Start by marking “The Lord's University: Freedom and Authority at Byu” as Want to Read:
The Lord's University: Freedom and Authority at Byu

The Lord's University: Freedom and Authority at Byu

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Repeatedly Brigham Young University (the "Lord's University") grabs headlines by censoring art, firing liberal faculty members, and insisting that Moses wrote the Pentateuch. Waterman and Kagel follow these volatile campus events for a ten-year period and place them within the historical context of greater American culture wars and religious change that have other campuses ...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Signature Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lord's University, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord's University

Erik
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mormon-history
This was a very interesting overview of the academic freedom battles that occurred at BYU during the 90's. Although it was a bit one sided (which the author attributes to BYU administration's privacy policies), that arguments that the authors present were expressed clearly. This book made me a bit sad that a university that I attend and love would be so antagonistic to free inquiry. While many would say that BYU has more academic freedom when it comes to tolerance for religious views, I would ha ...more
Brent
Oct 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cultural-study
An anecdotal history of rebels and iconoclasts at BYU during the decades of greatest growth for the university (1950's - 1990's). I recommend it to anyone interested in seeing a different side of BYU, not commonly portrayed by the BYU Administration or LDS Church.
Becky
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Love this book. It is an in-depth look at academic freedom and the surrounding issues at BYU. It gives information from both sides and it is very well documented.
Daryoung
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nf-informational
I can't believe I was there, on campus, during all of this, and had no idea what was going on. Although I have some reservations about Waterman's objectivity, this was very informative to me.
Mike White