Start by marking “The Summer of Impossibilities” as Want to Read:
The Summer of Impossibilities

The Summer of Impossibilities

Skyler, Ellie, Scarlett and Amelia Grace are forced to spend the summer at the lake house where their moms became best friends.

One can’t wait. One would rather gnaw off her own arm than hang out with a bunch of strangers just so their moms can drink too much wine and sing Journey two o’clock in the morning. Two are sisters. Three are currently feuding with their mothers.

On
Published May 12th 2020 by Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Summer of Impossibilities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Summer of Impossibilities

Start your review of The Summer of Impossibilities
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Rep: Jewish mc with juvenile arthritis, lesbian mc, Indian American Muslim mc, Jewish bi mc, side wlw characters

CWs: past self harm

Sometimes you finish a book and you’re sort of left with a vague annoyance that this is what you spent a portion of your life on. That would be me and this book. It’s not a bad book by any stretch of the imagination. It’s just not a me book.

The Summer of Impossibilities follows four girls, whose mothers take them to a lake house for the summer, after o
Anna
Feb 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

OMG this book was so freaking cute!!!

It has everything the synopsis promises and so much more! This book is told in 4 POVs: Ellie, who is a biracial muslim girl who has been homeschooled her entire life and the only thing she wants is to have best friends like her mom has. Then we have Scarlett and Sky who are twin sisters who couldn't be more opposite in the way they handle pressure: Scarlett externalizes, Sky internalizes everything. Both of them are going through a lot in their own p
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Reading this book felt like a warm hug. There was something so comforting and home-y about it. It’s a love letter to female friendship, and to growing up and growing into yourself. Loved the representation, loved the character growth, loved the summer-y lake house vibes. Highly recommend picking this one up in May!!
Kelly Quindlen
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quarantine2020, lgbt
I devoured this book. SO sweet, so much fun, and the romance between two of the girls had my heart racing.
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Annoying would be the one word I’d use to describe THE SUMMER OF IMPOSSIBILITIES. The premise is so much better than the execution.

THE SUMMER OF IMPOSSIBILITIES is a story of contrasts. The four MC narrators have the voices and maturity of middle grade characters, yet the f-bombs and sexual dalliances of older teens. I’m not someone who believes what kids read should be censored and wouldn’t have a problem with a tween reading the content. I only mention it because I doubt publishers would clas
Ms. Yingling
E ARC provided by Netgalley

A character who has arthritis AND wants to play softball? Yes, please. Unfortunately, this was aggressively YA, so not perfect for my fans of Kasey West or Sarah Dessen, as I had hoped. On the plus side, it started out very early with a character and her boyfriend discussing sex, then went into multiple f-bombs, so I knew right away it wasn't what I wanted.

Fine for high school.
jut
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-s-books
i want what they have. and ofc it's not perfect, but that's what makes it interesting. ...more
Heatherblakely
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, lgbtq, own
Honestly this has so many things I love: friendships and found families and queer romance and self discovery, and I cried several times
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
from the author's twitter: "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants but with two of the girls falling in love with each other" ...more
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Wow, this was so good. It's sort of like The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants meets Things I Can't Forget. It's all about sisterhood, friendship, toxic relationships, and more in this way that feels so real but also very uplifting.

There are four first person POVs in The Summer of Impossibilities, which is a lot, but they're done really well. I rarely had any issue with keeping them separate, because they all have unique voices. Skyler, Scarlett, Amelia Grace, and Ellie's POVs all dragged me int
Samantha (WLABB)
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, ya, arcs, diverse
Rating: 3.5 Stars

A family crisis brought these girls physically together, but their new found friendship will bind them for life.

This book follows four young women through a summer of great changes. When Scarlett and Skyler's mother discovers her husband's infidelity, she sends out an SOS to her sorority sisters, and they flee to their lake house. There, they reconvene with all the "aunts" and their daughters, Amelia Grace and Ellie. After finding documents belonging to the SBDC, the Southern B
Stella Bryson
May 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
First off- I made a good reads account JUST to write this review. That is how much this book annoyed me.

I thought the premise of four girls spending the summer together becoming friends was such a good idea but the execution was off. Way off.

I am a teenager myself and I just don't understand this book. It sounds like it is written for younger kids but then it used the f-word five times per chapter and also has a great deal of talking about sex. Older kids such as myself would not (and do not) l
Clara Goldberg
I wanted to like this book, but I just couldn’t. The premise was so amazing but the book ended up being very surface level. It could’ve gone deeper and so much more into each girls lives and their friendships, but it didn’t. I felt most plots of the story were glazed over in favor of focusing on boring and uninteresting ones. The whole story felt very dominated by Ellie and her plots and I did not enjoy that because I found both her as a character and her story to be very surface-level and self- ...more
Emily (emilykatereads)
Aug 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: anticipated-2020
it's gonna be gAY ...more
Michelle
May 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid read! I was worried I wasn't going to like it due to the slow beginning, and mixing up the characters a bit, but once I hit a certain part, I didn't want to put it down! 😍
The girls are so diverse and wonderful.
Amelia Grace: A Christian girl whose also queer and trying to find her way in this world.
Ellie: Muslim and Indian, but also white passing unlike her mom and brother who struggle with both aspects of that. Also, is so hard on herself with making friends.
Skylar: Loves softball so much
Angie
When Skyler and Scarlett’s parents’ marriage falls apart, their mother takes them to their lake house where they will be spending the summer with their “aunts” (their mom’s bffs) and their daughters.

