She loses all freedom and isn't allowed a choice really in anything. She even loses her name and is made a number.

The pacing, I feel, needs a little work. There were areas that needed not last as long as they did, and areas of Ariet's struggles that were glossed over that could have helped me relate to her more as a character. I also feel that every other character (Mason, Thor
April
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually enjoyed this read! What would you be capable of if your life had been changed, you became captive and were forced to be breed for the better good? Ariet was taken from her home declared dead to her family and forced into a breeding program that could mean her life if she does not obey. Yes the ending is a bit of a cliff hanger but not that bad really. this is a series what do you expect.I would reccomend this read to anyone over the age of 14.
Gil
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of dystopian novels.
What originally attracted me to this book were the subject matter, and Ms. Quigley's credentials as a scientist. She doesn't disappoint!
By chapter 3, I was hooked. Ms. Quigley is a talented writer who creates believable characters and scenes that leave you wanting more. Great first book! Well done, or as we say in Gàidhlig "sin thu fhèin!"
Michelle McPherson
Breeders: Breeders 1

It seems the more I read dystopian bass on things like genesis, the more I feel like a good portion of scientists are missing a humanity chip. These Utopian style societies all generally less to a good portion of society being clueless about what really happens at the top. It very much reminds me of today's society.
Morgan
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was just ok. The story was flat and made random jumps. The characters were also flat and boring. The authors writing style was very choppy making it unenjoyable to read at parts. I enjoyed it somewhat but it definitely could have been better.
Juliana fern
Jul 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book downloaded it to my kindle and read it in two days a real page turner can not wait for book 2 and 3 I want to see if Ariet and manson get back together and what happened to Ariets family alot of questions that are running trough my mind keeping this one in my library
Rachel Wilson

Breeders

Interesting story. Annoying grammar issues throughout and many inconsistencies, especially with the timeline. At some points it seemed as though the author was in a hurry to get done and allowed the flow to suffer.
Chris
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My free downloaded edition had many typos and grammatical errors. The book is entertaining but unless you are willing to buy and read part 2 and 3, it ends at a place that doesn't feel like the end. Quick read is my best compliment.
Elizabeth Delahoussaye
At first i thought it would be a weird book, turns out i was right very very weird. it was a good book i was very surprised at how good it was cant wait for the next one. very well written and detailed, this book kept my attention from beginning to end
Abigail
Jul 27, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-a-big-fan
I don't even know what to say about this.
Nancy
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting concept. I am waiting to see how the author develops it in the rest of the trilogy.

• The Blemished (Blemished, #1)
  • In Skates Trouble (Chicago Rebels, #0.5)
  • Banded (Banded, #1)
  • Jaxson (Riverwise Private Security, #1)
  • Gates of Hell
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Disenchanted (Disenchanted, #1)
  • Open Your Legs For My Family (The Initiation 2, #1)
  • The Initiation: A Bundle of 5 stories
  • Bend Over For My Family (The Initiation 2, #2)
  • Breeding Ground
  • I'll Be Hot for Christmas (Assignment, #2)
  • Tall, Dark and Kilted
  • Kiltnapped (Kilt, Kilty, Kilted 1)
  • Asking For a Friend (Boyfriend Material #1)
  • Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
  • Dirty Sexy Scot (Under the Kilt, #6)
  • Acting on Impulse (Love on Cue, #1)
Ashley is Sydney based author whose book interests lie in psychological romance, medical and thriller fiction. She also enjoys romantic comedy books and widely supports Indie authors.

Breeders Trilogy (3 books)
  • Refugees (Breeders, #2)
  • Fusion (Breeders, #3)