Start by marking “She's Faking It” as Want to Read:
She's Faking It

She's Faking It

You can’t put a filter on reality.

Bree Bozeman isn’t exactly pursuing the life of her dreams. Then again, she isn’t too sure what those dreams are. After dropping out of college, she’s living a pretty chill life in the surf community of Pacific Beach, San Diego…if “chill” means delivering food as a GrubGetter, and if it means “uneventful”.

But when Bree starts a new Instagr
Published June 30th 2020 by Graydon House

To ask other readers questions about She's Faking It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She's Faking It

Start your review of She's Faking It
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about social media, how we fake it to break it and over share our embellished, photoshopped, ultra filtered lives with the world. And it’s also great mockery of Secret and positive energy, feeling good scams that some wise and sneaky people benefit from other people’s insecurities and miseries.

This approach of the book and the social influencers’ boot-camp parts deserved five stars.

Let’s meet Bree living by one of my favorite seaside city: San Diego: amazing beaches, water sports,
Susanne  Strong
You know what they say: Fake it until you Make it. Good thing since Bree has been down on her luck since her car died on her and she lost her job as a GrubGetter.

With the help of her sister Natasha, Bree however is hoping that her life will turn around, especially now that she is becoming a nano-social media influencer, is getting noticed and has met her new next door neighbor who happens to be Trey Cantu, the famous surfer.

Once Bree realizes what is real and true however, all bets are off. Ca
Berit☀️✨
What a fun easy beachy read. Kristin Rockaway made me feel good, laugh and smile with this sassy little tale. Bree is doing her thing and maybe it’s not what she thought she’d be doing, but it’s good enough. She is a top Grub Getter with loads of five star reviews. She’s living in Pacific Beach and maybe her studio apartment should be condemned, but it’s all hers. Her boyfriend may have recently dumped her but, she’s got a great BFF and a supportive sister. Then Bree’s car goes kaput and she doe ...more
Kendall
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness!!! Another slam dunk for Kristin Rockaway!!

I cannot say enough great things about this author. She truly has a way with her words and I devoured She's Faking It. I've been in a weird funk this year with reading... but I read this gem in a little over a day.

I loved how this was so relatable. Having the love/hate relationship with social media. Bree is struggling to survive and truly find herself as a young woman. Bree decides to take on a new adventure in the world of social media
DJ Sakata
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Favorite Quotes:

I could almost hear the squeak and clank of wheels turning in her head as she tried to piece together the solution to this problem.

Everyone always talked about finding your passion as if it was this evasive creature you had to smoke out of a burrow. They also seemed to operate under the assumption that everyone had a passion to find. But I had long since accepted the sad reality that I was born passionless.

“Did you Google me?” He looked horrified, as if I’d admitted to hacking hi
Larry H
Jul 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
Kristin Rockaway's latest book, She's Faking It is a cute, insightful commentary on our social media-obsessed society and the pressure to succeed.

Bree knows that she’s not living her best life—she dropped out of college, her car is barely running, she ignores her bills because she doesn’t have enough money, and her food delivery job isn’t glamorous. But it’s all hers, you know?

When a series of events leave her jobless and car-less, her hyper-organized older sister encourages her to follow th
Morgan
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun read with a delightful main character. This is light entertainment for the moments when you need a break from the real world.

Bree, our heroine, is a college drop-out, her live-in boyfriend of three years had just dumped her to go to South America to ‘find himself’. She is working a bottom of the rung job for a food delivery service - that is until her old beat-up Honda Civic dies.

She turns to Instagramming which gains her the attention of a self-proclaimed self-help guru. Things are lookin
Nursebookie
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Bree, a 25 yo premed college drop out, is living beach side in San Diego, and delivering food for GrubGetter - just until she figures out what to do with her life. Well, that was four years ago.

Suddenly, life catches up, and her life spirals downward - losing her car - her only source of income, her boyfriend leaving her with all the bills, school loans left unpaid, and Bree scraping to pay rent.

Hitting rock bottom and desperate to make a change, she reads a self-help book on how to succeed, w
Amy
Jun 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
I know there are quite a few books out right now featuring social media influencers in some manner but I really liked the spin the author put on that trendy theme. Bree isn’t an established influencer by any means, she has an Instagram account but she rarely uses it until she decides to use it as her own personal vision board. Before she can get very far in her plan to visualize herself into a better life she stumbles into becoming a nano influencer and becomes super caught up into crafting a we ...more
Kate Vocke (bookapotamus)
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Have you, or would you ever, fake it to make it?⁣ Bree is stuck. She’s 25, has zero ambitions, no education, things are steadily falling apart around her, and she needs to make money fast. ⁣

So why not start an Instagram account and make money being an influencer?

Because It’s SO EASY RIGHT?!⁣

But when her account gets boosted by a self-help guru, she may just be faking it straight to internet stardom!⁣

Bree however, starts to make some serious bad decisions, and she realizes that Insta filter is
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
I felt this book was relevant to today's world of social media. With influencing, followers, likes, hashtags! The need to make your life look perfect to everyone else, but behind closed doors, it's not what it really seems. People who try to impress through their social media posts. You know those kind of people, we all do. That is a huge thing happening in today's society! That part was so relatable! I also enjoyed her relationship with her sister. Some of the things that Bree did, annoyed me a ...more
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a really cute read. I loved the relationship between Bree and her sister Natasha. No matter what was going on, they always had each other's backs. I loved how this book made fun of the overabundance of "self-help" gimmicks out there, really giving you no real advice but simply taking your money for this and that to "help" you on your journey. I loved as well that it poked fun of all the perfect Instagrams and the lengths people will go to in order to come off as well liked and ...more
Randi (randi_reads)

Twenty-five year old Bree Bozeman is living paycheck to paycheck, deep in college debt that she has dropped out of and living at a not so legal (but cheap!) apartment. She really needs direction and to get her life together, but she has no idea what that is. She's a mess. With the help of her older sister, Natasha, and lifestyle guru, Demi DiPalma, Bree decides to become an Instagram influencer @breebythesea where she can "fake it til she makes it."

There was a light romance in this sto
Zoe
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Uplifting, spirited, and sweet!

She’s Faking It is a breezy, humorous rom-com that takes us into the life of Bree Bozeman as she meanders through all sorts of highs and lows, from struggling to make ends meet, losing her job, becoming an Instagram influencer, an unexpected visit from her selfish ex, and a blossoming new romance.

The writing style is light and witty. The characters are aimless, quirky, and endearing. And the plot is a charmingly amusing tale full of life, love, tricky situations, t
Melissa
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I feel like social media influencing is a big topic these days, but Kristin Rockaway told this story in an interesting way.

This was a really good story overall. I liked the connection that Bree had with her sister and her best friend. And, of course, Trey was a nice enhancement. The descriptions brought everything to life but didn't take away from the narrative. I could relate to Bree's fear of the ocean. This novel reminded me of Stuck in Downward Dog by Chantel Guertin, but for the social med
Steph's Romance Book Talk
4.25 Stars / 1 Steam Fans

She's Faking It is a story about a woman trying to find her place in the world. In a world where social media is the new way to prove yourself, Bree finds ways to improve herself, possibly. Throughout Bree's journey, she finds that things are not always what they appear. There were moments during the beginning of the book that I found Bree to be annoying, privileged, and unrelatable; however, I am happy that I finished the book to see the entire journey.

Video review av
Kris - My Novelesque Life
DNF @25%
2020; Graydon House/HQN/HarperCollins

I enjoyed How to Hack a Heartbreak as I found the online dating storyline interesting and a bit different. In She's Faking It, Rockaway looks at Instagram and influencers. As a bookstagrammer (very small time) I was into the idea. I picked up this book a few times and then gave up as I did not feel any investment in Bree and her journey. I am pretty picky on romance books (well, most genres) and can be a bit of a moody reader.

***I received a complime
Lacey
Thank you to Kristin Rockaway, Harlequin Books & NetGalley for a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review. I read this as a participant of the Harlequin Books 2020 Summer Reads Blog Tour.

I read Kristin Rockaway’s How to Hack a Heartbreak last summer and I absolutely adored it. Kristin Rockaway is becoming an auto-buy/request author for me! Her writing is spectacular in She’s Faking It! If you’re looking for a quick, fun summer read, definitely pick this one up.

Bree, a 25-year old col
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I contributed this review to Really Into This

Check out all of our reviews at https://reallyintothis.com
Happy Reading, friends!

Special thanks to Harlequin for providing our copy in exchange for an honest & fair review.

I really enjoyed this one. I loved How To Hack a Heartbreak by Kristin Rockaway & I've been looking forward to this one! Instantly. I connected with the main character, Bree. She's going through a huge transition in her life. She hasn't made the best decisions this far & finds herse
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
Even though I have read (and enjoyed) a book by this author before, I was surprised with just how much I liked this novel.

This is a book that along with being fun and humorous, captures the truly negative aspects of social media and the harm that comparison can cause through falsehoods that people create. Even though there were some moments that were dramatized for entertainment, I could easily see some of the situations in this novel happening in real life.

This was a really enjoyable read but
Lorilin
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, fiction
Bree Bozeman is struggling. She lives in a disgusting, not-quite-legit apartment over a stranger’s garage, which only reminds her of the loser ex-boyfriend who recently left her. Her car just died, which means she also just lost her job as a food delivery person. She has no money and no idea how she’s going to make her next rent payment.

Her uber-organized and successful sister is quickly losing patience with Bree, so she finally recommends Bree look into the teachings of popular self-help guru,
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
I went in to this book a little skeptical about the plot, but was pleasantly surprised with how the story moved along. Bree is down on her luck and trying to find a way to make ends meet when she is given a book by her sister written by a self-help star. After reading it, she decides to take the advice and run with it. Trey Cantu is a surfer with a past that he is hiding from. These two decide to see where their attraction leads, but things get mixed up and there are misunderstandings. The story ...more
Sharon
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
Bree's life hasn't exactly panned out the way she wanted it to.
She's working as a food delivery driver, her car is falling apart, she hasn't really moved on since her relationship ended seven months ago, and she's fairly sure that the apartment she rents is being let illegally. When she stumbles upon the beautiful feed of Instagram Super Influencer Demi DiPalma, Bree wonders if she too could manifest her dreams to become an insta-worthy reality.

I LOVED this. It was set in a beach community in Sa
Donna Hines
If only you can photo shop everything...
It's so easy to get distracted, to lose ourselves, and to feel lost in uncertainty with the social media frenzy today.
Bree is a hard working gal next door living paycheck to paycheck after quitting school.
She's now trying to find her way in the harsh reality that only the top 1% seem cushioned for job security and vast earning potentials.
So, she decides to check out Instagram and post a few items till one of those posts gets noticed by Demi owner of a life
Caitlyn Lynch
Jul 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-fiction
Bree Bozeman is, to put it bluntly, a flake. A college dropout who’s scraping by in the gig economy, making food deliveries in a junk old car and living in an apartment that’s definitely not up to code, she has no plan and no direction… but what makes her different from a lot of twentysomethings is that she’s aware she has a problem. One which is brought into sharp focus when her car dies, leaving her jobless and desperate.

Bree’s sister Natasha comes to her rescue. Natasha’s a professional organ
ABookwormWithWine
Another fun romcom from Kristin Rockaway! She's Faking It would make the perfect beach/summer read, it's on the lighter side of things and it made for a good palate cleanser after the heavier books I've been reading lately. I loved so many things about this book including but not limited to Bree's character, the theme of fake it until you make it, and all of the drama that ensues after she loses her GrubGetter job.

Once again I listened to the audio and this time the narrator was Soneela Nankani.
Samantha (WLABB)
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

I am always intrigued by books that take on the world of social media, and I thought Rockaway did a good job taking us into the world of social media influencers. Sometimes it was silly and over the top, but I enjoyed seeing Bree figure out some things about her life. I would have like the romance to have a bit more focus, but I was happy with where Bree landed at the end of it all.

BLOG | INSTAGRAM |TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN | FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Katie
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up.

This was a fun read! I wasn't expecting much, but I was drawn in by the cover. Honestly I was worried it was going to be a cringy romance with graphic sex scenes but instead we got a kind of "coming of age" story with a little bit of romance.

Bree is in her 20s but has some growing up to do. Bree works hard but she sells herself short and can barely make ends meet. What ensues is a headlong journey through the fake-it-till-you-make-it world of Instagram. Fake pictures, fake w
Ceylan (CeyGo)
Jun 26, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley, 2020
A college drop out ... a Mary Kondo style sister ...a hot surf pro 🔥... instagram influencers .. a stingray sting ... burritos 🌯... the ocean

This is a cute beach read . I enjoyed the sisterly relationship in the book and the social media components .. the romance was ok but a bit lacking ..

Book rating : 3.5⭐️
Cover rating : 4 🌟

Thank you to Harlequin Trade Publishing and NetGalley for this eARC
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
Engaging, funny and it helped combat my slump! I wanted to kick Bree about a thousand times and also snoozed at Trey and his boring self, but overall it was a solid read. Not great, but engaging.

Full review to maybe come.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• One True Loves
  • The Shadows
  • Loathe at First Sight
  • A Woman Is No Man
  • The Secret Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #5)
  • Marriage on Madison Avenue (Central Park Pact, #3)
  • In Five Years
  • The Second Home
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • We Have Always Lived in the Castle
  • Tweet Cute
  • Anna K: A Love Story (Anna K, #1)
Kristin Rockaway is a native New Yorker and recovering corporate software engineer. After working in the IT industry for far too many years, she finally traded the city for the surf and chased her dreams out to Southern California, where she spends her days happily writing stories instead of code. When she’s not working, she enjoys spending time with her husband and son, browsing the aisles of her ...more

Articles featuring this book

Looking to start off your new year with something sweet? Don't worry, we've got plenty to keep you busy. Whether you're looking for a...
“What we had wasn't love. It was inertia. An excuse to never move forward.” 0 likes