Start by marking “Treasures of the Snow” as Want to Read:
Treasures of the Snow

Treasures of the Snow

A story of vicious revenge and hard repentance

Annette and Lucien are enemies. After Annette gets Lucien into trouble at school, he decides to get back at her by threatening the most precious thing in the world to her: her little brother Dani. But tragedy strikes. Annette is so filled with rage thatshe sets out to alienate and humiliate Lucien at every turn. As Lucien seeks
Audible Audio, 6 pages
Published 2005 (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Treasures of the Snow, please sign up.
Syd Carp A small white, skinny, Christmas cat.…moreA small white, skinny, Christmas cat. (less)
Karen I read that is was written for ages 8 and up. I read this book to my children when they were in the upper elementary grades and we all enjoyed it.…moreI read that is was written for ages 8 and up. I read this book to my children when they were in the upper elementary grades and we all enjoyed it. Patricia St. John is one of those authors that tells stories that people of all ages will enjoy. (less)

Start your review of Treasures of the Snow
Natalie Vellacott
I love this Christian book that I read as a child and re-read recently. Annette decides that she will never forgive Lucien for hurting her brother Dani. And so she begins a revenge campaign involving many other people in their small community. But her hatred consumes her and she ends up hating herself for what she has become. This is an account of the power of forgiveness even when it seems impossible.

Recommended for children and teenagers.
Keren
This book has 26 chapters and is the perfect Christmas book. My family read this out loud as every December. Starting on December first, my mother would read one chapter aloud to us every night. After we opened presents on Christmas day, we would lie around listening to the end of the story. Even though my brothers and I knew the story inside and out, it's description of sin and forgiveness, and the loving grace of God was still beautiful every time. I can remember my mom starting to cry (every ...more
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful story for both the young and old about forgiveness and the power of Jesus in our lives. The setting was charming.
Cori
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh! I forgot about this book! It was one of my favorites when I was little. I loved the details about Lućien learning to carve and when he cut through the mountain pass in the snow.
JD Sutter
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was just as charming this time as when I first read it in school as a child!
Amy
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, religious, 2011
I wish this book was easier to come by. Although it's had some relatively recent printings ("relative" meaning in the last 15-20 years), I know it will never be a popular book. With it's decidedly Christian agenda, I'm sure it's far too preachy for the general public. At times, it was a bit sermon heavy for me, too, but really, the story was good enough that I could endure a bit of sermonizing.

Within the plot are three stories/layers of forgiveness: the girl who smashes the boy's horse in an act
Dave Milbrandt
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book as a child and wanted to re-read it as an adult to remind myself why it was so wonderful back then. To be fair, as an adult reader and now a novelist, I can tell you its simple structure and straightforward message is woefully out of place in today's modern world of ambiguity and flawed anti-heroes.

That having been said, that I think is the charm of the book. It is a reminder of a world that was more innocent and simpler. The book believes redemption is better than
Brenda
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We read this as a family and all enjoyed it. My only serious complaint are the few spots they author teaches kids that God promises to always protect them and never let anything bad happen to them. That is totally unBiblical. It did provide a chance for us to stop the reading and talk about that issue, which is good.
ryan z
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After I have read this book, I noticed the theme is the innocence of childhood. They do not know about jealousness nor hatred.

The author used the story of a young girl and a boy, Annette and Lucien, letting God Jesus in and allowing him to love everyone. "But it is hard, after what he'd done." -Annette. Yes, it is a hard progress to forgive someone for their grave mistakes. But I believe that everyone should be forgiven at some point. Everyone had made mistakes and asked for forgiveness, it's a
PaperTigerMaddy
Jan 09, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have strong memories of disliking this book as a child, largely due to its utterly vile heroine. I spent the entire book with an almost uncontrollable desire to give Annette a massive slap for essentially doing all she can to ruin Lucien's life.

Unfortunately, my hatred for her made it impossible for me to enjoy the book and so I fail to remember what merits (if any) it actually has.
Connie
This is a great book for parents and children to read together with opportunity for discussion.

The Goodreads description calls it “a story of vicious revenge and hard repentance” and that it is. It clearly shows that we are born inclined to sin. BUT there is a solution to the darkness that resides in us: Christ’s sacrificial love “drives out darkness and brings forgiveness and reconciliation” (a GoodReads reviewer).

