Start by marking “A Dredging in Swann (The Seb Creek Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dredging in Swann (The Seb Creek Mysteries #1)

A Dredging in Swann

(The Seb Creek Mysteries #1)

Two investigations start at the same time in Swann County, North Carolina, one by the FBI, the other by the sheriff. The feds want to know who stole three Stinger missiles during a helicopter crash. The sheriff wants to know who hung a black ex-con in a well.

Seb Creek, a sheriff's detective, gets involved in both investigations and fights through lies, secrets, and murder
Published January 28th 2020 by Blackstone

To ask other readers questions about A Dredging in Swann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dredging in Swann

Start your review of A Dredging in Swann (The Seb Creek Mysteries #1)
Keith Chawgo
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garvin’s new novel A Dredging in Swann is an interesting book that rounds out its characters in a small town in North Carolina. The first couple of chapters are quite staccato but it finds its flow after this point to immense the reader into the workings of this small town.

Lulling the reader into the quiet surrounds of Swann County, we are introduced to a murder that has a more complex reasoning than first envisioned. Written in the third person, the story jumps back and forth from Seb Creek, th
Marian
Mar 07, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tim-garvin
Got about a third way through the book and had to give it up. Very slow moving, boring.
Sue
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I mystery with heart and depth. Loved it. I can’t wait for the second one to be released.
Dickensfan
May 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A procedural with heart

A couple of mysteries, a new and one many years old,
A detective who is falling in love, a bit about racial injustice...the characters are what make this. It has an easy tone. My main dislike of procedural is they move dislike a case. But I will look for other books by Garvin.
Robert D Shecterle
What a great character

I am a big fan of murder mysteries with a strong lead. This intelligent, empathetic flawed character touched me like few others. A complete experience. Thank you.
John Machata
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A seriously good book. I was awed by writing- nothing was forced. The author set the scene cleanly and the characters came alive in a real North Carolina. This police procedural mirrors how law enforcement really works- one clue at at time adding up to a theory of how the crime was committed. Mr. Garvin's description of a trailer park pleasure palace where a hot tub, alcohol, drugs and sex could be had for a price penciled in a bit of Americana. The love interest back drop felt just right comple ...more
Indre
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Part police procedural, part military/veteran survival story.

The police detective Seb gets called into a murder of recently released, falsely accused inmate. The victim was given a large sum of money as an inheritance from unrelated woman and the circumstances of his death are questionable.
That same night two military helicopters crash, and some missiles go missing.

Now what seems two unrelated events are told from two different POVs, and as investigation goes on we get the mystery of an old m
John Rumery
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Probably closer to a four star review, but I will give it five for it's heart.

Refreshing take on a tough guy, ex-Marine, detective. This dude is a singer, poet, suffers from PTSD, has the benefits (insights) of a near death experience and treats his co-workers, friends and subordinates with kindness and empathy.

He does have a temper, is tenacious, smart and clever. So he manages to get the sh*t done, solve mysteries and catch the bad guys but does it in a really laid-back, cool hand Luke, soul
Heather L
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read. It was engaging and kept my attention. That and I learned about Venus Flytraps, who knew?! Two events occur at the beginning that set the stage for the rest of the book. A black man who had spent 48 years in prison is released and inherits money, a house and land. Not long after he is murdered. The other event involves two military helicopters, they are returning from a drill when one of the helicopters accidently loses its load – several loaded Stinger missiles and a launc ...more
Shari Stinton
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read

This book was a little hard to read. It jumped and jumbled. However as I began to read and wondered if it was worth the effort I realized it had grabbed me and I had to continue he reading. I couldn't wait to see how Seb would solve the cass. This was a very good dead. Can't wait to read another one.
Laura Poppenwimer
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a great mystery, plots and subplots that seem to weave in many directions while coming together to a cohesive conclusion. The writing style is east to read, characters are well developed and believable. This was a hard book to put down and never dragged in any parts.
Barbara Schweitzer
Hard to follow the complex plot, but interesting characters and a hard-boiled approach. At least I learned something about Venus fly trap poachers! The setting is different and it took me away to another world for a few hours.
Camisa
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story and Seb grew on me as the tale continued. I will be interested in future adventures along the North Carolina coast.
Delores Alger
No rating as after a few chapters I could not get interested in the story.
Judith Pollack
May 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True Literature

Excellent story and great characters. Reminisent of Steinbeck and Faulkner. Well worth reading; looking forward to next in series. Author to follow.
Alice
Aug 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
North Carolina mystery

Rambling.
Several issues--murder, wrongful imprisonment, Federal vs state vs local police departments, family love and conflict, post war trama, revenge

Heath
Jul 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful writing. Very moving and deep and real. It’s “just” a mystery, but it is a joy to read. Highly recommend. (It captures some of the North Carolina flavor, too!)

Mark Anthony
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review posted at BookBrowse: https://www.bookbrowse.com/mag/review... ...more
Susan
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Seb Creek is a detective with a tendency to let violence creep out. He is working on his PTSD with a group of singers with the same problem. He inherits a murder case that has definite ties to a murder 40 years past. So to find one murderer he must find two?? Interesting first novel.
jennet wheatstonelllsl
Jan 14, 2021
Kenneth R Kavanaugh
Mar 01, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Hardcover format of book needs to be added 2 25 Dec 27, 2019 01:59PM
Adding new book and cover 1 2 Dec 11, 2019 11:01AM

• A Long Petal of the Sea
  • The Absinthe Earl (The Faery Rehistory, #1)
  • The Old Religion
  • We Are Monsters
  • Ash
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
  • The Tenant (Korner and Werner, #1)
  • The Dark Continent (Prometheus Man #2)
  • Love Lettering
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • The Sentence is Death (Detective Daniel Hawthorne #2)
  • A Marvelous Life: The Amazing Story of Stan Lee
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Hide Away (Rachel Marin Thriller #1)
  • Child's Play