Start by marking “Elsie's Holiday” as Want to Read:
Elsie's Holiday

Elsie's Holiday (Elsie Dinsmore #2)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  714 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In the nineteenth century, millions of readers learned the meaning of godly womanhood from a little girl named Elsie. Her commitment to principle in the midst of adversity and her passionate love for Jesus Christ were the theme of twenty-eight volumes spanning her life. This is one of the original twelve volumes presented just as a young lady would have found them one hund ...more
Published July 25th 1993 by Mantle Ministries Press (first published January 1st 1868)

To ask other readers questions about Elsie's Holiday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elsie's Holiday

Briana
Dec 21, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think it's a good sign that I started hoping desperately for Elsie's death...but at least then she could go to heaven, I would feel satisfied, and this series could end at 2 books, instead of 2,000!!! Seriously...there's almost no point to this whole series...
Britt-goodie of newsieness
I've read as much of this as I'm going to. I never want to read this again. It was awful. And boring. And horrible. And no food either.
Holly
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ELSIE'S HOLIDAYS AT ROSELANDS is the sequel to ELSIE DINSMORE. It brings our heroine, sugar-sweet Elsie, into direct conflict with her godless, domineering Papa. Elsie, as introduced in the first volume, is picture-perfect, a little Southern belle living in Virginia in the 1840's. Elsie seems the ideal Christian child...except for her owning slaves, who are referred to throughout the book as inferior beings. (Even Aunt Chloe, Elsie's beloved mammy, is called a "creature.") Elsie doesn't object t ...more
Faith
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic, classic writing, however I feel that the storyline was drawn out a bit too much perhaps. Martha Finley repeatedly used a few situations, and tho it fit her character, I feel that Elsie's crying and dramatic anguish was worked too much. It seemed as though she was always in a turmoil, and while she was, and she was young, I tired of hearing the same thing happening over and over. But that wasn't a big deal, and I really did like the book a lot. If you ever get sick of modern writing, t ...more
Rachel
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 2 daughters have loved all of the Elsie books that they have read. The 17 yo says it's the saddest of the books, but she still couldn't put it down. She has learned a lot from Elsie's attitude and wants to have a stronger Christian testimony as a result. I'm very glad we own all of these books. I read somewhere that Martha Finley was a contemporary of Louise May Alcott, and sold nearly twice as many books as Alcott, but the strong Christian influence of these books allowed them to become lost ...more
Shoshana
Same old Elsie, same old dad. This picks up exactly where Book 1 left off (apparently they were originally published together), and the differences are small. My fervor against the books remains intact, as does my fervor against Elsie's father. Elsie, though? Now that I've had over a year to get used to her existence (and continued publication and popularity, which is what's always worried me more), I mostly just feel sorry for her.
Ariel
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book of the Elsie series was another great success! it especially touched my emotions much more deeply then the first. So much so that I found myself for the first time ever, while reading a book, on the verge of tears. It was a wonderful read and I'm very excited for the next one: Elsie's Girlhood.
Leash
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely the best out of the series.
Nicole G.
Still more didacticism. And some anti-Catholicism, too! Her dad is still a crazy person. However, I have to finish this series now, to see how much more wacky it gets . . .
Rachel
Dec 31, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is a bit Calvinistic in its theology, and it's also a bit uber-Christian; i.e., the Christians are really, really good and the non-Christians are really, really bad.
Partridge Public
Sep 06, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JF Fin
Shelves: juniorfiction
Finley, Martha
Esther Filbrun
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my most favorite book out of all the Elsie stories. Highly recommended. (Full review coming soon.)
Darlene
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
read to my children while home schooling
Grace
Oct 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Grace by: My father
It's been a really long time since I read this book, but as girl I really liked my Elsie Dinsmore books. Great classic books for girls.
Jessica Diaz
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
It has been years since I read these books, but I will say that they are wonderful stories. The outlook on life that Elsie keeps dispite her circumstances can be a great lesson for any age.
Emily
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
{4.5}
Mary Beth
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read except for the strong antiCatholicism.
Jeanette
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great. i can't remember much but I liked it very much.
Hannah
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this series when I was younger. I own almost all of the Elsie Dinsmore books and treasure them even to this day.
Anna
Jun 29, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is so sad.
Becca
Made me cry a WHOLE lot more than any other book I've read. Except maybe the first one. That's only a maybe though...
Mecque
Jan 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a Catholic myself, the climax of this book made me laugh hysterically. Amusingly melodramatic, and a good set up for the next book.
Rania
Jul 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! A good book!
Meadow Frisbie
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Elsie's love for God causes conflict between her and her father. She will have to choose between her beloved earthy father or her heavenly father.
Dawn
Dec 31, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish listening to the book. Too much to dislike- abusive father, weak, wanting to please "heroine" and various other silly characters.
MaryRachel
Oct 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who liked "Elsie Dinsmore"
This was a great book It was sad though :( But if you liked Elsie Dinsmore, you'll like Elsie's Holiday.
Emma
rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2009
Johanna
May 14, 2014
  • From the Ashes (Jennie McGrady Mysteries, #10)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • Mandie and the Charleston Phantom (Mandie Books, #7)
  • Rachel (Ellie's People #3)
  • Pieces of Light
  • So Much More
Martha Finley was a teacher and author of numerous works, the most well known being the 28 volume Elsie Dinsmore series which was published over a span of 38 years. Finley wrote many of her books under the pseudonym Martha Farquharson.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_F... or, http://marthafinley.wordpress.com/
More about Martha Finley...

Elsie Dinsmore (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Elsie Dinsmore (The Original Elsie Classics #1)
  • Elsie's Girlhood (The Original Elsie Classics #3)
  • Elsie's Womanhood (The Original Elsie Classics, #4)
  • Elsie's Motherhood (The Original Elsie Classics #5)
  • Elsie's Children (The Original Elsie Classics #6)
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
  • Grandmother Elsie (The Original Elsie Classics #8)
  • Elsie's New Relations (The Original Elsie Classics #9)
  • Elsie at Nantucket (The Original Elsie Classics #10)
  • The Two Elsies (The Original Elsie Classics #11)