Start by marking “The Two Week Curse (Ten Realms, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Two Week Curse (Ten Realms, #1)

The Two Week Curse

(Ten Realms #1)

Thrust into an unknown, unwanted situation, most would feel panic, fear anger and fall into chaos. Erik and Rugrat are not immune to those feelings, but they have stepped into chaos so many times, it is simply a different challenge.

Two weeks ago, Erik lost his legs and his arm.

Today he got a message.

"You have been randomly selected to join the Ten Realms. One may choose to
Published July 3rd 2018 by Michael Chatfield

To ask other readers questions about The Two Week Curse, please sign up.
Jon Ross that's a negative Ghost Writer.…morethat's a negative Ghost Writer.(less)

Start your review of The Two Week Curse (Ten Realms, #1)
Russell Gray
This one started a bit rough, but ultimately it came together. There are a few things that I had to overcome in order to enjoy this book:
1. One of the main characters is named Rugrat
2. The prose reminds me of something that came out of a google translator
3. There is a ton of exposition and a distinct feeling that things are happening because the plot needs them to rather than the characters organically discovering things by trial and error.

Despite these issues, I ended up actually liking this st
Ubik
May 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm coming to believe that there's an inverse relationship between goodreads ratings and quality of the writing. I'm only still listening to this to collect those embarrassingly bad quotes.:

"Eric watched the report with dead eyes .
It was the same report he had seen before he went out on his last patrol.
He closed his eyes as tears appeared at the corners of his eyes."
Said it before, self publishing was a mistake.

Or the scene here he imagines his gravestone:
"Here lies Eric west. Used by many, lov
Naomi
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg
Fun story, but in need of some serious editing.
Lyndon
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg-read
Ummmm.... AWESOME!!

I liked Michael's other books but this was just amazing. I started reading it before bed and that turned out to be a terrible idea, fell asleep about 60% through phone still in hand. Woke up in a weird painful position and pushed on until I finished the book.

After a confusing first chapter that didn't feel very LitRPG I almost put it down, so glad I didn't as this has become my favorite LitRPG book.

It does suffer from Michael's traditional lack of an editor. Lots of spelling
Adam Shook
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn good read

Where to start... this book should get 5 stars but it was rough not at all polished like the emerillia books were too many typos it was like reading the final rough draft. Could use a lot more polishing and refining. Next up the characters while I loved them they seemed a bit OP my main issue with the characters is that our number two rugrat while being in the book since page 1 he wasn't really introduced until 14% mark. In my experience officers dont use nicknames so to have his c
Daniel Kafka
Aug 31, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
0.3/5 Listen. I am baffled by this having such a high rating. This book would have gotten at most a 1 star if I had read it in 8th grade. I'm 31 now. It just doesn't stand up to avid reading.

So why? Well first, the dialog (if you wanna call it that) is some unbearably unrealistic that it distracts from the reading. Characters exist simply to postulate what another character may have been thinking, which is typical in a fantasy, but it's done in such a generic way that it doesn't sound like the
Rajkumar Pagey
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, fantasy
What I loved the most about this book is that there are more than one protagonist.

In many LitRPG books, you can find a protagonist surrounded by friends but the friends are never the protagonists on their own rights.

I love how Eric and Rugrat make a team. They support each other and act like brothers.
Also they both have their own preferences and goals but somehow they combine the goals to become one entity.

Many times it feels as if they won because the writer wanted them to. Too many things happ
Jay Collins
2.5 Stars DNF, It is really just the standard RPG with nothing really note worthy. I have liked other books by the author and this series may get better as it goes but I just found that it comes up a little short. The book does show some promise and I did not hate it or anything. If you love RPG type books than I would try this one if you wanted but I just found it average for the most part. I would like to finish by saying that I do believe a lot of work has gone into this book by the length of ...more
Steve Naylor
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4.0 stars

Out of all the litrpg type books out there, this type is my favorite. Having the litprg elements happen in the real world instead of the online or the virtual world. I enjoy both the transported to a different world and the earth being changed into a world with mana and stats. Both of those are interesting because they combine the use of magic, alchemy, smithing with technology. This allow the author to create almost anything which will always be at least a little different from
C H
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Is this really a M Chatfield book?

It seems that Chatfields account was hacked as someone who writes Chinese soap opera trash uploaded a body cultivation / king of the sword gods novel onto his profile. Is this seriously Chatfields work??? If this is his work then I’m not likely to read anymore of his novels. The inconsistencies within the so called plot line are laughable and the style of writing is childish. It doesn’t makes any sense that this is the same author that wrote the Emerilia series.
Niels Baumgartner
dude that was bloody brilliant!

Just read this. Buy it or whatever. There is a method our esteemed author applies to magic and world systems that never stop blowing me away. Especially Since so many people strive to create a world, and stop before the implications of their world systems, philosophical introductions, and rule changes fully unleash their story telling effects.
The Two Week Curse just breaks the rules of expectation and delivers a powerful story of developed characters, plot, and po
NiteHaze
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 It's good but it also is a bit too much It definitely could have used a bit more editing to fix the flow in the beginning
It's odd because it's a solid litRPG that contains a strong bromance and no misogyny which would usually be a 5 star for me but... I don't know I wasn't really invested.
Conor
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot: 12/15
Character: 12/15
Setting: 20/25
Dialogue: 4/10
Enjoyment: 30/30

Overall: 78/100 (3.9 stars)
Stephen
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good start to a new series, but it has some easily fixed flaws

I enjoyed the Emerillia series so I wanted to check out this book. I enjoyed it but have two big gripes about the novel, they are admittedly very petty and do not impact the rating of the book. 1) He names one of the main characters Rugrat, and every time I try to imagine him in my head I see little rascals images. 2) The book need at least one more pass from a good editor, there aren’t too many glaring issues but I did have to rer
Matthew
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Parallel Worlds and Xianxia Story

The story follows two affable characters, Rugrat and Eric. Rugrat is a wonderfully written redneck and Erik plays the role of an exasperated and loyal brother in arms.

The two main characters interactions between each other bring interesting banter to the different parts of the story that other wise progress too slowly. It’s a cultivation novel and the main characters often take a great deal of time learning more about the system and how they can leverag
Stanislas Sodonon
This book was suggested to me, so I had to check it out.

This book needs an editor.

Desperately.

I just stopped counting the number of repetitions, bad grammar, bad phrasing, overuse of superlatives, etc... It got to a point where I consciously decided to ignore them to continue the story.

The story started really well, if a bit corny. I liked the fact that the author took some time to try to establish the characters in their original setting, so we don't just get dropped with blank-slate MCs and
Bob
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unique

I've never seen a story like this. I've thought of one, but havent the story telling ability of Mr Chatfield. Thank you for writing this story.
If you like RPG, this story will be exactly what you wanted to read.

Two military men, one a sniper and the other a combat medic, are transported to a kingdom where they are challanged to learn, and to grow, as they venture from fight to saving villages and people (think Dungeons and Dragons in a real world setting).

This first level, or Realm, takes
GaiusPrimus
I was debating between a 3 or 4 star and settled on the 3.

While the story is entertaining, I took umbrage to the info-dumps and what seems to be the "Dave" effect in Chatfield's writing. By that I mean the main character in the Emerilia series being able to do anything and everything.

This just leads to internal inconsistencies that completely obliterate the willing suspension of disbelief of the reader.

The examples are many but a lot of them are spoiler-ish so I won't add them here, but ultimat
Neet
May 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had a lot of potential but it felt like Chatfield decided to be boring. The military hero worship and the white savior complex were bad enough but it was soaked through and through with wish fulfillment. Every character that were not the hero, worshiped or feared them it got really stale after the hundredth time. It was really hard to read until the Alva citizens arrived. But even then they fell into the same worship or fear pile. All the characters talk the same and it would have been ...more
Wilhelm Eyrich
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man this was a fun read.

The way magic and the skills work is wonderful, and them using their knowledge of Earth to gain an advantage over it is thrilling.

Seem pretty OP but that’ll all come crashing down by the next book and I don’t agree with how they’re making their way forward. They know they can make spells and the like, why don’t they experiment with that more when everything else is experimented with?

Great dialogues, pace could be a bit faster and could use a bit more crafting but tha
Marjoan Baldera
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Love the story, the (2) MCs instead of just one, I love how cultivation and litrpg was put together, leveling was great and wasn't rushed but they're not weak either. Benefits to learning and leveling don't seem overpowered. Light humor, description of battle a could be better but he took his time writing it out so that was great. Story oberall was great! Definitely a future recommendation to my friends. Michael Chatfield don't stop this series it's gold, make as many as you can!!! I'll
Matthew
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Author is bad. Book has a decent premise and starts off ok.... but the author seems to forget about things he wrote earlier. Sometimes he writes useless dialog to fill word count in a chapter then completely contradicts what he wrote the next chapter. The book seriously reads as if the author had to fill word count per chapter and later had to cut a following chapters word count. Will never read another book by this author.
Umar
Feb 01, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, litrpg, ebooks
I couldn't finish this book, it felt like it could get more interesting but there was just too much explanation about Mana and all those things going around, I couldn't wrap my head all around it. There was just a single point where I got into the story and was instantly pulled out by the explanation of Mana regeneration that went for two pages. Like, gimme a break. ...more
Brad Theado
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg, 2019
Wow really good. You have to like magical detail to really enjoy this.
Mark
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
this book: 2 stars; series: 2.5 stars

