Start by marking “Dear Girl” as Want to Read:

Dear Girl

From a poet and celebrated spoken-word performer comes a debut poetry collection that takes readers on an empowering, lyrical journey exploring truth, silence, wounds, healing, and the resilience we all share.

Dear Girl is a journey from girlhood to womanhood through poetry
It is the search for truth in silence
The freeing of the tongue
It is deep wounds and deep healing
And t
Published April 7th 2020 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dear Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Girl

Start your review of Dear Girl
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
True love. For a book. And that too a poetry collection. And that too for uplifting girls aand women. And that too with a powerful voice.

I am so impressed with this collection that I am going to recite this one line by line to the girls and women who need empowerment or not (they won't mind I guess!) because we women need to empower ourselves from time to time like we need to take bath, go the toilet or eat food from time to time as basic requirements.

No, I am not being sarcastic here, damn. Thi
Michelle
Dear Girl is not something that I would typically pick up, but between the pink cover ( my favorite color) and Netgalley’s new audiobook feature, I felt like I couldn’t pass it up. In 2020 I am striving to branch out into a multitude of genres, poetry being one of them.

“You’re cruelty is no match for my spirit.” I need to remind myself of this daily. Sometimes all it takes is one simple act of another to bring me to my knees.

For being quite short, this book produces an impactful punch to the g
Beatrice Masaluñga
Aug 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, poetry
ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review.

When you're feeling down, read this poetry collection. It's meant to uplift your spirit and to remind yourself that you're more than enough. You don't need to seek validation from anyone. We, as women, should unite and support each other. It's a promising debut poetry collection.
Jessica Kafka | JustReadingJess
Dear Girl is a poetry collection with advice to girls. This poetry collection supports feminism. It mentions important issues like rape, racism, and gender.

This is my first time listening to a poetry book on audio and I know it will not be my last. Dear Girl was quick listen and I really enjoyed it.

The narration by the author, Aija Mayrock was wonderful. You could feel her feelings through the words and hear the emotion in her voice.

Thank you netgalley and Andrews McMeel Audio for providing Dear
Antonella
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
audiobook

well my NetGalley app decided that this book will restart from the beginning over and over again...after spending the whole day trying to solve the issue I decided to find this as an ebook and read it because at this point I was " I will read this book damnit"

so read as ebook...

this is a great poetry collection
with a strong female voice that inspires!!

if you are searching for timely, feminist short poetry collection- this is it!!
Sleepless Dreamer
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Before I start this review, I feel like we should all take a moment to acknowledge the poet who wrote this is 19 years old. I mean, what the heck? Why are people that are younger than me reaching success in life, who said this is fair? I feel like I'm very near to reaching my quarter life crisis.

In any case, I wish I could like this book more. Dear Girl follows the rupi kaur trend of short poems meant to empower women, meant to be posted on instagram and look pretty. Now, it's worth noting that
Chantal
Sep 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, audiobook, art
This book was empowering and touching. Some poems were highly relatable and inspiring for women. When you're feeling down, read this collection of poetry. Uplifting for all females.

Emma☀️
Empowering and touching. Some poems were highly relatable and inspiring for women. However, some of them seemed a bit too generic. I felt like I have read that poem before in another poetry collection. This prevented me from connecting to them emotionally.

I am not really a fan of free verse but I found the poems quite impactful. However, some poems did sound like motivational sayings rather than poetry. Poetry is entirely subjective of course, so if you love free verse I recommend you try this c
Andrea Pole
Feb 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Dear Girl is the debut poetry collection from Aija Mayrock, and it is sharp, on point and, ultimately, empowering. The poems are brief, yet each resonated with me in a significant way, and I was left breathless by the strength and profundity that is packed into each carefully chosen word. Essentially, this collection is a call for women to rise up and be heard. Mayrock's is a voice that will continue to pierce our consciousness for a long time to come.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Andrews McMeel
Chloe (Always Booked)
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, poetry
This was SUCH a good poetry collection about feminism and teaching girls their worth! As the mom of girls I loved it and found it so inspiring! Highly highly recommend!
Carrie
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Staying true to the book, my review will be in poetry form.

Dear Girl,

A collection of poetry
to bring you to tears.
Some you feel
Some you might never know,
while wishing you did.
I found myself clapping,
shouting yes this is true.
Rivers forming in my eyes
because I have worn these shoes.

****

Aija Mayrock's poems will connect
all women kind to another.
We have fought,
we have cried.
This our truth.
We must love each other,
love ourselves,
speak out for one another,
hold the candle,
hold the door.
Scream
Jonna Kristina
Aug 15, 2020 rated it liked it
thanks to the publisher and netgalley for providing me with this advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.

"you might believe the words you speak are weak,
but the echoes of words
can start revolutions."

dear girl, as the author describes perfectly, is "a journey from girlhood to womanhood through poetry. it is the search for truth in silence, the freeing of the tongue, it is deep wounds and deep healing and the resilience that lies within us. it is a love letter to sisterh
Taylor Knight
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dear Girl is one of the best poetry collections I've read in a long time. I've picked up quite a few poetry books the past month or so and Dear Girl really stands out from the rest. The poems are all very well written, super powerful. I feel like a good deal of poetry books have filler poems, but I didn't come upon any poems in Dear Girl that seemed like fillers or noticeable lesser quality. The whole book was very consistent in quality and I loved that.
Koushiki Chowdhury
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, audiobook
Dear Girl 💝
"Dear girl,
You ask me what I wish for you.
I simply say -
Never allow any soul to clip your wings
You were not born a ember,
You were born a flame."
Thank you @netgalley and AndrewsMcmeel Publishers for giving me this review ARC!
Dear Girl is everything a person needs to hear from their loved one, their friends, family, lover, teacher, everyone ... But yet we only get to know it from Aija Mayrock 's heart-touching words✨
I agree this wasn't something revolutionary, not something no one has
Muskan | The Quirky Reader
The book is a collection of poems which act as a conversation, a cry and a ray of hope and sometimes a reprimand from the author to numerous readers.
The book covers many grounds from sexuality, body image, consent to harassment, misogyny and sexual, physical and mental abuse. It might seem like a wide scope, maybe too many issues of society crunched up into a hundred pages, but this is literally what every woman goes through every day.
There are two things that I loved about the book and which
Erika Sarutobi
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love reading poetry about women empowerment 💕

RTC
Lara Maynard
Dear Girl very much reflects the contemporary wave of feminism and #MeToo time and will resonate particularly with many young adult listeners, the demographic of the author. Aija Mayrock touches on topics like sexual harassment, rape, body image, misogyny, gender issues, intergenerational trauma, intersectional advocacy, and resilience. The strongest piece in the collection is Dear Boy.

This is not brilliant poetry. There is no shortage of clichés, though there are several strong moments of more
Booknerd_dragon (TANIA)
• Dear girl (by Aija Mayrock)

I got in this book without having any clue or any idea what this is about. 1st surprise to me was that the rhythm and beauty of short and apt poems

The beautiful lines and words were so inspiring and enlightening that it will make you feel more valuable.

Yes, that is the main point or agenda of inspiring books. But this book has it's own way of expressing the pain and overcoming them in such a compact way, being a reader and writer that was very helpful to me.

I was li
Udisha Jain (bookstacks_literature)
BOLD, DYNAMIC, POWERFUL
READING AGE- 12 AND ABOVE
MY RATING - 5/5
One of my best reads for 2020
The audiobook speaker is the same as the author if I am correct and oh my god! Such powerful voice! Dear girl is narrated so beautifully, the music in the background fits so well with the narration. Yes, it is a poetry book but something in which we all can find ourselves in. I would also like to describe it as a adress, a beautiful warning, a future to come collection of poetry. The voice was so clear an
Shirley Cuypers
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, ebooks, arc-beta, poetry
3.5/5*

Original review

This book was provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Andrews McMeel Publishing and Netgalley!

Dear Girl
is a debut poetry collection about feminism and about becoming a woman. I think it’s a good debut collection and I really like reading poems about feminism. We, women, need to stand together and fight for equality!

you were not born an ember
you were born the flame

I really liked the poems in Dear Girl because I could relate
Beatriz
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
I received an advanced reader copy of this book to read in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

This poetry collection written by Aija Mayrock is a true hymn to feminism. Her poems tell us to fly high and be proud of ourselves as women. The author talks about gender (in)equality and how that affects our daily lives. This is such a powerful book. Rating: 4/5 stars
Tanya Tate
Jul 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Received an Audio book and a Digital arc from publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Dear Girl is a set of poems dealing with the subject matter of Feminism and everything that goes with it. It almost remain of " the Witch doesn't burn in this one by Amanda Lovelace which was also about the subject matter of Feminism . This was a very quick listened and read since I read it along with listening to it. The narrator was really good since it was author of the book who was reading
I don't have a cool name
English and Spanish review (3*75*)
This was provided by netgalley as an exchange for a honest review

I think I would've enjoyed more if I had read it with my eyes (the narrator Is amazing, though) , because in the book itself I could have done annotations throughout all the book because this is precious and important.

I, as a young girl who's entering to womanhood, really loved it and appreciate it. This talks about a lot of things us women have to go through all our lives. To the difference in th
Sarah Marie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Dear Girl by Aija Mayrock

3 stars

This is a poetry collection addressed to women. It's all about women and celebrating women. It's mainly a call to action as well as a calling out in complacency of how women often allow other women to be treated. I think Mayrock is probably a fantastic spoken-word or slam poet. I would love to watch her read some of these poems. That ability shines through a lot of the poems. I personally didn't love this collection. It feels like every other collection that is ta

Francisca Pinto
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalleyarcs
I recieved this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

WOOOOOOOOOW WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK!!

Dear Girl it's a very powerful book and I need all the people, women and men, to read this book.

This is a book about all the love you can give and take, to yourself. I really think it is a very neccesary book to read. Has very powerful messages for women, for our mothers, sisters, partners, brothers, partners, fathers, with the aim of telling them that women have the same rights as everyone el
Natalie
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it

This book of poems is beautifully empowering to females everywhere no matter what race, size, shape, age or beliefs! The poems are short but reach into your core and make you really think about them, about life, about the world!
This book encourages women to support each other and believe in each other and build each other up instead of tearing each other down.
I loved every pa
Fatima Anwar
Jul 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Name: Dear Girl
Poetess: Aija Mayrock
Genre: Poetry, Feminism
Rating: 5/5
Review:
This is a collection of beautiful poetries which deals with the silence, truth, resilience shared by all womankind. It touches the string of thoughts which connects us all.
Empowering, Exciting and Enticing poetries which will touch you to the innermost core. One of the most feminist poetry book I have ever read. Her words are simple yet so breathtakingly truthful. She speaks for all of us, she touches those topics whic
Deanna
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I listened to the book on audiobook which was read by the author.

Overall I enjoyed the book, as I do most poetry. I think reading the paper copy of the book may have been more enjoyable but it was also interesting to hear the authors version with emphasis on certain portions. The majority of the poems dictated a powerful message towards women and their equality and place in the world. Some of the poems were better writte
Heather
Jul 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this poetry collection was actually extremely powerful! It was geared towards women so that we could feel empowered and confident within ourselves no matter the situation you’ve been in! I listened to the audiobook and at first it took away from it because of the double voice but, I got used to it! I definitely recommend it to anyone who would like to read or listen to it!
Samantha
Aug 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
I really enjoyed the poems read by Aija Mayrock herself as an audiobook. Her voice is so clear and emotionally empowering that I chose to rather listen to her poems than reading them. I wasn’t disappointed.

As for the poems, I loved that the topic about feminism was intersectional and included all of the feminist issues going from sexual violence and misogyny to supporting women of colour and every shape, the LGBTQ+ community and more. They sometimes remain rather general, though. At first, I fe

• My Life in Plants: Flowers I've Loved, Herbs I've Grown, and Houseplants I've Killed on the Way to Finding Myself
  • coffee days whiskey nights
  • Dirty Letters
  • In the Unlikely Event
  • Park Avenue Player
  • Here at Dawn
  • Sorry I Haven't Texted You Back
  • Alone Together: Love, Grief, and Comfort in the Time of COVID-19
  • The Most Beautiful Thing
  • Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: 100 Immigrant Women Who Changed the World
  • Mary: The Adventures of Mary Shelley's Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Granddaughter
  • A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3)
  • Stitching the Soul
  • September Love
  • Ever After
  • A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic, #2)
  • Little Secrets
  • Eighteen Inches: The Distance between the Heart and Mind
Aija Mayrock is a 19-year-old girl who experienced bullying firsthand. Instead of letting her experiences break her down, she channeled her positive energy into writing and self-publishing The Survival Guide to Bullying, where she shares the strategies that helped her survive and thrive. Aija writes about how to handle bullying, cyber bullying, dealing with fear, personal safety, and ultimately cr ...more