Start by marking “Dracula's Child” as Want to Read:
Dracula's Child

Dracula's Child

Dracula returns...

It has been some years since Jonathan and Mina Harker survived their ordeal in Transylvania and, vanquishing Count Dracula, returned to England to try and live ordinary lives. But shadows linger long in this world of blood feud and superstition - and, the older their son Quincy gets, the deeper the shadows that lengthen at the heart of the Harkers' marri
Published May 12th 2020 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Dracula's Child, please sign up.
Amanda I am over half-way through the book right now. There are several seduction scenes involving a female vampire character and another character. I would …moreI am over half-way through the book right now. There are several seduction scenes involving a female vampire character and another character. I would rate them as moderate, not overly graphic, but not suitable for younger audiences. There is suggestive material throughout. One character mentions visiting brothels and sleeping with men. (less)

Start your review of Dracula's Child
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a challenging, compelling, arduous job, the author brilliantly achieved! The continuation of a thrilling, blood chilling, one of the legendary masterpiece is presented us as if it has been written a few years after the first book’s release by the same author.

This is quite outstanding tribute to Bram Stoker’s work by keeping the same dark, claustrophobic, high tension, gothic atmosphere with very same characters.

J. S. Barnes’ writing style are so similar and loyal to the original text. You
Dannii Elle
Jonathan and Mina Harker survived their terrible vampiric ordeal and have attempted to move on with their lives, and with each other. Years have passed in relative peace but now old menaces threaten to become unearthed as new secrets and blood are spilled...

This was such a great retelling, which came with a similar prose style and epistolary accounts, as in Stoker's original Gothic text. I felt it also captured the eerie atmosphere and suspenseful narrative of the former, whilst delivering somet
Natalie
Sep 26, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This book was such a great start into the darker season! The author did a great job with the creepy vibe here. The story takes place several years after the end of Dracula. The plot although good wasn’t exceptional. The main reason why I enjoyed Dracula's Child was because it is written in the same style as Dracula, in letters and authentic writing. This feels like a really fitting successor and is a must-read for every real Dracula fan.

Thanks to Titan Books for providing me a copy of t
Lou (nonfiction fiend)
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Evil never truly dies...and some legends live forever. The dark heart of Bram Stoker's classic is reborn; capturing the voice, tone, style and characters of the original yet with a modern sensibility, this is a fitting tribute and unofficial sequel to the Bram Stoker classic. It would be preferable to have read Dracula before diving into this as there are references to the original, the characters are the same and Barnes uses the original to give his story context.

Dracula’s Child is set just ov
Jennie Damron
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible read. I was captivated from start to finish. I love Dracula and the Harker's. To see the story continue from where it left off was an absolute delight. I loved the Gothic atmosphere of writing and the dark undertones throughout the story. Mina is my favorite female character ever written. I love her strength, loyalty, devotion, and determination. It was so nice to immerse myself in a well written Vampire book. I am one satisfied reader. ...more
Bret Praxmarer
Quite simply, I LOVED this book. Thank you to Net Galley and Titan Books for sending me the ARC for this. I should preface this review by saying that Dracula is among my favorite novels of all time and I will argue that it is one of the best English language novels ever written.

This book is the PERFECT sequel to Dracula, it is written in the same style as the original. Barnes uses the same diction and writing style throughout, giving it the same feel as Stoker's novel. The characters are well do
Dana
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
"An old truth of the world is here presented: that to make a thing forbidden is to fill the souls of those who are warned against it with unquenchable thirst."

"'All over Europe,' she said, 'the shadow is falling now. we must prepare for the hour of his return."

--------------------------------------------

Dracula's Child perfectly recreates the tone and feel of Bram Stoker's original. The writing style reads like that of his own hand.  Through a series of letters, journal entries, telegrams and ne
Rod | rodsreads
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Let me tell a little secret...
I nearly gave this book a hard pass.

How dare J.S. Barnes touch my beloved Dracula?

But this was the old me trying to get in the way. The same old me that keeps squealing whenever I pick a genre other than Horror. The old me that would rather not try to read something different.

NOPE!

Screw the old me.

I decided to go for it and see what J.S. Barnes could come up with.

As I'm writing this review, I keep thinking of fancy ways to describe what the author did in this book,
Leo
Jan 13, 2021 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. A real gothic and dark twist on the Dracula story, one of the better retailings I've read. Was not fully in love with the story but it was still a very good book. ...more
Justine
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Thanks to NetGalley and Titan Books for providing an ARC!
_______________________________
I was so glad to see this book on NetGalley, I immediately asked an ARC and was really glad to receive it!
So glad because Dracula is one of my favorite books of all times and I love to read retellings like Anno Dracula or sequels like Dracula: The Undead ! I can't wait to read Dracul !

