Start by marking “Heartbreak Boys” as Want to Read:
Heartbreak Boys

Heartbreak Boys

Faking the best summer ever is a lot harder than it looks...

At the start of summer, Jack and Nate find themselves dumped as their respective exes, Dylan and Tariq, start up a new relationship together. Not only that, their exes start posting pics on social media, showing the whole world how fabulous their new life together is!

Jack and Nate are reeling. Not to be outdone, t
Published August 6th 2020 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Heartbreak Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartbreak Boys

Start your review of Heartbreak Boys
Larry H
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Simon James Green's most recent book, Heartbreak Boys , is an adorable and fun story about trying to overcome heartache and finding the strength to start over.

It’s prom night. Jack is hoping that he and his boyfriend Dylan might be crowned king and queen. Although school had been hell for Jack since he came out, once popular athlete Dylan did, Jack’s flamboyance became nearly tolerable by his classmates. (Nearly.)

Meanwhile, Nate is still coming to terms with publicly acknowledging his sexuali
Izzie
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Scholastic for sending me this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This book follows 2 main characters, Nate and Jack, who find out on prom night that their boyfriends have been cheating on them and are now in a relationship together! In an effort to prove that Nate and Jack "are doing just fine" despite their heartbreak, they set off on a road trip with Nate's family and create a fake "perfect holiday" on Instagram. Despite falling out in their early teens, the road trip brings th
melissa
Aug 24, 2020 rated it liked it
pretty sure i just read 400 pages of british teens saying stuff that were cool 4 years ago, the author doing a shameless self promo of his own books and more owl city references than i needed.

the commentary on cancel culture could've been worked on a little more though, it'd be a nice touch.

overall a nice book, i'm just too old for it.
Michael
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-themed
What a fun book!

The road trip across England trip where two teen boys try to escape heartache and end up finding something they both thought they’d lost forever is full of funny and touching moments.

This is enjoyable because of the way most of the characters have depth and levels. I’d say I felt Dylan and Nate’s dad were the only ones who seemed one dimensional. Everyone else had kind of an arc. Dylan is frankly described as a grade A jerk, and that can be too id plastic and degrade from the ot
Tasha  Ní Mhiacháin
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I would like to wholeheartedly thank Pride Book Tours and Scholastic for my copy of Heartbreak Boys that I received in exchange for an honest review.

“I am in pink shorts and flip-flops. I could run for my life, but what’s the point? It’d be like Bambi trying to escape the Terminator.”

This book was pure joy.
You know that feeling you get in your chest when you’re so happy you feel like you could burst? That’s what this story gave me.

Jack is out, proud and loud – and not just about his sexuality.
Shan( Shans_Shelves) 💜
Final Thoughts

✨”If it’s just you and me against a constant shitstorm, I don’t care. As long as it is you and me. Like before. Like it always should have been.” ✨- Heartbreak Boys, Simon James Green.

🏳️‍🌈Reading Heartbreak Boys was one of the highlights of my year. This beautiful YA rom/com made me laugh so much- I forgot the world has currently gone to shit. It features two ex best friends determined to have the time of their lives when their boyfriends cheat on them with each other. However
Andreas
This is 100% pure joy. This is the gay rom-com we all deserve. It’s so much fun to read. Like any good rom-com it’s not just romance with humor, but also some serious issues, like coming out, being gay, being too much gay or being not enough gay. Comedy with depth. And fun. Very much fun. Have I already mentioned how much fun it is?

I usually don’t like alternating first person pov narration, because most of the time it’s poorly done and hard to read. Either you can’t tell them apart, because th
Ben Howard
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I've only read two of Simon James Green's novels, and I love them both.

Heartbreak Boys follows Nate and Jack, both of whom had their boyfriends cheat on them. And to make matters worse their boyfriends cheated with eachother and are now a couple, with a instagram account dedicated to their love.

Heartbroken, both boys (ayyy get it?) decide to create their own instagram account. Where they'll document their summer, not their actual summer, but a summer that'll outdo their exes.

However, Nate and J
Kat (Bookish Blades)
- so fun
- estranged best friends with their minds set on a bit of revenge
- summer road trip through England
- people finding themselves
- rude comments from annoying little sisters (bless her)
- lots of sarcasm
- wearing a pride flag as a cape to prom??? what an icon
- quality family time
- I laughed tears
- ultimate summer read

rep: gay, bi
TW: homophobia, cheating, bullying
Kay Weston
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ahhh, that was so good! And the ending was just perfect!!

Full review at My Endless Shelf
Anna
Jul 05, 2021 rated it really liked it
This one is a hilarious emotional gay rom-com road trip story I didn't know I needed. It's a ex-friends to lovers story. It's honestly just so much fun. Jack and Nate are both recently broken up with in heartbroken after they find out that their boyfriends have been cheated on them and they set out to take an instagramable road trip that will prove to everyone that they are over their shitty exes.

This of course it's not the swoon-worthy, jealously-inducing road trip they imagine, but instead of
Zoë ☆
Sep 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
*3.5-4🌟

This was CUTE but maybe a tiny bit too long?! Anyway I enjoyed it nonetheless and it was super funny 🙊
Marieke du Pré
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, young-adult
This was a fun read. It’s nice to have two POV’s and constantly knowing which POV is telling. Jack is the most hilarious MC I read about in ages, out and proud without a filter whatsoever. Nate is the opposite, not wanting to stand out, staying in the background. But I laughed out loud with the both of them. Nate telling at a massage that Elliot is with a very kind-looking woman, called Maria, Jack is with Javier who is Spanish and beautiful and he is with Olga, who is exactly who you’d imagine. ...more
Amy
Thank you, Scholastic for gifting me a copy for review.

Rating: 4 stars
Rep: m/m relationship
Trigger warnings: cheating, homophobia.

After reading this, it's now clear that Simon James Green has to be added to my auto-buy list! I first came across this author after reading his short story from the "Proud" anthology, which I adored, so I instantly got my hands on a copy of "Alex in Wonderland", which I also adored, and after reading "Heartbreak Boys", I'm so excited to finally get to the Noah books!
Lydia Hephzibah
Aug 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Super cute, I really enjoyed this! 4.5/5
James Cross
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreak Boys by Simon James Green

I need a sit down. I ❤️loved ❤️this book. I just ignored my family the whole way back from a scenic day trip so I could read the last half of this lovely lovely story 📚 .

You know where this is farcical love story is headed right from the start.

That’s not the point of this book containing the irrepressible living rainbow 🌈 Jack and the curmudgeonly kind Nate. Dumped by their boyfriends who had the nerve to then get with each other, a madcap family camping holid
brenda ☾
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I honestly can't stop smiling!
Heartbreak Boys is a funny, light hearted story with amazing characters.

Nate and Jack couldn't be more different - Jack is proud of his sexuality and doesn't mind to show it.
While Nate is more reserved and don't want people to know that he is gay for the longest time.

I adored both characters and just want to hug them. 🥺
And let's not forget Jack's cousin Elliot - he might be my favourite.

The writing style was easy and fresh and I flew through this book.

Huuuuge recom
Sasha Zatz
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreak Boys by Simon James Green was a hilarious, heartfelt and deeply enjoyable book about two boys who fake an amazing summer to get back at their cheating exes, and maybe discover feelings for each other along the way…
This book was so funny, full of gay shenanigans, and deeply relatable. Simon James Green really knows how to be relatable to queer youth! The characters were loveable, interesting and had a wonderful dynamic, the plot was so entertaining and delightful, and the writing made
Eloise Mae
Thankyou to Scholastic & Pride Book Tours for sending me this pre-release!! My thoughts are completely my own and honest.

i don’t even know where to start with this review because i loved absolutely everything about this book!! it’s genuinely hilarious; like a full on “laugh out loud because you can’t keep in it” kind of funny, and it’s such a witty & clever brand of humour that only punches up. jack & nate are not quite opposites but more ‘two sides of the same coin’ and their individual charac
Barry Quinn
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, romance, comedy
"Because that's exactly what everyone wants, isn't it. Fine to be gay, as long as you're not too gay. As long as you can be slotted into some nice little inoffensive category that doesn't make anyone uncomfortable."

Simon James Green is quickly becoming one of my favourite YA authors and Heartbreak Boys is possibly my favourite of his (fantastic) books so far. Feel good, funny and celebratory, sometimes magic happens when you step out of your regular routine, out of your comfort zone. 🏳️‍🌈👨‍❤️‍💋‍
Arvie
May 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
✎↷: 𝗛𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝗴𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗵 𝗮 𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗿𝗶𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗯𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗸 𝘂𝗽? 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗦.

Simon James Green’s Heartbreak Boys is one of the most adorable, lighthearted, and fun story that I’ve ever read about facing heartache, thriving to find healing, and coming to the terms of moving on to start over.

This is really an enjoyable book that captured what heartbreak can do on a young person, venturing the emotions and thoughts of young people, and finding the right person/people to lead the way for you truth.

I really recommend this u
Olivia
Oct 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Lovely, sweet, funny. A beautiful YA romp that I really enjoyed. I would have loved to have a bit more of a resolution/f you to Dylan but hey, that’s life right?

Nate is a sweet baby who needs to be wrapped up and protected and I love him.
Siobhan
Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreak Boys was a ridiculous and over the top story that I quickly fell in love with and could not put down. I confess to being a wee bit tentative at first, but I could not put it down once things got going.

Sure, the book is far from perfect. There were a lot of refences made in this one that will quickly become dated and there were some aspects of the story that were never cleared up as much as I would have liked, but it was not enough to take away from the laughter this book caused. It wa
Jess
This was super, super fun! And cute! And absolutely hilarious! It was basically a very gay roadtrip with some disastrous (and not so disastrous) stops along the way, with a really cute slow-burn romance and sticking it to horrible (and not so horrible) ex boyfriends.

At times it felt weirdly American (although the author is English and should know we don’t have Whole Foods or use the word motel in England) and at other times it made me feel horrifically old, but all in all I had a very fun time!
Rachel
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was so funny and sweet and just seriously delightful! Jack was so hilarious, like a more upbeat David Rose, and I love how grumpy and anxious Nate was. I actually LOL-ed several times, this was the hardest I’ve laughed at a book all year, I think. The story was full of energy and goofy, like a fun romcom that gets the tone just right between cute and witty.

Read in one sitting. Read this book, it was 👌🏼.
Jenny
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Just a perfect happy pill. And I mean, it's 2020, so.
A perfect happy pill is absolutely necessary.
this teenage road trip takes place during the summer of 2020 so obviously anyone who actually experienced the summer of 2020 is going to find it rather outlandish and fantastical, but this is how we can all *wish* the summer of 2020 went for the heartbroken young adults of the world.
Charlotte Ertryckx
May 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

I has been ages since I flew through a book, but this one somehow did it. I was super engaged throughout and had to force myself to put it down in the middle of the night so I could get some sleep.

I don't read young adult very often anymore, because I find it too difficult to really relate to the characters. Often the drama is so ridiculous and you know this book wouldn't work if the characters were even just a year older. Here, while there are some elements of that teenage angst, th
KatieBookQueen
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THE PLOT
WHERE DO I EVEN START? As someone who is constantly yelling, both online and in person, about my love for the stories of Simon James Green, Heartbreak Boys was always going to be one of my most anticipated reads of 2020. And as predicted, I was in for an absolute treat.

This story alternates between Jack and Nate, former friends who end up reuniting after their relationships with their boyfriends come to a screeching halt. Despite not having spoken to each other in years, Jack ends up jo
Anwen Hayward
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is absolutely hilarious, although the scene in which the author promos one of his other books should probably have been left in the first draft, or indeed consigned to the recycling bin. Apart from that, it's a very funny book with some one liners that had me doing the proverbial (and often literal) lol, and although I do think it could probably have stood to be a good 50 pages shorter, I was enjoying the ride so much that I didn't really mind. I'm not the audience for this book - it's ...more
Jordan
Sep 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay. This book is so so so so so good. This was my first Simon James Green book and boy am I upset I never read his works before!

Jack and Nate used to be friends back when they were 13. Best friends in fact, but then Jack came out and, well, Nate drifted away. Jack became out, proud, and very very gay, it was the only way he could figure out how to really keep the bullies. Now, the setting is Prom. Jack is going with his boyfriend, Dylan, and Nate is planning on coming out, in a big way, oh an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Heartbreak Boys by Simon James Green 1 9 Jan 17, 2021 04:33PM

• The Summer of Everything
  • The List of Things That Will Not Change
  • Fin & Rye & Fireflies
  • The Lending Library
  • Utopia Avenue
  • Conventionally Yours (True Colors, #1)
  • After the Silence
  • The Panic Years: Dates, Doubts, and the Mother of All Decisions
  • The Harpy
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…
Simon James Green grew up in a small town in Lincolnshire that definitely wasn’t the inspiration for Little Fobbing – so no-one from there can be mad with him, OK? He enjoyed a classic British education of assorted humiliations and barbaric PE lessons before reading Law at Queens’ College, Cambridge, where he further embarrassed himself by accidentally joining the rowing team despite having no upp ...more