I disagree with Grandma who, in her mostly wise, godly counsel, says that God
Faith Spinks
A childhood classic re visited after my nephew read it and loved it. I still loved it just as much as I did as a child.
Nelleke Plouffe
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this aloud to my 9, 5, and 3-year-old boys. We all enjoyed it.
Carolyn Page
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A lovely Christian children's book that inspires a lot of nostalgia in me, as the radio drama was standard fare every Christmas on VCY America.
Rachel
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, religion
When we want to illuminate a dark room, we do not try to chase away the darkness before letting in the light. We simply open the window, and the light comes in. And when the light comes in, the darkness disappears. In the same way, we should not try to cast out the fear and anger in our hearts by sheer will and before we accept love and forgiveness. "Perfect love casts out fear." That is what I learned from this book.
It is a beautiful and convincing story, and it means a great deal to me.
Jennifer Trzeciak
We had some wonderful discussions as a family after we finished on what a life belonging to Christ looks like. Such an excellent book, and I already can't wait to read this one again once my littlest kiddos get a bit older.
Kathy
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second time I've read the book- this time with the boys. The first time I read it, I loved it! This time I noticed the theology that is most emphasized is quite off. The aging grandmother repeatedly said "perfect love casts out fear" and then continued to discuss how God would never allow bad things or danger to happen to us when we love him. I think this was spoken at least 5 times throughout the book. It brought about some good conversation with the boys about this theological error.
Drennan
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our family loved this book!! I have had many teaching opportunities come up in the weeks following reading Treasures of the Snow where I was able to reference the book to teach a principle to my children.
Alicia
This may be a children's book but it hits on some hard truths, in the format of a very enjoyable and beautiful story (set in Switzerland, which makes it even better). I loved it!
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a poetic rich winter read, full of snowy whimsy and the powerful message forgiveness and redemption. I thoroughly enjoyed this.
Lisa
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book: another superb Christmas tradition.
Sara Arrigoni
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book. I remembered it as being important to me as a child, and on revisiting it I see why. Full of biblical truths that I have not seen in current fiction.
ladydusk
Own. Sister recorded as audio-book for the children.

We enjoyed listening to this book as a family. Please excuse any errors I make in spelling names.

The story of Lucien, Annette, and Danny was compelling and well told. The thoughts and motives of the children were explored in depth and clear. The obvious sin of Lucien; the not-as-obvious, easy to ignore sin of Annette; and Danny's selfishness were delved into, rooted out, and exposed to the light of the work of Christ.

The story, itself, had a
Christina Pilkington
I had listened to this on audio book when I was about 7 or 8 year olds. I still remember being sucked into the story, drawn into this beautiful world, and feeling like I was a part of it. It was magical.

When I bought this book to read to my own kids this past month, I was a little afraid it wouldn't live up to that same magical quality I imagined the book held. Lots of other books I've read when I was a small child just aren't the same when I read them as an adult- they've lost all their magic.
Anna
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A wonderful read-aloud with the kids. Patricia St. John shows us the darkness that resides in even children's hearts and the power of Christ's love to drive out that darkness and bring forgiveness and reconciliation. Do be aware that the current in-print edition of this book has been "adapted" (i.e. dumbed down), so search out an older used edition. There was no need to tamper with this well-written story - even my five-year-old enjoyed it.
Cheyenne N
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a really good Christian book that I would recommend to everyone!
Jurgen
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read this again to my daughter. I read it twice when I was in middle school.
Charming story with very strong, albeit the controversial JudeoChristian value system (nothing wrong with that!).
Demetrius Rogers
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kids, fiction
What a heart-warming, wholesome, and edifying book to go through with your kids. Many opportunities to stop and discuss life lessons. Very glad to have picked this one up. Highly recommended.
Tokesy2000
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Tokesy2000 by: My church
An absolutely brilliant read, very interesting and well paced. It gives out a fantastic message of forgiveness, even for the non-christian reader. Although it is a Christian novel, its message of forgiveness and making up is one that everybody could benefit from, especially in todays world. The chracters are very likeable and relatable as I think we all have a little Lucien and a little Annette in us

Patricia St. John kept me enthralled in her book with her beautiful descriptions of the village
Tanya Marlow
Set in Switzerland, this classic children’s Christian book tells the story of Lucien, who causes a tragic accident, and Annette, who is determined to punish him for his crimes forever. What I love is that although the story is ‘safe’ for children to read and ultimately has a happy ending, it is heart-wrenchingly real about the cost of forgiveness and repentance. It doesn’t patronise the reader by lessening the emotional journey, and all the characters feel utterly real. It’s more slow-moving ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
  • The Basket of Flowers: A Tale for the Young
  • George Muller: The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans (Christian Heroes: Then & Now)
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • In Grandma's Attic (Grandma's Attic, #1)
  • Girls' Club: Cultivating Lasting Friendship in a Lonely World
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • The Bronze Bow
  • Amos Fortune, Free Man
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • Just David
  • Standing in the Light: The Captive Diary of Catharine Carey Logan, Delaware Valley, Pennsylvania, 1763 (Dear America)
  • Tilly
  • Stepping Heavenward
  • The Cat of Bubastes: A Tale of Ancient Egypt
  • The Hedge of Thorns
  • The Master Puppeteer
  • Saved at Sea
Patricia Mary St. John spent 27 years as a dedicated missionary to North Africa - and was also a prolific children's writer. Her books are loved and treasured around the world; some have been turned into stirring films. Gripping adventures which cover real life issues are her hallmark.
“Your skill can never buy you love. It may win you admiration and envy, but never love. If that was what you were after, you have wasted your time.” 8 likes
“God is love, and when we pray we are drawing near to love, and all our hatred must melt away like the snow melts when the sun shines on it in spring. Leave Lucien to God, Annette. He rewards both good and evil, but remember, He loves Lucien just the same as He loves Dani.” 5 likes