Start by marking “Dracula's Child” as Want to Read:
Dracula's Child

Dracula's Child

Dracula returns...

It has been some years since Jonathan and Mina Harker survived their ordeal in Transylvania and, vanquishing Count Dracula, returned to England to try and live ordinary lives. But shadows linger long in this world of blood feud and superstition - and, the older their son Quincy gets, the deeper the shadows that lengthen at the heart of the Harkers' marri
Published May 12th 2020 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Dracula's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dracula's Child

Start your review of Dracula's Child
Nilufer Ozmekik
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a challenging, compelling, arduous job, the author brilliantly achieved! The continuation of a thrilling, blood chilling, one of the legendary masterpiece is presented us as if it has been written a few years after the first book’s release by the same author.

This is quite outstanding tribute to Bram Stoker’s work by keeping the same dark, claustrophobic, high tension, gothic atmosphere with very same characters.

J. S. Barnes’ writing style are so similar and loyal to the original text. You
Dannii Elle
Jonathan and Mina Harker survived their terrible vampiric ordeal and have attempted to move on with their lives, and with each other. Years have passed in relative peace but now old menaces threaten to become unearthed as new secrets and blood are spilled...

This was such a great retelling, which came with a similar prose style and epistolary accounts, as in Stoker's original Gothic text. I felt it also captured the eerie atmosphere and suspenseful narrative of the former, whilst delivering somet
Natalie
Sep 26, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

This book was such a great start into the darker season! The author did a great job with the creepy vibe here. The story takes place several years after the end of Dracula. The plot although good wasn’t exceptional. The main reason why I enjoyed Dracula's Child was because it is written in the same style as Dracula, in letters and authentic writing. This feels like a really fitting successor and is a must-read for every real Dracula fan.

Thanks to Titan Books for providing me a copy of t
Lou
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Evil never truly dies...and some legends live forever. The dark heart of Bram Stoker's classic is reborn; capturing the voice, tone, style and characters of the original yet with a modern sensibility, this is a fitting tribute and unofficial sequel to the Bram Stoker classic. It would be preferable to have read Dracula before diving into this as there are references to the original, the characters are the same and Barnes uses the original to give his story context.

Dracula’s Child is set just ov
Jennie Damron
Oct 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an incredible read. I was captivated from start to finish. I love Dracula and the Harker's. To see the story continue from where it left off was an absolute delight. I loved the Gothic atmosphere of writing and the dark undertones throughout the story. Mina is my favorite female character ever written. I love her strength, loyalty, devotion, and determination. It was so nice to immerse myself in a well written Vampire book. I am one satisfied reader.
Bret Praxmarer
Quite simply, I LOVED this book. Thank you to Net Galley and Titan Books for sending me the ARC for this. I should preface this review by saying that Dracula is among my favorite novels of all time and I will argue that it is one of the best English language novels ever written.

This book is the PERFECT sequel to Dracula, it is written in the same style as the original. Barnes uses the same diction and writing style throughout, giving it the same feel as Stoker's novel. The characters are well do
Dana
Oct 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
"An old truth of the world is here presented: that to make a thing forbidden is to fill the souls of those who are warned against it with unquenchable thirst."

"'All over Europe,' she said, 'the shadow is falling now. we must prepare for the hour of his return."

--------------------------------------------

Dracula's Child perfectly recreates the tone and feel of Bram Stoker's original. The writing style reads like that of his own hand.  Through a series of letters, journal entries, telegrams and ne
Justine
Aug 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
Thanks to NetGalley and Titan Books for providing an ARC!
_______________________________
I was so glad to see this book on NetGalley, I immediately asked an ARC and was really glad to receive it!
So glad because Dracula is one of my favorite books of all times and I love to read retellings like Anno Dracula or sequels like Dracula: The Undead ! I can't wait to read Dracul !

So I entered this book open, excited and just wanting to get back to my favorite characters: Mina, Jack and, o
Rod | rodsreads
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Let me tell a little secret...
I nearly gave this book a hard pass.

How dare J.S. Barnes touch my beloved Dracula?

But this was the old me trying to get in the way. The same old me that keeps squealing whenever I pick a genre other than Horror. The old me that would rather not try to read something different.

NOPE!

Screw the old me.

I decided to go for it and see what J.S. Barnes could come up with.

As I'm writing this review, I keep thinking of fancy ways to describe what the author did in this book,
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
I really enjoyed this, I thought the author got the tone and atmosphere of Dracula just perfect, I was just drawn by how eerie, captivating yet also disturbing at times this story was. It feels so authentic, almost like it was written by Stoker, or at least in the same era. I think this really stands up well to the original, the style is true to the original, even new characters blend in seamlessly, overall a fantastic gothic story Worthy of its namesake.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for
4cats
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
10 years have passed since the Crew of Light fought their immortal enemy Dracula and the world has moved forward into a new century. Mina and Jonathan are living in Oxfordshire with their son Quincey and maintain their friendship with Jack, Arthur and of course Abraham Van Helsing. On Quincey's 12th birthday they are all together celebrating however tragedy hits and a darkness begins to creep in to their lives.

Using the episatolry style following Stoker's Dracula, the narrative is told through m
Giulia
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic creep-filled read which felt to me that it could have been written by THE man himself-Bram Stoker. The book is filled with journal entries from most of the beloved vampire hunters (Mina and Jonathan Harker, Dr. Seward)--along with some new faces that move along the story of the evil Count and his doomed minions. Dracula's Child is filled with details which created the dark atmosphere Dracula fans should eat up. The ending was very effective and NOT what I expected.
I highly recommend f
Dana-Adriana B.
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 ⭐ are not enough.
It is truly a pleasure to meet again Stocker's team in the fight against the Count. The format of the book kept the original style, the story was told through the letters of the various characters.
Great job. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for this beautiful story.
Kaitlyn
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A gothic, bone-chilling revival of the most infamous vampire tale of all time that may even rival the first in its delectable thirst of the gruesome and the wicked.

"Dracula's Child," by J.S Barnes is a work of literal art. Written in a similar tone and style of Bram Stoker, the tale is delivered in a series of letters, articles, and diary entries from multi-perspectives, detailing what nobody wants to admit: Dracula is back and determined to fulfill his promise of revenge. Mina and Jonathon Hark
Becky Spratford
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review in the April 2020 issue of Library Journal and on the blog: http://raforall.blogspot.com/2020/03/...

Three Words That Describe This Book: atmospheric, fast paced, epistolatory

Draft Review:

What happened after Jonathan and Mina Harker defeated Dracula in Stoker’s seminal vampire novel? Barnes ponders this question with an intriguing frame, papers released by their son, Quincey Harker, on the eve of real world doom, World War I. Like the original, this novel is told through “found” journals,
Connie
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jonathan and Mina Harker and their close friends - Dr Seward, Lord Godalming and Professor Van Helsing - get together to celebrate Quincy Harker's 12th birthday. During the celebrations Van Helsing collapses and cries out a strange prophecy that will put all their lives in danger, before falling unconscious.
This is a good follow up to Stoker's Dracula. Written in the same epistolary style. Letters, journals and newspaper cuttings collected by Quincy Harker.
I did enjoyed this story, there's a lo
Seregil of Rhiminee
Oct 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Risingshadow.

J.S. Barnes' Dracula's Child is a brilliant sequel to Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's one of the best vampire novels of recent years and also one of the most compelling horror novels of the year.

Before I write more about this novel, I'll mention that I'll try to keep this review as spoiler-free as possible, because the less you know about the happenings, the more you'll enjoy the gradually unfolding dark and Gothic story.

When I heard that J.S. Barnes has written
Gabriela
Sep 24, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
If you liked Dracula, this is the book for you!
Throughout its entirety, it felt like an official sequel to the classic. It had the same claustrophobic and gothic ambience as Bram Stoker's work, making it an outstanding tribute. Likewise, it kept the original format, making the story unfold through letters, diary entries, news articles, telegrams, etc.
I loved the fact that we got to see the cast of characters again, a decade after the events that transpired in Dracula . Mina has alwa
Paige
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I'm going to be honest here. I've never read Dracula, despite the fact that I've been meaning to for a while. So, all I know about the original book is bits and pieces, but we all know the story well.

J. S. Barnes has crafted a story that will haunt you. A story of how easily people can be swayed and evil can be unleashed. Using articles, memos, diaries and telegrams the story comes together slowly before becoming a pulse-raising r
Alison
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Titan books for an ARC of this in exchange for an honest review.
It's been a while since I read Dracula, but this piqued my interest after seeing reviews of it so I thought I'd give it a go.
I really liked that it stuck to the epistolary style of the original book, and it had the same dark, gothic feel to it which I was impressed by. It was good to revisit the characters and see the effect that the events of the original novel had had, an aspect that I thought was done v
Sue Blanchard
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thankyou to NetGalley, Titan Books and the author, J.S Barnes, for the opportunity to read an advanced readers copy of Dracula's Child in exchange for an honest and unbiased opinion.
I was excited at the prospect of reviewing this book. I loved Dracula when I was younger, so I was looking forward to this read. Such a good book.
The storyline was well thought out and written. The gothic style of narrative and settings make for a deliciously chilling read. A thorough enjoyment to get lost in.
Well
Kasha In Bookland
Sep 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is not an easy task to take such a well known classic and continue the story of Mina and Jonathan Harker but the author manages to carry on the spirit of the young couple and follow their lives years after their last encounter with Count Dracula.

We follow Mina and John as they try to live a normal life with their son and still cope with the ghosts from the past. That is until one day a warning comes from Quincy, their son. He is to be the vessel of Count Dracula that is plotting his return to
Anna
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it
*** Many thanks to NetGalley and to the publisher Titan Books for providing me with an electronic ARC of Dracula's Child in exchange of my honest review.***

This was an overall good read. The writing style perfectly set up the Gothic atmosphere with the story presented as entries of journals, letters and so on. Keeping to this format really paid homage to Bram Stoker's Dracula. The story and characters were skillfully executed and the slow unfolding of events building up was on point. The horror
Raquel
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
Dracula’s Child is written as a direct sequel to Bram Stoker’s Dracula. It follows the same crew of light over a decade after the defeat of the Count. When they all come together to celebrate the twelfth birthday of Mina and Jonathan’s son, Quincey, disaster strikes. Van Helsing suffers something of a stroke which is only the beginning of a set of many unfortunate situations that seem reminiscent of an earlier time. On top of all of this, Quincey starts acting strange. At the same time two new c ...more
Mana
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a big fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula and BBC series Dracula, I've immensely enjoyed this book.

Written as in an original Stoker's Dracula style, the atmosphere is perfect. Characters wonderful, Mina and Jonathan with their loving marriage but not without the flaws and their son Quincey, burdened with their past.

Evil never rests, dark clouds are gathering above them.. All so very well known but with modern twist.

Loved it!
Louise
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Leigh
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s been more than a decade since the events of Bram Stoker’s original novel, which culminated in the true death of Dracula at the hands of Mina Harker and her champions. Life has carried on, as life tends to do. Mina and Jonathan’s little family has grown, and they now have a son, named after the redoubtable American, Quincey Morris, who died in their quest to kill the vampire. Their little group comes together again to celebrate young Quincey’s birthday, and this is where tragedy strikes - Va ...more
Jovana
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
J.A. Ironside
Audio ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Audio review first: the narrators were excellent. They both managed to capture the tone of this book and the original, and were versatile enough to do several convincing character portrayals. The book was a pleasure to listen to.

The book itself is good. However I initially had the same complicated reaction to this, that I had to ‘Love Never Dies’ – the sequel to Phantom of the Opera. On one hand, it was immersive and took me back to
Kylie Summers
Aug 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dracula’s Child is an intriguing and well written work of gothic fiction. It is a follow up of Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

It takes place after the events in Bram Stoker’s original book and centers around Jonathan and Mina Harker.

The Harkers are living uneventful lives in England and the book starts with the birthday party of their son, Quincy Harker.
At the celebration, Professor Van Helsing’s health takes a turn for the worst, after leaving a cryptic warning for Quincy and advising him to fight f
« previous 1 3 next »

• Whiteland
  • The Hollow Ones
  • The Night Swim
  • Plan for the Worst (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #11)
  • Stake
  • Devil's Creek
  • The Cry of the Lake
  • Lovers Like Us (Like Us, #2)
  • Ring Shout
  • The Cup and The Prince (Kingdom of Curses and Shadows #1)
  • The Midnight Circus
  • The Tea Dragon Tapestry (Tea Dragon, #3)
  • The End of Her