Start by marking “Unchained Memories: True Stories Of Traumatic Memories Lost And Found” as Want to Read:
Unchained Memories: True Stories Of Traumatic Memories Lost And Found

Unchained Memories: True Stories Of Traumatic Memories Lost And Found

Can a long-forgotten memory of a horrible event suddenly resurface years later? How can we know whether a memory is true or false? Seven spellbinding cases shed light on why it is rare for a reclaimed memory to be wholly false. Here are unforgettable true stories of what happens when people remember what they've tried to forgetplus one case of genuine false memory. In the ...more
Published February 24th 1995 by Basic Books (first published February 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Unchained Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unchained Memories

Start your review of Unchained Memories: True Stories Of Traumatic Memories Lost And Found
Meg Tuite
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most enlightening and frightening books I've ever read! Lenore interviews and tells the true stories of people who have recalled trauma from their childhood many years later. Not only are these mesmerizing stories uncovered, but Lenore Terr works with cognitive and behavioral therapists and the scientific information on how memory returns and which parts of the brain are activated when long-term memories are retrieved. I had to put the book down a few times and then return. ...more
Kathleen Dixon
Leonore Terr works in the field of 'memory' as both a practitioner and researcher. She writes these case studies of people who were not her own clients, but in whom she became very interested. Sometimes they made contact with her, other times she made contact with them. Terr also recounts examples from many other cases to illustrate how memories work.

This is a most readable book. Even when giving detail that's important for the reader to understand (as in the different types of memory), Terr
Katie
Apr 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gradschool
This book is fucking frightening. The fact that horrible, horrible things may have happened to us in childhood that we do not consciously remember as adults but which are stored in our memory systems nonetheless and are technically recoverable under certain circumstances - frightening.
Rachel
Nov 05, 2007 rated it liked it
I'm reading this right now for work - it's a narrative discussion of how memory functions in trauma.
Ray
Jun 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put this book down. True stories/case studies of repressed memories recovered, well written and engaging from start to finish.
Steven
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating.
Melissa
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really really fascinating stuff about really really difficult stuff. Highly recommend for psychology buffs!
Lizzie
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was ok
I liked her previous book, Too Scared To Cry: Psychic Trauma In Childhood, which is about research into whether children remember traumatic events or just forget and get over them (they remember). This one isn't as good; it's a collection of stories of recovered memory. Some are interesting, others aren't but go on too long. The best one is about the fiction of James Ellroy and how his memories of his mother, who was murdered when he was ten, show up in his fiction.
Kim
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was less interesting than you would expect, given the subject. It was a little too academic and dry for my taste.
Andrea
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I benefited greatly from reading Lenore Terr's book. Great insights and educated me on memory processing and survival. Don't read unless...you are ready, willing, and open.
Brigid
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Very compelling topics, but long winded for me. I lost interest about two thirds of the way through the book.
Jeni
Nov 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good, interesting and somewhat convincing.
Elise
Jul 25, 2011
Talena Winters
Aug 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2)
  • Garden of Shadows (Dollanganger, #5)
  • If There Be Thorns (Dollanganger, #3)
  • Seeds of Yesterday (Dollanganger, #4)
  • Witches, Ghosts, And Goblins: A Spooky Search For Miranda's Cat
  • Jay's Journal
  • Mondo Barbie: An Anthology of Fiction & Poetry
  • The Lost Boy (Dave Pelzer #2)
  • Civilization and Its Discontents
  • Poetics
  • Necessary Losses: The Loves Illusions Dependencies and Impossible Expectations That All of us Have
  • Making Faces
  • An Essay Concerning Human Understanding
  • On Liberty and Utilitarianism
  • Angel Face: The Real Story of Student Killer Amanda Knox
  • A Theory of Justice
  • An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
  • When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits
Lenore Terr, M.D., is the author of Too Scared to Cry. Her prizewinning research on the kidnapped children of Chowchilla and other childhood trauma victims has established her as one of the world's foremost experts on trauma and memory.