So I entered this book open, excited and just wanting to get back to my favorite characters: Mina, Jack and, o
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/10/29/...

Many authors have endeavored to write a sequel to Dracula, but very few succeed in capturing the atmosphere of the classic as well as the hearts of readers. In the case of J.S. Barnes’ Dracula’s Child, however, I was impressed. While adding to the original’s mythology, the book managed to remain a faithful homage to its style and spirit while keeping me completely enthralled.

After their harrowing ordeal in Transylvania, Jo
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I really enjoyed this, I thought the author got the tone and atmosphere of Dracula just perfect, I was just drawn by how eerie, captivating yet also disturbing at times this story was. It feels so authentic, almost like it was written by Stoker, or at least in the same era. I think this really stands up well to the original, the style is true to the original, even new characters blend in seamlessly, overall a fantastic gothic story Worthy of its namesake.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for
4cats
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
10 years have passed since the Crew of Light fought their immortal enemy Dracula and the world has moved forward into a new century. Mina and Jonathan are living in Oxfordshire with their son Quincey and maintain their friendship with Jack, Arthur and of course Abraham Van Helsing. On Quincey's 12th birthday they are all together celebrating however tragedy hits and a darkness begins to creep in to their lives.

Using the episatolry style following Stoker's Dracula, the narrative is told through m
Giulia
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic creep-filled read which felt to me that it could have been written by THE man himself-Bram Stoker. The book is filled with journal entries from most of the beloved vampire hunters (Mina and Jonathan Harker, Dr. Seward)--along with some new faces that move along the story of the evil Count and his doomed minions. Dracula's Child is filled with details which created the dark atmosphere Dracula fans should eat up. The ending was very effective and NOT what I expected.
I highly recommend f
Dana-Adriana B.
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 ⭐ are not enough.
It is truly a pleasure to meet again Stocker's team in the fight against the Count. The format of the book kept the original style, the story was told through the letters of the various characters.
Great job. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this beautiful story.
Peggy
Jul 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing
The first vampire book I read was Dracula by Bram Stoker and I have loved this genre ever since. Then last year I found Dracul by J D Barker and was another instant classic for me and now after reading this book I have a trio of classics which I know I will again and again. This story is told in a series of letters from all the main characters. This book reads as a sequel to the original Dracula. Atmospheric, gripping and thoroughly entertaining. Once again I am transported back in time to the t ...more
Kaitlyn
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A gothic, bone-chilling revival of the most infamous vampire tale of all time that may even rival the first in its delectable thirst of the gruesome and the wicked.

"Dracula's Child," by J.S Barnes is a work of literal art. Written in a similar tone and style of Bram Stoker, the tale is delivered in a series of letters, articles, and diary entries from multi-perspectives, detailing what nobody wants to admit: Dracula is back and determined to fulfill his promise of revenge. Mina and Jonathon Hark
Becky Spratford
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review in the April 2020 issue of Library Journal and on the blog: http://raforall.blogspot.com/2020/03/...

Three Words That Describe This Book: atmospheric, fast paced, epistolatory

Draft Review:

What happened after Jonathan and Mina Harker defeated Dracula in Stoker’s seminal vampire novel? Barnes ponders this question with an intriguing frame, papers released by their son, Quincey Harker, on the eve of real world doom, World War I. Like the original, this novel is told through “found” journals,
Dawie
Nov 23, 2020 rated it liked it
So this is a definite sequel to the original Dracula. It was great reading how the characters coped after their ordeal in the first story. The notes from different people telling the story was well done as in the original. One thing that grated on me was stupid some of the people were even after they know they dealt with supernatural beings before. Good job on the author’s side to pull of a book like this though.
Connie
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jonathan and Mina Harker and their close friends - Dr Seward, Lord Godalming and Professor Van Helsing - get together to celebrate Quincy Harker's 12th birthday. During the celebrations Van Helsing collapses and cries out a strange prophecy that will put all their lives in danger, before falling unconscious.
This is a good follow up to Stoker's Dracula. Written in the same epistolary style. Letters, journals and newspaper cuttings collected by Quincy Harker.
I did enjoyed this story, there's a lo
Gabbibuu
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If you liked Dracula, this is the book for you!
Throughout its entirety, it felt like an official sequel to the classic. It had the same claustrophobic and gothic ambience as Bram Stoker's work, making it an outstanding tribute. Likewise, it kept the original format, making the story unfold through letters, diary entries, news articles, telegrams, etc.
I loved the fact that we got to see the cast of characters again, a decade after the events that transpired in Dracula . Mina has alwa
Vakaris the Nosferatu
Apr 18, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: dracula
all reviews in one place:
night mode reading
;
skaitom nakties rezimu