There’s so much to love about this novel: found family, sisterhood, queer rep, an Indian & Muslim MC and so much more. It’s an engaging read, told from the perspective of all four teens, and one I didn’t want to put down. But I found the girls (apart from Skyler) really hard to relate to. And the na
Amanda Blocker
Sep 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book about friendship, family, and so many different types of love. I found myself irrationally disliking one of the teenage girls at the beginning... until I realized it was because her inner monologue reminded me of my own when I was that age. Reading more about her and leaning in to her story line instead of just cringing helped me learn to be a bit more gentle with my younger self. Who knew this book would basically be like a therapy session?!
Anne-Marie Burgess
Aug 26, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
DNF at 49%

I REALLY wanted to like this book but every time I picked it up, I struggled to tell the characters apart. The narration style between the four girls wasn’t nuanced. As someone whom writes strictly in multiple first person POV, this frustrated me to no end.

Vee
May 12, 2020 marked it as want-to-read-new
HAPPY RELEASE DAY

This one sounds really, really fun.

---------------------------------

Never mind the Hogwarts letter I need a g damned time turner to read all these amazing books
Brittany
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Super cute, fun read perfect for a lazy summer weekend. I had a hard time separating the voices of the four girls, but I loved how friendship was the center focus and enjoyed their company.
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this 7 stars?
Kat
Sep 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
ACTUAL: 4.35 stars

- review to come -
Claire (Book Blog Bird)
So so cute. Really loveable characters smashing the patriarchy whilst drinking Southern Comfort and playing poker. Also also also: it has one of the funniest scenes I’ve ever read involving a bullhorn, and the hottest unzipping of a dress ever.
Seb
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some parts where good but the queer romance was like an afterthought and the plot was all over the place.
S
Feb 21, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written book and interesting enough but if you are looking for FF romance then I suggest you move along. The romance exists but it is not all FF and when it is it takes a very long time to get to. Still well worth the time. 3 stars
Hannah
I was pretty bummed when my request for an ARC for this one got declined, so I went and bought it for my Kindle. I'm not sure if that was the best decision I could have made...but it's also not the worst. And that's a very good way of describing this book. It's very firmly in the "meh" category.

THINGS I LIKED
•Skyler and Ellie's friendship was very sweet and felt authentic.
•As annoying as I kind of found it, Ellie's obsession with Instagram and likes is something I also cared about quite a bit wh
Olivia
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/yafict...

THE SUMMER OF IMPOSSIBILITIES is a YA contemporary about friendship in the vein of THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS. This book follows four girls who have known each other all their lives but are being pulled together once again by their mothers, who are BFFs. Skyler and Scarlett are twins who are each dealing with their own problems. Skyler has juvenile arthritis, which has kept her from softball, a sport she loves. She knows
Brooke Lorren
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't you love summer books? The Summer of Impossibilities by Rachael Allen is a lovely book about summer, friendship, and learning to accept yourself for who you are.

It revolves around four main characters:

Skyler - she suffers from juvenile arthritis, and although she loves playing softball, it's incredibly painful to play. She doesn't want to disappoint her family by telling them her hands hurt.

Scarlett - Sky's twin sister, she's not sure about her boyfriend.

Amelia Grace - She's interested in
Deborah López
Jul 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 5s
there’s a girl called carrie who appears for just one scene in the third chapter of the book. during the rest of it, one of the recurring thoughts that seemed to pop up most often in my mind was: ‘i wonder what that carrie girl is doing right now, her life seemed kind of interesting’. i guess that about sums up my level of excitement and investment in this book, hm.

this was the very definition of bland for me: i definitely didn’t love it, but there wasn’t even enough there for me to hate it. it
Mara (marasfoldedpages)
Thank you to the publisher for sending me this novel for review!

I really really really loved this book. I read the first chapter and was like okay. I read the second chapter and was like oh no that did not just happen. When I read the third chapter I just knew this was going to be a great, hilarious and real story.

At first I wasn't sure about four perspectives. But I LOVED EVERY SINGLE ONE. Each girl had their own personality and problems, and I related to each one which made this novel so much
« previous 1 3 next »
Keiahna Ponce Review 5 1 1 Apr 19, 2021 09:10PM

• We Were Promised Spotlights
  • Late to the Party
  • You Don't Live Here
  • The Tea Dragon Society (Tea Dragon, #1)
  • Aquicorn Cove
  • In the Role of Brie Hutchens...
  • I Kissed Alice
  • Grimworld: Tick, Tock, Tick, Tock
  • The Misadventures of Frederick
  • Looking for Alaska
  • Wayward Son (Simon Snow, #2)
  • She Drives Me Crazy
  • Black Hole Blues and Other Songs from Outer Space
  • Anna Karenina
  • Girl Crushed
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • Look
Quick bio:
Rachael Allen lives in Atlanta, GA where she's working furiously on her PhD in neuroscience. When she's not doing science or writing YA, you can find her chasing after her toddler and her two sled dogs. Her debut YA novel 17 FIRST KISSES, is forthcoming from Harper Teen. Rachael may or may not have had 17 first kisses...luckily she doesn't kiss and tell.

More stuff about me: