Start by marking “Marvel Comics #1000” as Want to Read:
Marvel Comics #1000

Marvel Comics #1000

(Marvel Mystery Comics #1000-1001)

Eighty years! Eighty creators! An army of legendary creators! All in one sensational hardcover! In celebration of Marvel's 80th anniversary, we gathered together the greatest array of talent ever to be assembled between two covers! Names from the past, from the present and even the future! Every page is filled with all-new work from this cavalcade of comic book luminaries! ...more
Expected publication: March 17th 2020 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Comics #1000, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Comics #1000

Start your review of Marvel Comics #1000
James DeSantis
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a mix bag. Some fun stories, especially the Spider-man stuff. I liked almost all the stories in there for him. There's also one shots here and there that worked really well. Then some that were dull and did nothing for me. All mattered which story. Either way worth reading for the accomplishment of getting to 1,000!
Maksym Karpovets
Ідея чудова, хоча й дуже проста й очевидна: показати еволюцію всесвіту Марвел від початку до минулого року. Кожен рік асоціюється із важливою подією, як-от поява якогось героя, переломна битва чи смерть когось вз персонажів (зрозуміло кого). Більшість історій пише Ел Евінг, який написав чи не найкращий комікс минулого року про Галка (до речі, про нього історія чи радше замальовка тут найбільш сподобалось), відродивши давню традицію горрору й трилеру. Однак коли його змінюють інші автори, то стає ...more
Anthony
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: single-issues
Like most jam issues that have a bunch of writers and artists involved, this is a mix bag, with some good and bad stuff.

The Al Ewing story that runs throughout is pretty good. I like how they’ve started a thread with the original human torch and managed to bring it into the modern day.

Some of the other highlights are also the Spider-man page by Slott and Marcos Martin, the Hulk page by Alex Ross and even the Daredevil page by Quesada is good.

But there’s other stuff here that just lands flat
Lindsi (Do You Dog-ear?)
This issue was a hot mess. The stories were mostly uninteresting, and I thought the main thread was hard to follow. I wish I had skipped this one altogether.
Jason
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Any anthology series is going to be a mixed bag, and this certainly was that. Unfortunately for every good one-page story, there were three mediocre (or just plain bad ones). 80 years of publishing comics is certainly an accomplishment worth celebrating, and this was a neat idea that just didn't really come together in the execution.

The first issue, Marvel Comics # 1000, devotes one page to each of Marvel's 80 years of publishing, and while it's a neat tour through Marvel's history, I found
Alex Sarll
A curious item celebrating 80 years of Marvel comics, not that they were called that for the first few decades, and even if you think in terms of the internal timeline, well, some bits of that still sit where they were (Captain America is still a product of the Second World War), and others have been shifted up (Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider well after the fall of the Twin Towers – which at least means that dreadful 9/11 issue never happened). But every page has to be tied to a ...more
D: The Reading Man
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A brilliant retrospective of a magnificent, long running universe; that was much better than I thought it’d be, that’s for sure!

As per usual when it comes to anthologies, some are better than others; but all of the stories convey a sense of care for the characters that makes it such a pleasant read. With each story, you’re also getting the history of Marvel Comics which progresses the stories in real time, which is neat.

What stole the show were definitely Al Ewing’s stories that were woven
Jason
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Standard this is an anthology and quality varies line.

That said, this volume works best when it was about individual moments in Marvel history and letting the creators kick back and celebrate what they loved and not the let's try and tell a story throughout the Marvel history. Maybe I'm just bummed that Al Ewing gets more credits than all the women combined but his mysterious mask tale was the weakest link and could easily have been scrapped and more interviews with superheroes added. The Thing
Omar Chilla
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
8.5 good
This was a very fun comic book to celebrate the 80 years of marvel comics. The theme Is very vague in this comic book but majority of pages written by al Ewing is linked to this mask crusader. It's very fun and goofy, not supposed to be taken seriously. It's a very light hearted ckmjc book. Love how the art is different on each page. It just shows what happens through the hears and is a MUSTVREAD for any marvel fan. However I cant give it more than an 8.5 sicne it will be an over praise.
Daniel Butcher
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
Interesting tribute that is both pushing forward a story I would like to see with tributes mixed in.

I have no idea way the 1001 material wasn’t just worked into 1000. It would have made more sense.
William Tyler Davis
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Some amazing pages brought down by an attempt to tell a cohesive story. They left out some of Marvel’s best characters and plenty of writers and artists that deserved to be on this book. It’s a swing and a miss for me.
Matt
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ridiculously long... took almost a month to get through. A semi-coherent story mixed in with fun weird little whimsys. The Nemo in Slumberland was my favorite.
David Edmonds
A mixed bag of one page stories by a variety of writers and artists, with each page highlighting 1 thing that happened in each year of Marvel's 80 year history. Like most of these anthology issues with so many writers and artists, some of the bits are better than others. The idea that there has been a common thread running thru the Marvel Universe since the first issue and is now coming to light is a cool idea, but does feel a little forced, as the idea of the Eternity Mask seems shoehorned into ...more
Jorge
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Un buen viaje año por año, repasando acontecimientos importantes y celebrando los 80 años de la única "Casa de las ideas". Lectura obligada para los fans de Marvel y de los grandes artistas que dibujan y escriben.
Evey Morgan
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
3.5/5
Danielle Robertson Rath
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic
This is a great book to keep in your backpack or purse for when you're stuck waiting in line, or, in my case, when you're in the backseat during a long car ride. Each page was interesting, and I liked the recurring characters or items that have appeared throughout Marvel comic history. However I couldn't get into this, I felt no compulsion to read the rest after my long car ride was over.
Matt
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hey this was pretty good. I don't read comics all that often, so it was pretty cool to get a sampling of Marvel's history and characters. Since each story is only a page long, they're typically all composed of character moments rather than containing any actual plot. However, there are a few pages scattered throughout the volume which form an ongoing storyline that ties together events from Marvel's entire history.

I did think that some of the event selections from each year were a bit odd
Amber
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of heart in this project for what Marvel has been and what it will be... but what it continues to be and how it sees itself is a boys club and it needs to be said.

Factor in the 100+ creators
Factor in how many stories had superheroines. (Factor in how many - if any - were presented as anything but the love interest to the Headline)

For all the Marvel listens and all that - and for all the cultural impact of Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel, or the raising Captain Marvel as THE token Marvel
Spencer Borup
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great celebration of Marvel, starting with the very first panel of the very first comic they put out in 1939, a page per year for the last eighty years. Highlights include writing from Lord & Miller (the team behind Into the Spider-Verse), Neil Gaiman, Rainbow Rowell, Jason Reynolds, Joe Hill, and of course the greatest comic artists of our time.
Ed
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
The real purpose of this book is Al Ewing's story that runs through this and ties together some interesting bits throughout Marvel history. It was good, as are most Al Ewing written things.

The rest of this is hit or miss, as you'd expect. It's a kind of random mix of one-page stories. Some of which actually tell a story; some of which are more of a tribute to a character.
James
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This almost got a 2.5 star rating but some cool stories popped up toward the end. The coolest part of this was the mystical mask story running thru the issue. The rest is as most have said here, a mixed bag. I mean you have one page to tell some kind of story. Some were useless, some were just Ok and some were actually pretty cool.
Mark
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
As with all jam-pieces this was a mixed bag where some excellent stories, some good stories and some okay stories were told. However, the artwork throughout was superb. There's obviously some pieces being setup for the next big Marvel event in some of these pages, but it's too obtuse to really hook you in at this stage
Ramon
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
An anniversary piece giving a tour of Marvel history highlights, but with an underarc by Al Ewing that will lead to something more impressive next year, I hope. A grab-bag of funny, interesting, just okay.
John
Sep 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Wayyyyyyy way too many Al Ewing segments
Ellie Hope
would've been real cool to see founding avenger janet van dyne on any of the 89 pages of marvel retrospective
Greg Rice

• The War of the Realms
  • House of X / Powers of X
  • Spider-Man: Life Story
  • Thor, Vol. 3: War's End
  • House of X (2019) #2 (of 6)
  • House of X (2019) #4 (of 6)
  • House of X (2019) #1 (of 6): Director’s Cut
  • Joker: Year of the Villain (2019-) #1 (DC's Year of the Villain (2019-))
  • Powers of X (2019) #1 (of 6)
  • Powers of X (2019) #2 (of 6)
  • House of X (2019) #6 (of 6)
  • History of the Marvel Universe (2019) #1 (of 6)
  • Spider-Man (2019-) #1 (of 5)
  • Powers of X (2019) #4 (of 6)
  • X-Men (2019-) #1
  • House of X (2019) #5 (of 6)
  • Uncanny X-Men: X-Men Disassembled
  • Fantastic Four, Vol. 1: Fourever

Marvel Mystery Comics (1 - 10 of 94 books)
  • Marvel Comics (1939) #1