Start by marking “Mr. Dalloway: A Novella” as Want to Read:
Mr. Dalloway: A Novella

Mr. Dalloway: A Novella

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  80 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A virtuoso performance of postmodern daring, Mr. Dalloway offers a rich augmentation of Virginia Woolf's classic novel.It is June 29, 1927ÑRichard and Clarissa Dalloway's thirtieth anniversary and also a day of historical significance. Richard has arranged a surprise party for his wife. As he leaves their house in Westminster to buy flowers for the party, his thoughts turn ...more
Published July 1st 1999 by Sarabande Books

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Dalloway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Dalloway

May 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Having read this immediately after finishing the original story, Mrs. Dalloway, I think it might be fair to say that I might have been on a bit of Dalloway-overkill. This is essentially the same story as the Virginia Woolf book, but told from the point of view of Mr. Dalloway. It's like what Margaret Atwood did with The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus.

I felt Lippincott did a pretty decent job with the Woolf story. He did his best to maintain a similar writing style, but Woolf's sty
Jeffrey Richards
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent little "sequel" to Mrs. Dalloway by Woolf. Lippencott sets his novella about two years after the "events" that occurred in Mrs. Dalloway and, even though the story does move from narrator to narrator (Mr. Richard Dalloway; Mrs. Clarissa Dalloway; Elizabeth Dalloway, their daughter; and Robert Davis), the main focus of the novel is Mr. Richard Dalloway, as evident by the title. Lippincott recreates the famous stream-of-consciousness format of the original novel but, for some reason, it ...more
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
No stretch. Virginia Woolfe taught me to write. Well, I'm no endorsement for her pedagogical powers, many serve as living proof of her abilities. Woolfe, whether through personal/critical essay or fiction, subtly blends crisp phrasing, intellectual study, and moving development. I can think of no writer more iconic nor deserving of praise for her linguistic use in the Twentieth Century.

On racks of new fiction and employee recommendations at bookstores, I find an increasing number of works that
I suppose one's ability to appreciate this book (and Michael Cunningham's The Hours) is predicated on one's admiration for the distracted circling stream of consciousness prose in Woolf's original work. I happen to adore Mrs. Dalloway, the way the words ripple and reverberate in the minds of Clarissa and her friends. I was geared up to love this queer retelling of Mrs. Dalloway from the perspective of Clarissa's sympathetic husband Richard.

Phrases like 'out the door, out of his house and the inh
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library_books, lgbt
I kept feeling this one must be some sort of parody, or else the lower upper class of that time lead incredibly vacuous lives. At the party (second part of the story), names are thrown out like a pitching machine gone amok, with point-of-view changing every couple of paragraphs with no warning!

I read Woolf's book years ago, recalling no details, so can't compare this one with that.
Yancey Gulley
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
corey found this for me in a used bookstore in Portland. it is an interesting take on the life of the man who shared a home and love with clarissa. what is in his mind? who does he secretly love and loath? where does he go on his walks? and what famous american ends up interwoven with this couple?
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Spare and lovely and very much in keeping with Mrs. Dalloway (obviously).
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well, the second half is better than the first in that Lippincott has some original material to work with. But lordy, I found this book tiresome--particularly the almost meeting of Virginia Woolf.
Sarabande Books
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Finalist for the 2000 Lambda Literary Award in Fiction
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting re-do of Woolf's novel
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Don't put down Woolf without treating yourself to Lippincott. My friend and hero. These books should be shelved side by side.
Dec 01, 2013
Nov 28, 2013
Ciobanu Daniela Maria
Nov 20, 2013
Lauren DeVoe
rated it did not like it
Nov 12, 2013
Sep 16, 2016
Karen George
Mar 23, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
Robin’s latest book is BLUE TERRITORY: A MEDITATION ON THE LIFE AND ART OF JOAN MITCHELL. His collaboration with Julia Watts, RUFUS + SYD, a novel for young adults, will be published in spring 2016. Robin is also the author of the novels IN THE MEANTIME, OUR ARCADIA, and MR. DALLOWAY, as well as the short story collection, THE ‘I’ REJECTED. Robin’s fiction has received nominations for the IMPAC Du ...more
More about Robin Lippincott...