Start by marking “The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy Book #3)” as Want to Read:
The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy Book #3)

The Land Beneath Us

(Sunrise at Normandy #3)

In 1943, Private Clay Paxton trains hard with the US Army Rangers at Camp Forrest, Tennessee, determined to do his best in the upcoming Allied invasion of France. With his future stolen by his brothers' betrayal, Clay has only one thing to live for--fulfilling the recurring dream of his death.

Leah Jones works as a librarian at Camp Forrest, longing to rise above her
Published February 4th 2020 by Revell (first published February 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Land Beneath Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land Beneath Us

Start your review of The Land Beneath Us (Sunrise at Normandy Book #3)
Hannah
No words...this story is too rich to describe without spoilers. My best attempt is to say that the characters are as palpable as if they really lived and that I feel like I could walk back in time and be friends with them.

I read it in under 24 hours and was immediately ready to read it all over again. (Lacking time, I just went over some favorites scenes again)

You definitely need to read this series in order, to get the full panoramic experience of the brothers saga. The wait between books was
Rachel McMillan
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unparalleled in her research and exposition of American World War II history, Sundin draws on the Biblical tale of Rachel and Leah in this deftly woven treatise on two people yearning to belong amidst a time of tragedy and loss.

Clay Paxton is certain of death. He dreams it every night over and over again, seeing the same minutiae of detail that will signal his untimely end. Leah Jones is desperate to belong after living as an orphan: ridiculed and judged.

Both meet at a training center in
Sarah Grace Grzy
I haven't read any of Sarah Sundin's books before now, but The Land Beneath Us has convinced me that I need to! I absolutely loved this one cover to cover!

Marriage of convenience stories are always hit or miss for me and I'm hesitant to read them as they can sometimes get too sexualized for me. But I'm so glad I gave this one a try because it was perfect in every way! Leah and Clay were such great characters and the motivation for their marriage of convenience worked really well. Clay is such a
Olivia
*This book was provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group/Revell, through Interviews & Reviews.*

A story captured with encouraging lessons and characters portrayed with authenticity in a setting of a war that affected the world.

I adored Clay and Leah from the start. I knew before I began this one that it would be a completion of the trilogy that was necessary and beautiful. But as I read, I soon realized it very quickly reached my favorite by this author. Clay needed something to live for.
Abigail
I truly have no words to describe how breathtaking this book is....as much as I love books 1 and 2, I honestly think this one is my favorite due to many elements woven throughout this beautiful novel. My heart is so full and I honestly do believe my pupils are in heart shapes right now. I am so in love!

Clay was a cinnamon roll who deserves that world and I am so happy with how this book ended for him. My heart ached for this poor man while reading his older brother's books, but I connected with
Staci
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
What a great series based upon the three different ways the U.S. fought at Normandy (air, land and sea). In The Land Beneath Us, the youngest Paxton brother becomes a U.S. Army Ranger while holding at bay his prior dream to become a doctor.

Leah Jones is a young adult that grew up from the age of four as an orphanage. Leah and Clay's paths cross at the Camp Forrest library where she is a librarian assistant.

Both of their stories were engaging. And the ending wraps up all three novels beautifully.
Paula Shreckhise
The Land Beneath Us by Sarah Sundin is the third book of the series Sunrise at Normandy.
Ms. Sundin has given us another gripping glimpse into a pivotal time in WWII history.
A horrific personal incident and war have torn three brothers from their home in Kerville, Texas. Can forgiveness and Gods love bring them back together? This story is primarily about Clay, the youngest of three Paxton brothers and his journey to D-Day in Normandy but also about reconciliation from an event that ripped
Rachel Scott
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Sundin wrote a Marriage of Convenience story!! Repeat - Sarah Sundin wrote a Marriage of Convenience story!!!! And folks, its amazing! I cant gush enough over her brilliant storytelling!

Ive been not-so-patiently waiting for this last installment to the Sunrise At Normandy series, and so when I finally got my hot little hands on The Land Beneath Us, I devoured the book! I confess to staying up past one oclock because that ending was justwow!

This author has proven again and again that she
Kellyn Roth
Read the full review here!

Ah, The Land Beneath Us! The book that (almost) snapped me out of a reading slump. (It didnt cause me to start reading other books, but I read this one in less than a day nonetheless!)

All that aside, this is one of my favorite Sundin books now! Its not my absolute favorite (the romance wasnt as swoony as With Every Letter, Blue Skies Tomorrow, or A Distant Melody to me), but its up there!

Lets dive into why this is such a great read (even though Im sure Ill get across
Debbie
"The Land Beneath Us" is a Christian historical romance set from June 1943 to June 1944 in England. It shows the training up to D-Day and the invasion from the viewpoint of the U.S. Army Rangers. This book is the third in a series. Though it includes enough information that it can be read as a stand alone, the three books are linked as each brother is motivated by a shared painful incident in their past.

Clay was betrayed by his brothers and feels that his future was taken from him. He has a
Connie Saunders
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book emphasizes the sacrifices of all who were involved in World War II, both male and female, and it also justifies why these brave people were called The Greatest Generation. Sarah Sundin completely captures the fears, determination, and deep patriotism and vividly describes the horrors of war. Clay Paxton is the focus of this third book of the Sunrise at Normandy series and he is the man that most parents would choose for their daughter. He proves this by marrying a young woman, in an ...more
Maureen Timerman
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I loved this book, and the only thing I didnt like was that it ended! The whole series was wonderful, and loved how it all tied in together, and each son did his own part on D-Day.
This is the third son of the Paxton familys story, Clay, we have previously met Wyatt and Adler, and if you havent read them, their books are just as good!
We also met a girl who has grown up in an orphanage, and is searching for her identity, she wants to know who she is, and the world has tried its hardest to put her
Rachelle Cobb
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-read
I thoroughly enjoyed The Land Beneath Us by Sarah Sundin. Sarah is a gifted author whose talent for weaving WWII novels that put you right into the thick of the historical setting while also crafting a love story that keeps you turning pages! I stayed up way too late one night to read this book and highly, highly recommend it. I'm convinced this is Sarahs best, most epic novel yet. ...more
Alysha (For The Love of Christian Fiction)
SUCH A GOOD BOOK!!! 😍😍

5/5 stars!
Full review to come!
Mayda
A tragic accident forever changed Leahs life when she was just a toddler. Her parents were killed and she and her younger twin sisters were thrown into an orphanage. Her adoption doesnt work out well, and she again is dumped at an orphanage for the rest of her growing up years, having no idea what became of her sisters. Now, she is hoping to find them, and is working at a library, researching when she has time. Again, tragedy stuck when she is brutally attacked after hours in the library, saved ...more
Nancee
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-be-read
The Land Beneath Us is the third in this series, and I had not read the first or second books. There was only one reference to a person that I did not recognize, so in my opinion this book can easily stand on its own. The cast of characters is diverse and well described, and the settings throughout were very well documented. It is obvious that a lot of research went into this book, particularly of D-Day, and the preparation that went into it.

This book evoked a wealth of emotions that at times
Erin Laramore
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my - what a satsifying conclusion to this series! I loved both of the other books, but I believe this one was my favorite. This is book 3 in the Sunrise at Normandy series, and while the story-line itself could stand alone, I'd definitely recommend reading the other books first so you can get the overall family dynamics of the Paxtons, as well as get the full effect of the epilogue. Fans of the series will be glad to see the youngest brother, Clay, finally get his story. I know I've been ...more
Christine
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful conclusion to the Sunrise at Normandy series. It brought us to the end of WWII and gave us a lovely finish to the Paxton brothers story. Clay and Leah were probably the finest characters Ive read in a Sundin novel. She has upped her game. But what I really give her kudos for, is the quality messaging that is jam packed in this novel. Forgiveness, repentance, faith, trust, unconditional love, and more were all incorporated without sounding forced or preachy. I also liked ...more
Reeds
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sarah-sundin
Lots of lessons from Bible stories used in this novel: Josephs brothers throwing him in a pit. Leah the unwanted wife. The prodigal sons.
Lots of good, solid lessons along with stop whining about not feeling like you belong and join something. She also had one of the characters thank God for the pit he was thrown into because of the things that happened because of it. Forgiveness lets you feel happiness again.

Unless youre a marble statue or a totem pole you will cry while reading this. If you
Danielle Urban
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Land Beneath Us by Sarah Sundin is about sacrifices, bravery, and forgiveness. Love develops between two characters but it does not solidify until much later. A man whose family never made him feel proud of being a part of them, leaves for the military. He works his butt off and proves to be a wonderful soldier. But he battles with his sorrow, loss, and anger daily. Until, little by little it dissolves. A young woman works her way up in life and searches for her family. She too, is battling ...more
Phyllis
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A stunning conclusion to the series!

I've been looking forward to reading The Land Beneath Us, but now that I've finished, I'm a little sad this wonderful series has concluded. So now that I know how things worked out I'm so glad!! It was the perfect conclusion. I even got teary at the end.

I could easily fill this review about all the things I loved about Clay. His innate need to heal. His compassion. His protectiveness. His kindness. The way he didn't question whether to do the right thing. The
Trisha Robertson (Joy of Reading)
All the stars!!! I loved everything about this story! There were moments that I gasped out-loud in surprise, yelled out warnings to characters that could not hear me, and gripped the book tightly holding my breath to see what would happen next. I both cried with Leah and cheered for her successes. More than once I wished I could reach in and hug these characters. I didn't just simply read the story, I felt like I was right there in the story with them.

The struggles these characters faced felt
Melissa
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been anxiously awaiting this final installment because I really wanted to read Clay's story and find out what happened after The Sky Above Us ended in a cliffhanger. This book did not disappoint me in any way! Sundin has a gift for placing the reader right in the middle of the World War II time period and everything about the story feels authentic and believable.
I loved Clay's emotional journey in this novel. The themes of forgiveness resonate throughout, and I could feel his
Amanda Tero
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a good WWII novel, and Sarah Sundins books categorize about everything I love in a good WWII book: the home front, an in depth view of soldier life, and historical accuracy.

Both Leah and Clay were very likable characters that I instantly wanted something good to happen to. Their backstories were different and though they could have learned the same lessons, they didntand I loved that. Clay had to learn about true forgiveness and Leahs lesson was on acceptance.

Speaking of their lessons
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
This book was packed full with lessons to last a life time.
Sweet, little Leah is one of the most meek characters I've ever read about. Orphaned at a young age and growing up in an orphanage is sure to leave brutal marks on the mind of any individual but the way Leah took hers in stride warmed my heart over and over again. Even when life in an army base threw her a mean curve ball, Leah was still strong. Her story inspired hope.
I loved how the love of books and libraries brought her and Clay
Amanda Geaney
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading each book in this series I've declared it to be my favorite. It's safe to say each story and each Paxton brother has unique qualities that will endear them to readers.

What I particularly liked about Clay Paxton was his sense of honor and desire to do the right thing. He did so by staying home when his brothers fled, by marrying Leah to ensure she was provided for, and by risking his life for the men in his unit. All very admirable actions, in my opinion, so when Sundin equated him
Sydney
A gifted and inspiring WWII writer, in her story The Land Beneath Us, author Sarah Sundin has crafted a story that readers will immediately be sucked into. The story of an orphan girl who works as a librarian and an Army Ranger Private, this story will come to life as readers learn about their life situations and see how these characters grow as individuals and as a couple. The story also dives into what life is like for not only the soldiers out fighting, but those left behind at home, bringing ...more
Cheryl
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I have read a book from this author. Every book that I have read has been a four or five star read. Fans of historical fiction stories who have never tried a book from this author, need to pick up a book. You are in for a real treat.

Clay and Leah may have come from different walks of life but they had on thing in common. They were both broken. With each other's support and God's strength, Leah and Clay were able to gain mended hearts filled with love.

Both of their
Monica
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Land Beneath Us by Sarah Sundin is not only a good story but it is a book that I found spiritually stimulating. Sundin surprised me with this plot initially. Clay was looking for something to live for and Leah was looking for a place to belong. I wasn't expecting some of the challenges that these characters faced early in this book--although I did expect the happy ending and I was glad for it. This cover grabbed me right away. I purchased the first two books in this series (The Sea Before Us ...more
Becky
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2020
Sarah Sundin knocked this one out of the park!

From the moment I met each of them, I loved Leah and Clay. While they each had issues to work through, they were just so likable! Also, once again Sundin has written "me" into one of her novels. When I read The Sky Above Us, I saw myself in Violet, and here, I see myself in Clay's "older brother" tendencies. It can be a little disconcerting to find a reflection of yourself in a novel, especially when it's not a favorable one! But I also appreciate
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Collision of Lies
  • The Runaway Bride (The Bride Ships, #2)
  • The Way of the Brave (Global Search and Rescue, #1)
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • The Blizzard Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower, #11)
  • The Brightest of Dreams (Canadian Crossings, #3)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Two Steps Forward (The Deacon's Family, #3)
  • The Major's Daughter (Fort Reno, #3)
  • The Happy Camper
  • The Solid Grounds Coffee Company (The Saturday Night Supper Club, #3)
  • More Than We Remember
  • One Little Lie (The Pelican Harbor #1)
  • Forever Hidden (The Treasures of Nome, #1)
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
Sarah Sundin enjoys writing about the drama and romance of the World War II era. She is the bestselling author of The Land Beneath Us (February 2020), The Sky Above Us (2019) and The Sea Before Us (2018), as well as the Waves of Freedom, Wings of the Nightingale series, and Wings of Glory series. Her novel The Sea Before Us received the 2019 Reader's Choice Award from Faith, Hope, and Love, ...more

Sunrise at Normandy (3 books)
  • The Sea Before Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #1)
  • The Sky Above Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #2)

News & Interviews

“I think God would say he believes in libraries. Think about how the Lord loves words. He spoke the universe into being, and He gave us His word both in written form and living form. Since the Lord knows everything, I reckon that makes Him the ultimate library.” 0 likes
“No matter what happened in my life, I could always find one good thing to enjoy -- a beautiful word, a sunset, a song.” 0 likes