Two war veterans Erik and Rugrat are teleported from Earth into a fantasy video game world and use an intense work ethic, firearms, and the author's intervention to become individuals of great power. The writing is hackneyed, characters shallow, world generic. As the series goes on it weirdly starts spending more time on bureaucratic matters -- like "what should the proper leasing arrangements be for property in our city center", for instance.

So, now the obvi
Jonathan Wilson
4.75 Stars
aggums
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, fantasy, 2020, litrpg
i'm not entirely sure whether to rate this book two or three stars. i'm going with two for now.

this is the first true "litRPG" book i've read. (that is to say, sword art online-esque isekai stuff where people get transported into a game world, fully aware it's a game. how this genre differs from regular fantasy is that it gives you ALL the numbers, stat sheets, XP, skill bonuses, all of the number crunch you actually get in video games, and more.)

the main reason i'm giving it two stars is that t
Jose Cruz
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I didn't think I was going to like this book to much. Then I started listening. I knew from the very first chapter that I was going to really be into this series, and I was not wrong. I will note that some will not like the way this book starts due to some bad language and crude jokes. There is a lot of talk you would hear military persons talking to each other in real life. However, as a military veteran myself I found that it made me feel right at home and reminiscing the comradery I ...more
Paul D Gittins
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing.

This book starts with a group of battle hardened mercenaries. They’re rough, both in language and action. The description of their battle encounter was almost enough to make me set this book aside. I persevered and discovered that there’s so much more to this book.

The aftermath of the opening battle leaves one man with severe wounds, others dead, and Rugrat almost unscathed. The two survivors also discover that they have contracted “The Two Week Curse.”

The curse proves to be more bl
Jim Arona
Jul 16, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It is very hard to find positive things to say about Mr Chatfield's outpouring. It is hard to know if his expressed love affair with American militaria is a ploy to attract more readers, which would be kind of sad, or if it is honest admiration, which would be kind of pathetic. I could not decide, and in any case, I could not find it in me to find it a welcome approach to writing.
Also, and this is perhaps ever less forgivable, is his woeful lack of vocabulary. I use the term outpouring advisedl
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• He Who Fights with Monsters: A LitRPG Adventure
  • Inflame (The Completionist Chronicles, #5)
  • Mark of the Founder (Beastborne Chronicles #1)
  • Reborn: Apocalypse Volume 1 (Reborn: Apocalypse, #1)
  • Asgard Awakening
  • Ruthless (The Completionist Chronicles, #4)
  • Woad Children (Challenger's Call, #3)
  • Oblivion's Blade (Endless Online #1)
  • Civil War (The Rogue Dungeon, #2)
  • World Quest (Codename: Freedom, #3)
  • Warrior's Oath (Silver Fox & The Western Hero #4)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Broken Council
  • The Rogues (The Idle System #2)
  • Brace For the Wolves (Challenger's Call, #2)
  • Sacrificial Pieces (The Gam3, #3)
  • Bone Dungeon (Elemental Dungeon #1)
  • Troll Nation (The Rogue Dungeon Book #3)
I'm an army veteran who enjoys long walks in foreign countries and some good beer with videos games at night! I write character driven books for the simple joy of it :)
I have written a Space Opera series called the Free Fleet as well as a Hard Military Science Fiction Series, Harmony War continued in the Maraukian War Series and LitRPG series Emerilia.
Currently I am working on the 10 Realms Serie

Ten Realms (7 books)
  • The Second Realm (Ten Realms, #2)
  • The Third Realm (Ten Realms, #3)
  • The Fourth Realm (Ten Realms, #4)
  • The Fifth Realm (Ten Realms, #5)
  • The Sixth Realm Part 1 (The Ten Realms #6)
  • The Sixth Realm Part 2 (The Ten Realms #7)

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...
“You look like you’re trying out for the movie Gladiator and you stepped in gold paint,” 0 likes
“An increase of 10% Agility would increase Erik’s Agility from 70 to 77.” 0 likes