About the Book: Upon chasing Dracula down and killing him, Mina and Jonathan Harker thought they rid their lives of the evil and can now begin the process of healing. Live their life, raise their son. But upon his death, Dracula swore revenge that’ll reach them across eons… And it seems the darkness is pooling up again.

My Opinion: The book is pretty well written, easy to read, entertaining. But at the same time it’s fill
Beverley Lee
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

This is a challenging read, but stick with all the 566 pages and you will receive a story that is so faithful to the original and to the voice of Bram Stoker that you will think it has been penned from the grave.

It's slow burn, and you must pay attention to each piece as they weave together to form a seamlessly plotted and sinister gothic tale.

Told through diary entries, newspaper cuttings and differing view points, it is set after the events in Transylvania. Dracula is dead, or so our
Seregil of Rhiminee
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Risingshadow.

J.S. Barnes' Dracula's Child is a brilliant sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's one of the best vampire novels of recent years and also one of the most compelling horror novels of the year.

Before I write more about this novel, I'll mention that I'll try to keep this review as spoiler-free as possible, because the less you know about the happenings, the more you'll enjoy the gradually unfolding dark and Gothic story.

When I heard that J.S. Barnes has written
Raquel
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Dracula’s Child is written as a direct sequel to Bram Stoker’s Dracula. It follows the same crew of light over a decade after the defeat of the Count. When they all come together to celebrate the twelfth birthday of Mina and Jonathan’s son, Quincey, disaster strikes. Van Helsing suffers something of a stroke which is only the beginning of a set of many unfortunate situations that seem reminiscent of an earlier time. On top of all of this, Quincey starts acting strange. At the same time two new c ...more
Paige
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I'm going to be honest here. I've never read Dracula, despite the fact that I've been meaning to for a while. So, all I know about the original book is bits and pieces, but we all know the story well.

J. S. Barnes has crafted a story that will haunt you. A story of how easily people can be swayed and evil can be unleashed. Using articles, memos, diaries and telegrams the story comes together slowly before becoming a pulse-raising r
Kaine Winneg
Oct 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, arcs
Karen Barber
Oct 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A creepy cover, and a must for fans for Dracula.
In this we’re asked to imagine that Dracula didn’t die, and that he has spent years plotting his revenge and planning to take over the world. The moment I saw this on NetGalley I was hoping to be approved to read it.
Set years after the events of Dracula, we pick up with Mina and Jonathan Harker learning to enjoy life with their young child, Quincey. Events early on show that they are going to have a tough time, and we get many clues that Dracula ha
Alison
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Titan books for an ARC of this in exchange for an honest review.
It's been a while since I read Dracula, but this piqued my interest after seeing reviews of it so I thought I'd give it a go.
I really liked that it stuck to the epistolary style of the original book, and it had the same dark, gothic feel to it which I was impressed by. It was good to revisit the characters and see the effect that the events of the original novel had had, an aspect that I thought was done v
Sue Blanchard
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thankyou to NetGalley, Titan Books and the author, J.S Barnes, for the opportunity to read an advanced readers copy of Dracula's Child in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I was excited at the prospect of reviewing this book. I loved Dracula when I was younger, so I was looking forward to this read. Such a good book.
The storyline was well thought out and written. The gothic style of narrative and settings make for a deliciously chilling read. A thorough enjoyment to get lost in.
Well
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Night Swim
  • Plan for the Worst (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #11)
  • Lovers Like Us (Like Us, #2)
  • The End of Her
  • A House at the Bottom of a Lake
  • Red Hood: Outlaw, Volume 1: Requiem for an Archer
  • The Man from Milwaukee
  • Only Truth
  • Faith: Taking Flight (Faith Herbert Origin Story, #1)
  • The Queen of Traitors (The Fallen World, #2)
  • Catherine House
  • The Shadow of a Shadow
  • Alphas Like Us (Like Us, #3)
  • Bad Habits
  • Watercolor Techniques for Artists and Illustrators: Learn How to Paint Landscapes, People, Still Lifes, and More.
  • The Mistress