Start by marking “A Mother's Secret” as Want to Read:
A Mother's Secret

A Mother's Secret

Verity seems to have it all. A beautiful home, two grown-up sons and a husband who has always been her rock. But one day, the doorbell rings. And it changes Verity's life forever.

Saskia has nowhere else to go. Before she died, her mother left her with her father's name and nothing else. The only way for Saskia to take care of herself and her unborn baby is to find the

Kindle Edition
Published March 5th 2020 by Aria

To ask other readers questions about A Mother's Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mother's Secret

Start your review of A Mother's Secret
DJ Sakata
My Rating:

3.5

Favorite Quotes:

Delia, who had not had to earn her living for years, had little idea how most peoples lives worked and how they could not escape their jobs whenever the mood took them and expect to find them still there when they returned.

She knew it sounded incredulous especially as Toby found it difficult to imagine his father having a sex life before marriage and then probably only having it twice to make him and his brother.

She said you had a summer romance, a piece of magic she
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ

3.5 Stars

(view spoiler)

Relationships are the magic of this story and dialogue is the driver. Author Minna Howard has done a nice job
Shalini
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a sweet book about two strong women whose life intersected when a pregnant Saskia came to Veritys home with a declaration that her husband was Saskias father. And the story moved parallel with both women adjusting to a new reality especially when there was an impending new birth.

My first book by author Minna Howard, the writing moved swiftly with lives unfolding. There were few moments of stress which added to the overall spiciness of the prose. Both the women were strong with hardly
Cyndi Becker
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I start by saying I would give this 3.5 stars. A Mother's Secret hints at a grand mystery, but there's not much to ruminate on. But, that doesn't mean I didn't like it. Minna Howard's dialogue and character development are all very nicely done. Her writing style brought me straight into the story and I was immediately invested. So, why the so-so mark? There were a couple of reasons.

I did very much enjoy getting to know Verity. She's an open and generous woman, who is feeling a bit lonely. Her
Amanda
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have a little confession to make. Although I have got a couple of Minna's books on my ever increasing 'to be read' mountain, I haven't actually got around to reading one yet. Having read and enjoyed 'A Mother's Secret' as much as I did, I will definitely be reading Minna's other books as soon as possible.
I can't say that I took to either of the main characters of Verity and Saskia and I am still a tad unsure of them. Verity is the wife of Nathan, who has had to go abroad to sort out a work
Grace J Reviewerlady
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a gentle book about family; easy to read and fairly enjoyable.

Verity finds herself rattling around in her home since her husband's promotion means spending time abroad sorting out business problems and their two sons are now away at university. Then a young woman comes to her door and reveals a shocking secret - will things ever be the same again?

This novel flows easily and I got through it in no time at all. There is a good mix of characters and a couple of story lines which mix
Jane Hunt
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it

Verity is coming to terms with an empty nest, her two boys are at university and her husband's new job means he's away a lot of the time. She is a teacher, helping young people who struggle with learning. She has good friends and knows she can build, a new life.

On her first day alone, she has an unexpected visitor, a young woman Saskia. When she finds out, why she's there, Verity is understandably stunned. Despite her wariness, she takes control and doesn't judge. Attempting to achieve the best
Claire Mc Partlin
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
The beginning of this book jumped straight into the story of Saskia arriving on Verity's doorstep and it all felt a bit rushed to me.  Saskia was also quite rude, pushing her way into a house she didn't know, and she put my back up immediately, which unfortunately didn't change much throughout the book from then on in.
Saskia's mother has recently died, she's pregnant, Saskia's partner and the baby's father is working away but due back before the baby arrives, and Saskia is about to be evicted
Pam Robertson
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an intriguing read and features some great storytelling. At the base of it all is the web of family relationships which you have to disentangle and which are shaken to the core by Saskia's appearance on the doorstep. Nevertheless, it is a warm, uplifting read, with romance and family secrets woven together.

The character who made me smile above all turned out to be Nathan's protective mother who would surely drive me up the wall in real life. I found her reactions to be refreshingly
Vanessa
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-x, xx-xx
A Mother's Secret by Minna Howard is the first book I have read from this author and I really enjoyed the way Minna writes a book and it won't be the last book I read from her.

A mother's Secret is a sweet read and would be great for a holiday. It's about family relationships. Verity has it all. A perfect husband and they have two grown up sons, she has a beautiful home between them. But one day the doorbell rings. When she opens the door, only to find a stranger called Saskia, she is pregnant
Amy
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
This book was received as a digital ARC from NetGalley in return for an honest review.

The story opens quite dramatically, but the pace that follows is much more of a stroll through several lifechanging moments. Our main character, Saskia, is easy to care for, but the remaining characters are all simply of average interest. I really wanted to feel invested in each of them, but was left feeling a bit tepid about all. My chief complaint is really in the rapid closure and wrap-up of several
Katherine Hayward Pérez
A Mother's Secret was the second novel by Minna Howard that I had the pleasure to review after That Long Lost Summer .

Verity has two sons, Toby and Marius who are at Nottingham University. Verity's husband Nathan is off abroad sorting out work issues so Verity is left alone.

That is, until one day the doorbell rings and Saskia turns up claiming Nathan is her father. Saskia is pregnant and her boyfriend is in the States.

Verity is welcoming, giving and quickly trusting of Saskia's story, but is
Kathleen Gray
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you opened your door one day and found a pregnant young woman claiming that your husband of many years is her father? Verity invites her in. Saskia has had a very bad time of it lately but her mother, as she lay dying, finally revealed that Nathan was Saskia's father. There's a whole drama in just this scenario but add in issues from Verity's marriage (Nathan's in the US working as the book opens) and her job and you've got a page turner of a story. Howard's a good ...more
Gea
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-com
A great read about how a secret threatens to undo one family's future. Verity's life is forever changed when a pregnant young woman shows up at her door and claims to be her husbands daughter. Nathan had no idea he has a daughter, and the daughter has only recently been told who her father is. Verity takes Saskia under her wing as the family determines a new future.
Kate Rock
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review to follow
Traceysyearinbooks
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a book about family relationships. It is filled with likeable and relatable characters who are multi layered especially Veritys mother in law. She made me smile and brought humour to the story.

The pace of the book was just perfect. It kept me interested throughout. The book is well written and has a nice plot.

I enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to others.
Jo Shaw

• Clover Cottage
  • In Five Years
  • When I Was You
  • The Cottage on Wildflower Lane
  • My One Month Marriage: The brand new uplifting page-turner from #1 bestseller Shari Low
  • The House by the Sea