Start by marking “Saved: Rescued Animals and the Lives They Transform” as Want to Read:
Saved: Rescued Animals and the Lives They Transform

Saved: Rescued Animals and the Lives They Transform

Phil, ailing and unemployed, took an orphaned fawn into his trailer and now walks the woods with the devoted stag. “I don’t know what I’d do without Li’l Buck,” Phil declares simply. “I guess I’d be crazy.”Walt, a retired pipe fitter, says, “Animals...take your heartache away. I lost my boy to drugs and my horse saved my life—just through the therapy of riding.”

Don and Lil
Published November 1st 2008 by Da Capo Press (first published October 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Saved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saved

Start your review of Saved: Rescued Animals and the Lives They Transform
Leigh-ann
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a really incredible and touching book about animals, the people who've rescued them, and vice versa. The photos are gorgeous, too. It's not always pleasant to read, and there are some stories of abuse (both human and animal) which will threaten to stay in your head forever, but they are always balanced by happy ending. I unfortunately couldn't bring myself to give the book five stars because it seemed oddly biased in a number of ways. A disproportionate number of rescuers live in Oregon ...more
Gina
Wonderful! Not just another book about people who love animals--this one is thoughtful, poignant, from an author who clearly champions animals and believes in the love they can offer if only given a chance.

Learn about the pair of Great Pyrenees whose beating and abandonment resulted in each losing a leg. Now they live in an adult foster home/hospice where they offer residents love and companionship and check on each resident before retiring for the night, and who quietly sit nearby during the l
Sabrina
Dec 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
I really wanted to like this book; and a couple of the stories in it actually were touching. However, I was expecting stories of selfless acts and touching rescues. What I got instead was stories about people "rescuing" animals for their own human-centered purposes (like rescuing horses to then put them in service as riding animals), or breeders "rescuing" animals (kind of hypocritical since you're part of the problem in the first place). It just didn't do it for me.
Brianna
May 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
I didn't finish this, but only because it was due back at the library. And it's the kind of book you need to be in the right mood to read. (Meaning, it made me bawl like a pageant winner, and I can't do that just anywhere)

This is the kind of book I wish everyone would read.
Betty
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book; good stories about different people around the country who rescue animals ....... some parts were pretty hard to get through (heartwrenching), but great read; was sad when I finished it ...... read it in one day.
Mal
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, another animal book! But I love the genre, what can I say. But this is a good one, has inspiring stories and photos about people and their relationship with animals. And how both may be broken in some way, but both can help save the other.
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Poignant, heartbreaking, and loving stories...there were even a few beagles who found forever homes! I need to have an animal rescue something....that would make me happy.
Joanne
Nov 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Good book for any animal lover - I am always amazed at how animals enrich and improve the lives of people from all walks of life.
Deborah
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, touching stories of rescued animals. Loved it.
Kate
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what it claims to be. No surprises and should probably get 3 stars. But it's a feel-good and there are lots of pictures of wonderful pets, so I gave it 4. Because I'm a softy.
Paula
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very different book. And a very inspiring one, to say the least. Every chapter is a heartwarming, and sometimes heartbreaking story about people and the animals they are saving. And saving in many different ways. That's what was so interesting, was how these people became involved when they saw a need in their area, and how they created a solution tailored to that need. And most of them are doing it with their own money or on a shoestring budgets, or, working in areas that people avoi ...more
Jessica
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: animal lovers
Shelves: animals
This is a wonderful collection of stories from people who have rescued pets or dedicated their lives to helping animals. Reading this made me want to run over to the local humane society and take all the cats home (which my two cats would certainly not appreciate)! Anyone who has pets or loves animals will love this collection of stories. Very interesting and well put together.
Deborah
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a heart warming book but also one that will break your heart. I have learned how to recognize a sad story coming and to ignore those bits of the books that I read.
We who adore animals understand the meaning of unconditional love but it's always wonderful to read about those who share how we feel.
Kitty Galore
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I was disappointed with this book. I had taken a course on Temple Grandin and have been reading books for which she is the sole author and some where it was co-authored. This was co-authored and consisted of stories where people had rescued animals. Most of them were dog stories and I am a cat person. Enough said.
Katie
Jul 31, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals
I actually didn't finish this, and I was surprised that I was bored with it. Some of the stories were good, such as the one about the man in New Orleans, but I didn't get the one about the polo player. I see where his dog had probably saved him emotionally, but I didn't see how he had really saved the dog. This could have been a riveting book, but for me it wasn't.
Nov 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a good animal book, makes you realize there are some very compassionate people out there.

Each story begins with an animal that has suffered (usually from abuse and abandonment), and ends with that animal healing, and then comforting their human companions. It is insightful and touching, you WILL tear up!
Monica Borneke
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I am almost finished with the book and find it interesting that many of the stories are about minnesota animals. Some of the organizations mentioned are ones I have worked with when I was involed in Humane Society work. Heart warming stories but not a nail bitter.
Cyndie Courtney
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Absolutely gorgeous pictures and some interesting stories about people and the animals they rescued in one way or another. My only complaint would be that I wish the stories had been longer and more detailed, for each of them I wanted to know even more about the people and animals.
Nanmal
Feb 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Quick animal loving read from the library. It so sad how many dogs, cats, horses are abused in the country but also uplifting how many people do so much to help many of these animals out.
Chelsea
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
A touching book of photos and stories about animals that have been rescued (and rescued their humans in return!) Loved it!
Randi
May 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-nook
As an animal lover and a rescuer this was not what I expected. It was okay, about 25 little personal stories, but they were all happy endings and it wasn't real enough for me.
Kathi Olsen
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is okay. It had some nice stories, but didn't really hold my interest very well.
Melissa
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Enlightening and heartbreaking but lots of happy endings.
Katrina
Sandy
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lost Man Found: Crime, Punishment and Growing a Soul
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • Chloe's Vegan Italian Kitchen: 150 Pizzas, Pastas, Pestos, Risottos, & Lots of Creamy Italian Classics
  • The Little Stranger
  • What You Have Heard Is True: A Memoir of Witness and Resistance
  • Bowl: Vegetarian Recipes for Ramen, Pho, Bibimbap, Dumplings, and Other One-Dish Meals
  • The Lost History of Dreams
Karin Winegar graduated from Carleton College in Northfield, Minnesota and then attended graduate school in English literature at the University of Minnesota. In 1978, she became a reporter at the Minneapolis Star (later the Star Tribune) and wrote feature stories, covered participatory sports, women's sports issues and interviewed celebrity authors until she left the Tribune in 1998. Her editoria ...more